Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,642 members, 7,823,826 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread (53316 Views)

How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign / Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Hybrid Vehicle Electrical And Electronic Problems - Question And Answers Thread! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:15am On Mar 14, 2017
Good morning everyone.
Just a quick update on P0340, I saw a video where a guy said if you have kick starter problem then you can also get a P0340 code.
My car had a kick starter problem and when it was changed the P0340 disappeared.
Why is kick starter not listed as one of the problems on obd-codes.com

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38N47i84obI

Thank you
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:22am On Mar 14, 2017

In a best case scenario, to repair an OBD II vehicle you need access to

1. the owner's manual

2. the vehicle's factory service manual

3. Vehicle specific DTC reference guide obtained from your manufacturer instead of a generic SAE DTC reference specification - this is often
a deal breaker

4. Vehicle specific vacuum schematics

5. Vehicle specific vapor hose schematics

6. Vehicle specific wiring diagrams

7. Vehicle-specific guidelines for turning on various vehicle monitors (what minimum criteria needs to be met for the vehicle monitor to run)

8. Access to third-part repair databases (unlike in Nigeria, if you work in facilities that repair vehicles overseas, you will observe that shops subscribe to services such as these

Without all of this, or at least number 2, number 3 and number 6, you cannot do a good job of the particular problem at hand.

Do you remember the above post?

You badly need number 2 to make meaningful progress.

Without number 2, your diagnosis and troubleshooting will be Local Class not World Class

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:46am On Mar 14, 2017
kushfc:
Noted

Useful to you?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:49am On Mar 14, 2017
uvalued:
not many interested sha but i follow to be educater

Hope the classes have been useful to you?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:16am On Mar 14, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Do you remember the above post?

You badly need number 2 to make meaningful progress.

Without number 2, your diagnosis and troubleshooting will be Local Class not World Class

Yes I remember that post, I will go look for a FSM
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by kushfc(m): 10:18am On Mar 14, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Useful to you?
Very useful I must say.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by ozone0801(m): 11:21am On Mar 14, 2017
Just seeing this class. I'm following and learning keenly.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:40am On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:

Yes I remember that post, I will go look for a FSM

Never ever forget that with the modern vehicle - knowledge is power.
Secondly, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

This quote says it all...the diagnosis of the vehicle is put on pause until owner gets the FSM and reports to the class with his FSM.

Caution when Relying Only on Diagnostic Trouble Codes...

Parts or components should not be replaced with reference to only a DTC. The vehicle service manual should be consulted for more information on possible causes of the fault, along with required testing.

For example, if a DTC reports a sensor fault, replacement of the sensor is unlikely to resolve the underlying problem. The fault is most likely to be caused by the systems that the sensor is monitoring, but might even be caused by the wiring to the sensor itself.

DTCs may also be triggered by faults earlier down the line. For example, a dirty MAF sensor might be causing the car to overcompensate in its fuel-trim adjustments. As a result, oxygen sensors are likely to report fuel mixture problems.

So to avoid unpredictable hazards when fixing a vehicle based on it's DTC codes -- make sure you get a reliable OBD2 reader that'll thoroughly scan the vehicle for faults beyond traditional DTC codes.

If your mechanic does not follow the steps we are following, then maybe that's why we tend to see threads like this created on Nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/3649573/prevalence-wrong-auto-diagnostics-nigeria

Credit for the above quote goes to: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/21/0/genericmanufacturer-obd2-codes-and-their-meanings
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:42am On Mar 14, 2017
ozone0801:
Just seeing this class. I'm following and learning keenly.

You are welcome to the class
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 12:00pm On Mar 14, 2017
Thanks for linking that other nairaland thread. Naija mechanics would tell you 'oga this one no mean anything', and you helplessly watch them yank off important parts on your vehicle.
I am following your tutorials step by step and I am not just going to throw motor parts at my mechanic whilst he uses my fund for his trial and error. I am sceptical about buying sensors because I have looked at local websites selling used parts here and they are selling sensors with over 240,000km life span and in good working conditions. From one of your posts, I could directly tell the upstream sensors DTC's fall under manufacturers fault at such one can't just go and buy generic sensors, the downstream sensors allow for generic sensors, and this means the upstream sensors have more major functions than the downstream sensors.

I have looked online at my local library and national library websites and can't find the repair manual for this car. Why can't car manufacturers include this in the booklets in the car, all I see are service booklet, user manual.
How or where do I shop for my car's FSM, any pointers I would really appreciate. I have called Toyota company directly and they are gonna check and get back to me for the FSM
Thumbs up to you AutoElectNG
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
Thanks for linking that other nairaland thread. Naija mechanics would tell you 'oga this one no mean anything', and you helplessly watch them yank off important parts on your vehicle.

I am following your tutorials step by step and I am not just going to throw motor parts at my mechanic whilst he uses my fund for his trial and error. I am sceptical about buying sensors because I have looked at local websites selling used parts here and they are selling sensors with over 240,000km life span and in good working conditions. From one of your posts, I could directly tell the upstream sensors DTC's fall under manufacturers fault at such one can't just go and buy generic sensors, the downstream sensors allow for generic sensors, and this means the upstream sensors have more major functions than the downstream sensors.

I have looked online at my local library and national library websites and can't find the repair manual for this car. Why can't car manufacturers include this in the booklets in the car, all I see are service booklet, user manual.

How or where do I shop for my car's FSM, any pointers I would really appreciate.
Thumbs up to you AutoElectNG

The source for your FSM:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&contextType=external&username=string&password=sercure_string&challenge_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%2FtechInfoPortal%2Flogin%2Ftechinfo&request_id=-7563125617258105338&authn_try_count=0&locale=en_US&resource_url=https%253A%252F%252Ftechinfo.toyota.com%252F

I suggest that you cough out the funds for one month's access to the TIS and download everything you can about your vehicle in that period.

You will get access to
1. Service Bulletins
2. Repair Manuals
3. Wiring Diagrams
4. Technical Training
5. Other Technical Information

This investment of $75 will turn out to be the next best decision after you have purchased that vehicle if you want it to serve you long and remain pristine.

I have attached screenshots of what you can expect at that link.

Vehicle manufacturers are in business to make money.

The automotive business is one of the most capital-intensive businesses in the world, and yet the margins are not that great.

Manufacturers include a user manual for free.

But as the pictures below show, documentation preparation for a vehicle does not end when the vehicle is produced.

It costs a lot to generate that data, it costs a lot to make it available online, it costs a lot to keep the information up-to-date, so they cannot afford to give it out for free. Otherwise, they would run at a loss.

So we hope you get to spend the $75 and when you have access, let us know so we can take it from there.

By the way the $75 gives you access to online and not printed manuals.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:06pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
... The car was diagnosed by qualified govt emission control center and the checks came back with the following:
1. MIL
2. Idling CO/HC too high
3. Increased idle value incorrect (guess they are referring to the rpm at idle)
OBD2 error codes identified
P0161-O2 sensor oxygen circuit low voltage (bank 2, sensor 2)
P0141-O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0340-Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
OBD self test not performed (I'm not sure what they mean by self test)...

Where are you based? Asking because of the bolded!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2017
I'm based in Sweden. This car is not marketed in USA, I think they have Sienna instead in the states. Do you mean I can only view the FSM online on TIS and cannot download the materials
Toyota co here just called me to come over for the FSM. I will check if the following are included in the booklet before I buy
1. Repair manual
2. Wiring diagrams
Am I missing anything out

1 Like

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:32pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
I'm based in Sweden. This car is not marketed in USA, I think they have Sienna instead in the states
Toyota co here just called me to come over for the FSM. I will check if the following are included in the booklet before I buy
1. Repair manual
2. Wiring diagrams
Am I missing anything out

Noted!

Ask them if they have got a TIS for Europe.

And ask for access to all the Technical Service Bulletins for your ride to date!!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Noted!

Ask them if they have got a TIS for Europe.

And ask for access to all the Technical Service Bulletins for your ride to date!!

By access do you mean read only and I can't download for future reference
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:

By access do you mean read only and I can't download for future reference

Either...

Access as in a username and log in to a portal

OR

a link to where that information can be downloaded if it is not behind a firewall!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 1:51pm On Mar 14, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Either...

Access as in a username and log in to a portal

OR

a link to where that information can be downloaded if it is not behind a firewall!

I found a website for Toyota Europe.
www.toyota-tech.eu/menu/Repair

Please take a look at this and give your opinion
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 2:02pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:

I found a website for Toyota Europe.
www.toyota-tech.eu/menu/Repair

Please take a look at this and give your opinion

Perfect!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Perfect!
The Toyota tech Europe database is not very useful and very expensive.
The materials are on CD and books only, and just electrical wiring diagram manual costs 40 euros for CD copy and 290 euros for the book.
I was at the Toyota company and what they had was an instruction manual which I have already in the car. I was referred to another store to buy Haynes repair manual, but unfortunately they don't have for verso.
The other TIS website I'm not sure if they have for my car model, and I have to supply them account and payment info even when I'm not sure if they have what I need.
What's the way forward
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 5:21pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:

The materials are on CD and books only, and just electrical wiring diagram manual costs 40 euros for CD copy and 290 euros for the book.
I was at the Toyota company and what they had was an instruction manual which I have already in the car. I was referred to another store to buy Haynes repair manual, but unfortunately they don't have for verso.
The other TIS website I'm not sure if they have for my car model, and I have to supply them account and payment info even when I'm not sure if they have what I need.
What's the way forward

Let's make a few enquiries from this end.

Can we have your VIN?

We'll be back soon
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 5:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
JT
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 8:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
Please kindly try https://toyotamanuals.com.au/register.

As you may be aware, your vehicle won Australia's "Best People Mover" back in the day.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:11pm On Mar 14, 2017
Oh yea it's such a great family mini van.
They don't have for verso in the link you attached. But take a look at the link below and let me know what you think

http://www.epcdepo.com/toyota-avensis-verso-picnic-service.html
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:34pm On Mar 14, 2017
Yea, noticed after posting.

Internet down

Toyota Avensis Verso, Picnic 2001-2009 Workshop Repair & Service Manual

This is cheaper!

Link deleted: Due to copyright concerns

This is Free!

Link deleted: Due to copyright concerns
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
Oh yea it's such a great family mini van.
They don't have for verso in the link you attached. But take a look at the link below and let me know what you think

http://www.epcdepo.com/toyota-avensis-verso-picnic-service.html

Love these guys,
they even have a preview of what you are about to buy
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:07pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:

What's the way forward

Let's forget about Toyota Tech Europe

Also ignore the TIS as they will most certainly not have data for your vehicle.

It has not been easy trying to obtain this manual, but you now have choices, per the above
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:13pm On Mar 14, 2017
I have paid for the download on the link below but it's saying no downloads found, and I've sent them an email on that expecting reply within 24hrs.

http://qualityservicemanual.com/713/toyota-avensis-verso-picnic-2001-2009-workshop-repair-service-manual
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:28pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
I have paid for the download on the link below but it's saying no downloads found, and I've sent them an email on that expecting reply within 24hrs.

http://qualityservicemanual.com/713/toyota-avensis-verso-picnic-2001-2009-workshop-repair-service-manual

This one is free Link deleted due to copyright concerns

The post above was updated.

Try to download from the link provided above ( the free one)
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:31pm On Mar 14, 2017
The free one is not working also.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
The free one is not working also.

Did you click on this link and follow the prompts? Link deleted due to copyright concerns
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 11:27pm On Mar 14, 2017
I have downloaded the free version, and I'm trying to put them in proper arrangement.
Thanks for your help, class resumes tomorrow I guess.
Have a good night rest
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 11:34pm On Mar 14, 2017
olaboy1:
I have downloaded the free version, and I'm trying to put them in proper arrangement.
Thanks for your help, class resumes tomorrow I guess.
Have a good night rest

Please post a screenshot of the home page.

I downloaded it before you but it refuses to run on Windows 10. What OS are you using?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Pole Smashes Man's New Car (Photos, Video) / This Brown Lexus LFA Is Just N380million. You Like? (photos) / Photo: Drivers Serving Punishment In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.