Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,505 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn (8859 Views)

Nigeria Is The Most Corrupt Country In The World - US NEWS / Lokoja’s Importance In Nigerian History - The Guardian / Nigeria Losing $9 Billion To Oil Theft Annually - Nuhu Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 2:56am On Dec 13, 2009
[size=14pt]Nigeria’s rating has gone down – US envoys[/size]
By AGENCY REPORTER, Published: Sunday, 13 Dec 2009

Three former United States ambassadors to Nigeria have lashed out on Nigeria, declaring that her ratings in the comity of nations have greatly gone down, the Empowered Newswire reported on Saturday.

The envoys comprising Princeton Lyman, Walter Carrington and John Campbell spoke at the Chinua Achebe colloquium held at the Brown University, Providence on Friday, warning that ”Nigeria‘s glorious days in global estimation and the feeling of its invulnerability is now being progressively diminished.”

Their criticism came as the Special Adviser to the Assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Mr. Eric Silla, said the ”US is not about to turn its back on Nigeria.”

Lyman, currently a leading member of the US influential think tank, Council for Foreign Relations, noted particularly that Nigeria‘s strategic importance to the US had waned.

Nigeria, he warned, ran the risk of losing her importance to the US if her declining fortunes in global perceptions continued.

Frowning on what he called Nigeria‘s “de-industrialisation” where factories are closing and importation increasing, Lyman added that any new oil discoveries elsewhere in Africa and new energy policies would make the US less dependent on Nigeria‘s oil.
[size=14pt]
Carrington in his remark said Nigeria had become the butt of comedians[/size], especially with her exclusion as a member of the G20 countries.

The diplomat who said Nigeria stood the risk of becoming a security concern to the US, identified the Niger Delta as a possible terrain for such a development.

He added that something had to be done dramatically in Nigeria to address the corruption as well as to convoke a national dialogue in the country.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200912133481115
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 2:57am On Dec 13, 2009
Na small, small dem go dey make us look like banana republic, den one day marines go land. embarassed
The running down has now started at full steam.

We have thieving clowns ruling us that don't give a damn any which way. What do you expect?

Our president has been away for 20 days and we don't even know what the problem is, some idiots have been telling us to pray instead. [size=14pt]Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn![/size]  angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:16am On Dec 13, 2009
It is only God that would help us in this Nigeria, this one that the US is getting involved there is definately something involved. Politicians and other govt representative should do something fast because the US is not going to be involved in NIgeria without and ultimate plan/ move.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 3:23am On Dec 13, 2009
It is only God that would help us in this Nigeria, this one that the US is getting involved there is definately something involved. Politicians and other govt representative should do something fast because the US is not going to be involved in NIgeria without and ultimate plan/ move.

nothing will happen,if he dies or resigns. .jonathan takes over and conducts the 2011 election

if he survives,then its PDP headache to determine who to field in 2011

i dont know why ppl are getting all worked up,as if the US is in any position to intervene in Nigeria

obama should go face his many issues on the home front first
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:30am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

nothing will happen,if he dies or resigns. .jonathan takes over and conducts the 2011 election

i dont know why ppl are getting all worked up,as if the US is in any position to intervene in Nigeria

Nothing will happen? It is so easy for you to say/write abi? You dont know what the Americans have up their sleeves!

Obama ke? Na Obama talk say Americans dey pray for Yaradua's recovery? If we don't act fast there are tonnes of country that are ready to rule over us. Just because they are keeping quiet?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 3:33am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

Abeg!
US is not in a position to intervene in Nigeria? shocked So why have they been holding several war games simulating conflict with Nigeria. You think they have been doing it for fun?
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:36am On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

Abeg!
US is not in a position to intervene in Nigeria? shocked So why have they been holding several war games simulating conflict with Nigeria. You think they have been doing it for fun?

Abi ohh? Leave all of them to dreaming in dreamland! If Nigeria doesnt act quick, the consequences,
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 3:39am On Dec 13, 2009
Please let's try and see the bigger picture.

Our president and commander in chief  has gone AWOL,

The VP is not fully in charge, and if news comming from Saudi is true, it will remain like this for long.

Some people will continue to protect their selfish interest, budget will not be signed, people will complain and there will be agitations here and there.

If US or any country, military, or a part of the country is interested in war, it is in time like these they succeed.

That's why I agree with beaf, these are not days of prayer warriors, these are days of taking our destinies in our hands, else we might be asking for what is bigger than us.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:42am On Dec 13, 2009
OAM4J:

Please let's try and see the bigger picture.

Our president and commander in chief  has gone AWOL,

The VP is not fully in charge, and if news comming from Saudi is true, it will remain like this for long.

Some people will continue to protect their selfish interest, budget will not be signed, people will complain and there will be agitations here and there.

If US or any country, military, or a part of the country is interested in war, it is in time like these they succeed.

That's why I agree with beaf, these are not days of prayer warriors, these are days of taking our destinies in our hands, else we might be asking for what is bigger than us.

Thank you jare!!! Its people like you and beaf that we need in our govt.!!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 3:43am On Dec 13, 2009
tanimz:

Abi ohh? Leave all of them to dreaming in dreamland! If Nigeria doesnt act quick, the consequences,

I think the US has been looking for any excuse to "secure" their oil supply and of course our i.diot "leaders" would always have managed to bumble one into their dish.
Three ambassadors have spoken at a weekend, there must definitely be something new in the press for Monday (or maybe just generally cranking up the story further). Maybe Hilary will have something to say in a week or so (by then, we should know that our affairs have become major league).
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:47am On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

I think the US has been looking for any excuse to "secure" their oil supply and of course our i.diot "leaders" would always have managed to bumble one into their dish.
3 ambassadors have spoken at a weekend, there must definitely be something new in the press for Monday (or maybe just generally cranking up the story further). Maybe Hilary will have something to say in a week or so (by then, we should know that our affairs have become major league).

You totally took the words out of my mouth! The next thing you know Hilary would be in NIgeria to sign "some contract" and GBAM!! "Nigeria" is gone!!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 3:52am On Dec 13, 2009
tanimz:

You totally took the words out of my mouth! The next thing you know Hilary would be in NIgeria to sign "some contract" and GBAM!! "Nigeria" is gone!!

My dear, I don't think she will be doing it under the guise of a contract. The ambassadors that have already ridiculed Nigeria are not nearly as high up as Hilary. If she does speak, it would either be a direct warning or a direct command.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 3:56am On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

My dear, I don't think she will be doing it under the guise of a contract. The ambassadors that have already ridiculed Nigeria are not nearly as high up as Hilary. If she does speak, it would either be a direct warning or a direct command.

So true- that woman na authoritarian!!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by strangleyo: 4:01am On Dec 13, 2009
I'm not sure how Nigeria was important in the world other than exporting people and oil.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 4:09am On Dec 13, 2009
^^^And you think oil politics is a simple one. If only you know how many useless and needless wars that were fought in the Middle East all because of oil.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by sjeezy8: 4:13am On Dec 13, 2009
So in other words America prefered OBJ as president of Nigeria because during that time the Americans loved Nigeria and Obj.

I laugh at the lame excuse of the ND being a security risk for the US. They want oil and thats it. When Obj ordered troops to invade Bayelsa killing people and co, they were fine with it. Now they are not getting AS MUCH oil like during OBJ govt, they have a problem with Nigeria. Nigerian govt may be a joke no doubt but i give yaradua credit for atleast tryin to hatch a deal with the militants, if it  were Obj he would have wiped those militants out.

So if they invade Nigeria they will shooting up the ND and its militants.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:15am On Dec 13, 2009
Nothing will happen? It is so easy for you to say/write abi? You dont know what the Americans have up their sleeves!

Obama ke? Na Obama talk say Americans dey pray for Yaradua's recovery? If we don't act fast there are tonnes of country that are ready to rule over us. Just because they are keeping quiet?

u are delusional lady. . how old are u 12?

u think america has the guts or the money to intervene in another country halfway around the world?

then u must be smoking something

from the way u write it seems u dont understand how international relations work

most of u posting on here anyway. . .

"rule over us". .  .what a retarded statement to make
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by sjeezy8: 4:17am On Dec 13, 2009
They wont rule Nigeria per say but they will invade the Niger delta and shoot up militants to protect their oil interest.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by TheSly: 4:18am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

==>  cheesy grin cheesy

Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn
US should just shut up and mind their own business.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:19am On Dec 13, 2009
The ambassadors that have already ridiculed Nigeria are not nearly as high up as Hilary.

these are all ex- ambassadors.  .and i believe they speak in their capacity as private citizens

dont read into it more than it is. . .
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by TheSly: 4:20am On Dec 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

They wont rule Nigeria per say but they will invade the Niger delta and shoot up militants to protect their oil interest.
This is lame.
Niger Delta is not located in California or Alaska.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 4:22am On Dec 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

I hope U are being sarcastic undecided

Cos that statement sounds like one from a 13 yr old that have seen too many commando movies
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:23am On Dec 13, 2009

yea right u protect your interests by shooting it up. . .just months after there is relative security in the region from amnesty

meanwhile u do nothing for the last 10yrs while the militants were blowing ish up. . .

i wonder how ppl reason sometimes
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 4:25am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

u think america has the guts or the money to intervene in another country halfway around the world?

from the way u write it seems u dont understand how international relations work

most of u posting on her anyway. . .

America doesnt have the money? Siddon dier!! They are in a recession and they can still afford to send more and more troops to Iraq!!

If I didnt know anything about international relations do u think I would post anything here?

You are not justifying yourself in anyway (And I forgive you for insulting me)
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:26am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

these are all ex- ambassadors.  .and i believe they speak in their capacity as private citizens

dont read into it more than it is. . .

Ex's are usually employed to convey hard truths with the backing of the gravity due the positions they once held.
I take it with every seriousness.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Beaf: 4:30am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

most of u posting on here anyway. . .

Thats the joke of the century.
As heavily armed as Iraq was, how many days into Desert Storm did Bagdad succumb? Nigeria has some rickety planes and amoured cars from the 60's and zero electronics (command and control); it will take the US a couple of hours only. We won't even know when they start and finish.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by Uche2nna(m): 4:31am On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

Ex's are usually employed to convey hard truths with the backing of the gravity due the positions they once held.
I take it with every seriousness.

What hard truths are they conveying?  Telling me that Nigeria is in trouble is like telling me that the sun will shine tomorrow. Not a prophecy and  certainly not a novelty either.

The US have already made its decision on Nigeria a long time ago,  that explains why most of their activities (non-oil related) are concentrated in Ghana. And thats the best they can do, no more , no less

As for those implying that the US have the magic wand to take over Nigeria , I laff at this new level of naivety in NL.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 4:32am On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

As heavily armed as Iraq was, how many days into Desert Storm did Bagdad succumb? Nigeria has some rickety planes and amoured cars from the 60's and zero electronics (command and control); it will take the US a couple of hours minutes only.

cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:32am On Dec 13, 2009
America doesnt have the money? Siddon dier!! They are in a recession and they can still afford to send more and more troops to Iraq!!

If I didnt know anything about international relations do u think I would post anything here?

You are not justifying yourself in anyway (And I forgive you for insulting me)

do u know that america right now is engaged in a public debate on how to fund the additional afghan troops obama ordered

whether to raise taxes and who to raise it on. .

meanwhile budget deficits baloon,unemployment rises. .elections are next yr and no american president has the guts now to go on another military misadventure overseas

but apart from what i just raised. .your premise is wrong. . .

what will they be sending troops to do here?

u cant wake up one morning and land your troops on foriegn soil

venezuela seized US company oil assets. . what happened?.  .even during bush

most americans are tired and demand afghan troops come home even as i speak
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by OAM4J: 4:33am On Dec 13, 2009
We need to understand how these things work. American will not come directly to wage war against any country.

Lets wake up. the solution is in our hands. If all these selfishness, agitations and confusions continue, they are recipe for war.

All that America needs to do is to promote/sell the idea of war among us, and they come in the name of peace keeping.
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by tanimz(f): 4:36am On Dec 13, 2009
paddy_lo:

do u know that america right now is engaged in a public debate on how to fund the additional afghan troops obama ordered

whether to raise taxes and who to raise it on. .

meanwhile budget deficits baloon,unemployment rises. .elections are next yr and no american president has the guts now to go on another military misadventure overseas

but apart from what i just raised. .your premise is wrong. . .

what will they be sending troops to do here?

u cant wake up one morning and land your troops on foriegn soil

venezuela seized US company oil assets. . what happened?.  .even during bush

most americans are tired and demand afghan troops come home even as i speak

My dear, I live in the US and I know everything that is going on (politically and economically)

I agree with you that they cant wake up one morning and land troops on our soil, even if they give us a year's warning we would still not be prepared.

OAM4J:

We need to understand how these things work. American will not come directly to wage war against any country.

Lets wake up. the solution is in our hands. If all these selfishness, agitations and confusions continue, they are recipe for war.

All that America needs to do is to promote/sell the idea of war among us, and they come in the name of peace keeping.

Right!!
Re: Nigeria’s Losing Its Importance In The World, US Envoys Warn by paddylo1(m): 4:37am On Dec 13, 2009
As heavily armed as Iraq was, how many days into Desert Storm did Bagdad succumb? Nigeria has some rickety planes and amoured cars from the 60's and zero electronics (command and control); it will take the US a couple of hours only. We won't even know when they start and finish.

ok. . america can defeat any country in the world it takes on. .

that is not what we are arguing here. . .at least not me

i say nobody has the guts right now in america to order another military misadventure of dubious outcome

u sit in nigeria or wherever u are and dream up fantasies

meanwhile ppl in america are telling u the realities on the ground with regards the mood of the nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Zamfara State Official Jailed 29 Years Over Fertilizer Scam / South-east Reclaims Lead In Education! / SSS - Arik Incident Caused By Mentally-unstable Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.