Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,314 members, 7,819,067 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate (64305 Views)

Sowore: "You Owe Nigerians An Explanation’ – Sagay Tells DSS Over Re-arrest Of A / Complete All Ambode's Projects Before Starting New Ones, Sagay Tells Sanwo-olu / Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ipobbigot7: 5:06pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:
Why are all of Buhari’s appointees displaying unnecessary ego it must be flowing 4rm d top.
See as he face worwor angry

The question you should being asking is why the senate under Saraki turning the house to a floor for incessant invitation because they felt their egos is trampled on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by linusbnn(m): 5:06pm On Mar 29, 2017
janefarms2015:

Who is ordinary office clerk? Do you know the position he occupies? Do you know this erudite professor's records and antecedents? No lawyer or any honest Nigerian who is matured enough in age and intellect will not respect this man's view on issues of national development

Go sleep
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by okechuks22: 5:06pm On Mar 29, 2017
janefarms2015:

Who is ordinary office clerk? Do you know the position he occupies? Do you know this erudite professor's records and antecedents? No lawyer or any honest Nigerian who is matured enough in age and intellect will not respect this man's view on issues of national development
bro allow some brain washed youths to be wasting there data defending all this idiots called senators
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by enigma2007(m): 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2017
timota:
how fast is buhari u think saraki is as dull as that before u count 1 to 5 saraki would be through with him and the impeachment concluded

I laugh in 3D... and you think someone that became a general during a war or that has control of all the security apparatus of the country is stupid..abi?? kontinue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by cktheluckyman: 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2017
famology:
U got it wrng,ur assertion here relates 2 summoning a witnes 2 give evidence in an investigation.
He said the Senate has people of questionable characters hence the Senate committee on ethics is investigating the allegations by summoning him to substantiate his claims
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ipobbigot7: 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:
insubordination will crush this government

imagine ordinary office clerk saying board of directors can not summon him

let's attack the individual and respect the institution

1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by signz: 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
hazyfm1:
89. (1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -
(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;
(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;
(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and
(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.
(2) A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require

Thank you very much.

The Senate can order the IG to arrest him and drag him to Senate.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by kayzat: 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Chai very apt and someone who calls himself a professor of law doesn't know this.Maybe he attended midnight law class

Then let Saraki and his gangs order the arrest of this learned Prof.

This is a constitutional issue and I DARE Saraki and his gangs to arrest Prof Itse Sagay and by then I will start taking them serious
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ndcide(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Reptyle:
Below was my comment on an earlier thread on this same matter. It is a shame that the Nigerian Senate has allowed itself to be reduced to this crass level.

[b]"The role occupied by Professor Itse Sagay is not formally recognised by the constitution. He is at best a member of the President's "kitchen cabinet" who was appointed without any recourse to the legislature.

I doubt very much that the Senate has any legal right to invite him over a statement he can easily argue that he made in his personal capacity as a Nigerian citizen.

Like I said during the Hamidu Alli debacle, the Nigerian senate needs to pick its fight carefully. There is no need issuing ineffectual and pointless decrees and summons when it will only end up making itself look irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Itse Sagay might be a lot of things but one thing he has going for him is a deep knowledge of the Nigerian constitution both as a legal practitioner and a leading academic in that field. I can almost bet that he will be releasing a statement before the end of today trashing the senate's summon and upbraiding the hell out of them."[/b]

The constitution empowers the Senate to summon anyone in Nigeria and give a warrant of arrest. including the president. Sagay did not know the section he quoted.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by distilledwalex(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
ALAYORMII:
The Senate is fast becoming a joke

Buhari shot himself in the foot when he willingly or by mistake allowed the Senate to fall into the wrong hands

99.9% of the senators are fantastically corrupt

The remaining 0.1% are still corrupt
Infact u get genesis of d problem.. Buhari acted like a real dumb upon his inauguration and allowef the senate to fall into the wrong hand.. Now we are all paying for it..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by 9jatatafo(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Billyonaire:
To interact with me, on my level, please learn to spell. But if you already can spell, then be patient enough to type correct spellings. Those who type short-hands on this forum, are those thwarts who are impatient enough to even reason correctly. You are clearly not emotionally intelligent to chat with my dog.

Make una come see oooooo!!!! The quarrel don reach this level? Slow down mehn
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by linusbnn(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Bashirfuntua:
while the world is rejecting us because we're Nigerians not minding your tribe or religion. we are here fighting ourselves because of tribe and religion
Nigerians let unite against corruption,
let say no to NASS
let say no to herds men killing
let say no to injustice
let say no to Kaduna, Ife and Benue killings.

Let's say no to this egolitic executives and not only NASS. Be rational
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by pauljumbo: 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
yes i understand there are some position you find yourself in life you talk less

real leaders influence their decisions obasanjo removed more than 3 senates president without his appointees attacking them

i find it funny why the presidency can't influence the senates that majority are from the same party

skedman:
hello,you should seek knowledge from people before writing ,everybody have a right of opinion which is back up by law .we all have a fundamental right to speak.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Hafeezson(m): 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Tell them because some of them are certificate forgerers they no nothing like that aboki called DINO
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by famology(m): 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Buhari should arrest just one senator now and see how easy it is to get 2/3 of the Senate. The Senate right now are very pissed with him
I am sure u dnt knw wat it takes 2 impeach a nigeria president.pls pick up ur constitution nd educate ursef.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by marv1: 5:10pm On Mar 29, 2017
Its because you dont know your rights. Must they show recklessness in discharging their duties? If they have any problem with he said they should go to court. There is freedom of speech after all he has not mentioned any name.Even if he gets there are they going to kill him. thieving sinators.
spartan117:
Why are all of Buhari’s appointees displaying unnecessary ego it must be flowing 4rm d top.
See as he face worwor angry
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by dokunbam(m): 5:10pm On Mar 29, 2017
Enangson:
#RoguesInAgbada

Oya come and summon me

Senate go summon Tata
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by walex2(m): 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Chai very apt and someone who calls himself a professor of law doesn't know this.Maybe he attended midnight law lass

So with your analysis what document are they requesting from him. You don't just read constitution on a face value. Let the lawyers interprete
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by linusbnn(m): 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
AntiWailer:
Chai.

They think everybody can be bullied like that ABU VC.

He told them to get a sensible lawyer to interprete the constitution to them.

Bunch of criminals.

They recommended suspension for the senator who simply asked for investigation into what he read in the newspaper.

What did the same senator said about Buhari primary6 cert, what did he say about SGF contract fraud, and what has he said about fulani killings everywhere?.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by DeRay98(m): 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

Do you see these members as duely representing the institution and the Nig people?
You call an Authority in law as a clerk.
Your ignorance stinks
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by kayzat: 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
enigma2007:

I laugh in 3D... and you think someone that became a general during a war or that has control of all the security apparatus of the country is stupid..abi?? kontinue

Even as stupid , foolish and dull GEJ is we all know how he threatened Tambuwal then. anyway, I won't blame the senate thieves because that is what you get when you belong to anybody.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by famology(m): 5:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

He said the Senate has people of questionable characters hence the Senate committee on ethics is investigating the allegations by summoning him to substantiate his claims
D senate is overreaching itz sef.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Jobos(m): 5:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government

what is insult in saying the true.
he said they lack the authority to summon him ,and went further that the Senate should ask their lawyers.
The truth is bitter
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by linusbnn(m): 5:13pm On Mar 29, 2017
DeRay98:

Do you see these members as duely representing the institution and the Nig people?
You call an Authority in law as a clerk.
Your ignorance stinks

He is a clerk becos he is heading an ordinary committee,the authority we know is the NIGERIA SENATE.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by famology(m): 5:13pm On Mar 29, 2017
signz:

Thank you very much.
The Senate can order the IG to arrest him and drag him to Senate.
WHICH IG?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by FirstCounsel(m): 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
The same senate that summoned american ambassador to nigeria.. grin

This senate has got to be the worst in the history.
Just bunch of clowns who think they have power to do whatever they want.

What next? They start summoning every nigerian who says anything against them?

Clowns is an understatement. A bunch of jesters'. Honestly but for checks and balances the National Assembly should be scrapped or their numbers reduced to a manageable level
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by timota(m): 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
enigma2007:

when a military coup overthrew him was the security apparatus not with him,this time it is a civilian coup(impeachment) that will sent him packing.Even without being u don't know that he is not in control

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by enigma2007(m): 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Chai very apt and someone who calls himself a professor of law doesn't know this.Maybe he attended midnight law class

Read from Section 88 to understand his position sir. Point 89 cannot be read out of context..

88. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, each House of the National Assembly shall have power by resolution published in its journal or in the Official Gazette of the Government of the Federation to direct or cause to be directed investigation into -

(a) any matter or thing with respect to which it has power to make laws, and

(b) the conduct of affairs of any person, authority, ministry or government department charged, or intended to be charged, with the duty of or responsibility for -

(i) executing or administering laws enacted by National Assembly, and

(ii) disbursing or administering moneys appropriated or to be appropriated by the National Assembly.

(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to -

(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and

(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by spartan117(m): 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
ipobbigot7:

The question you should be asking is why the senate under Saraki turning the house to a floor for incessant invitation because they felt their egos is trampled on.

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by okechuks22: 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government
they deserved more than insult Oga if ur father is among them try tell him that they are not doing well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by bufness(m): 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

lol, a whole professor of law, a office clerk?, you dont know what you're saying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by signz: 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2017
famology:
WHICH IG?

Or rather IGP - Inspector General of Police

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Boko Haram Abandon Their Injured Member During Battle With Soldiers & Flee(pics) / Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi Confirmed As A Minister / Donald Trump's 'Buhari Is Lifeless': Buhari Media Organisation Reacts To Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.