Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama (3034 Views)

Think Twice Before You Throw A Birthday Party For Your Girlfriend / Lagos Man Searches For A Light-Skinned Lady He Met In A Bus Yesterday / He Met Me In My Mom's Shop 10 Years Ago,Now This Is Happening; Lady Reveals.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Orina(m): 11:05pm On May 05, 2017
The woman who Barack Obama proposed to – twice - before he met Michelle was seen quietly getting on with academic life this week after revelations about their relationship emerged in a new presidential biography.

Sheila Miyoshi Jager, 53, appeared in good spirits as she walked with a female friend on the campus of liberal arts Oberlin College where she is a professor of East Asian studies.

Jager revealed she was the former president’s first love in Rising Star: The Making of Barack Obama by Pulitzer prize-winning biographer David J. Garrow.

She shared secrets of their relationship including that she continued to see Obama on and off for at least a year after he met the First Lady.

‘I always felt bad about it,’ Jager told Garrow.
Her husband, Jiyul Kim, said that his wife did not wish to speak about the book when contacted by DailyMail.com at their home.

Jager, who is of Dutch and Japanese descent, received her Ph.D in anthropology from the University of Chicago, where she was studying in the mid '80's when she met Barack Obama, then a community organizer.

The couple dated for a couple of years and met each other’s families before splitting up.

Yet Jager was almost entirely omitted from Obama's own biography, Dreams of My Father, where she was simply combined with his other white exes into one character.

According to Rising Star she played a huge role in Obama's formative years. So much so that even after Barack met his wife-to-be Michelle, he kept seeing Jager on and off for at least a year, the book claims.

The couple were very much in love in the late-1980s when they were living together in Chicago, according to Jager, who described them as being 'an island unto ourselves.'
They even had a cat together named Max.

Their relationship quickly progressed and in the winter of 1986, while visiting Sheila's parents, Barack popped the question, Jager told Garrow.

But Jager's parents were concerned that she was too young - Jager was 23 and Obama was 25 - and she had to turn down his proposal.

They remained together, and Jager began to realize her then-boyfriend's 'deep-seated need to be loved and admired.'

Jager told Garrow that Obama became 'so very ambitious very suddenly.'

'I remember very clearly when this transformation happened, and I remember very specifically that by 1987, about a year into our relationship, he already had his sights on becoming president.'

But Obama believed he needed to 'fully identify as African American' to fulfill his political ambitions - and believed that having a non-black spouse could damage his prospects, according to the book.

This reportedly put pressure on Obama's relationship with Jager who is of Dutch and Japanese heritage.
By the time he was getting set to leave for Harvard Law School, their relationship was rocky.

But Obama was not ready to give up on Jager, and proposed to her for a second time - asking her to join him in Harvard.

Again Jager turned him down.

She believed that his proposal was 'out of a sense of desperation over our eventual parting and not in any real faith in our future.'

According to Garrow, Obama made emotional judgments on political grounds. A close mutual friend of the couple recalls Obama being concerned about running for president with a white wife.

Friends recall a summer weekend trip to Madison, Wisconsin around this time when there was 'unusual tension' between the couple.

Related one of their friends: 'it's the summer...these houses are old. You'd die if you closed the windows.

'They went back and forth, having sex, screaming yelling, having sex, screaming yelling.'

Sheila could be heard yelling: 'That's wrong! That's wrong! That's not a reason.'

Obama cared for her, Garrow writes, 'yet he felt trapped between the woman he loved and the destiny he knew was his.'

'Barack's political destiny meant that he and Sheila could not have a long-tern future together, no matter how deeply they loved each other.'

But she refused to accept his rationale, writes the author, the fact that it was ultimately her race that would prevent them from being together.

In the days before Barack left Chiacgo for Harvard the couple joined friends Jerry and Kellman for a farewell dinner. They had a question for their friends.

'Could you please keep the cat?,' they asked.

The Kellmans agreed to give Max a home, Sheila explaining to the author, 'Barack was not sad to give Max away.'

The book claims that Barack kept on seeing Jager for the first year he was dating Michelle - in the 1990-91 academic year- but said it stopped after the couple married in 1992.
It is also possible that Obama cheated on Jager with an Hispanic single mother of three he had met through his work as a 'community organizer'.Garrow says that Mary Ellen 'Lena' Montes became an 'intimate friend'.

She was a divorced young mother who had become a prominent activist in Chicago.

In the August after Obama first moved to Chicago, Jager visited her family and he spent time with Lena.

'Obama would remember some intense making-out,' Garrow writes, 'while Lena explained: 'I'm a passionate person.''

After he moved in with Jager, Lena had the impression that it was 'because of convenience'.

Indeed, her existence may have precipitated his split from Jager, as Garrow recalls how after an argument, she found Obama's journal under his bed and looked through it.

She was upset about 'someone' in the journal, Lena recalled later - although Lena did not know if she was the person Jager was upset about.

'I just remember him saying that she was leaving... because of this journal,' Lena said.
Regardless of whether he was faithful to Jager, Obama went to law school then met Michelle. The couple quickly fell for each other and began dating.

But Garrow claims that Jager and Barack continued to see each other on and off after she arrived at Harvard for a teaching fellowship. Garrow describes Obamas as having 'two powerful, overlapping relationships'.

'I always felt bad about it,' Jager said.

After Barack and Michelle married in 1992, Jager says that they stopped seeing each other and their contact was limited to the odd letter or phone call.

Sheila had met a 33-year-old Korean-American graduate student and U.S. Army office Jiyul Kim from Boston.

'Sheila's relationship with Jiyul quickly began to blossom just as Barack's final weeks of law school approached,' Garrow writes.
Sheila told the author, 'As much as I loved him [Barack] I was relieved when our paths finally parted.'

She added, 'I traveled to some really dark places during that period of my life.'

Jager is a sought-after expert on the Korean peninsula and has written a number of books on the subject.

The professor has lived quietly in the pretty college town of Oberlin, Ohio for the past 20 years.

She is married to retired Army veteran, Col. Jiyul Kim, who is also a professor at Oberlin specializing in military history in East Asia and U.S. foreign policy.

Kim, 59, served in the U.S. Army for three decades and was on duty at the Pentagon during 9/11.

The couple have three children. Their eldest son, Isaac, 23, graduated from West Point military academy last year, according to social media, while their daughter, Hannah, 21, attends Oberlin College.

The Obamas have not publicly responded to the claims in the book.

Source: http://www.thepostexpress.com/2017/05/the-woman-obama-proposed-to-twice.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Shelloween(m): 11:07pm On May 05, 2017
I guess nobody knows tommorrow. If she had known how the future would turn out, she wouldn't have turned Obama down. But then, was it really her fault? No! I blame destiny. Destiny can be a bastard sometimes. If she had said yes, Obama might've never become President. Destiny, they say, has it's ways. Destiny, I say, is a bastard.

P.S. Is it just me or did this story touch anyone?

10 Likes

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by EmperorLee(m): 11:11pm On May 05, 2017
And this is our business how ?

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by ise82(m): 11:11pm On May 05, 2017
She missed a great guy. Good for her!
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by decatalyst(m): 11:12pm On May 05, 2017
Slay queens and pepper dem ladies should take a seat and read.

"i remember very clearly when this transformation happened, and I remember very specifically that by 1987, about a year into our relationship, he already had his sights on becoming president."

The man knew what he had and what he wanted in life, the lady knew bit was so naive to journey with him.

Most of our so called slay queens are even blind to see a light not to talk of a bright future undecided

Ladies out there, stop this attitude of going for 'made men', stop making your self an 'object' that could be priced and purchased.

A word is enough...

4 Likes

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by CoolFreeday(m): 11:12pm On May 05, 2017
ok
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 05, 2017
Daaamn Obama was really good looking grin

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 05, 2017
she feel say D guy no fit make am...SlayQueen

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Orina(m): 11:17pm On May 05, 2017
lalasticalala
Help move it sir
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by noblealuu: 11:18pm On May 05, 2017
Jah
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by wahles(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2017
Ifyu af ear, hear grin
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by decatalyst(m): 11:20pm On May 05, 2017
EmperorLee:
And this is our business how ?

To sit and read comments undecided

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by optional1(f): 11:22pm On May 05, 2017
wow

lesson: dating someone now doesn't mean you guys will get married and live happy ever after...
She is happy now and obama is also happy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by EmperorLee(m): 11:25pm On May 05, 2017
decatalyst:

To sit a read comments undecided

Taleleyi bayi undecided
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by AlexCk: 11:32pm On May 05, 2017
Moral of the day is:

Shiit happens,

Everyone in ur life actually shapes who u become tomorrow/or in the future. Choose wisely.

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by GloriaNinja(f): 11:50pm On May 05, 2017
undecided FATE IS WICKED THO, WHAT WILL BE, WILL SURELY BE.
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by wristbangle: 11:50pm On May 05, 2017
This is a lesson to instagram and nairaland slay queens who look down on guys whom are temporarily broke at the moment.

You rather go for made men and end up as frustrated baby mamas.

Someone with good intention is sending mail, humbly request to seek your hand yet you screen men like Exxon Mobil recruitment base on their riches because you are too myopic about life and the certainty of the future.

Take your time and read this story slowly. If you can't pick something tangible from it, you will forever remain a starved hungry lady.

Once bitten, twice shy!

Though she is equally happily married as well to a focused man but can it be ever be compared to how lucky Michelle is today? It would have been worse if she had married a man without ambition. Despite this consolation prize on her path, she remains pained and regretting bitterly that obama never referenced her in his book.

Good morning lalasticlala. This story deserves more audience and should be a lesson to impulsive and hard hearted gold diggers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Frolic: 12:17am On May 06, 2017
The biography wouldn't be wirth it if it weren't talking about Obama tho. Food for thought.
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by LethargiQue: 12:18am On May 06, 2017
grin grin
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by taofeek11(m): 12:24am On May 06, 2017
If Obama was homeless, I wonder if dis her article will be written abt him
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by BlackDBagba: 2:27am On May 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by coolzeal(m): 3:13am On May 06, 2017
Sheila Miyoshi Jager look good at 53... Damn!

I wonder what she was thinking for the past 8 years, Obama ruled as president of USA.
Well, thanks to Barack Obama we now know who Sheila Miyoshi Jager is.
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Xano(m): 3:34am On May 06, 2017
Hmmm...Mr Obama never gave up his dream.
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by ChiefSweetus: 5:19am On May 06, 2017
God bless Barack for omitting the nonentity from his book. Bïtches salty af when you dont give em the relevance they crave, despite curving you. If you wanted to be in the book, you should've loved him and stayed in his life... cant eat your cake and have it hoe. Barack became president and you became some ghost hoe nobody cares about. Deal with it. grin

2 Likes

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by ChiefSweetus: 5:28am On May 06, 2017
Lol the smelly Caucasian hoe even tried to spoil michelles mind against brack 30yrs later. Talmbout "we still saw off and on after he started dating his wife."

Loool bïtch if you dont!!!!

Better swallow the unchangable reality that you rejected your husband's future BOSS, and now you're upset he wont acknowledge your booty sharing days because fûck you, the pum wasnt even that good, hoe. grin

If i were this trifling heifer's pussywhipped husband I'd be so damn upset. My wife is still sprung on a superior ex who wont pick her calls. What kind of mega-briffault display is that?? grin

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by ChiefSweetus: 5:36am On May 06, 2017
If barack never became the BOSS OF ALL BOSSES, guess what? She'd be stunting like her husband was the only alpha male worthy of her love. She'd never pick barack's call. But here we have a pained hoe begging for validation and recognition because she realises she backed the wrong horse.

3 Likes

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by IamAirforce1: 5:48am On May 06, 2017
ChiefSweetus:
If barack never became the BOSS OF ALL BOSSES, guess what? She'd be stunting like her husband was the only alpha male worthy of her love. She'd never pick barack's call. But here we have a pained hoe begging for validation and recognition because she realises she backed the wrong horse.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Defaramade(m): 5:49am On May 06, 2017
optional1:
wow

lesson: dating someone now doesn't mean you guys will get married and live happy ever after...
She is happy now and obama is also happy.
Hmmm deep seated words of wisdom. I learned a very important lesson from this story.

1 Share

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by jamislaw(m): 5:55am On May 06, 2017
Story for all these slay Queen bitches.
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by wristbangle: 6:55am On May 06, 2017
ChiefSweetus:
Lol the smelly Caucasian hoe even tried to spoil michelles mind against brack 30yrs later. Talmbout "we still saw off and on after he started dating his wife."

Loool bïtch if you dont!!!!

Better swallow the unchangable reality that you rejected your husband's future BOSS, and now you're upset he wont acknowledge your booty sharing days because fûck you, the pum wasnt even that good, hoe. grin

If i were this trifling heifer's pussywhipped husband I'd be so damn upset. My wife is still sprung on a superior ex who wont pick her calls. What kind of mega-briffault display is that?? grin

grin Guy u dey para gan o!
Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by Nobody: 6:57am On May 06, 2017
In all of this, there is one thing i believe.
This Jager lady that turned down Obama's proposal twice is never going to be a first Lady.

1 Like

Re: Woman Obama Proposed To Twice Before He Met Michelle Obama by bigsmoke2(m): 6:57am On May 06, 2017
ChiefSweetus:
grin grin grin grin grin guy you wicked grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Countries Where The Government Begs The Citizens To Have Sex / Seun Thank You For Hearing Our Pleas / Photos: Prison Warder Commits Suicide After Her SEXTAPE LEAKED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.