Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,585 members, 7,955,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:13 PM

5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew (16981 Views)

3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by erico2k2(m): 9:03pm On Apr 19, 2017
lonelydora:

Take auto and i take manual tranny. I will get to maiduguri before you.
you think? lol thats for Old cars.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by lonelydora: 9:29pm On Apr 19, 2017
erico2k2:

you think? lol thats for Old cars.

Nope. Any car sir. Just that I will consume a little more fuel because of my driving pattern in this case.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by erico2k2(m): 9:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
lonelydora:

Nope. Any car sir. Just that I will consume a little more fuel because of my driving pattern in this case.
I repeat the narrative you gave is of Older cars, the shift ratio of modern cars ar same if not faster than manual cars.
have you triad a manual 4x4?

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by lonelydora: 9:40pm On Apr 19, 2017
erico2k2:

I repeat the narrative you gave is of Older cars, the shift ratio of modern cars ar same if not faster than manual cars.
have you triad a manual 4x4?

I have tried a manual 4×4 but not for a long distance Sir. PH to Aba with many polo police checkpoints. No opportunity to test the speed shaa
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by erico2k2(m): 9:46pm On Apr 19, 2017
lonelydora:

I have tried a manual 4×4 but not for a long distance Sir. PH to Aba with many polo police checkpoints. No opportunity to test the speed shaa
bro trust me in some instance the shift from 0 to 60 in in xyz times is quicker in the Auto, why do you think the FI cars are all Autos?
If you on a modern carthe shift loses no power and are simless
Ask yourself again why do Formula one cars use Auto gear box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256JWOI1KYQ
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by lonelydora: 10:15pm On Apr 19, 2017
erico2k2:

bro trust me in some instance the shift from 0 to 60 in in xyz times is quicker in the Auto, why do you think the FI cars are all Autos?
If you on a modern carthe shift loses no power and are simless
Ask yourself again why do Formula one cars use Auto gear box?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256JWOI1KYQ

The F1 cars i know are manual Bro
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Blanc8(m): 1:57am On Apr 20, 2017
lonelydora:

Errm, actually formula One cars use highly sophisticated semi-automatic, seamless shift gearboxes
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by adanny01(m): 5:47am On Apr 20, 2017
freeman500:
if you love driving, speeding, racing then nothing concerns you with auto. with manual gearbox you are in charge of the vehicle @ all times.

Not true. When you have an underpowered car and you like speed, manual is only better then.

Auto shifts faster than manual plus seamless change losing little power during shift than manual.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 5:59am On Apr 20, 2017
Abaasit4real:
Many of us grew up driving manual vehicles because at one time manual transmissions were more widely available than automatic transmission vehicles, which were introduced to the market several decades after the invention of the automobile. Drivers who are used to manual transmission may instinctively gravitate towards manual transmission vehicles because they are more familiar than automatic transmissions.

Lately, automatic transmission vehicles have quickly become the norm for those learning to drive. Therefore, fewer people now know how to operate the stick shift for a manual transmission vehicle. Research shows 8 out of 10 drivers prefer the automatic transmissions to the manual transmissions. Are there advantages to knowing how to operate a stick shift, or are the skills required for manual transmission becoming less important over time? Here are the few advantages of manual transmission over automatic transmission.

Less expensive to purchase: If you’re car shopping on a budget, then you should consider manual transmission vehicle as it will surely cost less than the automatic transmission of the same model.
Cheaper to maintain: With all the added components into the automatic transmission, running it will surely cost a fortune more than its manual transmission counterpart

It gives the driver full control over the vehicle: Although manual transmission may seem like extra work, it gives the driver the feeling of being in control of the vehicle. In an automatic transmission vehicle, the torque converter pushes the vehicle forward. This is one of the reasons that make the automatic transmission vehicles’ brake less efficient when compared to manual transmission vehicles.

Manual transmission vehicles do not have a torque converter. For this reason, manual transmission drivers are able to use the momentum of the engine to slow the vehicle down and brake more easily.

Manual transmissions also reduce fuel usage: Study shows a manual transmission vehicle when placed under the same driving conditions with a similar automatic transmission vehicle can consume 5-15% less fuel. Hence, when a manual transmission vehicle is operated efficiently, the driver will save more money on fuel.

More Secured: With the increasing number of automatic transmission vehicles making it to our roads, there’s an entire generation that has never learnt the finer points of manual transmission operation. This means that should a car-thief decide to give your car a closer inspection in preparation for stealing it, there’s a fairly good chance that simply having a manual transmission will be enough to deter the criminal.

Source: http://360techinfo.com/2017/04/18/advantages-of-manual-transmission-vehicles-over-automatic-transmission-vehicles/

cc: Marpol, mynd44, lalasticlala

Lifted straight from http://www.rosevillechryslerjeep.net/advantages-of-automatic-manual-transmission.htm

You guys should fear God a little.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by adanny01(m): 6:01am On Apr 20, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

The article clearly stated this reason for the difference:

Manual transmission vehicles do not have a torque converter. For this reason, manual transmission drivers are able to use the momentum of the engine to slow the vehicle down and brake more easily.

If it is engine braking you are referring to, it's also available in auto. Older cars may not be efficient in engine brKing but newer cars are even more effective than the manual. Once you hit a down slope, and hit the brakes. The gear automatically downshifts giving you more engine braking and will keep downshifting appropriately while deccelarating.

While on cruise control, auto does engine braking far better than manual since manual cannot shift itself.

Torque converter in auto does not stop autos from engine braking.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by adanny01(m): 6:10am On Apr 20, 2017
greenhulk:

U have to shift down to use engine braking to slow vehicle down. The same thing is possible with automatics, all u have to do is shift down.

In fact in auto you don't need to manually shift down, it does once you touch brakes especially going downhill.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by lonelydora: 6:49am On Apr 20, 2017
Blanc8:

Errm, actually formula One cars use highly sophisticated semi-automatic, seamless shift gearboxes

Semi-automatic, I agree but not full automatic.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:18am On Apr 20, 2017
Blanc8:

there sequential gearbox

with sequential gearbox you can not skip gears

the difference with formula one and ordinary sequential is changing via electric shift paddle on the steering wheel whereas normal sequential you shift by hand just like manual car
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Marpol: 7:29am On Apr 20, 2017
lonelydora:

Gearbox

Changing gears in a Formula One car is very much a fingertip exercise - drivers simply flick a paddle behind the steering wheel to change sequentially up or down.

Formula One cars use highly sophisticated semi-automatic, seamless shift gearboxes. Aside from when pulling away, the driver is not required to manually operate the clutch, nor is he required to lift off the accelerator when changing up through the gears. Instead, when another gear is selected the shift is completed ‘seamlessly’ (via a clever a system which uses two shift barrels), meaning the driver suffers from no loss of drive. As such, gear changes are not only significantly faster than they were with the traditional gear lever and clutch pedal approach (taking a matter of milliseconds), but the driver can also keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times.

But despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill.

Gearboxes, which are electronically controlled with hydraulic activation, attach to the back of the internal combustion engine. But they do more than simply transfer the torque from power unit to wheels - they also form part of the structure of the rear of the car, with the rear suspension bolting directly onto what is usually a high-strength carbon maincase.

The rules stipulate that F1 gearboxes must consist of eight forward gears (the ratios having been selected ahead of the season) plus reverse, and although this may seem like a large number compared to a road car, it allows the teams to use the same transmission at low-speed Monaco as at high-speed Monza.

As with power units, the teams are restricted in the number of gearboxes they can use per season, with the rules mandating that a single gearbox must be used for six consecutive events. Every unscheduled gearbox change results in a five-place grid penalty.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by erico2k2(m): 8:05am On Apr 20, 2017
lonelydora:

Are U Buzzing bro? . Which one ? And driven by who?
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 20, 2017
lonelydora:

Not manual either like u manual freaks think. I keep saying there's no speed a manual can do that autos can't do. Why do majority of supercars have automatic transmission? Why not include clutch and shifter since it is the best for racers?
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Ken4agent(m): 7:56pm On Apr 20, 2017
Am new in driving Auto, can a "team Auto" in this forum explain the usefulness of D2, D3, D4 when driving auto.....maybe helping someone
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 20, 2017
Ken4agent:
Am new in driving Auto, can a "team Auto" in this forum explain the usefulness of D2, D3, D4 when driving auto.....maybe helping someone

D2 means the gear will not shift past gear 2, D3 means it won't shift past gear 3 etc. Just in manual. So let's say u are driving manual and going down the slope on gear 5 and I want to down shift to gear 2 for engine braking, u can also do that with manual by shifting to d2. U don't need to match the brake to shift from D to d1 or d2 etc. And if I are on gear 5 and want to down shift to a lower hear u can ways use the shift in automatic to do it.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Ken4agent(m): 11:18pm On Apr 20, 2017
greenhulk:

D2 means the gear will not shift past gear 2, D3 means it won't shift past gear 3 etc. Just in manual. So let's say u are driving manual and going down the slope on gear 5 and I want to down shift to gear 2 for engine braking, u can also do that with manual by shifting to d2. U don't need to match the brake to shift from D to d1 or d2 etc. And if I are on gear 5 and want to down shift to a lower hear u can ways use the shift in automatic to do it.

I appreciate your response Bro, but if I get you right. It means while on motion maybe when approaching a bad road u can just down shift the gear from maybe D4 to D2 or D3?

am my right?

Also, do you think Driving constantly with D4 (I.e both on high speed and very slow motion) has any negative effect on the gear, engine or fuel consumption?

regards
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 20, 2017
Dollypie20:
If u can drive manual, u can move any car
Automatic can't be pushed to work unlike maual is fun,P
its like saying you prefer your car to drive you not you driving the car,just saying though maybe this another of driving.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by adanny01(m): 2:09am On Apr 21, 2017
SAVEDBABA:
its like saying you prefer your car to drive you not you driving the car,just saying though maybe this another of driving.

How can a car drive it's driver, does that make sense to you?

However, it is true that the car changes the gear intelligently on my behalf with no input from me except for me using the accelerator.

Let me tell you where autos become better. While auto changes gear in milliseconds, a very experienced driver on a manual car will use more time to do the same action a computer/machine will do it. Secondly, the act of clutching means you will lose all form of torque while during change of gear with a manual but with auto, you don't lose all the torque which is a seamless transfer of gears. An auto will gain milliseconds a manual will lose during change.

Putting the 2 factors together becomes so much loss of speed that the auto gains an advantage that's why Racing cars have since left the fully manual option adopting a semi automatic trans which combines best of both worlds. Technically, a car with adjustable d1, d2 through D4 or 5 can still be semi automatic.

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Dollypie20(f): 7:23am On Apr 21, 2017
SAVEDBABA:
If that's ur own point of view, that means you're lazy. A woman shouldn't even reason like that. Don't be lazy brother. Even if u won't drive manual, it's good to know how smiley

1 Like

Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 21, 2017
Ken4agent:

I appreciate your response Bro, but if I get you right. It means while on motion maybe when approaching a bad road u can just down shift the gear from maybe D4 to D2 or D3?

am my right?

Also, do you think Driving constantly with D4 (I.e both on high speed and very slow motion) has any negative effect on the gear, engine or fuel consumption?

regards

Yes downshifting from d4 to d2 when approaching bad road does not have any effect on the engine. It is just the same thing as manual where u can downshifting from gear 4 or 5 to 3 or 2. Rather it has an advantage as it engine braking which would make ur brake pads last longer.

DR is for normal driving where the computer takes care of the shifting for u. It is the normal way automatics should be driven. Fuel consumption depends on ur pattern of driving, whether u are a heavy footer or a gentle one. When climbing a slope and ur engine is loosing power and the computer is not downshifting for u, u can just downshift to d1 and ur gear will remain in gear 1 for easy climbing.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by erico2k2(m): 2:27pm On Apr 21, 2017
greenhulk:

Yes downshifting from d4 to d2 when approaching bad road does not have any effect on the engine. It is just the same thing as manual where u can downshifting from gear 4 or 5 to 3 or 2. Rather it has an advantage as it engine braking which would make uri brake pads last longer.

DR is for normal driving where the computer takes care of the shifting for u. It is the normal way automatics should be driven. Fuel consumption depends on ur pattern of driving, whether u are a heavy footer or a gentle one. When climbing a slope and ur engine is loosing power and the computer is not downshifting for u, u can just downshift to d1 and ur gear will remain in gear 1 for easy climbing.
You assumptions are wrong . When down shifting gin the Auto gears it's automatic ie dame speed every time same time but manual depends on how long it takes you to change gears mo depress and move you feet to n fro clutch pedal . That space and difference in time in you moving you feet amd gear Knob is not constant . Auto is constant .
Engine breaking is also done in Auto . Even beter downslope once U apply brake the car detects the speed and that kicks in.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 21, 2017
erico2k2:

You assumptions are wrong . When down shifting gin the Auto gears it's automatic ie dame speed every time same time but manual depends on how long it takes you to change gears mo depress and move you feet to n fro clutch pedal . That space and difference in time in you moving you feet amd gear Knob is not constant . Auto is constant .
Engine breaking is also done in Auto . Even beter downslope once U apply brake the car detects the speed and that kicks in.

Ummm. I don't understand what u just typed. What do u mean same speed every time? So u mean when I downshift auto let's say to d2 my speed will be constant? Pls explain.
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Ken4agent(m): 11:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
greenhulk:

Yes downshifting from d4 to d2 when approaching bad road does not have any effect on the engine. It is just the same thing as manual where u can downshifting from gear 4 or 5 to 3 or 2. Rather it has an advantage as it engine braking which would make ur brake pads last longer.

Thanks a lot Bro
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 22, 2017
Dollypie20:

If that's ur own point of view, that means you're lazy. A woman shouldn't even reason like that. Don't be lazy brother. Even if u won't drive manual, it's good to know how smiley
You are too beatiful to be driving a manuel....let me get you an automatic Royce....*winks*
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Nobody: 12:05am On Apr 22, 2017
adanny01:

How can a car drive it's driver, does that make sense to you?
ma bro,read what she wrote,how can she think of pushing her car to work?why is it a car?she should have bought wheel barrow......my one cent(i dont even have half cent but i just gave one)
Re: 5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew by Autoconnoisseur: 1:48pm On May 21, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - A Diary (Now With Pictures). / How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.