Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension (28962 Views)

Falana On Elisha Abbo: Senators Have No Right To Question Abbo Over Assault / Ruga: Atiku Vs Femi Fani-Kayode On Twitter / Buhari Has Ended Obasanjo’s May 29 Hypocrisy, Says Falana On June 12 Democracy D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Ijaya123: 12:33pm On Apr 01, 2017
Leboska:
Falana's argument sounds more like a beer parlour's argument

And Ozekhome's sound like mama put argument.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Eastwest: 12:40pm On Apr 01, 2017
Mr. Falana is working very hard for any political appointment. so so so sad,
Leboska:
Falana's argument sounds more like a beer parlour's argument
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by President99: 12:46pm On Apr 01, 2017
TheVictorious:

By the provision of the constitution as at then, card reader report was not strong enough to reject votes of individuals that are duly registered to vote, except otherwise they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that those individuals were not mistakenly rejected by the card reader (We all know the card reader actually rejected countless individuals that were duly eligible and duly registered to vote). This clause gave room for irregularities and this is what has led to the amendment of that law. That said fighting corruption has to do with correcting the system to increase transparency, not to pull down the system and make everybody accountable to one "infallible" individual.

By the way, I did not support anybody that wasn't doing the right thing. I'm not into the same partisan politics you guys always play.

You said "Mike is a lawyer not coz is better than other people who are not lawyers in argument but by the virtue of same law he now ignores. No matter how good an argument is, it must be base on law(constitution or act) or at least a subsisting court pronouncement."

Stop beating round the bush, come out and lucidly highlight how his argument is not based on the law.
Is Mike that is beating round the bush! Here is what a Nairanlander said earlier on this thread, " Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's
Suspension by duni04 ( m ): 8:52am
The difference between the 2 lawyers is clear.
Falana cited references in Tony momoh Vs the
Senate, to show that the Senate or any
Parliament has no right to arbitrarily summon
anyone especially to settle political scores. At
best the Senate can sue for libel. On Ndume's
suspension, Falana cited Dino melaye Vs the
house of representatives to show that the house
has no power to suspend a lawmaker for even a
single day. [b]There are already precedents for
these cases. The courts have already interpreted
Mike Ozekhome's postulations. Ozekhome is
acting and behaving like he doesn't read legal
reports. [/b]Besides, anything he says is morally
tainted since he has corruption cases with the
EFCC for money laundering pending in court." Two courts, hight court and appeal court have decided this case that a NASS member cant be suspended. Mike should tell us which court interpreted the constitution that a NASS member cant be suspended.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by gare(f): 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
rusher14:

Are you sure you watched the show?

Did you follow the link or even bother to read the extracts?

Because if you did, you would find that Falana stood for Dino and even won the case when it came up.

You're right

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by africanusvu(m): 1:06pm On Apr 01, 2017
swtdrms:

That's the problem with ur ilks, u lack intelligent and analytical reasoning.
Government affairs is not based on discretion, it entirely based on provisions of the constitution. And these provisions must be strictly adhered to. That's the more reason why constitution is being amended on a regular basis. If you don't have enough knowledge of how government operates its better you keep quiet.
.Tell me wat brought this insult now.must u always insult peple here.just simple discusion and u began ur usualy sily insults
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by gare(f): 1:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
ogunjyde2004:

Madam is like you dnt know anything about Nigeria politics, falana was jubrin lawyer in that case u can check it here
http://www.thelinkng.com/house-seals-defiant-hon-jubrils-office/

Why didn't he mention it, anyway I still feel members should abide by their house or senate rules to bring about orderliness in the house, if everybody decides to behave like Sahara reporters, you can imagine how the senate will look like, I know some of you grow up in disorganised home so you are used to things like this, but we can't continue like this.

Facts must be verified before bringing it up
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Boyooosa(m): 1:10pm On Apr 01, 2017
Acidosis:

Everything you said is true... I watched it also, and I think Mike is on a right path. He also mentioned how a Nigerian was rejected by the house in the US. Obama was furious seeing that he believed so much in the man to run the agency. As good as his thoughts were, Obama bowed and tendered another name.

So what's so wrong in rejecting Magu? Nigerians will eventually kill democracy. Mike stated that the fact that anyone does not like the faces of certain Senators does not mean we must alter the constitution.

Seriously, Mike was on point. That you love Buhari and hate Saraki changes nothing! Put that shitty thoughts in your mind and allow the constitution prevail.

Meanwhile, [s]the Senate has the full right to summon any Nigerian, including the common man on the street.[/s]
Dont water down the arguments of the elites na, haba!

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by ceaser: 1:11pm On Apr 01, 2017
[
mobaking:
Ok,falana was not biased when he took the national assembly to court over Dino melaye's suspension?.

Ha! Thank you o. I just weak when I read the first few comments and they all had one ing in common: Ignorance written all over.

One even went as far as saying Falana's agreement is like beer palour argument even when Dino, one of the subjects involved in the new imbroglio is clearly playing double games as he has been a beneficiary of the fight against injustices in the senate before now. Chai!

Mike Ozhekome is currently on the radar of the police and anti-graft for corruption, so where the heck d'you think his arguments will vacillate to? In all his submissions, he did not cite any single precedence in the Nigerian court pronouncement or legal dispensation to back his claim. Falana has all the facts to draw from recent legal history to strengthen his points, yet it is beer palour gist.

How then, if youths make such comments that is devoid of deductive and critical thinking, do we get out of this quagmire?

Professor Pius Adesanmi once made mention of how one of these youths who needed him (Adesanmi) as referee for an international study went on FACEBOOk to defend a Nigerian politician involved in certificate scandal and corruption. Please if schools like LSE, Harvard or other prestigious universities of international repute were to be sent any of these defenders of corruption and injustice application for study, do they stand any chance of being considered?

3 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Walexxy11: 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2017
swtdrms:

That's the problem with ur ilks, u lack intelligent and analytical reasoning.
Government affairs is not based on discretion, it entirely based on provisions of the constitution. And these provisions must be strictly adhered to. That's the more reason why constitution is being amended on a regular basis. If you don't have enough knowledge of how government operates its better you keep quiet.
God bless you for this. Simple reasoning from the above arguments says it all. Does Mike Ozekhome knows the law more than a professor of law, Prof. Sagay? Mike needs lecturing

3 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Walexxy11: 1:33pm On Apr 01, 2017
ceaser:
[

Ha! Thank you o. I just weak when I read the first few comments and they all had one ing in common: Ignorance written all over.

One even went as far as saying Falana's agreement is like beer palour argument even when Dino, one of the subjects involved in the new imbroglio is clearly playing double games as he has been a beneficiary of the fight against injustices in the senate before now. Chai!

Mike Ozhekome is currently on the radar of the police and anti-graft for corruption, so where the heck d'you think his arguments will vacillate to? In all his submissions, he did not cite any single precedence in the Nigerian court pronouncement or legal dispensation to back his claim. Falana has all the facts to draw from recent legal history to strengthen his points, yet it is beer palour gist.

How then, if youths make such comments that is devoid of deductive and critical thinking, do we get out of this quagmire?

Professor Pius Adesanmi once made mention of how one of these youths who needed him (Adesanmi) as referee for an international study went on FACEBOOk to defend a Nigerian politician involved in certificate scandal and corruption. Please if schools like LSE, Harvard or other prestigious universities of international repute were to be sent any of these defenders of corruption and injustice application for study, do they stand any chance of being considered?
God bless you for a keen analysis. My "youth" colleagues dey surprise person oooo....And na we dey complain say these men are bad, we sef worse

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Elkay3: 1:37pm On Apr 01, 2017
Acidosis:

Everything you said is true... I watched it also, and I think Mike is on a right path. He also mentioned how a Nigerian was rejected by the house in the US. Obama was furious seeing that he believed so much in the man to run the agency. As good as his thoughts were, Obama bowed and tendered another name.

So what's so wrong in rejecting Magu? Nigerians will eventually kill democracy. Mike stated that the fact that anyone does not like the faces of certain Senators does not mean we must alter the constitution.

Seriously, Mike was on point. That you love Buhari and hate Saraki changes nothing! Put that shitty thoughts in your mind and allow the constitution prevail.

Meanwhile, the Senate has the full right to summon any Nigerian, including the common man on the street.

Someone asked a question.
Interesting question.
Does the power of the Senate House give them the entitlement or right to keep a constituency devoid of a representative, considering such representative was been elected by people other than the Senate?

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by ceaser: 1:39pm On Apr 01, 2017

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 01, 2017
captainprogress:
Mike win jare, falana just dey jones...

Falana became a full time jonser immediately Chief Gani kicked the bucket.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by sshalom(m): 2:06pm On Apr 01, 2017
Law is both ways!
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by layss: 3:03pm On Apr 01, 2017
Nigeria constitution kept aside by the senathieves. only personal interest is working there
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nten: 3:33pm On Apr 01, 2017
it is a terrible thing that everyday nairaland is being besieged with a vast majority plethora of low intelligence quotient individuals who can't decipher simple issues. falana quoted sections of the constitution and even cited instances of similar case he has handled, while ozekhome was speaking grammar without references to support his arguments. please falana is extremely correct on this. If caution is not applied to the overzealousness of this senators and HOR members in the name of oversight functions ,one day they will start summoning their wife's on oversight functions. Imagine the oscillating bickering of the Senate and comptroller General of customs on just uniform issue!
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Emerituz(m): 5:38pm On Apr 01, 2017
[quote author=freeze001 post=55145117]Does Falana mean that the NASS does not or cannot have an internal disciplinary mechanism applicable to its members? Is that not what the independence of the NASS is about? Is he also going to say the NJC has no power to investigate petitions made on judges and make its pronouncements before further action is taken because they are also subject to the provisions of the Constitution?

The NASS must be and is in fact able to activate an internal investigation and disciplinary mechanism for its members particularly on the conduct of any member as in the case of Ali Ndume.[/ when it comes to offences/allegations that amounts to a crime NJC can not but]
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Emerituz(m): 5:40pm On Apr 01, 2017
[quote author=freeze001 post=55145117]Does Falana mean that the NASS does not or cannot have an internal disciplinary mechanism applicable to its members? Is that not what the independence of the NASS is about? Is he also going to say the NJC has no power to investigate petitions made on judges and make its pronouncements before further action is taken because they are also subject to the provisions of the Constitution?

The NASS must be and is in fact able to activate an internal investigation and disciplinary mechanism for its members particularly on the conduct of any member as in the case of Ali Ndume.[/ the truth is when it comes to offences/allegations that amount to a crime, NJC has no power]
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Kiakia(m): 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2017
freeze001:
Does Falana mean that the NASS does not or cannot have an internal disciplinary mechanism applicable to its members? Is that not what the independence of the NASS is about? Is he also going to say the NJC has no power to investigate petitions made on judges and make its pronouncements before further action is taken because they are also subject to the provisions of the Constitution?

The NASS must be and is in fact able to activate an internal investigation and disciplinary mechanism for its members particularly on the conduct of any member as in the case of Ali Ndume.
Any 'internal mechanism' for disciplining erring members which is inconsistent with the Constitution is to the extent of that inconsistency void and of no effect whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by cptjacksparrow: 6:35pm On Apr 01, 2017
lokobyforch:

Really, u are saying a school principal cannot discipline a school teacher because it was not stated in the appointment letter, we bend nominal Nigerian laws just to suit selfish interest... a police man does not have to wear uniform because he was first a citizen.
are we saying Senate rules is superior to nigerian constitution. When ever the Senate rules contradict the nigerian constitution, the Senate rule will bow b'cos nigerian constitution is superior to any rule or constitution of any group or body in Nigeria. Melaye and 10 others won their case in court against Bankole's house of reps b'cos suspending them means denying the constituencies they represent their participation in national issues the same thing applies in Ali Ndume's case.

2 Likes

Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by cptjacksparrow: 6:47pm On Apr 01, 2017
Nten:
it is a terrible thing that everyday nairaland is being besieged with a vast majority plethora of low intelligence quotient individuals who can't decipher simple issues. falana quoted sections of the constitution and even cited instances of similar case he has handled, while ozekhome was speaking grammar without references to support his arguments. please falana is extremely correct on this. If caution is not applied to the overzealousness of this senators and HOR members in the name of oversight functions ,one day they will start summoning their wife's on oversight functions. Imagine the oscillating bickering of the Senate and comptroller General of customs on just uniform issue!
Good comment, most Nairalanders don't judge based on the constitution, they only support those who share their sentiment.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by vpaymoney(m): 7:01pm On Apr 01, 2017
captainprogress:
Mike win jare, falana just dey jones...
How do you mean sir? SAN sited two examples which he had win the case in the past and you are here saying this? I wonder what Nigeria tomorrow holds with pipu reasoning like you. Smh
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by PeterObi2019(m): 7:10pm On Apr 01, 2017
michoim:
Mike Ozekhome is a PDP lawyer that benefit from the proceeds of corruption. So he can never talk straight.

And Falana is?
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Olumaeme: 7:27pm On Apr 01, 2017
The Senate can summon anybody, even an akara seller to come give testimony, not to talk of itse Sagay who draws money from the government.

During the subsidy probe, many busines men and oil marketeers were summoned, so I don't know where Falana gets his fact from, he has been working rigorously for APC, so am not surprised.

How can you be a custom boss without identifying with your people, you get salary, live in a quarters, fly around the country with customs money but don't want to wear their uniform, Habaaaa make we think am Na.

I also believe that Senate can suspend any of its members caught misbehaving, but in Ndume's case I think he was only trying to draw the attention of the Senate to publications, but if I think about it again, this is not the first publications against the Senate Na, why is he so bothered about this ones, but i still believed he should not have been suspended or probably not up to 6 months.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by blackboy(m): 7:56pm On Apr 01, 2017
They are talking about 2 diff issues. summoning and suspending
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by aribisala0(m): 8:32pm On Apr 01, 2017
Olumaeme:
The Senate can summon anybody, even an akara seller to come give testimony, not to talk of itse Sagay who draws money from the government.

During the subsidy probe, many busines men and oil marketeers were summoned, so I don't know where Falana gets his fact from, he has been working rigorously for APC, so am not surprised.

How can you be a custom boss without identifying with your people, you get salary, live in a quarters, fly around the country with customs money but don't want to wear their uniform, Habaaaa make we think am Na.

I also believe that Senate can suspend any of its members caught misbehaving, but in Ndume's case I think he was only trying to draw the attention of the Senate to publications, but if I think about it again, this is not the first publications against the Senate Na, why is he so bothered about this ones, but i still believed he should not have been suspended or probably not up to 6 months.
You are free to believe what you like it does not change reality. The reality is that Dino Melaye was suspended from the HOR and went to court with Falana as his lawyer and the court gave a ruling which is now the law of the land

I too wonder where YOU get your facts from.Where did Falana say anything about summoning people>? Where exactly. Did he elaborate?

Maybe there is a literacy problem somewhere.People just see threads and start reacting like chemicals..............
Did you bother to read ,comprehend and digest before commenting?
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 01, 2017
hmmmm...
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by ceaser: 9:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
[
dignity33:
The problems with Nigeria is Tribalism and this make me think that Kanu is right, when a yoruba is wrong no Yoruba that will accept that he is likewise hausa, Igbo and others. So the now is why are we still one Nigeria?

Yorubas are the least nepotistic in this country. They don't hesitate call out their own whenever he/she errs, even when the error is committed against people from other tribes. They equally do not spare anyone from other tribes or tongues who errs on the part of carelessness. Theirs is is it right? In all, they put humanity before religion, ethnicity, creed or clan.

This is an incontrovertible fact.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by halibaba(m): 9:17pm On Apr 01, 2017
Mike the aba-made lawyer
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by guiddoti: 10:18pm On Apr 01, 2017
Honestly, lawyer n politician are set of people killing the system.
When you see black, and you call it white.
Re: Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension by LoveJesus87(m): 11:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
President99:
Let Mike tell us the part of the constitutional provisions or subsisting court judgment he relied on to say so ; he should keep his wishful thinking to himself or his stupid logic. What makes Mike a lawyer is still law and not logic. Falana cited constitutional provisions and subsisting high court and appeal court judgments to buttress his stand. Suspending a NASS member is illegal coz he represents a constituency which is part of Nigeria. If a NASS member is suspended, are u telling us that his constituents cant be part of lawmaking in Nigeria? There should be other ways of disciplining erring members!
God gave u brain. Real one bro. Very simple. What others are saying is just so unreadable. Imagine one using d case of principal and school staff to analyze d Ali ndune scenario and senate. Omo na wa o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa / VP Slot: PDP Goes To South West / Tonye Cole Picks Victor Giadom As Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.