Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,382 members, 7,815,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run (81385 Views)

2019: What If Atiku Wins And Buhari Fails To Concede? / 6 Top Contenders For PDP’s Ticket For 2019 Presidential Election (Photos) / Who Are The Serious Contenders In 2019 If Buhari Doesn't Run? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 05, 2017
realhumanity:

I believe you underestimate these people in the north. As you have known, pdp and APC have somehow zoned the hot seat to the north, that means whosoever wish to be president in the north can contest. The northerners no matter their power play will field a person with southern appeal.

All I am saying is this, I careless who they will field but the south doesn't have a chance in both parties come 2019.

Just take it that I said it.

The north has always been content with a westerner in power. It is the east, they have a problem with.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by kmaxx(m): 8:23pm On May 05, 2017
maclatunji:
President Buhari is about to complete his first 2 years in office as an elected civilian president of Nigeria and the 2 major issues in the polity presently in Nigeria are; his current state of health begging the question on whether he is fit to continue in office and perhaps more importantly if he will run for reelection in 2019.

This article takes a look at the major contenders for his position should he not run for reelection in 2019. It is safe to say that in any election cycle in Nigeria; about 50 individuals have at least a remotely objective chance of being president. However, some contenders have more clout than others. The following 10 are the ones with the most clout in my opinion in no particular order.

3. Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives and Current Governor of Lagos State.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by legitnow: 8:23pm On May 05, 2017
omohayek:

I think you have it right. They are insistent on having "their" turn, but the problem I see is that their best-qualified politicians are either out of the running (Sanusi is now Emir of Kano) or have disqualified themselves as bigots in the view of many (El-Rufai). The last thing Nigeria needs is a looter like Atiku or another incompetent in the Buhari mold, but sadly one of the two is what the country is likely to get ...

The last thing Nigeria needs is Afonja thieves like Tinubu or his PUPPET.

Tinubu and OBJ are bad news, they will finish the country off from where they stopped relunctantly in 2007.

Between Tinubu and OBJ billions of dollars were stolen and taken out of Nigeria.

National asset taken over without paying their market worth.

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Amarabae(f): 8:26pm On May 05, 2017
TheCabal:

The north has always been content with a westerner in power. It is the east, they have a problem with.

GEJ's candidacy was opposed in the beginning yes, that was Turai Yar'adua doing not the north. As soon as it was obvious that GEJ can guarantee a steady flow of oil revenue. The matter was settled , immediately. He would have had a second term but he made the biggest mistake of presenting himself as the South East's best friend. And, once the Boko haram issue spiralled out of control and he was fingered several times for not showing concern in the issue. It was obvious, who would not rule.

Once you make to many friends in the east and not find a balance in the north and west you become politically impotent. The east does not have the numbers or influence nor has it at any time provided funding for presidential election, it also does not have any prominent politicians. Chuba Okadibo was the last. Okadigbo was a close friend of Buhari , infact he was fingered for a VP position until his demise.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by omohayek: 8:26pm On May 05, 2017
legitnow:

The last thing Nigeria needs is Afonja thieves like Tinubu or his PUPPET.

Tinubu and OBJ are bad news, they will finish the country off from where they stopped relunctantly in 2007.

Between Tinubu and OBJ billions of dollars were stolen and taken out of Nigeria.
Oh piss off, troll, and leave the adults alone so they can have a reasonable discussion. No one needs a brain-damaged idiot whose vocabulary is limited to screaming "Afonja Afonja Afonja" all day. Go seek help for the Afonja Derangement Syndrome that's troubling you!

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 05, 2017
Chai. Southern fools. See how this op lined up northerners to rule over him. Na wao. I spit for Yoruba slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by FlyoruB: 8:27pm On May 05, 2017
omohayek:

I think you have it right. They are insistent on having "their" turn, but the problem I see is that their best-qualified politicians are either out of the running (Sanusi is now Emir of Kano) or have disqualified themselves as bigots in the view of many (El-Rufai). The last thing Nigeria needs is a looter like Atiku or another incompetent in the Buhari mold, but sadly one of the two is what the country is likely to get ...
My Egbon, you are correct. Left to me, Osinbajo is most qualified to succeed PMB coz I personally feel he's so far demonstrated that he's competent enough to make a great president, but honestly they won't let it fly o. Not in this Naija. Let's not kid ourselves bros.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by basadenet: 8:27pm On May 05, 2017
This kind of story should not have been allowed to feature here at all because it is misleading and inciting.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 05, 2017
Amarabae:
are you trying to tell us that South west hated Jonathan because he was friendly to the south east?
what do you mean that the north have problem with south east?
Why do you SW guys love to play tribalistic self centered politics?

I am telling you, Jonathan's read his obituary when he became to close to the South East and failed to make the north feel among. He had a chance with Boko-Haram. A decisive and swift action, not different from what Buhari is doing now, could have given him a fighting chance. It only made Buhari stronger.

The south west did what it has always know to do best. "The political move". Politics has nothing to do with how you feel. Emotion is for the voters not the voted.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by legitnow: 8:28pm On May 05, 2017
omohayek:

Oh piss off, troll, and leave the adults alone so they can have a reasonable discussion. No one needs a brain-damaged idiot whose vocabulary is limited to screaming "Afonja Afonja Afonja" all day. Go seek help for the Afonja Derangement Syndrome that's troubling you!

Childish tantrum of a sore loser...

Buhari will not die, he will live to serve out his tenure and 2019 insha allah the North will continue and thereafter, the south east will take over.

Yoruba can wait till 2050.

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 05, 2017
The lesson from this government is clear- northerners have nothing to offer us in leadership. Yet an idioot yoruba op lined up half literate northerners to rule again. Ha. Na wao. Yorubas lick illetrste aboki ass and form sophisticated for southerners. Yaribas are Nigeria's greatest problem. God help us.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by ipobarecriminals: 8:31pm On May 05, 2017
undecided embarassed grin angry sad shocked all in their 70s and mostly THIEVES. We want 45/50 yrs old not one babacracy gov.No Igbos peep among them grin sad shocked mbah!
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 05, 2017
TheCabal:

I said it before and I will say it again. "the north sleeps well when the west rules" but it will never sleep if the South East or any well known friend to the South East goes even an inch close to the presidency , the reason's are obvious and the present call for Biafra from the South East has made it so much so that several other ethnic groups would rather they never do.

@TonyeBarcanista claims that Osinbajo is not the favored candidate for 2019, however he has provided no facts. Let me start buy reminding you that the north supported Obasanjo twice for the presidency and Jonathan once (Jonathan fell out of their graces when it was evident, he favored the east more than the west and north and his lackadaisical attitude towards insurgency in Borno state)

PDP ticket will go to the north because they need it for votes. APC ticket will go to whomever will guarantee , stability after the presidential election has been won by the APC. APC has Buhari, so the idea of bringing a northern candidate would be stupidity when all Buhari as to do, is raise your hand in a crowd and say "namu ne". He can do this for anyone and they would win, this has been proven by the victory so many candidate won in the north simply because of Buhari. You need Buhari support to win 2019, not a northern candidate

V.P Osinbajo is the most favorite member of the APC at the moment after Buhari. Tinubu recently received accolades for states as far as Borno.
Lagos alone can provide funding for the entire 2019 presidential election and Lagos is Tinubu domain.

Osinbajo was placed as the acting president of the country for 50 + days and he performed excellently , he received accolades for several notable Nigerian's and has also been identified as the reason Nigeria's oil production numbers have risen.

Buhari has praised Osinbajo several times for his performance. He has given him various important roles in which his leadership skills have been displayed. As the V.P Osinbajo is the natural successor to Buhari - this is political tradition in Nigeria, and it is not about to change.

It is very unlikely that Buhari would annoint a candidate other than Osinbajo, even though he has done so several times indirectly. The recent would be Osinbajo attendace of Pres. Buhari P.A wedding several governors and traditional leaders from the north where in attendance. We all know wedding have always been an avenue for political meetings , introductions and affirmations. Osinbajo has made friends in areas where it matters - the North for the votes and the Niger-Delta for the oil.

@TonyeBarcanista need to tell us how Osinbajo would not emerge the Presidential candidate for 2019. Let us not forget, he is also married to Pa. Awolowo's grand daughter. This is a natural succession. PDP does not stand a chance.

You don't know what you're saying, how can you say Jonathan favoured the east more than the north when it's obvious he build more infrastructure in the north, played along with them just to win their hrt..

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by realhumanity: 8:32pm On May 05, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Read what I wrote...

I'm talking of winning APC candidacy...

And, the determinant for Kano votes largely depends on the disposition of Muhammadu Buhari. If Buhari doesn't support Kwankwaso, he is OYO in Kano just as he was in 2003.

I love Kwankwasiyyaa but Buhari command the votes in Kano...

Tonye, in 2003, Buhari had that power over Kwankwaso but in 2017, with the development he brought to his people and the kwankwasiyya buildings everywhere, this man has cult followership in kano, I am telling you. This man has no rival when it comes to politics in kano except the emirates, abacha family, tahir and some other elite families in kano of which he is their pal.

Even Ganduje trying to mush up support had to go build court road also known as okorocha road to get the igbos to love him for his rerun in 2019.

When it comes to support base, he has support to as far as the north east. They even have kwankwasiyya meetings on his behalf. Don't underestimate his power, the power brokers are trying to sideline baba in case he becomes anti-north 2019.

This Buhari that they might not support come 2019, you are giving much power to.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by chloride6: 8:32pm On May 05, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Winning party nomination is about structure, influence and power bloc. Yemi Osinbajo has no such, Tinubu structure is largely in SW and the main power bloc controlled by the northern group within APC have even raised parallel structure in same SW to counter him... This was largely seen in Ondo state.

Politics is 30% competence and 70% structure. You need the structure to be in the ballot and to get people mobilise for votes. Otherwise, you are on a long thing. Jonathan was lucky because Obj used his contacts within PDP then to cut a deal with northern governors in 2011, but he rescinded and we saw what happened in 2015. The northern guys won't play same game again...

So wait APC will present another Northerner to do 8 years making 12 years? Lia Lia
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Amarabae(f): 8:32pm On May 05, 2017
TheCabal:

I am telling you, Jonathan's read his obituary when he became to close to the South East and failed to make the north feel among. He had a chance with Boko-Haram. A decisive and swift action, not different from what Buhari is doing now, could have given him a fighting chance. It only made Buhari stronger.

The south west did what it has always know to do best. "The political move".
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 05, 2017
basadenet:
This kind of story should not have been allowed to feature here at all because it is misleading and inciting.

My brother. You are very correct. Those listed polithiefcians will start scheming to contest. Yorubas have for ages been using their media to incite. God help us.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 05, 2017
udemzy101:

You don't know what you're saying when you saying, how can you say Jonathan favoured the east more than the north when it's obvious he build more infrastructure on the north, played along with them just to win their hrt..

Bullshit...

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by AlphaT1(m): 8:35pm On May 05, 2017
[quote author=TonyeBarcanista post=56243475]
Fat Lie!

The north never supported Obasanjo TWICE, they only supported him ONCE and that was when he contested against his fellow Yorubaman, Olu Falae in 1999 who ran under APP-AD joint platform.

In 2003 the north supported Muhammadu Buhari of APP. Buhari won the NW and NE but lost the NC and other regions. He garnered 12 million votes.

In 2007 it was all northern affair in all parties, as PDP, ANPP, AC and DPP all fielded northern candidates, that is Yaradua, Buhari, Atiku and Bafarawa. As such the northern votes splitted between Yaradua and Buhari.

In 2011, Jonathan only won Taraba (Buhari has never won here) and Adamawa in the Northeast and Northwest. Buhari cleared the rest... But as usual, lost NC and other parts of the country.

In 2015, the NC and SW that have always voted against Buhari voted for him in protest against Jonathan... He won... But as usual the Northeast and Northwest voted for Buhari.

The point is that the north (NE and NW) has NEVER voted for ANY southern candidate against their own since 1979 save 1993 when the elite still annulled the election.

Let us not tribalise it nor play on anybody's intelligence.

As for PYO, we all know who call the shots in the Presidency and PYO is not among the group.

MODIFIED
After reading your updated post, I only realise that you got no clue about the intrigues, power play and politics within a political party. no need to waste time with you...

Adieu[/quote
Just speaking English without figures.. Take a look at some of 2003 presidential election results:
Kaduna
ANPP (Buhari) 870, 454 (45.4%)
PDP (Obasanjo) 1,025,347 (53.4%)
Taraba
ANPP 198,023 (21.9%)
PDP. 694,527 (76.6%)
Adamawa
ANPP 285,151
PDP. 660,780
Gombe
ANPP 516,081 (52.9%)
PDP. 452,328 (46.3%)
Your
ANPP 383,583
PDP. 206,984
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by realhumanity: 8:35pm On May 05, 2017
TheCabal:

The north care less about any tribe this time apart from the core north. Even a candidate from Jos will not go close to presidency, I mean a Tiv sef. A core northerner will fight for the position with another core northerner.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 05, 2017
TheCabal:

Bullshit...
Yeah.. That's what you post, arguing what you know nothing about
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by MDGsVISIBLE: 8:36pm On May 05, 2017
No Northerners Candidate is capable & reliable for Presidency in Nigeria again. 2019 is all about SOUTH or Restructuring.
Arise O Compatriots!
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Praktikals(m): 8:38pm On May 05, 2017
legitnow:

wen it comes to the South, it should go to the East.
Igbo presidency? Bros the tramadol you are taking is original o shocked
legitnow:

wen it comes to the South, it should go to the East.
Igbo presidency? Bros the tramadol you are taking is original o

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by omohayek: 8:39pm On May 05, 2017
legitnow:

Childish tantrum of a sore loser...

Buhari will not die, he will live to serve out his tenure and 2019 insha allah the North will continue and thereafter, the south east will take over.

Yoruba can wait till 2050.
If politics were only a matter of simply throwing stupid insults at strangers online, then you and your ilk would be "winners" anywhere other than in your feverish imaginations, but luckily that isn't the case - and it never will be either. And what is it with your Yoruba obsession, anyway? Did a Yoruba nurse drop you on the head as a baby or something? Did a Yoruba man steal your girlfriend? Seriously, you need to seek out psychiatric help.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Amarabae(f): 8:39pm On May 05, 2017
udemzy101:

Yeah.. That's what you post, arguing what you know nothing about
ignore the ignorant guy. Let them keep deceiving themselves.
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by bayelsaowei(m): 8:39pm On May 05, 2017
crackerspub:
useless country
very useless I must say. .

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Vindyk(m): 8:40pm On May 05, 2017
nice list shaaa but to me i see my self in another country hving one of d listed jaguda as my neighbouring country ruler thanks
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Reals(m): 8:41pm On May 05, 2017
the president of this country is yet to be found in that list except for Yemi Osibanjo, the rest should back of and enjoy their already loot with their grandchildren instead of using it to promote voilence in the name of politics.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 05, 2017
Amarabae:
so the south west love for Buhari was for selfish interest and hate for Igbos?
The truth is coming out!

The south-west wether you like it or not, can play this game. The north however are the phd holders.

Would you rather ally with weaker force or stronger one

Stop thinking with your emotion.

I suggest you read,
Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince. ( the consolidation of power)
Sun Tzu - Art of War. (the acquisition of power)

You can look at Robert Greene' 24 laws of power (but every tom dick and harry reads that)

Politics is like war. The sole objective is the security of the state (candidate emergence as victor).

To win you need money and technology(strategy,information.et.c). Right now the west has both and Tinubu has the key.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by kizyalex10(m): 8:42pm On May 05, 2017
Nawao d way igbo's re marginalised eh?its shocking.hw can u mention up to 10 presidential potential canndidate without any igbo man,meaning igbo's re nt even considered a possibility to govern Nigeria.nawao
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Rilwayne001: 8:44pm On May 05, 2017
maclatunji:

3. Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives and Current Governor of Lagos State, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal is a relatively young smart and articulate leader with connections all over Nigeria. d44

shocked shocked sad
Re: Top 10 Contenders For The Presidency In 2019 If President Buhari Fails To Run by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 05, 2017
realhumanity:

The north care less about any tribe this time apart from the core north. Even a candidate from Jos will not go close to presidency, I mean a Tiv sef. A core northerner will fight for the position with another core northerner.

Missing the point again. Stop thinking with your emotion.

Always ask, what can each party contribute to the table.

And their are two issue here. First winning the election, and secondly consolidation of power after inauguration.

Can a TIV man, do this ?

See D. Trump. He won the election, but consolidation of power remains an issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Real Reason Governor Obaseki Was Disqualified - Sahara Reporters / Court sentences Orji Kalu to 12 years in Jail, FG to take over SLOK / Who Is This Senator And Why Is He Angry (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.