Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn (8875 Views)

Nigeria Is The Most Corrupt Country In The World - US NEWS / Lokoja’s Importance In Nigerian History - The Guardian / Nigeria Losing $9 Billion To Oil Theft Annually - Nuhu Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by ChapelleS: 6:44pm On Dec 14, 2009
I published this article on the 9th of November 2009 in a 10 point discourse titled 10 Critical Reasons Why President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua Should Resign Now. Every day this article becomes more relevant.

Sourcehttp://nigeriarevolution..com/2009/11/10-critical-reasons-why-president-umaru_5947.html

10.Ostracising the International Community

I want to conclude this critical reasons why President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua must as a matter of urgency resign from a broader perspective of our non-existent foreign diplomacy policy. I read an interview President Barack Obama granted ALLAFRICA.COM's Charles Cobb,Jr.,Reed Kramer and Tami Hultman on his first visit to sub-Saharan Africa. I was reading the second answer before the last question and it was clear that neither Obama nor the journalists had mentioned Nigeria. I noticed that they systematically avoided it. I was infuriated. I said to myself that if only Obama knew that he had more supporters from Nigeria towards his campaign than his fatherland Kenya which he made mention of in his second answer. If only he knew that Nigerians who are wont to crying more than bereaved in the delirium of his campaign raised millions to send across the pacific towards the success of his election only for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to dismiss the fund raising as fraud and returned the monies back to the contributors. Is he not aware of many pre- and post-election Obama conferences which were organised by many sympathetic groups in Nigeria?.

I almost flung the paper away but late continued just hear all he had to say on why he chose Ghana instead of other sub-Sahara African countries. Being the charismatic gentleman he is,he mentioned Lagos in the last answer of that Interview. (I imagined him in the their Americana style musing “ don't get angry dude I even know Eko! not just Nigeria. Blame your leaders for the US ignoring you guys,I still recognised that you ain't gonna talk about my papa's continent without talking about Nigeria”). Then I smiled at his wisdom. He tried to let us know that he knew us well and that the story of Africa cannot be complete without the mention of Nigeria.

Forget the Muammer Gadhafis who are only interested in condoning impunity and wishing to become the President of a United States of Africa in his dreams. He has refused to relinquish power in Libya with a track record of aligning with countries former President Bush will refer to as the 'Axis of Evil'. Nigeria is the most populous countries in Africa and one of the most important country in Africa with a potential of assuming full leadership of Africa just like the US. Right now our only significance lies in the fact that we are the highest contributor of peace keepers for United Nations.

We are ranked among 42nd among 133 countries in market size according to Geneva-based World Economic Forum with potential to consume more if the economy improves. So even if politicians ignore us, investors seeking to make quick profits will not only on daily basis sort to come here,they earnestly pray for our stability and good governance to take over. We have the best crude oil in the world with little percentage of sulphur. Need I remind anyone that we among the top 10 in worldwide crude oil export and production.

Although late Chief Gani had to caution former President Obasanjo for his incessant foreign trips to canvass foreign investments while the country was in shambles. He did that to remind Baba that we needed to consolidate more on the home front before selling Nigeria to the world. Nigeria will never be a hard sell if the indexes are right. This is what many like this writer have been trying to let the Minister of Information,the 'Re-branding apostle' to recognize. All the energy and resources put in rebranding will be better channelled if she concentrated on educating Nigerians about governance and participation in same so that we could evolve a better society. The world needs us and Africa needs us more. Late Chief Gani did not mean that international diplomacy is not important neither did he underscore the importance of Nigeria in African and World politics. The Minister of Information in a press release stated that the election of Nigeria to the non-permanent seat of the United Nations is an endorsement by the international community that the 7-point Agenda is working. Then I ask,are we the only one chosen to seat along with US,Britain,China,France and Russia,the permanent members, as non-permanent members of the security council? There are about eight countries selected alongside Nigeria and our vote cannot even stop a key decision such as the veto power of the five permanent member. Moreover we have been seeking election to that seat long before now and the tenure is only for two (2) years.

Africa deserves a permanent seat at the United Nation if we must belong to this world to take charge of the destiny of the black man just as the blacks in America now feel equal to the white with emergence of Obama as president in the US. The world is waiting for Nigeria to come and occupy that exalted position because Africa deserves to belong to the Comity of nations as a key player. Asia and the Americas have one representative each,Europe dominates with France,UK and Eastern Europe represented by Russia,then where is Africa? Do we not make up a continent or probably the population and contribution of Africa does not warrant her a permanent seat among other continents? The centuries of colonialism is long over. Nigeria is in the best position to jostle and secure that seat for Africa. What will wake us from our "sleep walking" is the offer of this exalted permanent seat to Ghana because according to Obama they have become a model in Africa and also for the West to enjoy that delicious “crude oil soup” or to South Africa because of the country's stability and prosperity.

Sani Abacha was ostracised by the comity of nations,Yar'Adua has reversed the trend by ostracising the comity of nation. It was widely speculated the the President will not attend the UN Assembly held this year and he confirmed the fears of speculators by actually jetting out to Saudi Arabia instead of attending a meeting of about 150 world leaders. He went to attend to unfinished business such as the commissioning of a $7bn university while his country's universities were shut down due to lecturers strike. Yar'Adua chose to visit Saudi Arabia while world leaders gathered in New York to discuss world affairs ranging from Middle East Peace to Terrorism and Global Poverty. African leaders met with the President of the United States, Barack Obama, to discuss issues of concern to Africa and the US. In this era when the government blames its failure on recession,there was an opportunity for trade discussion with the US. Just as the present government is a monumental failure at the home front,it has scored below average on a scale of hundred when it comes to international politics and diplomacy.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by oyinda3(f): 1:13am On Dec 15, 2009
yadi yadi yada. why are we in G20 in the first place?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by igboboy1(m): 1:32am On Dec 15, 2009
who is talking they would invade nigeria and shoot up militants in ND? Nigeria is f'u(ked up yes but we never reach somalia, iraq or afghanistan level,
America no go get liver invade naija abi ara na gba ha?, even though peeps may not agree we are the shiieeet in this W.africa region we cant be messed with period

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by shilling(f): 1:53am On Dec 15, 2009
The U.S invading Nigeria, now that's hilarious. Let's all try to be optimistic here, it'll get better one day. At the end of the day, hope is all we have.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by mamagee3(f): 1:59am On Dec 15, 2009
Did Nigeria have any importance in the world before? undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by mbulela: 2:08am On Dec 15, 2009
I think we are exagerrating Nigeria's importance in the comity of nations.
America has more important issues to bother themselves with.
If Nigeria ceases to exist, the west will simply turn somewhere else for their oil needs.
They would wish the contraption called Nigeria remains but don't be deluded to think that the US armed forces is having sleepless nights planning about Nigeria.
We are not that important.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by headtoucha(m): 2:22am On Dec 15, 2009
If i have my way,i will sell Nigeria and run with the money.Afterall nobody send,so why should i?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 2:32am On Dec 15, 2009
headtoucha:

If i have my way,i will sell Nigeria and run with the money.Afterall nobody send,so why should i?

Oya, go ask Turai for the independence documents wen queen give Tafawa Balewa. Yeye boy! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Wallie(m): 2:38am On Dec 15, 2009
I tried to read most of the post but….

Here’s my take on some of the conjectures and misinformation I’ve read so far:

[list]
[li]War simulations – if you know anything about the US military, you would know that these simulations are perfectly normal and is carried out in most problematic geographic areas of the world. Every type of agency that has to respond to emergency situations have some sort of drill. Even at my company, we have fire drills once a month that involves triggering the fire alarm by the fire dept and everybody is expected to congregate outside the building so that they can be accounted for.[/li]
[li]Why is it needed? Well, you don’t want to be caught with your pants down. A perfect example was during 9/11, the police and firefighters that responded had trouble communicating with each other over the radio because they came from different geographic areas. Basically, they where communicating over different channels, using different codes, the communication infrastructure got overwhelmed. By doing drills in different geographic areas, you lessen the chances that a problem unique to that area might turn into a real problem if war actually happens.[/li]
[li] Prediction of Nigeria breaking up – the CIA has collects facts on every single country and has strategy worked out that are updated periodically. It is called planing ahead! All you need to do is look at Nigeria in her current state, and it is not hard to come to the same conclusion.[/li]
[li] US can’t act because of China – Sure, China is holding a lot of US debt but that’s only half the story. The Chinese need the Americans to consume their exports because China derives their growth from exporting. Why do you think the trade deficit with the US is so large? The Chinese don’t have the capacity to consume their products. What do you think will happen when the US stops importing Chinese products? Both countries will become destabilized. The US will have problems because people won’t be able to find what they need, at least initially, and the Chinese will have to close most of their factories. You have to realize that the relationship between both countries is a symbiotic one.
[/li]

[li]Moreover, the Chinese has an unsaid policy of shying away from international politics. When was the last time the Chinese contributed an army to a peace keeping mission? On the other hand, they do have the capacity to lunch a cross-continental attack.[/li]

[li] Why is the US concerned – they have a strategic interest in seeing Nigeria succeed. What interest? Oil. There’s a little bit of moral-type interest also especially for the British.[/li]

[li] China vs. US – US is the only super power in the world after the collapse of USSR. I don’t think most of you know that China is still a developing nation. It has a lot of potential but like I said potential.  The purchasing power of the US is almost twice that of China.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html?countryName=United%20States&countryCode=us&regionCode=na&rank=2#us

[/li]
[li] I guess it is human nature to try to deflect or blame others for one’s personal problem. Rather than dissecting whatever was said, why not try to reflect inward and try to see if there's some truth to what was said?[/li]

[/list]
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by YourMum: 2:58am On Dec 15, 2009
Thats the guys opinion he is entitled to it. America's importance is based on slavery so wtf. and besides what country in the world likes america except israel and uk.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by ezan(m): 3:10am On Dec 15, 2009
The US-the nerve center of and for corruption-might seize to exist in another 5-10 yrs. They're doing everything to control drugs(cocaine etc) and oil. That's it foreign policy-plain and simple. The dollar is set to collapse, not sure exactly when this would happen. Obama is an idiot and a puppet. What nerves! Kettle dey call pot black? Really scary and interesting times ahead, folks.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Wallie(m): 3:27am On Dec 15, 2009
Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by walesho(m): 6:33am On Dec 15, 2009
God help us
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by manny4life(m): 7:17am On Dec 15, 2009
ezan:

The US-the nerve center of and for corruption-might seize to exist in another 5-10 yrs. They're doing everything to control drugs(cocaine etc) and oil. That's it foreign policy-plain and simple. The dollar is set to collapse, not sure exactly when this would happen. Obama is A SlowPoke and a puppet. What nerves! Kettle dey call pot black? Really scary and interesting times ahead, folks.

What in the world are u talking about? You need a reality check for real.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by rasputinn(m): 7:24am On Dec 15, 2009
Admin,

Please use the thread topic coined by the OP,its more apt than what you put out on the homepage
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by ezan(m): 8:50am On Dec 15, 2009
@manny4life, if you don't know what I'm talking about then I feel the sorriest for you. Reality check? The joke is on you.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by didoflex(m): 9:47am On Dec 15, 2009
Am not gonna try and assess the situation in this country,

We are a farce, and its better to accept the truth than delude ourselves,

F**K**G CASSAVA REPUBLIC
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by didoflex(m): 9:50am On Dec 15, 2009
OH I SEE THE CENSOR MACHINE IS WORKING!!

OH WELL, HERE GOES AGAIN,

WE ARE JUST A CASSAVA REPUBLIC,
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by olisa07: 10:03am On Dec 15, 2009
They are about to sell the war and come in the name of peace-keeping or fluching the millitants

for the oil interest. as they are doing in other African contries. we dont need guns we need bread. (Africom)

Nigerians for how long do we have to wait, to take our future by our hands. Mr President you cant rule this

nation on this your condition. Do your self some good forget about what they will say ,becos they must say something.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Sagamite(m): 10:37am On Dec 15, 2009
@topic

Bullocks of bullocks.

Because Obama regime has some reservation (which I am for) of the Nigerian government does not mean Nigeria is losing its importance.

It still has the resources (human and natural) to be very relevant. America is not the be all and end all, if we choose to ignore (which we have not) there are avenues to still progress if done right.

Typical narcisism of an average American about their self-importance is not a fact.

mbulela:

I think we are exagerrating Nigeria's importance in the comity of nations.
America has more important issues to bother themselves with.
If Nigeria ceases to exist, the west will simply turn somewhere else for their oil needs.
They would wish the contraption called Nigeria remains but don't be deluded to think that the US armed forces is having sleepless nights planning about Nigeria.
We are not that important.

You are completely wrong there.

America is addicted to Nigeria like an addict is addicted to Nicotine.

Majority of other sources of oil are people that despise the US like the Arab nations, Venezuela, Russia, Kazakhstan etc and most are very volatile with in regards to their response to US based on its foreign policy history.

So if Nigeria ceases to exist, their is a huge risk the price of fuel in the USA would be very volatile and speculators would keep it artificially high. And the US is a country that cannot exist or function productively without vehicles as there is limited public transportation.

Furthermore, I don't think the western world wants a world of possible 80m refugees and asylum seekers. This would act like a domino as neighbouring African countries economy would collapse as their population doubles rapidly, leading to more poverty. Furthermore, the western countries that would be obligated to take in refugees would have a financial crisis as local financial fraud would escalate. Any scenario planning that does not factor in these must be cretinous.

So Nigeria is very important as its stability is very critical.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 11:48am On Dec 15, 2009
ezan:

@manny4life, if you don't know what I'm talking about then I feel the sorriest for you. Reality check? The joke is on you.

Actually manny4life was right. you had no idea of what you are saying "The US-the nerve center of and for corruption-might seize to exist in another 5-10 yrs." - this is actually the joke of this thread.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 12:02pm On Dec 15, 2009
Sagamite:

@topic

Bullocks of bullocks.

Because Obama regime has some reservation (which I am for) of the Nigerian government does not mean Nigeria is losing its importance.

It still has the resources (human and natural) to be very relevant. America is not the be all and end all, if we choose to ignore (which we have not) there are avenues to still progress if done right.

Typical narcisism of an average American about their self-importance is not a fact.

You are completely wrong there.

America is addicted to Nigeria like an addict is addicted to Nicotine.

Majority of other sources of oil are people that despise the US like the Arab nations, Venezuela, Russia, Kazakhstan etc and most are very volatile with in regards to their response to US based on its foreign policy history.

So if Nigeria ceases to exist, their is a huge risk the price of fuel in the USA would be very volatile and speculators would keep it artificially high. And the US is a country that cannot exist or function productively without vehicles as there is limited public transportation.

Furthermore, I don't think the western world wants a world of possible 80m refugees and asylum seekers. This would act like a domino as neighbouring African countries economy would collapse as their population doubles rapidly, leading to more poverty. Furthermore, the western countries that would be obligated to take in refugees would have a financial crisis as local financial fraud would escalate. Any scenario planning that does not factor in these must be cretinous.

So Nigeria is very important as its stability is very critical.

I couldn't fault anything you have said.

However, Nigerian is fast losing its importance in International diplomacy/politics. For the past 2 years, Nigeria seems to have lost her voice. Imagine Nigeria president not in the front row of AU meetings. During the last UN meeting, our president was busy launching a school at Saudi. Nigeria removal from G20 is another loss. Also our claim of being a giant of Africa has become a mere slogan than a reality. Imagine many companies relocating from Nigeria to Ghana. Some years back, Ghanaians used to do all the odd jobs in Nigeria. Again our inability to hold a credible election added to our poor international image.

The internal crises are also not helping matters. And in the event of self inflicted war, for the reasons quoted above and other reasons, America will protect their interest, I would be surprised if we don't have American peace keeping force in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by edoyad(m): 12:03pm On Dec 15, 2009
US . Population 300 mil. GDP $14.xx trillion.

China. Population 1.5 bn. GDP $4.xx
Who does it seem needs the other more ? undecided
*you can google my figures to verify them.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by edoyad(m): 12:13pm On Dec 15, 2009
US . Population 300 mil. GDP $14.xx trillion.

China. Population 1.5 bn. GDP $4.xx trillion
Who does it seem needs the other more ? undecided
*you can google my figures to verify them.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by kbriggs: 12:16pm On Dec 15, 2009
i don't believe u.s can affect our lives the way we fear. marginalization is one word we are conversant with and any overestimation of result will only make things worse. i believe there is a being piloting the affairs of man and he is God.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by greateliso(m): 1:10pm On Dec 15, 2009
shilling:

The U.S invading Nigeria, now that's hilarious. Let's all try to be optimistic here, it'll get better one day. At the end of the day, hope is all we have.

yea,
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by kcng: 2:43pm On Dec 15, 2009
Now i know yaradua is dead!i can bet it!
nigeria is truely a comedy of a nation lol,
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by IykeD1(m): 5:52pm On Dec 15, 2009

The US-the nerve center of and for corruption-might seize to exist in another 5-10 yrs. They're doing everything to control drugs(cocaine etc) and oil. That's it foreign policy-plain and simple. The dollar is set to collapse, not sure exactly when this would happen. Obama is A SlowPoke and a puppet. What nerves! Kettle dey call pot black? Really scary and interesting times ahead, folks.

Please put down the drugs so you can make sense . . .

Nothing lasts forever. No empire last forever, however, you can rest assure that the US will continue to dominate the world in virtually all aspect of world affairs in the next few decades - militarily, economically, culturally, technologically, etc. Simply put, no other single country have some many things put together like the US.

China is an economic power house, but certainly still no where close to the US. The US is emerging from an economic storm now, the other big question is when will the bubble bust in China, its' economy can't continue to grow forever year in year out?

The US is indebted to China, but that also means they can wipe out China's savings overnight if they chose to by devaluing the dollar since it makes up the bulk of the Chinese foreign reserves. It is a catch-22 situation. China is being used to rebound the US economy and as things improve in the US, watch out for them to begin to re-assess the economic relationship between the two countries.

Unlike Nigeria, US have policy makers who are aware of this growing economic threat and working to re-calibrate it. When we are now substituting prayers for sound policies, its a downward spiral. Nigeria's president is on medical leave in another country. Her daughter is also in another country trying to have a baby, what do these events tells the world about Nigeria and its loss of any importance it once had?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Bomi(m): 6:02pm On Dec 15, 2009
A word is enough for the WISE shocked Nigeria is losing ground fast! Nigeria is taking a giant step backward everyday! It is not the issue of The ex ambassadors! neither is the issue of President Yardua. It is rather the case of the so call 'OWNER OF NIGERIA'. you can imagine when there interest is compromise they will speak out otherwise they keep off and remain invisible! example when Obj show interest in second time check out the list of his antagonist giving excuse that Obj only sign one term with them! Mortgage the destiny of 180 million Nigerian and the yet unborn by themselves. Recently I learnt that Gov Fashola of Lagos is not a card carring member of AC! what an absurdity call Nigeria.

First of all we don't have a political party in the like of Action group, National Party of Nigeria what we have now is an association the comity of like mind interest in raping and looting. The head among them is selected by how many and the level of crime you can commit and get away or the level of protection they can secure for you in time of cash and kind and patronage!

Niger Delta case is yet over-Because ILE TI A FI ITO MO The foundation is faulty and is just an encouragement to some group both leaders and the lead not included in the equation to regroup and make their voice know no wonder companies and firms are leaving in droves to further increase the problem. And somebody is busy campaigning for patriotism.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by manny4life(m): 6:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
OAM4J:

Actually manny4life was right. you had no idea of what you are saying "The US-the nerve center of and for corruption-might seize to exist in another 5-10 yrs." - this is actually the joke of this thread.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who found it quite funny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / Ondo 2020: IGP Deploys Over 33,000 Personnel For Poll, Warns Political Thugs / Orumba Group In Enugu Endorses Maduka (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.