Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,279 members, 7,836,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. (56646 Views)

Governors, Senators And Emirs Jostle For Hanan Buhari's Hand / Obasanjo: Buhari’s Hand Too Weak To Sign African Free Trade Agreement / SGF Suspension: How Threat To Withhold $1:2bn EU Aid Forced Buhari's Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Kiakia(m): 10:04pm On May 09, 2017
kinibigdeal:
It simply means the cabals will rule while the VC will coordinate on cabals instructions
By the way, who are these cabals? Are they recognised by the Constitution? Away with cabals!
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 09, 2017
Kiakia:
Chai! Osinbajo don suffer. Imagine? A whole Professor of law now a mere co-ordinator of government activities! Na wa oo.
hehehe Wetin person no go see for this government lol
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 09, 2017
dragonking2:
If there was no difference why did buhari change it to coordinate? Why didn't he continue with the word "act on my behalf "?

This Igbo needs re-education. Can't understand how these guys think. Disgusting

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by stuffs4me(m): 10:24pm On May 09, 2017
From mere commissioner to coordinator
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by zanga420: 10:40pm On May 09, 2017
meolaniyi:
The word acting president does not matter.
ipod digging empty hole
yes it can be called digging, yes. Maybe the 'ipod's learnt from you people. Because from the best of my knowledge una be king of 'digging'.
To the topic, it seems harmless but it's among technicalities and in legal matters many right things are lost at technicalities. To put it straight coordinate is not same as act or preside. But I pray nothing gets us at the loggerhead of interpreting technicalities. For those that always talk of body language, the body language of the letter is pointing to some internal things. All the same, may everything work out for the good of the common man.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by nextstep(m): 10:42pm On May 09, 2017
godunia:
The word coordinating is not found in section 145 of the constitution referred to. According to that reference, Osibanjo is the Acting President. In his first letter, he didn't make any reference but in the second he did perhaps in anticipation that he might be staying away for long or in case of eventuality.

That's right... the letter could contain any language (for instance, I'm leaving my pet cow in charge), but the Constitution confers the power of president on the Vice President (AP for the duration of the vacation) - this is a limitation of the president's power to circumvent a prescribed transfer of power
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Walelavender(m): 10:42pm On May 09, 2017
krendo:
The significance of this letter is for the President to announce his absence and the letter clearly does this

The roles of the Vice President in the absence of the President is defined by the Nigerian constitution

How Buhari describes Osibanjo's role in his absence does not count for much really. For this moment Osibanjo is in charge, that's how it should work

Anybody who tries to spin this into anything else is wasting their time whether you belong to APC PDP APGA or whatever

Brilliant submission

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Nature8(m): 10:50pm On May 09, 2017
dragonking2:
It is obvious that the cabals don't want to make the same mistake they did the first time so they ensured that Osunbade is now a mere coordinator.

Lol.. Abeg una no go kee me wid laugh grin
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by orjaha(m): 10:52pm On May 09, 2017
wahala dey ooo I beg I be vice president?
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by kinibigdeal(m): 10:55pm On May 09, 2017
Kiakia:
By the way, who are these cabals? Are they recognised by the Constitution? Away with cabals!

They controlled the constitution
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by bilazego(m): 11:00pm On May 09, 2017
meolaniyi:
The word acting president does not matter.
ipod digging empty hole

Now you term the observation ipod issue. When the reason(s) for inserting that word will arise then you will know that you aren't smart.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Saintp(m): 11:04pm On May 09, 2017
doctokwus:
D implication,call it a conspiracy theory or whatever,even if it wasn't Buhari's intention,is that any member of the cabal,ministers or appointees directly answerable to d president,can wake up one day and claim he/she is taking so and so document to the president in London or going to seek directive over sth with d president,'because Osinbajo was not explicitly made d acting president.'So they don't want to run foul of d constitution since there is still a living president,that can "rule from anywhere" '.
It's a mischievous coinage,carefully drafted by whoever,but giving those who want to exploit d situation and keep Osinbajo in check,d leeway to exploit it for their predetermined selfish aims and objectives.
All d previous occasions,Buhari has explicitly transmitted that Osinbajo wud act on his behalf,why d sudden change of d phrase,if not for mischievous purposes?
What will be will be,if Osinbajo wud become president,no mischievous coining or semantics wud stop it!

I think you are the only person from the APC camp who speaks the truth to power. Keep it up.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by bilazego(m): 11:08pm On May 09, 2017
The days ahead will reveal the motives if any

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by doctokwus: 11:10pm On May 09, 2017
Saintp:

I think you are the only person from the APC camp who speaks the truth to power. Keep it up.
My brother,its Nigeria and our future that is stake,I cannot therefore because of party or individual affiliations see things not being done property by those I supported or blived in and keep quiet,just so that I wud not be seen to b exposing their failings.
Nigeria and d future of it's people is greater than any party or individual affiliation.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by aribisala0(m): 11:13pm On May 09, 2017
doctokwus:
D implication,call it a conspiracy theory or whatever,even if it wasn't Buhari's intention,is that any member of the cabal,ministers or appointees directly answerable to d president,can wake up one day and claim he/she is taking so and so document to the president in London or going to seek directive over sth with d president,'because Osinbajo was not explicitly made d acting president.'So they don't want to run foul of d constitution since there is still a living president,that can "rule from anywhere" '.
It's a mischievous coinage,carefully drafted by whoever,but giving those who want to exploit d situation and keep Osinbajo in check,d leeway to exploit it for their predetermined selfish aims and objectives.
All d previous occasions,Buhari has explicitly transmitted that Osinbajo wud act on his behalf,why d sudden change of d phrase,if not for mischievous purposes?
What will be will be,if Osinbajo wud become president,no mischievous coining or semantics wud stop it!
More
Buhari does not have the power to Make or appoint his vice as Acting. The constitution is clear on the circumstances which can produce an Acting President .That is that the president writes the NA to say he is going on
Vacation etc period.. In fact he does not need to mention the name of the VP AT ALL in his letter.
All that is required is letter to say I am on vacation or unavailable from such a date that is all

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by doctokwus: 11:36pm On May 09, 2017
aribisala0:

More
Buhari does not have the power to Make or appoint his vice as Acting. The constitution is clear on the circumstances which can produce an Acting President .That is that the president writes the NA to say he is going on
Vacation etc period.. In fact he does not need to mention the name of the VP AT ALL in his letter.
All that is required is letter to say I am on vacation or unavailable from such a date that is all
OK.
Let me bliv no mischief was meant.But I wud b watching all moves,actions/inactions of all involved parties closely.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by aribisala0(m): 11:38pm On May 09, 2017
doctokwus:

OK.
Let me bliv no mischief was meant.But I wud b watching all moves,actions/inactions of all involved parties closely.
I am not saying no mischief was meant. I have no way of knowing. What I am saying is even if it was it does not matter
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by dragonking2: 11:58pm On May 09, 2017
sammydirectly:

The post below is enough explanation to your feeble mind

kenchop:

once again make I school you. buhari does not coordinate the government, he presides over the government,or heads the government or leads the government. He presides over his coordinators, who are his cabinet /ministers. you will do urself a lot of good by stop hating people from other tribes and educating urself better...
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by AlphaT1(m): 11:59pm On May 09, 2017
dragonking2:
If there was no difference why did buhari change it to coordinate? Why didn't he continue with the word "act on my behalf "?
I don't jst know why Nigeria is full of zombies everywhere. The letter reads clearly; in compliance with section 145 (1) of the 1999 constitution......have you bothered to check out what this portion of the constitution say.
......145(1) states:
Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.
........irrespective of whether he mentions VP or not, or uses the word coordinator or supervisor or acting etc. once he transmits a letter to the Speaker of the Senate and House of Rep. the VP automatically assumes the acting position.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by sweetgala(m): 12:12am On May 10, 2017
SillyMods:
What's the difference between"act on my behalf" and "will coordinate govt activities in my absence"?

What if he didn't make any reference to the VP but just transmit a letter saying he's going away for medical follow up? Would that mean the VP is not the person to assume his duties?

Thy hypocrisy of wailing LiePods stinks to high heavens. The same people who didn't see anything wrong in YarAdua not even sending a letter to the NASS while he was away during his sickness (which was a breach of the constitution) are same people wailing over petty issue.

What a set of confused, perpetually bitter, hate-filled low lifes!

Not only Yar'adua but also GEJ and OBJ these all carried their power with them when ever they were away.

GEJ barely let Sambo the absentee "coordinate" any important meetings
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Nobody: 12:21am On May 10, 2017
I can bet anything dat buyaria is not in London he is hiding out of cameras after all he is not doing anything in aso rock but em don win so em dey em villa dey enjoy and osinanjo is not a treat at all
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by sweetgala(m): 12:27am On May 10, 2017
dragonking2:

He wrote another letter on another occasion​ that still carries the same meaning.

Semantics is very important in this case

The primary function of the president is to coordinate the activities of government and execute the laws as set by the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria

So the president transmitting a letter in which the first paragraph refers to section 145 of the Constitution which details the transfer of power already satisfied all constitutional requirements

Making a statement of fact that the VP assumes full control and coordination of all "affairs of state" is correct action.

An orchestra no matter the diversity of talent is presided over by the "coordinato/conductorr" so the word coordinate and preside are mutually same

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Jaabioro(m): 12:29am On May 10, 2017
I didn't see anything wrong with this letter except if you wanted it to carry words to words of the previous letter ..The constitutional section needed has been quote, the vice president would be acting on my behalf, coordinating government activities.. ..
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by sweetgala(m): 12:30am On May 10, 2017
doctokwus:

Such nonsensical suggestions

Have you used the thesaurus lately

The words coordinate and preside are mutually interchangeable
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by edupedia: 12:42am On May 10, 2017
SillyMods:
What's the difference between"act on my behalf" and "will coordinate govt activities in my absence"?

What if he didn't make any reference to the VP but just transmit a letter saying he's going away for medical follow up? Would that mean the VP is not the person to assume his duties?

Thy hypocrisy of wailing LiePods stinks to high heavens. The same people who didn't see anything wrong in YarAdua not even sending a letter to the NASS while he was away during his sickness (which was a breach of the constitution) are same people wailing over petty issue.

What a set of confused, perpetually bitter, hate-filled low lifes!

...well-said...
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by edupedia: 1:06am On May 10, 2017
sammydirectly:

...what do u expect?...they are no longer relevant in Nigeria...they are political neophytes as Kalu told them

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by k9ine(m): 1:11am On May 10, 2017
No way.
Coordinating is not stronger.
'Acting-President' means that he is vested with the full powers to exercise the duties and responsibilities of the office of President. It also puts him as C-IN-C.

'Coordinating activities' does not vest upon him the powers and duties of the President. It merely gives Osibanjo some administrative powers. Any Minister or Federal Officer can decide to go over his head to the President, or simply disobey Osibanjo, or conduct FG affairs without regard to the VP and claim the President ordered it. This is Nigeria.

They may appear same but they are not. A good lawyer can argue definitely in court that Buhari never intended to see the VP act as an 'Acting-President' it would have being clearly spelt out in the letter, and he would win the case.

Those who drew up the letter know what they did. It's a clever letter.

Basic123:
coordinating is even stronger to me than acting.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Chinagurum1995(m): 2:18am On May 10, 2017
Yeah things got be settled good for Nigeria even for our Nigerian president Buhari. lipsrsealed

Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by TheAlchemist: 2:38am On May 10, 2017
sweetgala:

He wrote another letter on another occasion​ that still carries the same meaning.

Semantics is very important in this case

The primary function of the president is to coordinate the activities of government and execute the laws as set by the Constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria

So the president transmitting a letter in which the first paragraph refers to section 145 of the Constitution which details the transfer of power already satisfied all constitutional requirements

Making a statement of fact that the VP assumes full control and coordination of all "affairs of state" is correct action.

An orchestra no matter the diversity of talent is presided over by the "coordinato/conductorr" so the word coordinate and preside are mutually same

But in an office environment would you rather want to be "THE COORDINATOR OR THE MANAGER". It is even the Manager (MD) that determines whether or not the coordinator/conductor will coordinate the orchestra... so i guess there is a cabal saying though the president is away, they are still in charge. I think Buhari's choice of word is quite sad. He should have maintained consistency as contained in his first letter referring to osinbajo as the acting president.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by descoay(m): 4:00am On May 10, 2017
The constitution is explicit and unambiguous about this matter. Whenever the President is not available in whatever circumstances, the Vice President automatically becomes the Acting President once the President informs the National Assembly of his absence. The choice of words or the diction does not matter.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by Nobody: 4:16am On May 10, 2017
Only foolish people will come out here and start chasing tribes in this case. This is NIGERIA, it belongs to all. I am sorry for you, when these men ruin this country in your life time because you are sentimental, your generations unborn will be running around in circles with no direction.
Re: Buhari's Hand Over Letter In February Vs Buhari's Hand Over Letter In May. by authenticman(m): 5:03am On May 10, 2017
The term was carefully chosen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Seun Onigbinde Resignation: Oby Ezekwesil, Banky W, Others React / El-Zakzaky: 'I Lived Next To The Senate President & Never In Detention' / Wike: I Have Great Respect For Tinubu But His Comment On Edo Crisis Shocked Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.