Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) (40297 Views)

Adewole Atere, FUOYE Lecturer, Impregnates 16-Year-Old Student (Photos) / Ahmed Bature, Nigerian Defence Academy Best Graduating Student (Photos) / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by goldedprince: 7:51pm On Feb 04, 2017
i know police, army and the rest, but which one be DSS again. when was it formed. is it naija new name for police?
i see too much post about this dss

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by somez(m): 7:52pm On Feb 04, 2017
Go back to school... Just for a refund
omenkaLives:
With access to the internet, every idiot can now day whatever, whenever and however. No evidence whatsoever to show DSS was there, but just as every other hate induced comments from certain group of persons who litter cyberspace, evidence is "irrelevant" just as long as the subject makes their preferred bogeyman look bad!

Just yesterday, they rained insults on the same organisation and the President because of some misreported story, only to get the detailed report of what really transpired, a report which showed neither DSS nor the president was involved in the incident in any way!

Keep the hate burning fellas, hopefully, someday, you'd reap the reward of all your "hard work".

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by purpleicious(f): 7:55pm On Feb 04, 2017
My once lovely alma mater!

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 7:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
Osyxcel:

We've not heard the 2nd side of the story, but I'll like to point out the fact that the student was abducted means she was taken by force and without the permission of the school and doesn't matter if it's by someone she knows or otherwise.

As for the other one, I think what the writer meant is 'shot' and you know that.

No where in the world does a child's parent need permission from their school to take them home. I have no idea how some of you think the world works. Seriously you should read more! If anything if the school had tried to keep that child against the wishes of her guardians they are the ones who attempted to abduct her.

Regarding the second point... you are really a genius. Seriously.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by fof1: 7:57pm On Feb 04, 2017
rem44:
DSS INVASION OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GIRLS COLLEGE CALABAR AND WHY WE SHOULD ALL LIFT UP OUR VOICES AND WAIL

I got a call in the morning of Thursday, February 2 from Architect Njor Ntangha Tabi, a staff of Federal Government Girls College, Calabar. He sounded agitated, frightened and incoherent. He was trying to say something about DSS, students, teachers, beatings, bullets and gunshots.

I tried calming him down but it wasn't working. Incidentally I was in Calabar for another assignment. I told him I will head out to the school once I was done with my assignment. That didn't happened until hours later.

When I got to the school, it was late in the evening. I met a rattled bunch of teachers, all trying to tell me what happened at the same time. A trained lawyer should know he won't get the gist of what happened in such an excited babble. I just gleaned what I could and scheduled a visit to the scene the following day and a series of interview in a temporary office they agreed to arrange for me.

Friday. 3rd February. I went to the scene and held a series of interview and came face to face with the grandfather of all impunity and the most bizarre thing that ever happened in an academic institution since man started learning how to read and write.

Mr Owai Owai, a Civic Education teacher of over 17 years standing came to class that fateful Thursday morning and found a junior student sweeping the class of the SS3 students when classes was going on in the class of the junior, against the school rules that junior students should not be found sweeping the classes of seniors during school periods.

Mr Owai was able to fish out about 10 seniors who asked the juniors to sweep their class during school period contrary to school regulations. He punished the seniors by flogging them on their palms, 2 strokes of the cane each.

One of the the seniors, Grace Loveth Asuquo, grabbed the teacher by the collar of his shirt, protesting her flogging. The teacher was shocked and gave her more strokes for her action. She told the teacher in front of the students that her parents will burn down the school today and stormed out of the class.

Mr Owai continued teaching, unknown to him that Grace has called her mum, who called her sister that is a DSS operative. Half way through the class, the student's mum, her aunt who is a DSS operative and another man, stormed the class, gestapo-style, took the teacher's canes and flogged him mercilessly before his alarmed students.

When the canes broke from the trashing of hapless Mr Owai, they descended on his frail frame and rained torrents of blows and kicks on him. The screams of the students alerted the teachers who came to the rescue.

Grace's DSS operative aunt called for reinforcement and before you can say "poor education funding", 3 Hilux load of DSS operatives stormed the school.

The operatives went berserk and started shooting sporadically and hitting teachers with anything they could find: blows, kicks, stones, gun butts! Several teachers sustained injuries from the assault and battery.

Some ran into adjoining bushes and farms to save their lives. Some of the teachers started taking pictures and videoing. When the DSS operatives found out, they went after them, forcefully collecting their phones and further brutalising them. Phones, monies, glasses and other valuables were taken away by the operatives.

When they were driving out, they found the gate locked. They beat up the security men and shut the padlock open! They abducted the student, Grace Loveth Asuquo and left the school premises.

The entire staff and students of Federal Government Girls College community are traumatized and frightened. Classes didn't hold on Friday, February 3rd because of this.

When did we get here and how? The DSS, trained, armed and paid with tax payers money; using the arms we bought for them to harass our teachers before our children. What is this?

The management and staff of the school has instructed me to demand the following:

1. A written public apology from DSS published on NTA, Radio Nigeria and 4 national dailies.

2. An oral apology given at the Assembly Ground before staff and students

3. Outright dismissal and prosecution of the operatives involved in this barbaric act.

4. To foot the hospital bills of all staff who sustained injuries during the assault.

5. To return/pay for all lost or damaged items like phones, monies, glasses, etc

6. Replace the damaged school gate

7. Pay a 10 million naira compensation to the school.

I have the further instruction of the staff to file a suit in a court of competent jurisdiction to seek for redress and damages.

We must all wail against the excesses of our law enforcement agents. Their duty is to protect us and not to intimidate us. A formal petition has been lodged with the appropriate authorities. But there is something we can do here: let's stand up and shout against this barbaric intimidation by the DSS, if we don't stand up now, there might be no one left to stand tomorrow.

First Baba Isa, Esq.,
Legal Practitioner,

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/02/dss-storm-federal-govt-girls.html?m=1

LAZY AND UNENGAGED LAWYERS YEARNING FOR RELEVANCE. WHY D REPEAT AND OVER EMPHASIS ON THIS CASE. IS D MEDIA OR PUBLIC SPACE D COURT. PLS GO TO COURT AND SEEK UR REDRESS,SPARE US SPACE TO GET EDUCATED ON BETTER THINGS. ARROGANT TEACHERS WHO THINK THEY ARE ALL IN ALL,because U HV CANE IN UR HANDS. IF U WERE SO MANHANDLED, WOULD U HV GRADUATED OR BE ALIVE? ATTENTION SEEKERS.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by ReubenE(m): 7:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
SalomonKane:
Let's wait for the DSS to come out with their own cock_ and bull story. They always seem never to run out of them.
The writer may not be far from the truth, whether embellished or not.

I witnessed one this evening where a policeman was threatening a commercial driver on top of his voice, with his gun cocked that he is going to bring him (driver) down if he doesn't alight from his vehicle.

Nigeria is a lawless country where people threaten, maim, kill others as long as they have the means to do so.
It is even more worrying when the people that are paid to protect the citizens turn around to kill them.
Nigeria is sliding further down the pit with each passing day.

For those that are quick to support the actions of security operatives because they have a romance with government, my little advice for you all is to wait until the appointed day when you will have a close shave with them.
For me, my experience with them will last for a life time...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Osyxcel(m): 7:59pm On Feb 04, 2017
SmartyPants:

No where in the world does a child's parent need permission from their school to take them home. I have no idea how some of you think the world works. Seriously you should read more! If anything if the school had tried to keep that child against the wishes of her guardians they are the ones who attempted to abduct her.

Regarding the second point... you are really a genius. Seriously.

You cannot just walk into a boarding school to take your child home. You have to seek permission from the school authority

5 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 8:00pm On Feb 04, 2017
Osyxcel:

You cannot just walk into a boarding school to take your child home. You have to seek permission from the authorities.

My friend if you like refuse to learn from me. You are doing yourself.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by madjune(m): 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2017
Sad.

This is what happens when this "Do you know who I am" syndrome is carried too far.

The aunty who's supposedly mature ought tell the young sister the realities of life.
That you're in an enforcement agency does not make you a combat robot.

There's something called role and order.
And, might is not always right.

Let her learn this now by the time she's fired from her job.

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by juman(m): 8:08pm On Feb 04, 2017
See the life of the senseless apc government.

Today, the new boko haram is the apc government, the army, the dss and the police.

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by bankylan: 8:11pm On Feb 04, 2017
omenkaLives:
With access to the internet, every idiot can now day whatever, whenever and however. No evidence whatsoever to show DSS was there, but just as every other hate induced comments from certain group of persons who litter cyberspace, evidence is "irrelevant" just as long as the subject makes their preferred bogeyman look bad!

Just yesterday, they rained insults on the same organisation and the President because of some misreported story, only to get the detailed report of what really transpired, a report which showed neither DSS nor the president was involved in the incident in any way!

Keep the hate burning fellas, hopefully, someday, you'd reap the reward of all your "hard work".

Who did u inherit your stupidity from?

4 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by delishpot: 8:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Yayyy! Buhari or Nothing. Said Baba! Buhari till Nigeria ends! Yes, this is the era of impunity, let us embracebtbis war, it is war on corruption.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by XDaBOSS(m): 8:19pm On Feb 04, 2017
Wah doz dss did was wrng....buh it also serves d teacher ryt...i remember doz type of teachers den, wen junior boy misbahvz nd u wan punish am....dem go jst buy d matter nd try 4m james bond 4 u.....we use 2 deal wit such teachers den....
Purnishmnt xlf na prt of sch na.....Mr. Teacher nw c wah u've dn 2 ur xlf.....nd u de expct mk d wrld epp u?? Go try am nxt tym....na Buratai u go meet face 2 face.....
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:24pm On Feb 04, 2017
saaedlee:
Stupid teachers, I laugh when I saw the report yesterday, unu get luck say no be my pikin

Really?

But, wetin you for do?
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by chiraqDemon(m): 8:27pm On Feb 04, 2017
KINGwax007:
Everything is DSS. Stupid lots.

Is it possible for that to happen and no single pics to stick to that claim?

You come use blade tickle your uncle come dey post one yeye pics for us. And what you called bullet holes, you shld be so dense not to understand that there will be signs of burns and black residues around the bullet holes and not some old holes that is even rusted out!!!

Didinrin Omo!
Bros u nor hear say they almost kill who bin de take picture, and say d rest in dey away mode unto involvement of life
U for siddon for where armed naija forces dey de take pic or video when them don crase?
Besides why u feel say e snap d serial number of the bullets, that serial number dey mapped to a certain weapon and operative......as serial number dey then proof of dss involvement dey long as them fit make d link btw number and weapon

But na times like this wey youtube live facebook live and all d other live video streaming services de come to mind...but no constant wifi access
If na US and other places as u de do am other ppl de watch u live if u like destroy phone e don enter internet

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by chiraqDemon(m): 8:45pm On Feb 04, 2017
XDaBOSS:
Wah doz dss did was wrng....buh it also serves d teacher ryt...i remember doz type of teachers den, wen junior boy misbahvz nd u wan punish am....dem go jst buy d matter nd try 4m james bond 4 u.....we use 2 deal wit such teachers den....
Purnishmnt xlf na prt of sch na.....Mr. Teacher nw c wah u've dn 2 ur xlf.....nd u de expct mk d wrld epp u?? Go try am nxt tym....na Buratai u go meet face 2 face.....
U nor try for this talk o
Rules dey wey junior nor suppose dey sweep senior classroom during lecture hours, e must punish d senior wey disobey d rules
U feel say without teachers say juniors for de survive school sometimes?
Or say who go school go make e go become cleaner?
If the junior misvehaved then the senior should have metted out punishment at a later time
What d teacher did was right and he has no blame

Note: he did not brutalise the senior in anyway, meted out appropriate punishment n an appropriate part of the body

This is not what we pay tax for
Weapons bought with our own tax being unjustly used againt us

Btw how did punishment become part of school sef cos i cannot imagine paying money only for someone else's child to come and be boss over mine
I faced it and i wouldnt want my kids to face same(oluwa bless my hustle)
I come from school wey we obey seniors pass even school owner sef
That was how back in my sec school a senior went and cut off another student's finger for not wantin to fan him

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by doskie(m): 8:49pm On Feb 04, 2017
fallout87:

No evidence?

Why do you think he took pictures of the bullet casing and the serial numbers? Those serial numbers are attributed to weapons.

Weapons which the DSS own. Which shows they're implicated.

People like you who aren't even smart enouvh to see this shouldn't have internet access. Seriously. Go read a book friend.
i agree with everything you said except the part you wrote:Go read a book. I honestly doubt that his brain can benefit from the most elementary books. Let him rather go smoke his weed.

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by saaedlee: 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2017
Kdon2:

You are a complete mofo best for the scum if you are encouraging children this way.how i wish its you and i,you would be roting your ass in prison before you close that your gutter mouth!

I speak less, but try laying your useless hands on my kid n I'll empty bullets into your brain. Who gave you permission to hit my child...
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by saaedlee: 9:01pm On Feb 04, 2017
GboyegaD:

If you don't think there is a need for discipline in schools, then don't send your kids to school.

It's sad, totally sad that your term corporal punishment as a form of discipline. If you don't wish to experience such, then don't lay your hands on any kid you were paid to teach. Corporal Punishment is a no no, they are lucky my team or whatever would have flogged the hell outta the useless teachers.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Nedsnow(m): 9:27pm On Feb 04, 2017
I seriously think we have a lot of either DSS officers or DSS officers' family commenting on this topic. because to me, all what most of them have been saying is too obvious and even clear for the blind to see. self defence
I smell self defence in a lot of comments on this topic. Especially the FTC guy. He kept on following the trend like if his life depends on it.
That reminds me. You guys are asking for evidence right? Go to the school and do your research. The school name is there right. So you just go. The evidence is there waiting for you. Foolish motherfuckers.

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Dicksonpal: 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
KINGwax007:
Everything is DSS. Stupid lots.

Is it possible for that to happen and no single pics to stick to that claim?

You come use blade tickle your uncle come dey post one yeye pics for us. And what you called bullet holes, you shld be so dense not to understand that there will be signs of burns and black residues around the bullet holes and not some old holes that is even rusted out!!!

Didinrin Omo!
ur PA PA.. Omo a le

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Bahddo(m): 9:42pm On Feb 04, 2017
SmartyPants:

My friend if you like refuse to learn from me. You are doing yourself.
stop being unnecessarily headstrong. He is right. In boarding schools, the school management has to give consent before a student can leave when school is still in session, even if it's her parent that came to take her. It's just for the records.

Now if you disregard such protocol, it's like going to take your child home from the hospital bed to which he is admitted without being officially discharged first by the doctor in charge.

In legal jargon abduction is fitting for such an action.

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Kdon2: 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2017
saaedlee:

I speak less, but try laying your useless hands on my kid n I'll empty bullets into your brain. Who gave you permission to hit my child...

You are not even fit to have a child cos one day you ll empty bullets in your childs brain. Arant nonsense
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by lagosrd: 9:55pm On Feb 04, 2017
Shut down the schools do send all the students home until the DSS apologies, rusticated the student. Bring his parents to book and force them to pay damages until the federal government ensure security of lives and properties of the teachers. Otherwise these sets of unprofessional guys will take you for granted.

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bahddo:
stop being unnecessarily headstrong. He is right. In boarding schools, the school management has to give consent before a student can leave when school is still in session, even if it's her parent that came to take her. It's just for the records.

Now if you disregard such protocol, it's like going to take your child home from the hospital bed to which he is admitted without being officially discharged first by the doctor in charge.

In legal jargon abduction is fitting for such an action.

Vey funny. I went to boarding school and I'm a law student so ill ignore you for your own good.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Bahddo(m): 10:07pm On Feb 04, 2017
SmartyPants:

Vey funny. I went to boarding school and I'm a law student so ill ignore you for your own good.
for my own good? Lol. I'd let that pass. However you are still just a student. You have no voice in real legal issues. You probably haven't even qualified to go to law school yet, much less been called to bar. The man who used the term is a barrister with years of experience in his belt.

What make you always think you are the smartest guy in the room? You must be humble to truly learn, student or not.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 10:09pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bahddo:
for my own good? Lol. I'd let that pass. However you are still a student. You probably haven't even qualified to go to law school yet. The man who used the term is a barrister with years of experience in his belt.

What make you always think you are the smartest guy in the room? You must be humble to truly learn, student or not.

And I am telling you that a lawyer with an agenda will know how to subtly manipulate words to achieve a certain effect.

Guy find your way abeg.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Bahddo(m): 10:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
SmartyPants:

And I am telling you that a lawyer with an agenda will know how to subtly manipulate words to achieve a certain effect.

Guy find your way abeg.

"He is a lawyer and you are a law STUDENT."

Reflect on those words as you sleep tonight wink

I will. I don't even have time to waste on some cocky fellow who imagines he's the smartest fellow alive and so is always right.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by saaedlee: 10:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
Kdon2:

You are not even fit to have a child cos one day you ll empty bullets in your childs brain. Arant nonsense

Kiss kiss, but don't ever touch my kid. Grow up!
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by obailala(m): 10:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
Nigerians and abuse of power are like 5 and 6. So a little unruly child calls her mother over a teacher striking her and the next thing the mother does is to invade the school an army of useless policemen who obey stupid orders from stupid superiors?

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
omenkaLives:

Talk less if you don't know much.Those empty shells of bullet carry number o, they can be trace to see if DSS used them or not.

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Smooyis(m): 10:41pm On Feb 04, 2017
Barbaric act by the DSS which must not be swept under the carpet.

Justice must be done

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MOUA, Umudike Is The Best School In the East, My Opinion. See Why / 2013/2014 Total National Merit Scholarship Award:payment Information Thread / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Covenant University: World Universities Ranking

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.