Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,907 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy (61840 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Tweets After Inauguration / Onnoghen: Senate Should Suspend Buhari And Declare Saraki As Acting President / Shehu Sani Tweets About Jibril Of Sudan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by BabaRamota1980: 2:17am On May 10, 2017
Whether its a use of synonym or not, whether the statute of constitution is referenced or not, the objection raised by Senator Mao is on semantics and to a degree, technical.

The technicality is to observe whether an Acting is substantially the same as Coordinating.

In any case, given the objection raised and its civic impact, legal luninaries should intervene and ask that a followup letter be written explicitly denoting the VP as the substantial ACTING PRESIDENT.

Barack Obama won US election in 2008. On his Oath of Office on Jan 20th 2009, Justice Roberts committed an error viewed as Constitutionally non impacting but technically troublesome. He returned to the Oval Office next day and delivered a proper swearing in.

Do not leave any loop hole ....plug it up, NOW!!

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by yerokunphilips: 2:37am On May 10, 2017
ON THE ISSUE OF COORDINATING AND ACTING PRESIDENT .This is the letter the President sent to the house in January 2017 The letter read thus
“Further to my letter dated 18th January 2017 in which I notified the Distinguished Senate of taking part of my annual leave.
“During my leave, I took the opportunity to have routine check-ups and consult my long standing doctors in London.
“In the course of the routine examinations, certain test result indicated the need for a course of medications and further appointments have been scheduled for next week.
“I am therefore notifying the Distinguished Senate that I am extending my leave until the doctors are satisfied that certain factors are ruled out. In the circumstances, the vice president will continue to act on my behalf.
“Please accept, Distinguished Senate President, the assurances of my highest consideration.” WHILE THE LATEST ONE READ THUS President Buhari’s letter dated 7th May, 2017, read in full, ” In compliance with section 145 {1) of the 1999 constitution as amended. I wish to inform the distinguished Senate that I will be away for a scheduled medical followup with my doctors in London. The length of my stay will be determined by the doctor’s advice. “While I am away the vice president will coordinate the activities of the government. Pls accept the distinguished senate president the assurances of my highest consideration.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/senate-reads-buharis-medical-leave-letter. PLEASE NOTE . IN THE FIRST LETTER NO SESSION OF THE NIGERIA CONSTITUTION WAS QUOTED , BUT IT WAS CLEARLY QUOTED AND WHAT DO WE HAVE IN THAT PART OF THE CONSTITUTION CHAPTER 6 , SESSION 145 (1)absence of President
Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President. SO PROFESSOR YEMI OSIBANJO ,IS THE ACTING PRESIDENT AND ALSO THE COORDINATING PRESIDENT . ACCORDING TO BOTH HIS BOSS AND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE LAND .
GOD BLESS NIGERIA , HEAL PMB AND DEFEND PYO

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by BabaRamota1980: 3:17am On May 10, 2017
In a normal society where the rule of law is observed, respected and accorded honor...YES, the statute of Law is sufficient.

Nigeria is a lawless country and everybody violates the constitution and do contrary to the letters of its statutes.

Go back to 1979. UPN clearly won the Presidential election but NPN subverted the constitution and redefined 2/3rd majority and took away the people's mandate.

Go to 1983. Abiola clearly won and the constitution was clear about what should happen next....but again, the statutes were subverted and the mandate and national conscience again stolen.

If we were lawful and dignified by now Buhari should have been asked to hand over power to his VP. What else do we need to declare him incapacitated, his coffin?

The use of "coordinating" is a hook. It is calculated move to keep Buhari perpetually in power as long he has breathe in him, even if he is condemned to sick bed terminally. In the event he dies, the North will raise objection to succession and call for election. In that scenario, what can we do? Are we going to expect them to respect and honor section 145 (1) of 199 constitution? ....and if they don't, then what? They didnt in 79 or 83, how is 2017 or 2018 going to be different?

Drop this idealism of a constituted sovereingty, its bs, Nigeria is a syndicate for lootocracy, not a constituted nation. You hear me?

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by SmartMugu: 4:14am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
Liar, President Buhari did not handover to you, but to the Presidency. According to the letter read on the senate floor, you are nothing but a mere coordinator.
The Senate led by the senate president called you a mere commissioner, now the executive led by the president termed you a mere coordinator. That means you are not even the VP. So stop lying and acting like if you are remotely in charge.
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
Did anyone try to tell you that you sound like a confused and illiterate teenager with this comment of yours? You even had to create a moniker against Osibanjo. How fake, backward and tribalistic is that?

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by basty: 4:48am On May 10, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
Face saving strategy.

Why is this your problem?
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by BermudaTriangle(m): 5:18am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
Liar, President Buhari did not handover to you, but to the Presidency. According to the letter read on the senate floor, you are nothing but a mere coordinator.
The Senate led by the senate president called you a mere commissioner, now the executive led by the president termed you a mere coordinator. That means you are not even the VP. So stop lying and acting like if you are remotely in charge.
#NOTMYPRESIDENT

No wonder those who make headlines from your parochial enclave achieve it from criminal activities such as doing the drugs, certificate forgery, etc. You display very low cognitive reasoning and abhor genuine achievements forgetting that he who respects the great paves the way for his own greatness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by kunlexy1759(m): 6:07am On May 10, 2017
FriendNG:
Common Synonym is giving some educated illiterate southerners headache. [FFK is the leader of the illiterates]

Buhari is coordinating the activities of the country and now he ask Osinbanjo to coordinate on his behalf.

The section of the constitution quoted is enough to tell you what the president meant. What is so hard 2 understand.
that senator MAO wanted to, and he has just, show his level of illitracy to d public

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by ShobayoEmma(m): 6:17am On May 10, 2017
basty:

Why is this your problem?
What will it cost mr president to name mr VP as acting which is ideally ought to be in this scenerio? What is the different between his medical trip to UK then and the this lattest one that then qualifies him as Acting and now as a coordinator? Now you will see why it is your problem when you know what qualifies a VP to be an acting president under our constitution. Learn or lost, the choice is yours.
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by nelcliff(m): 7:13am On May 10, 2017
MysteriousAnn:
PMB is just a figurehead, Osinbajo is the work and brain. LOL, just joking..

This is not a joke as claim by u. It the real fact bro
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by whirlwind7(m): 7:35am On May 10, 2017
FriendNG:
Common Synonym is giving some educated illiterate southerners headache. [FFK is the leader of the illiterates]

Buhari is coordinating the activities of the country and now he ask Osinbanjo to coordinate on his behalf.

The section of the constitution quoted is enough to tell you what the president meant. What is so hard 2 understand.

Do you know what's funny?

God forbid, but in the event that Mr president couldn't make it back to resume duty, a section of his cabinet will argue that the VP cannot take his place due to the wordings in this same letter.

You should understand that Nigeria is such a complex entity, and certain ambiguities should be avoided, if the intent wasn't to create mischief in the first place.
Bring two constitutional lawyers into a room and have them interpret a part of the constitution.....you are bound to get different views.
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by MrFuckallday: 7:46am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
so you simply created this account to make this comment? SMH
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by dokJ: 7:50am On May 10, 2017
fineboynl:
to govern Nigeria is the most difficult task in the world.
no b lie. U r absolutely correct!
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by SEOManiac: 7:50am On May 10, 2017
Hmm...
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by Diplomaticbeing(m): 7:51am On May 10, 2017
VP calm down. There's a clear difference between an acting president and a VP coordinating activities of the government on behalf of a vacation president. While the former is saddled with power to control things at his will the latter has no such power rather, he can only carry out orders already marshalled out by the vacation president through his proxies.

A computer software will always remains inferior to a computer hardware; an acting president is likened to a computer hardware in this regard while a coordinator of government is likened to the computer software.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by AntiWailer: 7:51am On May 10, 2017
kahal29:

Seriously I don't know why some Nigerians are like this. Like someone posted on Facebook and I quote.. .

I don't understand this issue about Coordinating Vice President. The section that empowers Osinbajo as Acting President has already been mentioned.

NIGERIANS LIKE MAKING DRAMA OUT OF EVERYTHING.

They mix hate , ignorance and mediocrity so it is difficult to help them because you dnt even know which of the syndromes took over them when typing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by BabaO2: 7:52am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
Envy

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by Nobody: 7:53am On May 10, 2017
fineboynl:
to govern Nigeria is the most difficult task in the world.
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by pacoson: 7:53am On May 10, 2017
This country is just a joke
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by AntiWailer: 7:54am On May 10, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
What will it cost mr president to name mr VP as acting which is ideally ought to be in this scenerio? What is the different between his medical trip to UK then and the this lattest one that then qualifies him as Acting and now as a coordinator? Now you will see why it is your problem when you know what qualifies a VP to be an acting president under our constitution. Learn or lost, the choice is yours.

Section 145 :
‘Whenever the President is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to that effect, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, the Vice President SHALL perform the functions of the President as Acting President.’

Buhari cited that section of the constitution amd transmitted a letter

The section does not even say empower him to mention anybody as acting President if not he could have nominated his wife or mention any other person.

As soon as that letter was read on the floor, the VP becomes the acting President untill another letter comes in tindicating that the President is back.

STOP looking for trouble where none exist.

When you mix hatred, mediocrity, ignorance and sentiments together, we will not know how to help you.

Pending the time we know what your problem is, we will assume it is just a combination of ignorance and mediocrity.

Ectremeely f00lish set of people.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by victorazy(m): 7:54am On May 10, 2017
Realdeals:
The guy VP responded to must be feeling on top of the world now! A whole VP and acting President using sir for you...

I tell u, the guy go go print the chart and frame it like picture in his house.
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by tuscani: 7:57am On May 10, 2017
This man self
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by PatriotTemidayo: 7:58am On May 10, 2017
As hard as this is for me to say, honestly NIGERIA IS A MESSED UP COUNTRY.

The entire premise of a law is predicated on its content, which by extension means its letters or words. "Coordinator" is never a transfer of mandate and its inherent powers, which was exactly the intent of the law that asked the president to send a letter to the National Assembly.

If such was done in developed and serious nations, that letter would have been shredded until the right designation is made.

Coordinating is comparable to times when the president attend official duties outside of the Villa, Ofcourse, someone is always overseeing activates before he comes back. That is never the same as when a president is going for medical follow-up in incapacitated situation. And especially when he doesn't know the duration of his medical tour.

This is an insult to the constitution of Nigeria and its beautiful people.

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by jerryBoss1(m): 7:59am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
Since your father is the real vice president why won't you talk yeye read post well na problem,check constitution for Google to understand you won't but yours is just to block space first page for better comments .
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by kolexxy: 8:00am On May 10, 2017
Nigeria politics! So irritating but we will play along. We all know in this country that vice president is next to the president, even if president did not inform or write the senate we know the wright thing. The so called senate are just trying to frustrate the effort of the acting president (prof Osinbajo). Please let him concetrate on good governance and deliver dividends of democracy. We pray that president Buhari will be back soon with sound health...God Bless Nigeria...Iyanu A Shele...

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by farem: 8:01am On May 10, 2017
FriendNG:

The wailers and Sad-u-sees insist that the CUP is half-empty instead of half -full.

Waiting eagerly to rejoice over non-existent confusion

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by TheVictorious(m): 8:02am On May 10, 2017
I love Osinbajo for this reply. I see maturity and Humility everywhere.
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by morisnewrain(m): 8:03am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
you lack decorum to argue this because you are an illiterate. President mentioned S.145 (1) of1999 constitution as amended, yet you are arguing blindly. I don't know the difference between you and the foolish senator that said acting not specified in the letter. Bloody illiterate or stack illiterate I will call both of you. Answer this question; who is a president, chairman, governor, managing director? I think by now you are reset back to factory settings.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by dealslip(f): 8:04am On May 10, 2017
osinbanjoisaliar:
#NOTMYPRESIDENT
Eeyah you must be really sad, Buhari didn't handover but Osinbajo is signing the budget for 2017. You are so sad and miserable that you had to specifically adopt a moniker that had Osinbajo in it. Which lie did he tell you that you are so bitter about.

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by castrokins(m): 8:05am On May 10, 2017
Senator Mao Made A Valid Observation. Buhari Thinks He's a Doing Me...
Re: Osinbajo Tweets About Acting President / Coordinating President Controversy by ipobarecriminals: 8:05am On May 10, 2017
sad Igbos are confused,I mean confusionist.What does acting president do,is it not to coordinate/run the affiars of govt? Go school,mbah! Nah to go one roadside,display ur tools/petrol in one bottle and call urself Phone Engr/dey sell fake N substandard chargers#Truck pushers#

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

APC Primary: Udo-Edehe Slaps Ita Enang, Enang Bites Udo-Edehe - Akwa Ibom Daily / Meet Sunday Erhabor: Policeman Who Has Never Shot A Single Person Since 1992 / "Buhari’s Minister, Aisha-Abubakar, With Body Odour" - YES International

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.