Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood (36985 Views)

Borno Government Set To Demolish Brothels And Illegal Beer Parlours(photos) / Sambisa Forest As Tourist Centre As Nigerian Army & Borno Government Collaborate / Kwara State Governor Bans Sale And Consumption Of Alcohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by MrAJQ(m): 3:44pm On Jan 12, 2017
The Borno State Government has banned the sale of alcohol in the state with effect from Friday, January, 20 2017.

Also banned are brothels and spots where illicit drugs are sold and consumed except for military and para military formations.

This was made known by the Attorney General of the state, Barr. Shehu Lawan who is also the Commissioner for Justice.

The Attorney General told journalists at a news conference in Maiduguri that the government’s decision became necessary as some of the activities are “Clearly regulated or out rightly banned by law.”

Other activities banned are:

• Illegal operator of motor parks
• Patent medicine stores
• Baby factories
• Brothels
• Sales of alcohol
• Illicit drugs
• Use of shanties and illegal structures
• Charcoal and firewood
• Use of wrong plate number or unregistered vehicles

The state government also warned those engaged in sales of alcohol particularly in “Galadima, Gamboru, Moduganari, Wukari, Hot bite, Baga road, Mairi, London Ciki, Artillery and Village along Giwa barracks”.

“By this announcement sale of alcohol is only legal in “military and para military formations known as “Mammy markets” as provided by the liquor Business prohibition Law, 2000.”

Barrister Lawan said a committee in conjunction with security agents will monitor and ensure strict compliance and offenders will be apprehended and prosecuted accordingly.

http://www.channelstv.com/2017/01/12/borno-government-bans-sale-consumption-of-alcohol/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Blue3k(m): 3:50pm On Jan 12, 2017
Prostitution legal before? Alcohol sale banned oh well. Please bann yourself from collecting vat from alcoholic beverages as well.

124 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 12, 2017
supported

2 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by mengho(m): 3:53pm On Jan 12, 2017
Hehehe, gud, I remember when I went to low-cost near Giwa barack, the shops are just full of star, Hynessy, Gulder & gunnes. it was even hard for me to get common malt drink

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 12, 2017
I thought Nigeria is a secular state...cos I'm not understanding what alcohol has got to do with anything.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Blue3k(m): 3:58pm On Jan 12, 2017
DDeliverer:
I thought Nigeria is a secular state...cos I'm not understanding what alcohol has got to do with anything.

Secular state can bann alcohol. Happened alot in last century. Religion and moralism big factors in decision to sway politicians. It's same reason drugs like marijuana are banned even though they're health wise less dangerous than alcohol.

You can find a few dry pockets in United States aswell. Funny enough your drive up the next city 15 minutes away and buy the alcohol.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by dfav: 4:07pm On Jan 12, 2017
All these are some of the conditions needed to get Saudi Arabia salafis gov't financial support. ..

More of the sharia rules are coming

31 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by MrAJQ(m): 4:12pm On Jan 12, 2017
dfav:
All these are some of the conditions needed to get Saudi Arabia salafis gov't financial support. ..

So

5 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 12, 2017
mengho:
Hehehe, gud, I remember when I went to low-cost near Giwa barack, the shops are just full of star, Hynessy, Gulder & gunnes. it was even hard for me to get common malt drink

Sahel Guest Inn is still operating, I don't know who they are lying to

2 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 12, 2017
DDeliverer:
They are bunch of hypocrites. In Maiduguri there's a bubbling night-stripper-adult club called 'Sahel' and it's still operating

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Blue3k(m): 4:14pm On Jan 12, 2017
Milonis:

Sahel Guest Inn is still operating, I don't know who they are lying to

I'm guessing the brothels are still operating as well to.

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by MrAJQ(m): 4:16pm On Jan 12, 2017
DDeliverer:

But Muslims found it difficult to practice their religion in the East.

Though Banning Alcohol has nothing to do with Religion

3 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 12, 2017
DDeliverer:
They banned sale of alcohol, they didn't say you cant drink it but they banned it.
They banned prostitution as well, you can engage in it but they say they dont want in their state.
Nigeria is secular we agree but who has alcohol or prostitution helped lately
What is wrong is wrong and every state government has a say to how things are being run in their territory cos if any social vice escalates via this, the same people will come here to ti criticize the government for not being proactive.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by ALTERNATEID: 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2017
Prostitution is illegal and that's understandable. But stopping people from selling and consumption of alcohol is illegal and a breach of the fundamental human right of the people who desire to sell and consume alcohol. The prohibition should be challenged before a court of competent jurisdiction.

18 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by project8(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2017
Good moves

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Emekamex(m): 4:26pm On Jan 12, 2017
Blue3k:

Secular state can bann alcohol. Happened alot in last century. Religion and moralism big factors in decision to sway politicians. It's same reason drugs like marijuana are banned even though the health wise less dangerous than alcohol.

You can find a few dry pockets in United States aswell. Funny enough your drive up the next city 15 minutes away and by the alcohol.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

Justdulla:

They banned sale of alcohol, they didn't say you cant drink it but they banned it.
They banned prostitution as well, you can engage in it but they say they dont want in their state.
Nigeria is secular we agree but who has alcohol or prostitution helped lately
What is wrong is wrong and every state government has a say to how things are being run in their territory cos if any social vice escalates via this, the same people will come here to ti criticize the government for not being proactive.

If various states can have their own laws, why was Fayose condemned by the north and some APC folks for banning grazing?
It is therefore clear to say that each state should be allowed to make and implement its own laws regardless the feelings of other citizens in different regions.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by momentarylapse: 4:28pm On Jan 12, 2017
How many times? Abeg make all these mallams go siddon for inside dirty! Who like olosho and shayo pass them?

13 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by project8(m): 4:29pm On Jan 12, 2017
dfav:

see how person dey think. nawaoo

2 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
Blue3k:

I'm guessing the brothels are still operating as well to.
Actively operating! (if there's anything like that). I don't know if you know anything about Maiduguri city but all the popular 'red light' districts are if anything bubbling the more.
My hatred for the media is only increasing

1 Like

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
Emekamex:

If various states can have their own laws, why was Fayose condemned for banning grazing?
Who condemned him
The media was justbthe one talking thrash
did the FG say a thing. If me i were fayose, i would even chase them outta Ekiti state. Every governor has the right to protect his citizens, i see no crime in that.

2 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Blue3k(m): 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2017
Emekamex:

If various states can have their own laws, why was Fayose condemned for banning grazing?

People have opinions that's why. He had legal right to do it but not everyone agreed.
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Emekamex(m): 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2017
Justdulla:

Who condemned him
The media was justbthe one talking thrash
did the FG say a thing. If me i were fayose, i would even chase them outta Ekiti state. Every governor has the right to protect his citizens, i see no crime in that.
Miyetti cattle association and APC condemned him for it.

The decision ofGovernor Ayodele Fayoseto ban grazing and cattle rearing in Ekiti stateraised a lot of comments among Nigerians.The latest reaction from the Governor of Bauchi state,Mohammed Abubakar condemned Fayose for his comments about the Fulani herdsmen Abubakar said“In a democracy, provisions have been made for anybody that is aggrieved with anything in the country to seek redress. Instead of resorting to makingsuch public pronouncements, there arelaid down laws to follow.

http://pulse.ng/local/fulani-herdsmen-bauchi-governor-slams-fayose-for-banning-grazing-id5081321.html

3 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2017
Emekamex:

Miyetti cattle association and APC condemned him for it.
Is it APC or MIYETTI that fayose answers to?
He answers to his people and the Federal Government that allocates resources to him.
In Nigeria if tou wana take everyones opinion into consideration, you will use 4 years to settle dispute.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by idupaul: 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2017
People still dey drink alcohol for Borno?
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by TeleboiZ005(m): 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2017
J
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Emekamex(m): 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2017
Justdulla:

Is it APC or MIYETTI that fayose answers to?
He answers to his people and the Federal Government that allocates resources to him.
In Nigeria if tou wana take everyones opinion into consideration, you will use 4 years to settle dispute.

That is why I mentioned that people from other regions should not get angry when laws that are against their interests are passed in other places as they are doing to others presently.

3 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 12, 2017
Emekamex:

That is why I mentioned that people from other regions should not get angry when laws that are against their interests are passed in other places as they are doing to others presently.
yh u right
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by arewaboy01(m): 5:09pm On Jan 12, 2017
we'll still gt high on our Grass
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by doctokwus: 5:14pm On Jan 12, 2017
Is a man marrying @least 4wives not a form of prostitution?
Hypocrites.The highest percentage of gays and prostitutes loving men are in the North,and they are mostly amongts the élites there who dont seem to control their obsession with male buttholes.
Shameless hypocrites that do horrible things behind the religion they cover themselves with.

27 Likes

Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by EbiFriday(m): 5:19pm On Jan 12, 2017
Good for them. But e no concern me.
Re: Borno Government Bans Sale Of Alcohol, Brothels, Charcoal And Firewood by noetic5: 5:26pm On Jan 12, 2017
hypocrites

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Hands Over 35km Apapa-oworonshoki Expressway To Dangote For Repair / SARS Kill Man For Smoking Weed In Port-Harcourt. Graphic Photos / Senator Akpabio Apologises For Leaving PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.