Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,913 members, 7,838,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers (67210 Views)

Plateau: How Nigerian Govt Encourage Murderers – Amnesty International / Victor Banjo, The Yoruba Biafran Soldier: What You Don't Know About The Lt. Col. / January 15,1966 Coup:conversation Between Lt.col Pam And His Murderers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by victorvezx(m): 10:25pm On Jan 15, 2017
zendy:
I think it is really stupid for anyobe to say that what a few Igbo officers did on the 15th of July 1966 represents the entire Igbo nation. Where these officers acting on behalf of the Igbo nation? So why call it an Igbo coup? What ethnic group were Major Ademoyega, Captain Adeleke and Lt Oyewole who all participated in the coup? I will never support a coup plotter but people should stop distorting issues. It was not an Igbo coup because the the coupists had no mandate from the Igbo nation to conduct any coup.
Keep quite. Do u want to deny the fact that there was wild celebration in the east after the coup? The truth is that the Igbos supported the coup because they saw it was their kit and kin who carried it out. It was ur celebrations in the north that led them to butcher u people there

7 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by femarse: 10:26pm On Jan 15, 2017
ad for all your information nzeogwu never see him self as an Igbo u can read Obasanjo "my command " and why we struck " he see himself as full Hausa man so much they Cal him ck nzeogwu the K means Kaduna

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 10:28pm On Jan 15, 2017
femarse:
he see himself as full Hausa man so much they Cal him ck nzeogwu the K means Kaduna
I see. No wonder he fought on the side of Biafra. He could have made the journey back to Kaduna to go fight on the side of the Federal Forces not so?

7 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by ipodstinks: 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

No, Ademoyega, Adeleke and Oyewole never killed anybody, they never even carried guns. They were just cooks to Nzeogwu and other 'Ibo coup plotters' in yoruba skulls. grin grin
answer his question first na. He said you should mention anyone killed by the yoruba solders. Why digressing?

5 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by laudate: 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2017
logica:
Even before then, the "Biafran Liberation Force" was held up at a bridge at Ore by about 180 soldiers before they received backup from Abeokuta and Ibadan. An old soldier amongst this group of 180 told the story 2 years ago (widely reported in the dailies).

Yes, it was Major Raphael Iluyomade. He commanded the Nigerian troops. His platoon was initially made up of 32 soldiers, but they later received a reinforcement of 175 soldiers to join them.

6 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Bekimbo(m): 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
malton:

One or two Yoruba men being among the mutineers doesn't make it any less an Igbo coup. Those guys were Yoruba only by name. They were Igbo at heart, through association. People like that can kill their kith and kin just to further their associates' cause.

It was a coup plotted and orchestrated by your progenitors for their own selfish gains.

Isn't it funny that a tribe which had army officers that had advanced so far in ranks could still claim that she was being marginalized?

Till date, they still carry that victim mentality on their heads like galla.

What I find most funny is that you people often turn history on its head and label the Yorubas 'treacherous backstabbers'... If what transpired as narrated above isn't treachery, then I wonder what is.

Hope you dont reason from your anus
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by LastProphet: 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2017
chinedu234:
I will advise our young ones to make efforts to read books on Nigeria Biafra conflict . Apart from the ones written by Madiebo and Obasanjo that can be described as partisan, there is an account by Frederick Forsyth. These accounts and others will actually make us have better views of what transpired in the sixties. As we know it,better knowledge assures us of better understanding and appropriate reasoning with the ultimate goal of well considered and balanced output. The above article is not adequate for the formation of a well considered opinion.

Forsyth's novel just like all his writings were not intended as authoritative accounts of history. Facts and drama are hardly separable in Forsyth's books. And dont forget he was Ojukwu's school mate in Cambridge and actually came to write on Biafra at the instance of Ojukwu. Please read history books not drama

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
chinedu234:
I will advise our young ones to make efforts to read books on Nigeria Biafra conflict . Apart from the ones written by Madiebo and Obasanjo that can be described as partisan, there is an account by Frederick Forsyth. These accounts and others will actually make us have better views of what transpired in the sixties. As we know it,better knowledge assures us of better understanding and appropriate reasoning with the ultimate goal of well considered and balanced output. The above article is not adequate for the formation of a well considered opinion.

u want them to read about biafra war but forget about 1966 coup? That's impossible because thay are all connected

4 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by bigtt76(f): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2017
Very possible the details were revealed during one of those truth and reconciliation meets undecided

OMEGA009:

I guess the son followed them into the bush? Abeg make we leave this beer parlour gist

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by johntolu: 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]
Dedetwo:

In most cases, the down fall of a man is usually traced to his deeds. It is unfortunate that the narrator of the above junk did not find the need to elaborate on Col Pam’s participation in the political crisis known as Tiv Riots. A soldier of Col Pam’s caliber should not have allowed himself to be drawn into tribal politics of northern region of Nigeria in particular and Nigeria in general. There was nothing about exemplary quality on the part of Lt Col James Pam when he commanded 5th Battalion whose units were tasked to quell Tiv riot of 1964. In practical terms, Lt Col James Pam was one of the willing tools Ahamdu Bello frequently referred in his hateful speeches of 1960 Nigeria.

Lt. Col. James Pam, as a military officer, was duty bound to carry out orders
from elected government officials.
The same cannot be said of political leaders who chose to participate in
Ahmadu Bello/Balewa government because of a 'pot of porridge'.
It was these set of political leaders that Balewa had in mind when
he used the term 'willing tools" on them.
These set of leaders also manifested in the second Republic, and its
leadership, in the person of Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe was labeled as
'Political Prostitute' by President Shehu Shagari.
Dr. Azikwe, was seen by President Shagari, as a politician without
any compass once government appointment and patronage is at stake.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by ipodstinks: 10:35pm On Jan 15, 2017
BudeYahooCom:
The truth is if Maj. Ademoyega never wrote down his role as a coup plotter in his Book 'Why we struck'. yoruba scoundrels would have conveniently claimed that NO YORUBA TOOK PART in the 'Igbo coup'.

Infact till today many of them are angry he wrote that book and mentioned the yoruba officers who were part and parcel of the so called 'Igbo coup'. That book remains a proof that his yoruba kinsmen are rabid detestful liars. Today, "Ademoyega and fola are from Aba, they only took up yoruba names" according to the wicked backstabbing tribe as they struggle to extricate themselves from the 'Igbo coup' albeit unseccesfully. That book has made their lies impossible to hold water. grin

It's a lesson that whenever you doing anything with a yorubaman always document evidence because the shameless thing will swear by oduduwa and deny the truth tommorow. It's his nature grin
you do not need to cry because your tribe evil deed is being xposed. Whether you call yoruba backstabber, you ppl are are the greatest betrayer. Imagine, a yoruba man warned him to beware of his tribe man. Of which the yoruba man was right.

7 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by billyG(m): 10:38pm On Jan 15, 2017
effty:
Who was counting the shots biko? Liars everywhere. The only truth is that he was shot.

d coupist that did it confessed when caught,right frm when d plan was hatched.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 10:39pm On Jan 15, 2017
ipodstinks:
Imagine, a yoruba man warned him to beware of his tribe man. Of which the yoruba man was right.
Pam was a Northerner.

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
Igbos are more or less the problem of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
bigtt76:
Very possible the details were revealed during one of those truth and reconciliation meets undecided

Guy, leave these historically deficient entities to be "doubting". The full transcript of the investigation done by the Nigerian Police is freely available on the Internet.

3 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
ipodstinks:
answer his question first na. He said you should mention anyone killed by the yoruba solders. Why digressing?
Lol. One claimed Ademoyega killed Unegbe when it is well documented that Unegbe was murdered by Anuforo.

5 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by ipodstinks: 10:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
Fedayeen02:
When they say Biafra your tribesmen leave the hot amala in the pot and run to Nairaland to tell us a thousand reasons why a United Nigeria is the best.

Ndi yoruba o gini na afio
nothing you've been saying that comprehend what earthly humans av been saying here. Are u cursed?

2 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by xpool(m): 10:45pm On Jan 15, 2017
Odingo1:

[/b]You are not sensible enough to know that Igbo nation did not send the coup plotters on their behalf[b],people living in eastern Nigeria don't know what is happening in Nigeria capital Lagos as of then,just get sense and stop writing trash about few officers action against the whole tribe, [/b]did Fulani people send Fulani herdsmen to go about the whole country killing people[b].

Stop being in denial and face the present and future.
Don't be a coward, we did not send them yet rejoiced in the victory even with a Highlife music track our people both in lagos and our villages sang with pride.

Nwanna o buru na i na eri ede, i ga ama na otu mkpisi aka lutu nmanu aka o ga emetu mkpkisi aka nile.
Nwanne ozu lere ure, na ebukwa gha.
Chei, o na i maro na o ndi nwere agba na akwado ndi na achi ehi, ka ebe iche na ha si eweta egbe uzu nke akpuru na roshia.
Echebum na i ma ihe; I maro nothing. Egwu atugbuo gi.
Amatara m ony ibu, okwa gi bu Nna Okonkwo na ime akwukwo-ifo "things fall apart" nke Mazi Chinua Achebe dere.
Ta si eba fuo ngwa ngwa!

2 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by bejeria101(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
Kenzico:
The Events of 1966 coup has major scar on Nigerian politics.

R.I.P Major Pam.

I pity his wife and Family back then

IGBOs spilled the first blood

cry cry

Bunch of traitors,when they took the fight to them thats when they cried of been wiped out. Rip sir you served your nation well.

5 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Yes, it was Major Raphael Iluyomade. He commanded the Nigerian troops. His platoon was initially made up of 32 soldiers, but they later received a reinforcement of 175 soldiers to join them.
Lol Hollywood flick narration, if you believe that balderdash about 32 soldiers holding back a large force of Biafrans, then I have a castle in the air to sell to you...how come these unimaginable feat of bravery wasn't widely reported apart from Major Iluyomade's own version of home cooked tales by moonlight? The story is just as equivalent to the one some old folk who fought in the Biafran war used to brag to us about...like how he single handedly halted a whole battalion of advancing Nigerian troops with his well timed ogbunigwe...only difference is he always told this tale whenever he was in his alcohol induced state of mind.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Naija9090: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
ipodstinks:
c[s]lean the water in your eyes first. This story exposed your tribe, you are trying to cover it with afonja dis and dat. Woo to you, you have no point to defend this. You ppl are wicked. Your hatred for yoruba is because you want to dominate others and the yorubas never allowed you, hence the hatred of which yorubas do not give a Bleep to. You. Have been xposed. You ppl are the king of betrayers and the root of nigeria problem.[/s]

Tell me one thing, just one thing Igbo have ever done to Yorubas? Just one! I'm waiting! I'll tell you 10 or more evil, wicked and heartless things Yorubas have done to Igbos for no reason but out the hate, wickedness and heartlessness innately in your hearts. Hypocrites!
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by pamdaniel(m): 10:48pm On Jan 15, 2017
I feel the pains of Lt. Col Pam... there are still intestine coup and silent murdering of rivalries in the military... the difference is that we heard the story of 1966, but the stories of 1994 till dates killings have been perpetually silenced...
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by femarse: 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
logica:
I see. No wonder he fought on the side of Biafra. He could have made the journey back to Kaduna to go fight on the side of the Federal Forces not so?

didnt I told you to get a book and read before you open your dirty mouth again ??

he never wanted to fight for Biafra but Gowon wouldn't allow him and all the coup plotters back to the military which is quite understandable considering their experience in staging a national coup and almost succeeding as a matter of fact he succeeded in the North it was same ironsi (Igbo) that fool him to surrender power to come to Lagos and let's run govt together but on alighting at the Lagos airport he was face with array of 84mm antil tank recoiless refile so much if he had a plane full of soldiers they wouldn't have escape certain death so ironsi locked him up but Gowon release them but never want them back in the army but they are action men they wanted to fight all the coup plotters was actually locked up in warri and uyo prison giving the edge to ojukwu to make use of them even at that ojukwu never called on them he doesn't want them either to avoid the same fact you guys called Igbo coup it was only when the war was turning against ojukwu that he realize he needed their experience and yes it was working they started gaining advantage but they have a problem with lieutenant colonel banjo govnor of mid west who thou supported ojukwu but never the less supported Biafra and before we know it all the coup plotters was invited one by one and executed one after the other only adewale ademoyega escape it as for nzeogwu he was shot in action fighting for no particular group
ojukwu don't want him Gowon don't want him as well he just force himself to a batallion and fight on when federal troop shot him they brought his body home and give him a respectful burial just so u know how influential he was beside he thought nearly all the guys at the war front at NDA
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by laudate: 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2017
Qelvin:
Lol Hollywood flick narration, if you believe that balderdash about 32 soldiers holding back a large force of Biafrans, then I have a castle in the air to sell to you...how come these unimaginable feat of bravery wasn't widely reported apart from Major Iluyomade's own version of home cooked tales by moonlight?

You seem to be very sure of your own folktales about the bravery of the troops that Banjo was leading to Ore. sad Ok, what was the size of the Biafran contingent that was on its way to Lagos, and how much ammunition did they have? Let us compare and contrast the two battalions, on both sides.

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by bejeria101(m): 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2017
kettykin:

This is really funny even funnier is that the Ibo themselves lost More trying to be on their own country.

Today Igbos are treasurers ,vice presidents of world Bank and other multinational corporations.

Igbos have produced some of the Best brains in the world ,NASA , an Igbo was named as the most power black man in Britain, and it is only in a country that isn't barely being held together by a military rather than national patriotism,a country whose only achievement is remaining united against internal forces since it got almalgamated that Igbos are treacherous.

So have other tribes,stop hyping yourself. The rubbish your leaders did is the crap we face as a nation today its part of it. Na by world bank? Whats worse than a traitor?

5 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 10:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

You seem to be very sure of your own folktales about the bravery of the troops that Banjo was leading to Ore. sad Ok, what was the size of the Biafran contingent that was on its way to Lagos, and how much ammunition did they have? Let us compare and contrast the two battalions, on both sides.
I'm not disproving the veracity of claims made by your war heroes, I'm just addled with laughter at how much we are so gullible to believe everything the so called war heroes reported as "true" and this goes on both sides cause there are Biafran versions of Hollywood like feats as well...as for the size of the Biafrans that invaded the Midwest, I would never know the actual strength cause I wasn't there, but if I go by accounts of what I read to that effect, then I would say about a motley Brigade size of Biafran troops loaded on improvised armoured tanks and civilian vehicles invaded the Midwest in the dawn of August 7,1967, definitely a vastly understrength force to the large column of Nigerian troops that were later assembled under Muritala Mohammed , the Biafran troops were definitely thin in numbers and could not have been more than a company or platoon size sparsely deployed to defend the Midwest at the time the Nigerians counter attacked from Benin city...the weaponry was just as abysmal as the whole Biafran troops as we all know Biafra had no weapons like the Nigerians did, whatever weaponry that was absorbed came from the Midwest armoury when the Biafrans entered the region.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by psalmsjob: 10:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
otokx:
It is good to always remind ourselves from time to time of the labors of our heroes past.

The power of forgiveness is far higher and the sins of the fathers should not be visited on the sins of the children so let us move forward.

That is if the sons accepts and acknowledges that what his father did was wrong.

But fast forward to this time even here just now you can see that their children still thinks what their father's did was ok by rationalizing it.

I guess our history particularly the history of that 1966 coup can't be taught or relayed in a classroom because if I am in such a classroom and some of IPOB commenting here makes this same comments there I'll be tempted to slap them.

Hypocrites and back stabbers that's what those cowards that call themselves soldiers were and their children and family plus generation will never know peace or fulfilment until they acknowledge that their kinsmen did wrong.

3 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 11:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
femarse:

didnt I told you to get a book and read before you open your dirty mouth again ?

Gobbledygook and more gobbledygook...

he just force himself to a batallion and fight on when federal troop shot him they brought his body home and give him a respectful burial just so u know how influential he was beside he thought nearly all the guys at the war front at NDA
LMAO. Who told you these tales by moonlight? He taught nearly all the guys including his superiors at NDA.

2 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by laudate: 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
Qelvin:
I'm not disproving the veracity of claims made by your war heroes, I'm just addled with laughter at how much we are so gullible to believe everything the so called war heroes reported as "true" and this goes on both sides cause there are Biafran versions of Hollywood like feats as well...as for the size of the Biafrans that invaded the Midwest, I would never know the actual strength cause I wasn't there, but if I go by accounts of what I read to that effect, then I would say about a motley Brigade size of Biafran troops loaded on improvised armoured tanks and civilian vehicles invaded the Midwest in the dawn of August 7,1967, definitely a vastly understrength force to the large column of Nigerian troops that were later assembled under Muritala Mohammed , the Biafran troops were definitely thin in numbers and could not have been more than a company or platoon size sparsely defending the Midwest at the time the Nigerians counter attacked from Benin city...the weaponry was just as abysmal as the whole Biafran troops as we all know Biafra had no weapons like the Nigerians did, whatever weaponry that was absorbed came from the Midwest armoury when the Biafrans entered the region.

So you believe "the Biafran troops were definitely thin in numbers and could not have been more than a company or platoon size," and yet "Biafra had no weapons like the Nigerians did", were able to win the battle at Ore?? As compared to a better equipped & better trained Nigerian side, with more weapons?? Is that what you think?? sad Is that why you believe Madiebo's account?

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by johntolu: 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]
wickyyolo:

ABi Awolowo ?

Read History.
Yoruba are betrayals

What history are you talking about?
What tribe betrayed and back stabbed the Hausa- Fulanis, the Ijaws, the Tivs, Idomas, the Kanuris, the Beroms and the Yorubas during the January19966
coup by killing political and military leaders of the aforementioned tribes and mischievously sparing its own military and political leadership.
Tell me, what other definition do you have for betrayal and back stabbing other than what some Igbo military officers did in concert with their political leaders.

Col. Adekunle Fajuyi did not betray Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi even at the point of death.
Col. Ayo Banjo fought on the side of the Biafrans during the Civil war and he did not betray the Biafrans cause, until his execution, by the BETRAYAL of the Biafran cause, Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu.
I am interested in knowing how Chief Awolowo betrayed the Igbo tribe and I hope you will give a response to this.

6 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by laudate: 11:06pm On Jan 15, 2017
Naija9090:
Tell me one thing, just one thing Igbo have ever done to Yorubas? Just one! I'm waiting! I'll tell you 10 or more evil, wicked and heartless things Yorubas have done to Igbos for no reason but out the hate, wickedness and heartlessness innately in your hearts. Hypocrites!

Na wa, o!! Why is this matter paining you so much?? shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Sim Fubara, A "1st Class Student" (Photo) / Ahmed Indimi And His Pet - A White Lion (Photos) / Caption This Picture Of Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.