Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic (37831 Views)

Crisis Brews In NASS Over Sharing Of N578bn ‘padded Budget’ Projects / Placards From The 'I Stand With Nigeria' Protest (Photos) / Northerners Carry Placards To Support Fayose & Show Him Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by tyokunbo(m): 6:48pm On Mar 15, 2017
Source: http://towncrieronline.net/2017/03/15/crisis-brews-in-edo-as-benin-and-ijaw-youths-flaunt-placards-claiming-gelegele/

As shared by Hon Charles Eyimofe Pemu[i]

Ijaw vs Benin Communal Crisis looming as the Ijaws contend ownership of Gelegele community in Benin Kingdom , Ovia South West Areas of Edo State where there's gas flow station.

The President of the Ijaw Youths Council ( IYC ) , Mr. Eric Omare has warned that, if the issue of Gelegele community in Edo State ownership is not properly handled it will lead to a serious fracas between the Ijaws as a nation and the Binis as a kingdom. He further lamented that , they (Ijaws) have longed been marginalized by the edo government by depriving them of their share from their God given natural resources.

The youths of Benin kingdom staged a solidarity match to the oba palace after the threats from their ijaw tenants and then send a message to the ijaws that , the Binis are not cowards but, warriors and their military unit is ever ready to reprise whatever external aggression.

According to some of the angry Benin youths who speaks on behalf of the Binis in a very strong bitter tone that ' they (the Binis) are not the kind hearted and peaceful itsekiri people who are the overlords of warri kingdom but,let go their lands to their tenants just to make peace between them and tenants. that they ( the Bini's ) are ready to defend what belongs to them as their gesture to accommodate tenants shouldn't be mistaken for stupidity.

One of the Benin youths ask ' How old is the Ijaw kingdom in Nigeria that's if they have one and how many dynasty has reigned under the ijaws? He further said that the Benin kingdom has reigned over 40 monarch of which is the son of the 14th oba who suppose to be heir of Benin kingdom that established the great warri kingdom in the 1480AD so, he asked where were the others that are now fighting over lands as at then when others was establishing kingdoms? He asked 'what are their history to provd they own a place rather than claiming with violence approach?

Another of the Benin youth made a reference to the throne of England which is the highest monarchy in the world today though, not history of mankind that ' Is no not a breaking news but a known fact that , all tribes and persons in England remains under her majesty, the queen of England . He said, though God created and own all lands but only afew were made kings over others and that must be respected for the sake of peace.

Note that there has been issues between the Ijaw vs Itsekiri of warri kingdom, Ijaw vs Urhobo of Aladja, Ijaw vs Ilaje, Ijaw vs Yoruba of ondo, ijaws now vs Benin kingdom and there is ijaws vs federal government please is Nigeria an Ijaw community or is there something we are not being told? People are still wondering how lands that was known in the 70s as Okerenghigo are now known as Okerenkoko via political manipulation.

My take on this : There is a need for the federal government to take a stand on the issue of land dispute to put an end to all these problem once and for all because we are going to have such issue over and over if a long lasting solution is not put in place. We are all suppose to be brothers and sisters by the virtue of being human created by the Almighty God but, due to excessive greed and power of supremacies over others as a result of who should have a larger share, some groups persons and ethnic nationalities are forcefully encroaching into others with the use of violence as if one own the monopoly of violence over the others.

The earlier the federal government stop handling such issue with carrot stick which is only but a short measure for them to continually extorting from the troubled region, the better for humanity irrespective of persons.

In my option, I think the best way to resolve such threatening issues is to follow due process and respect the rule of law which is the last hope of the oppressed and common man. Justice cannot be achieved through the application of violation, oppression and suppression of other but, by presentation of evidence and references to show originality therefor, All parties should tender their proof of ownership over lands and the need for those in the appropriate authorities of government to be sincere in passing of judgement.

Charles Eyimofe Pemu.[/i]

The first photo shows Ijaw youths claiming the area, the latter photos show Benin youths doing the same thing.

CC: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by paschu: 6:52pm On Mar 15, 2017
Okay, but I hope Igbos are still the ones to blame here too?

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Negotiate: 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2017
Another problem... the jobless youths were screaming that they are ready for battle, another hungry lot.

you can watch the video here:

http://naijavocal.com/edo-youths-ready-battle/

1 Like

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Theyveedo(m): 6:54pm On Mar 15, 2017
These ijaw boys should calm down jo.
God create una create oil

7 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by SlayerSupreme: 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2017
Water-water epic land grabbers at it again cheesy cheesy cheesy.

But this Bini are evil and dey too dey yarn dust sha.

May the stronger side win cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by spartan117(m): 7:01pm On Mar 15, 2017
Why do ijaws assume dat they own whatever land that has oil Even d name gelegele is a Benin word

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Chiefobdk1: 7:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
So when did d ijaw clan move thr
Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by decatalyst(m): 7:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
Una sha wan tear this country into pieces grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by xxgig(m): 7:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
I'm begining to think that the iJaws and Fulanis share ancestry because where ever they are welcomed and allowed to settle, they begin to claim ownership.

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by LoveMachine(m): 7:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
Again?

2 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by mich24(m): 8:36pm On Mar 15, 2017
Watching in HD for now
Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Ogene001: 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2017
"we niger delta" crew over to you

9 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 15, 2017
Nigeria and crisis b 4 and 5.../ let d stronger tribe win.....wetin ijaw dey look for Bini kingdom...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by pedrilo: 10:14pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ijaws, the fulanis of southern nigeria!

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by ch91: 10:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
the benin kingdom made a mistake by not taking the fulani approach when they had the opportunity to dominate and spread..if they had taken advantage of the strenghth of their dynasty yester years, they could have been a majority tribe in Nigeria...cos the ancient benin kingdom reached parts of anambra state which means some parts of igbo land could have been part of the benin kingdown...now i believe they are regretting the errors of the past, common small ijaw is challenging the greatest kingdown in subsahaaran Africa...now as it stands, the ijaws are the majority of of all the tribes in the niger delta, that has some political advantage, cos everything in Nigeria is politics and politics is a game of numbers...
lesson: make the best use of your chances...

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by kid23(m): 10:58pm On Mar 15, 2017
ch91:
the benin kingdom made a mistake by not taking the fulani approach when they had the opportunity to dominate and spread..if they had taken advantage of the strenghth of their dynasty yester years, they could have been a majority tribe in Nigeria...cos the ancient benin kingdom reached parts of anambra state which means some parts of igbo land could have been part of the benin kingdown...now i believe they are regretting the errors of the past, common small ijaw is challenging the greatest kingdown in subsahaaran Africa...now as it stands, the ijaws are the majority of of all the tribes in the niger delta, that has some political advantage, cos everything in Nigeria is politics and politics is a game of numbers...

What are you saying??

38 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by RobbStark(m): 11:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
pedrilo:
Ijaws, the fulanis of southern nigeria!

Tell me where you come frm and lets talk about tribe if that is the shiit you are made of.

Unam!

1 Like

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by stonemasonn: 11:55pm On Mar 15, 2017
Benin dey flex muscle with their Ijaw neighbors.

But
If na Fulani herdsmen now una go look the other side.

5 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by stonemasonn: 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2017
ch91:
Everything that has a beginning must have an end. The Greeks, Romans, Brits, Ottomans etc.
No empire/kingdom/group of people can dominate for ever.

Even the Uthman Dan Fodio dynasty may not last the next hundred years.

26 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by legendsilver(m): 12:37am On Mar 16, 2017
I trust my Bini brothers, them go kawa when matter set.

4 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Godstraight(m): 2:30am On Mar 16, 2017
ch91:
ijaw peeps are majority in south south ,but they are an ungrateful ignorant and arrogant minority in Edo(the only place we truelly care about),they shall be booted out

7 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Chibuzoc(m): 4:19am On Mar 16, 2017
igbos are the cause of the problems land grabbers hahahaha

8 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by DocHMD: 6:28am On Mar 16, 2017
ch91:

Prince Chima of Anioma sent the Bini warriors packing and drowned many of them in the niger river when they ventured into Igboland through the western front. Go read your history. Igbo have never and can never be conquered by an Indigenous African tribe.

Ask yourself why despite Bini kingdom being a stone throw away from Igboland it couldn't influence Igboland substantially but went all the way to influence yorubaland and even naming a city Eko (present-day lagos). Eko was historically a war camp of the Binis. They also own the title Oba.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by RockHard: 7:06am On Mar 16, 2017
DocHMD:

Prince Chima of Anioma sent the Bini warriors packing and drowned many of them in the niger river when they ventured into Igboland through the western front. Go read your history. Igbo have never and can never be conquered by an Indigenous African tribe.

Ask yourself why despite Bini kingdom being a stone throw away from Igboland it couldn't influence Igboland substantially but went all the way to influence yorubaland and even naming a city Eko (present-day lagos). Eko was historically a war camp of the Binis. They also own the title Oba.

Why must you flat heads always involve/drag Yoruba people into everything just to create mischief? In your foolishness you have displayed crass ignorance by delving into a subject that you know little to nothing about. At the risk of derailing this thread I feel your misinformation needs to be arrested lest it spreads. FYI, Binis DON'T own the Oba title (its origin is Yoruba and that's supported by history which I am sure you can easily access if you weren't so lazy, you ignoramus -- history shows and records that the present Bini royalty has Yoruba blood from Oranmiyan bloodline after the cessation of the Ogiso dynasty).

I really don't care about your igbo people's links, influence or connection to Binis, but since you have shown yourself to be a mischievous revisionist/distortionist, I will gladly further expose your ignorance by referring you to Nnamdi Azikiwe's own admission that your Onitsha was founded by an edo/bini prince. The guy obviously preferred to identify with a bini origin than igbo. #Fact. Now choke on that.

https://www.nairaland.com/2754636/onitsha-founded-edo-prince-nnamdi

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/threads/the-meaning-and-history-of-onitsha.75723/

"I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD.
" SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p5

"One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word 'Onitsha'. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, "

"I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu, , " "As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc,
" SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p 11 - 12

Another Source

ONITSHA: History and Acculteration

Many historical accounts exist about the origin of Onitsha people. These accounts, based mostly on oral traditions and stories passed on from generations to another, tell us about a migration led by Eze Chima, the founding king of Onitsha around the sixteenth century AD. The differences stem mostly from details of what caused the movement as well as a few facts regarding the origin of the migrants, Ile-Ife in Yoruba heartland or Benin.

All accounts,however, agree on the movement from the Mid-West parts of Nigeria with the predominant version placing Onitsha people in Benin at the time of Oba Esigie. The Yoruba accounts claim that the name Onitsha is a corruption of the Yoruba word, Orisha (a deity seen as an emissary of Olodumare - Yoruba for God). The full names, Onitsha Ado n' Idu mark a complete reference to these combined ancestry of Ado (another reference to the Yoruba) and Idu (Benin). The affinity to Benin people is most evidenct in ancient Onitsha customs and Ndichie titles which have undeniable similarities to what exist in Benin as in names such as Iyasele, Osodi, Osuma, Ozoma, Onira, Osowa, etc.

Aspects of the Benin account suggest that Onitsha people left Benin as a result of a strife with Oba Esigie orchestrated by an altercation with the Oba's mother who had trespassed on farm lands belonging to the Onitshas. The resultant unrest forced Eze Chima, the progenitor of Onitsha to move East with his family and supporters in search of a new homeland.

They travelled for years founding many settlements along the way. It was in one such place, Obior, that Eze Chima died but some of his children and followers continued, founding other places that make up the Ezechima clan in the present Delta State of Nigeria. This explains the Kinship with Issele-Uku, Obamkpa, Onitsha-Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Obior, Onitsha-Ukwu and so on. As a matter of fact, some Onitsha villages like Obior and Obamkpa (Iyiawu and Umuase) owe their names to these places and trace their origins to the clans across the Niger.

The modern day Onitsha, however, has become a metropolis consisting of the descendants of the original immigrants and a mixture of hinterland Igbos, the Igalla people and others attracted by the booming commerce, marriage and those whose ancestors were bonded in servitude. The acculturation that followed has resulted in the admixture of present day customs and in some cases loss of certain ethos and norms. Some traditional institutions and customs have however survived this corruption which is why Onitsha kingship remains a revered institution among first class leaders in Nigeria. Other such ancient customs include the Ndichie, traditionally the King's ministers and warlords. Aspects of Onitsha burial rights and names have also survived the cross cultural influence

http://www.onitshasummit.com/History.php

84 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by michelz: 7:33am On Mar 16, 2017
Human beings have refused to learn because of greed,hatred and envy.
I remember very well how Ijaws on this forum would be claiming known Igbo lands and communities in Nigeria and the Binis would be supporting them because of in-born hatred for the Igbos. Now look at it now. It has come to their doorsteps to bite their behinds.
Good for them! smiley

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by Efewestern: 7:39am On Mar 16, 2017
this bini people should leave warri out of there madness, why are they dragging warri into this ?, how dare them declare a single tribe as the original owner of warri? , they shouldn't think because people are quite they can tell who owns warri, Urhobo, itskiri and ijaw both control there part in warri and we are happy with that. they should face they land and lets others be.

for those of you calling ijaw land grabber you know nothing about ijaw, ijaw land extend to ondo and Edo, most oil producing communities in Edo are ijaw communities.

they think this is 300yrs ago, try ijaw people, them go show you pepper, overated edo people..

17 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews In Edo As Benin, Ijaw Youths Flaunt Placards Claiming Gelegele (pic by pedrilo: 7:55am On Mar 16, 2017
RobbStark:

Tell me where you come frm and lets talk about tribe if that is the shiit you are made of.

Unam!
u don't want to get me upset! Iranu

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aisha Yesufu: "I Will Help Buhari Pack To Daura In 2019" / Amaechi On Loan: China Can Seize Assets If Nigeria Defaults / Peter Obi Pays Condolence Visits To Families Of Herbert Wigwe And Ogunbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.