Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,176 members, 7,811,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy (61831 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Tweets After Inauguration / Onnoghen: Senate Should Suspend Buhari And Declare Saraki As Acting President / Shehu Sani Tweets About Jibril Of Sudan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by FriendNG: 9:20pm On May 09, 2017
- Professor Yemi Osinbajo reacted to concern that President Buhari did not hand over power to him

- He said the president duly handed over power to him

Professor Yemi Osinbajo has waded into the controversy surrounding whether President Muhammadu Buhari duly handed over power to him when he left the country.

President Buhari had left the country on Sunday, May 7 for medical treatment and the vice president was duly expected to replace him in acting capacity.

On Tuesday, May 9 however, there was observation from Senator Mao Ohuabunwa that the president did not properly transfer power to the vice president following a letter read by Senate president, Bukola Saraki of the president’s medical trip.

The letter read: “In compliance with Section 145 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), I wish to inform the distinguished Senate that I will be away for a scheduled medical follow-up with my doctors in London. The length of my stay will be determined by the doctor’s advice.

“While I am away, the Vice President will coordinate the activities of the government. Please accept, the distinguished Senate President, the assurances of my highest consideration.”

Ohuabunwa criticised the letter saying there was no position of coordinating president in the constitution and that Osinbajo should have been duly addressed as acting president.

He said: “Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them the written declaration to the contrary, such function shall be discharged by the Vice- President as Acting President.

“Mr. President, I don’t think in our Constitution we have anything like ‘coordinating president’ or ‘coordinating vice president.’ It is either you are vice president or you are acting president and any letter (on transfer of power) should be unambiguous and very clear. So, I am saying that this letter really does not convey anything because ‘coordinating’ has no space or any place in our Constitution.

“We have been having (receiving) letters like this in which he will tell us who is the acting president and we will know who to deal with as a Senate. This is the highest legislative body of any country and if you are sending us a letter, it should be direct, unambiguous. So, I am saying that this letter, for me, is not right and maybe it should be sent back.”

Osinbajo in an answer to a question on twitter confirmed that Buhari handed over power to him as acting president as specified by the constitution.

https://www.naij.com/1103792-osinbajo-speaks-acting-president-coordinating-president-controversy.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by ShobayoEmma(m): 9:25pm On May 09, 2017
Face saving strategy.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by FriendNG: 9:26pm On May 09, 2017
Common Synonym is giving some educated illiterate southerners headache. [FFK is the leader of the illiterates]

Buhari is coordinating the activities of the country and now he ask Osinbanjo to coordinate on his behalf.

The section of the constitution quoted is enough to tell you what the president meant. What is so hard 2 understand.

278 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by osinbanjoisaliar: 9:30pm On May 09, 2017
Liar, President Buhari did not handover to you, but to the Presidency. According to the letter read on the senate floor, you are nothing but a mere coordinator.
The Senate led by the senate president called you a mere commissioner, now the executive led by the president termed you a mere coordinator. That means you are not even the VP. So stop lying and acting like if you are remotely in charge.
#NOTMYPRESIDENT

32 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:34pm On May 09, 2017
Time will tell

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by Realdeals(m): 9:35pm On May 09, 2017
The guy VP responded to must be feeling on top of the world now! A whole VP and acting President using sir for you...

To the matter, what's the difference between Gubernatorial aspirants and Governorship aspirants?

172 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by MysteriousAnn(f): 9:38pm On May 09, 2017
PMB is just a figurehead, Osinbajo is the work and brain. LOL, just joking..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by fineboynl(m): 9:39pm On May 09, 2017
to govern Nigeria is the most difficult task in the world.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by kahal29: 9:41pm On May 09, 2017
FriendNG:
Common Synonym is giving some educated illiterate southerners headache.

Buhari is coordinating the activities of the country and now he ask Osinbanjo to coordinate on his behalf.

The section of the constitution quoted is enough to tell you what the president meant. What is so hard 2 understand.

Seriously I don't know why some Nigerians are like this. Like someone posted on Facebook and I quote.. .

I don't understand this issue about Coordinating Vice President. The section that empowers Osinbajo as Acting President has already been mentioned.

NIGERIANS LIKE MAKING DRAMA OUT OF EVERYTHING.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by auntysimbiat(f): 9:54pm On May 09, 2017
Nice one prof

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by genearts(m): 10:01pm On May 09, 2017
what does an acting president do?

is the president not the coordinator of government activities?

45 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by madridguy(m): 10:07pm On May 09, 2017
tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by doctokwus: 10:42pm On May 09, 2017
D good thing is that now that everybody is aware that many of us have read some mischievous motive behind how d handover letter was drafted,everybody wud now be looking out to see if Osinbajo will in anyway be restricted in his powers and activities.
This wide public scrutiny of d letter has put all subjects involved,PMB,Osinbajo and d cabal on public watch!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by malton: 10:59pm On May 09, 2017
Something has to be done about Nigeria's high unemployment rate.

Irrelevant things have turned news.

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by malton: 11:01pm On May 09, 2017
FriendNG:
Common Synonym is giving some educated illiterate southerners headache. [FFK is the leader of the illiterates]

Nice comment.

But can you not pass it without the "southerners" word?

I wonder what divisive elements like you are turning this country into.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by FriendNG: 11:41pm On May 09, 2017
malton:

Nice comment.

But can you not pass it without the "southerners" word?

I wonder what divisive elements like you are turning this country into.

I even modified the post just to add the word. I learn it here on Nairaland. You people (southerners) are waiting for any slight opportunity to insult us.

I even tried by using the word "Some Southerners". Atleast I did not say all unlike the other way round when you people are commenting will generalize it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by BeardedMeat(m): 11:51pm On May 09, 2017
Realdeals:
The guy VP responded to must be feeling on top of the world now! A whole VP and acting President using sir for you...

To the matter, what's the difference between Gubernatorial aspirants and Governorship aspirants?
Stop comparing oranges and apples. Whatever the case may be, time shall tell. We are here.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by shegsrules(m): 12:11am On May 10, 2017
Active, the letter quoted the right thing in the Constitution but the presidency wrote what the felt was better for them. Well done to the senator, raise the issue

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by Millz404(m): 12:22am On May 10, 2017
Why are people this dumb
A part of the Constitution is sited, and the letter is in accordance with what that part of the Constitution says.

Before you start getting confused about the term used in the letter. Read that part of the Constitution which is the source from which the letter is drafted. If it hands over power to the vice
president then whatever term used in the letter is irrelevant.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by babyfaceafrica: 12:22am On May 10, 2017
Some people and mumu questions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by malton: 1:12am On May 10, 2017
FriendNG:

Whatsoever mind your business and allow my post to be. Even if you don't like the post, u cannot change it. Even the mods cannot talkless of u inconsequential.

LOL.

That's your business.

I couldn't care less what you post. I just had to point out the flaw in your comment.

It's the same mentality that makes people detest you - you hate correction.

No wonder y'all are after Sanusi's head for daring to speak the truth.

grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by FriendNG: 1:18am On May 10, 2017
malton:

LOL.

That's your business.

I couldn't care less what you post. I just had to point out the flaw in your comment.

It's the same mentality that makes people detest you - you hate correction.

No wonder y'all are after Sanusi's head for daring to speak the truth.

grin

If you think I come here to be loved then you must be high on weed. Carry your correction go give Southerners that generalize and insult the north.

Am not changing that post, if you're not satisfied with it then go hang yourself.

I always addressed issues the way they are straight and I don't care what you say or how you feel.

For every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by NaWetinDey(m): 2:00am On May 10, 2017
SuperS1Panther:
If PYO gives Executive Order, let Osus refuse the Order and they will see a replica of what Gowon did to the sissy coward bearing Ojuwkwu.

You don't even know how to abuse, were you raised in torture and suffering? No humor.

Hahahahaha grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by AkinPhysicist: 2:09am On May 10, 2017
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Defence HQ Press Release on The Purported Shekau Video In Circulation / SW Leaders Put Pressure On Osinbajo To Step Down For Tinubu / Third Female Suicide Bomber Caught By Villagers, Shot Dead (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.