Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,394 members, 7,819,409 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread (53260 Views)

How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign / Autel OBD Scanner: Check that check engine! Buy a scanner. / Hybrid Vehicle Electrical And Electronic Problems - Question And Answers Thread! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:10pm On Mar 25, 2017
I can't buy the sensors from USA because they don't have Avensis verso in USA.
I will look around Europe where I can get them cheaper
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2017
olaboy1:
I am getting a conflicting report on the ohms for the downstream sensors.
FSM m_05_0092 is saying the specified ohms condition reading should be 5 to 10 ohms for P0141, and m_05_0057 for P0161 is saying 11-16ohms.

Valid observation.

Independently verified.

While we attempt to clarify this, please go-ahead to purchase the upstream sensors
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by SmartchoicesNG: 9:15pm On Mar 25, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Valid observation.

Independently verified.

While we attempt to clarify this, please go-ahead to purchase the upstream sensors
I have a car whose obd2 plug cables have been cut... How can I reconnect them?
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by SmartchoicesNG: 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2017
I will like to fix the wires to the obd2 port correctly... Please help
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

I have a car whose obd2 plug cables have been cut... How can I reconnect them?

Full description of the car so we know what the patient is, and how to approve this case!
---------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
---------------------
how to approach this case!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
olaboy1:
I can't buy the sensors from USA because they don't have Avensis verso in USA.
I will look around Europe where I can get them cheaper

They don't have Avensis Verso in America true

BUT

Toyota used the 1AZ-FE engine in several vehicle besides the above.

Just run a part number search beginning with Amazon to see if you actually cannot find it cheaper in America
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2017
olaboy1:
I am getting a conflicting report on the ohms for the downstream sensors.
FSM m_05_0092 is saying the specified ohms condition reading should be 5 to 10 ohms for P0141, and m_05_0057 for P0161 is saying 11-16ohms.

m_05_0092 deals with 1AZ-FE engines running the SFI SYSTEM
m_05_0057 deal with 1AZ-FE engines running the EFI SYSTEM.

From your user manual, which one does your vehicle run?

That will determine which values are appropriate?

---------------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
--------------------------
Study both documents in their entirety, subtle differences exist, especially in/around the following:

1. heater resistance results are different
2. EFI relay position is different
3. EFI relay design is different

The key to determine which system your ride uses is to study the EFI RELAY POSITION, then you will know which of the two documents to follow!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by SmartchoicesNG: 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Full description of the car so we know what the patient is, and how to approve this case!
1996 Honda civic European model... Manual transmission MA8. 1.4i
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:15pm On Mar 25, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

1996 Honda civic European model... Manual transmission MA8. 1.4i

We could proceed but can you provide pictures of the problem area? It will help immensely in determining resolution approach
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by SmartchoicesNG: 10:58pm On Mar 25, 2017
AutoElectNG:

We could proceed but can you provide pictures of the problem area? It will help immensely in determining resolution approach
Tomorrow.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
AutoElectNG:

m_05_0092 deals with 1AZ-FE engines running the SFI SYSTEM
m_05_0057 deal with 1AZ-FE engines running the EFI SYSTEM.

From your user manual, which one does your vehicle run?

That will determine which values are appropriate?

---------------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
--------------------------
Study both documents in their entirety, subtle differences exist, especially in/around the following:

1. heater resistance results are different
2. EFI relay position is different
3. EFI relay design is different

The key to determine which system your ride uses is to study the EFI RELAY POSITION, then you will know which of the two documents to follow!

My car runs the EFI system, also base on the ECM connectors/pins settings in the pix attached below that are the same with my car, and the position of EFI relay.
So readings from m_05_0057 are correct. Also since Toyota gave me the correct part numbers for the downstream sensors which normally read around 13ohms, so we can hereby conclude if my sensors manufacturer's readings must be above 10ohms then I can't run on SFI.
SFI (5-10ohms)
EFI (11-16ohms).
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:15pm On Mar 26, 2017
ECM

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:16pm On Mar 26, 2017
EFI relay

1 Like

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
I think I have to get back to you regards the EFI/SFI system thingy.
I need more investigation on this, and this will be done when I get to the car physically tomorrow. The previous posts were made by just looking at the user manual and this seem not to be the best way to check my EFI relay at this time.

I guess the manufacturer should write EFI on the relay in the car for easy identification.
I have checked my engine spec in the manual and no where did they write EFI or SFI, just 1AZ-FE
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
This is the fuse box diagram in my user manual that seems to match with the SFI system diagram in m_05_0092

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:18pm On Mar 26, 2017
m_05_0092

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 10:20pm On Mar 26, 2017
m_05_0057

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 10:56pm On Mar 26, 2017
Till you sight the car!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 11:06am On Mar 27, 2017
That's the fuse box. I asked from Toyota and they said it's EFI.
Please can you confirm where the EFI relay is from this pix.

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 12:39pm On Mar 27, 2017
Orientation of your picture is wrong.

Please find attached the correct orientation

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 3:01pm On Mar 27, 2017
Thanks. So it means my system is EFI.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 8:32pm On Mar 27, 2017
olaboy1:
Thanks. So it means my system is EFI.

Cool, so you know which tests to follow!
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 8:35pm On Mar 27, 2017
Could you please break down the wire harness test procedure in m_05_0057 for P0141 and P0161
Because I did continuity test for ECM E10 connector HT1B with no result, and for ECM E9 connector HT2B I got 00.2ohms.
So I want to know which connector/wire harness is for P0141 or P0161 while I wait for the upstream sensors to be delivered by Toyota.
Note I disconnected the battery negative terminal during this continuity and short tests as adviced by you, although the FSM did not state that in step (3) but then in step (4) it was stated for the harness/oxygen sensor EFI relay test.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/diagnosing-o2-sensor-heater-circuit-failures/
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2017
The third and last steps for P1135/P1155 in the FSM m_05_0098 did not explain how to check air fuel ratio sensor heater relay, and how to repair or replace wire harness or connector and the values in ohms/miliohms expected should that be the problem.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 8:05am On Mar 28, 2017
Additionally to the FSM wire harness integrity test, can I use the video below for proper diagnosis.
I have an OBD2 wifi adapter now and a pro version of OBD car doctor app on my iPad to help me with all the data I need regards freeze frame, O2 sensor voltage scope, fuel trims etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFQ3Y4eFWY
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 1:24pm On Mar 28, 2017
Busy...will be here when the workload lessens...
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 4:36pm On Mar 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:
Busy...will be here when the workload lessens...

Take your time broda. You have been very amazing giving us the right information.
I did the wire harness test today and was able to detect the ECM connectors specifically for P0141 and P0161. The wire harness tests for continuity for both downstream sensors gave me 0.1ohms each (manufacturer's req is resistance 1ohms or less).

I tried many times to test for short and never got any reading for both O2 sensors. I disconnected the ECM connectors (E10/E9), back probed HT1B and E2 no reading, HT2B and E2 no reading, and the only time I got some readings for both is before touching the lead on E2 which I presume is the ground, and I noticed the reading seem to be coming from my body or something. So for the short test I got 0.L on my DMM.
I don't want to conclude that I have a short because I had difficulties before testing the ECM voltage and wire harness continuity until I got them right. My suspicion though is that HT1B and HT2B are the signal wires and E2 is the ground for both circuits, so maybe the ground E2 is not working properly and my body served as the ground during the tests and that accounted for the reading I got while the DMM lead was not on E2.

As for the last tests which are oxygen sensor connector and EFI relay, the FSM did not state which pin on the EFI to touch. There are 4 pins on the relay and the way FSM described it like you need to probe one of the pins in the housing of the fuse box where the relay sits. I was wondering doing this test this way would not tell us if the relay is good or bad. Pleas shed more light on this.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
Steps 3 and 4 pixs attached

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by tunde783: 7:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
AutoElectNG:

belt or chain?

The timing chain was the culprit for the p0016code, it was exposed today. It jumped by one tooth.
Find attached pic

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by olaboy1: 7:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
tunde783:

The timing chain was the culprit for the p0016code, it was exposed today. It jumped by one tooth.
Find attached pic
Great. AutoElectNG stated this in one of his posts.
Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 7:59pm On Mar 28, 2017
tunde783:

Find attached pic

Is it all sorted out?

This was the suggested solution on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/3661728/on-board-diagnostics-obd-ii-questions/5#54780638 as far back as March 20, 2017 at 1921

In the following words:

How do you get out of this mess?

Mechanical - (timing chain has jumped tooth or chain stretched)
Electrical - Replace ECM

But you said you recently did an engine overhaul, so the culprit is not the ECM!

Then most likely what you have got on your hands is an engine rebuild gone wrong.
So you have most likely got either of the following:

1. a wrongly installed timing chain
2. a failed VVTi actuator
3. damaged wiring to the VVTi actuators

We believe it is more likely going to be number 1.

By the way, there is a Lexus TSB that says that if have P0016 and or P0019 as well as P0300 to P0306, ignore P0300 to P0306 and fix the P0016 and or P0019 first and the P0300 to P0306 might go!

Have you done a post-repair scan that ensures that the following conditions are fulfilled?

Re: On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) - Questions And Answers Thread by AutoElectNG: 8:00pm On Mar 28, 2017
Last picture

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Pole Smashes Man's New Car (Photos, Video) / Photo: Drivers Serving Punishment In Abuja / This Brown Lexus LFA Is Just N380million. You Like? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.