Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn (8872 Views)

Nigeria Is The Most Corrupt Country In The World - US NEWS / Lokoja’s Importance In Nigerian History - The Guardian / Nigeria Losing $9 Billion To Oil Theft Annually - Nuhu Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:38am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

do u know that america right now is engaged in a public debate on how to fund the additional afghan troops obama ordered

whether to raise taxes and who to raise it on. .

meanwhile budget deficits baloon,unemployment rises. .elections are next yr and no american president has the guts now to go on another military misadventure overseas

but apart from what i just raised. .your premise is wrong. . .

what will they be sending troops to do here?

u cant wake up one morning and land your troops on foriegn soil

venezuela seized US company oil assets. . what happened?.  .even during bush

most americans are tired and demand afghan troops come home even as i speak

Forget this long story. It will just be simple police action for them, you will even find our politicians becoming American and selling their mothers overnight. I can bet you that we don't even have enough petrol and diesel to sustain battle with Cameroun for two days, talkless of facing a couple aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 4:38am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

What hard truths are they conveying?  Telling me that Nigeria is in trouble is like telling me that the sun will shine tomorrow. Not a prophecy and  certainly not a novelty either.

The US have already made its decision on Nigeria a long time ago,  that explains why most of their activities (non-oil related) are concentrated in Ghana.  And thats the best they can do, no more , no less

As for those implying that the US have the magic wand to take over Nigeria , I laff at this new level of naivety in NL.

Don't be deceived, Forget about all that diplomatic bull-shit, Ghana has nothing to offer US. US economy has a stake in Nigeria oil.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 4:42am On Dec 13, 2009
OAM4J:

All that America needs to do is to promote/sell the idea of war among us, and they come in the name of peace keeping.

U prolly need to understand the origin of Nigeria and its problems. The US dont need to come here and do $hit.

Since Independence , the Nigerian Govt have been promoting the idea of wars by their actions.

The US dont need to come to Nigeria and make the Northern Oligarchy to live in stupendous wealth while the Nothern populace are left as beggars on the streets.

The US dont need to come here and make all our politicians to be corrupt while all the public infrastructures lie in rot.

The US dont need to come here and make Federal Budgeting system in such a way that the region of the nation that produces the bulk of the wealth remanins the poorest. The US dont need to do that, No sireeee,

We do bad all by ourself. Its a Nigerian problem , not a US problem.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:44am On Dec 13, 2009
My dear, I live in the US and I know everything that is going on (politically and economically)

I agree with you that they cant wake up one morning and land troops on our soil, even if they give us a year's warning we would still not be prepared.

ok so u are saying. . .our political problems will lead to some kind of conflict that will draw in the U.S for peacekeeping?

how come they are not invading guinea,honduras,zimbabwe,thailand,etc

i mean they will be easier countries to intervene in if your premise was true
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:46am On Dec 13, 2009
Forget this long story. It will just be simple police action for them, you will even find our politicians becoming American and selling their mothers overnight. I can bet you that we don't even have enough petrol and diesel to sustain battle with Cameroun for two days, talkless of facing a couple aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines.

when u wake up from this your fantasy or dream. .maybe u can contribute something meaningful to the discussion
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:46am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

ok. . america can defeat any country in the world it takes on. .

that is not what we are arguing here. . .at least not me

i say nobody has the guts right now in america to order another military misadventure of dubious outcome

u sit in nigeria or wherever u are and dream up fantasies

meanwhile ppl in america are telling u the realities on the ground with regards the mood of the nation

My friend, it is possible to live under the sun and remain blind. Is it not the same US that is carrying a new troop surge in Afghanistan. Putting more equipment in the desert? Combat in the desert with sophisticated equipment is very costly.

. . .And when did leaders start taking advice from the public on the need to go to war?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:48am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

when u wake up from this your fantasy or dream. .maybe u can contribute something meaningful to the discussion

Sorry. . .
You actually think you've contributed some meaning? grin
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:49am On Dec 13, 2009
the only intervening the U.S will be doing in Nigeria if things break down(which is highly improbable).  .is the landing of ships on the coast for naval evacuation of american citizens, ala, lebanon
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Kobojunkie: 4:49am On Dec 13, 2009
Nigerians and conspiracy theories!!!! Instead of tackling the real problems, I see the conspiracy factory is open for business in FULL FORCE!!! lol
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 4:50am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

ok so u are saying. . .our political problems will lead to some kind of conflict that will draw in the U.S for peacekeeping?

how come they are not invading guinea,honduras,zimbabwe,thailand,etc

i mean they will be easier countries to intervene in if your premise was true[/b]

What do the above countries have that America is interested in?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 4:50am On Dec 13, 2009
OAM4J:

US economy has a stake in Nigeria oil.

So?
Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela export the most oil into US than any other country.  U cant tell me that US and all those countries are very good bed fellows. Hugo Chavez and US are sworn enemies ad yet they still do bizness together.

Nigeria comes a distant 5th in oil exportation to the US. And with Oil showing up in different places in Angola that might change soon. Dont delude urself.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 4:52am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

U prolly need to understand the origin of Nigeria and its problems. The US dont need to come here and do $hit.

Since Independence , the Nigerian Govt have been promoting the idea of wars by their actions.

The US dont need to come to Nigeria and make the Northern Oligarchy to live in stupendous wealth while the Nothern populace are left as beggars on the streets.

The US dont need to come here and make all our politicians to be corrupt while all the public infrastructures lie in rot.

The US dont need to come here and make Federal Budgeting system in such a way that the region of the nation that produces the bulk of the wealth remanins the poorest. The US dont need to do that, No sireeee,

We do bad all by ourself. Its a Nigerian problem , not a US problem.

I agree with you. But in the event of war in this country, US will show up, to protect their selfish interest as usual. And if the war will profit them, they will encourage it (indirectly).

Don't forget, they have already predicted Nigeria as a failed state by 2015.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:53am On Dec 13, 2009
My friend, it is possible to live under the sun and remain blind. Is it not the same US that is carrying a new troop surge in Afghanistan. Putting more equipment in the desert? Combat in the desert with sophisticated equipment is very costly.

. . .And when did leaders start taking advice from the public on the need to go to war?

u remind me of liberians who destroyed their country. . in the misguided hopes that the almighty americans would intervene

they waited in vain. . while fighting a war that made no sense to anybody anywhere on earth

only a foolish person would wish for an american intervention in any country they call home

but again u insist u are making sense so what can i say

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 4:53am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

So?
Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela export the most oil into US than any other country.  U cant tell me that US and all those countries are very good bed fellows. Hugo Chavez and US are sworn enemies ad yet they still do bizness together.

Nigeria comes a distant 5th in oil exportation to the US. And with Oil showing up in different places in Angola that might change soon. Dont delude urself.

Is their govt. and economy as destabilized as ours?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:53am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

So?

You need to find out the meaning of "sweet crude". Nigeria's Bonny Light is about the best in the World (worth dying for). The oil from Venezuela is of very low quality, Saudi oil isn't much better.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 4:55am On Dec 13, 2009
OAM4J:

I agree with you. But in the event of war in this country, US will show up, to protect their selfish interest as usual. And if the war will profit them, they will encourage it (indirectly).

Don't forget, they have already predicted Nigeria as a failed state by 2015.

The US will show up alrite. They will show up to evacuate their citizens.

As for their prophecy, any person that is following the current trend in Nigeria will come up the same conclusion. The only way Nigeria will avoid implosion if this trend continues is if some military dude hijacks power again.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:56am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

u remind me of liberians who destroyed their country. . in the misguided hopes that the almighty americans would intervene

they waited in vain. . while fighting a war that made no sense to anybody anywhere on earth

only a foolish person would wish for an american intervention in any country they call home

but again u insist u are making sense so what can i say

I think you are really daft man! Who is saying that the US will come and intervene to save us? Are you blind or you just don't read what others write?
The argument from the start has always been that they will come only for the oil. Jesus! How tough can that be to understand?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by sjeezy8: 4:57am On Dec 13, 2009
I said shoot up militants not take over
The Sly:

This is lame.
Niger Delta is not located in California or Alaska.

Neither is iraq

Uche2nna:

I hope U are being sarcastic undecided
Cos that statement sounds like one from a 13 yr old that have seen too many commando movies

paddy_lo:

yea right u protect your interests by shooting it up. . .just months after there is relative security in the region from amnesty
meanwhile u do nothing for the last 10yrs while the militants were blowing ish up. . .
i wonder how ppl reason sometimes

you people dey fear? lol

no  be big deal 1000s of dead people are ok, as long as America gets it oil, which Nigerian govt is trying to sell to the East.
The US is putting pressure on Nigeria to up its production of Oil barrels per day and its said militant activities hurt Nigeria’s oil exports–costing at least over 25 percent of the country’s oil output.

If Nigeria does handle its own problem be sure America will handle it for them.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 4:58am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

So?

The problem is not with US and Nigeria. The problem is within us. All the countries you mentioned are not faced with the problems facing us today. All am saying, is that US has a vested interest in Nigeria however you belittle it, so in the event of war in Nigeria, they have an interest to protect.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 5:02am On Dec 13, 2009
tanimz:

Is their govt. and economy as destabilized as ours?

I mentioned Mexico and Venezuela and U are asking about Govt?  undecided  grin This is a joke, right?   :

(
Beaf:

You need to find out the meaning of "sweet crude". Nigeria's Bonny Light is about the best in the World (worth dying for). The oil from Venezuela is of very low quality, Saudi oil isn't much better.

Country Sep-09 Aug-09 YTD 2009 Sep-08 YTD 2008
CANADA 1,938 2,007 1,929 1,947 1,928
MEXICO 1,124 1,057 1,125 890 1,174
SAUDI ARABIA 1,031 745 1,023 1,429 1,525
VENEZUELA 1,014 1,007 1,014 944 1,038
NIGERIA 868 877 714 508 944

And yet they import about 2,000 barrels from Canada per month and just about 900 barrels from Nigeria. I cant argue about the quality of the crude (I am not equipped to) but I am saying that Nigeria is not the be all and end all in term of Oil for the US.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by sjeezy8: 5:03am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

I mentioned Mexico and Venezuela and U are asking about Govt? undecided grin This is a joke, right? :

(

And yet they import about 2,000 barrels from Canada per month and just about 900 barrels from Nigeria. I cant argue about the quality of the crude (I am not equipped to) but I am saying that Nigeria is not the be all and end all in term of Oil for the US.

[size=15pt]NO AMOUNT OF OIL IS TOO SMALL FOR AMERICA!!!!![/size]
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 5:04am On Dec 13, 2009
Uche2nna:

I mentioned Mexico and Venezuela and U are asking about Govt?  undecided  grin This is a joke, right?   :

(

The is a [b]huge [/b]cost margin when it comes to refining various grades of crude. Thats the crux.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 5:07am On Dec 13, 2009
a lot of u cats are watching too many movies.  .shoot militants,intervene in a country as large as france and uk combined. . .

break up of nigeria,us lands and protects interests,what interests are we talking about exactly. . .?

oil contracts signed by public quoted companies?

what u guys should be arguing instead that would make sense is that the U.S would prefarably install a puppet dictator

if things spiral out of control

how come they havent intervened in the democratic republic of congo?

its the richest country in africa. . plus american companies are still mining and doing business there
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 5:11am On Dec 13, 2009
I think you are really daft man! Who is saying that the US will come and intervene to save us? Are you blind or you just don't read what others write?
The argument from the start has always been that[b] they will come only for the oil[/b]. Jesus! How tough can that be to understand?

can u actually tell me the last time the u.s actually intervened militarilly in a country because of commercial reasons.  .?

and dont tell me afghanistan

as for iraq, it was more geopolitics and israel.  .than any oil

if not they would have invaded and overthrown qaddaffi in the 1980s
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 5:11am On Dec 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

[size=15pt]NO AMOUNT OF OIL IS TOO SMALL FOR AMERICA!!!!![/size]

No need to scream , sjeezy. Writing in caps dont make U any righter  grin

Of course, I agree. But U should know that world is in a constant flux. I just pointed the fact that Angola is now emerging as a major oil exporter to the States. The US dont need to go out of their way to land in the jungles of West Africa and start bombing the ND militants.

Beaf:

The is a [b]huge [/b]cost margin when it comes to refining various grades of crude. Thats the crux.

Yeah, like I said I am not equipped to argue about the quality of the crude  and how much the refining costs comparatively. Is that enuff for the US to land gbosa in Delta states and start blowing $hit up. I think thats the crux of the matter.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 5:12am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

a lot of u cats are watching too many movies.  .shoot militants,intervene in a country as large as france and uk combined. . .

break up of nigeria,us lands and protects interests,what interests are we talking about exactly. . .?

oil contracts signed by public quoted companies?

what u guys should be arguing instead that would make sense is that the U.S would prefarably install a puppet dictator

if things spiral out of control

how come they havent intervened in the democratic republic of congo?

its the richest country in africa. . plus american companies are still mining and doing business there

US "break up Nigeria"?. . .  You're the only one mentioning it (sort of inventing an argument). embarassed

As for Congo, the West likes just as it is; free for all, no law.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 5:15am On Dec 13, 2009
@ OAM4J, nice website, I love that woman!!

Thanks!!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Nobody: 5:16am On Dec 13, 2009
strangleyo:

I'm not sure how Nigeria was important in the world other than exporting people and oil.

thank you
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 5:18am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

can u actually tell me the last time the u.s actually intervened militarilly in a country because of commercial reasons.  .?

and dont tell me afghanistan

as for iraq, it was more geopolitics and israel.  .than any oil

if not they would have invaded and overthrown qaddaffi in the 1980s

But for some strange reason, the very first thing they did was race around the country "securing" oil fields (even before the ground war was over). What about all the Harliburton shenanigans in Iraq? There was never any story between Iraq and Isreal, the only excuses given by the US were Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (of course, both have oil), Saddam unilaterarily brought Isreal in by flying scuds at them. The history is is still very fresh, look it up.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 5:19am On Dec 13, 2009
am outta here u guys keep dreaming of  improbable hypotheticals. . .

meanwhile b4 the US ever dreams of setting foot in Nigeria, it should first go invade

sudan,zimbabwe,Drc,venezuela,yemen. . .

aint nuthing happening to nigeria. . .
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 5:24am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo and Uche2nna, is like you too are not following the discussion from the begginning. No one is saying US will just come and start blowing things up. All we are saying is that if we dont put our a-ss together and we allow the current situation to degenerate, US will not fold their hands and watch because of their selfish interest in Nigeria and that explains why they are monitorung the current events in Nigeria and saying all that is in the 1st post.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Kobojunkie: 5:27am On Dec 13, 2009
OAM4J:

paddy_lo and Uche2nna, is like you too are not following the discussion from the begginning. No one is saying US will just come and start blowing things up. All we are saying is that if we dont put our a-ss together and we allow the current situation to degenerate, US will not fold their hands and watch because of their selfish interest in Nigeria and that explains why they are monitorung the current events in Nigeria and saying all that is in the 1st post.

Is the US the only country with these selfish interests in Nigeria? Is China also going to do exactly what you claim the US will do in the event that the situation degenerates even further than it already has?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Soyinka And Tinubu Shun Oshiomhole's One-Man-One-Vote Rally In Benin City! / Osinbajo: Nigeria To Make Forex More Flexible, Conclude Eurobond End Of Q1 / My Concerns About Including Non-igbo Southsouth In The Biafran Struggle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.