Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? (19453 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" / If Adam And Eve Were First Humans How Did Other Races Come About / New Atheists Are Not Intellectually Bright, Philosophers Agree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 2:02am On May 17, 2017
ifenes:

I'm not offended..... I'm relaxed here, just reading what an inferior mind has to say next. Guess what, you feel inferior, that's why you think your fellow blacks are inferior. It all has to do with your mind. You need a gentle hit on the head to feel good again smiley. To change the world, it starts from within...black man.
Exactly. Only a person with inferiority complex would come here and say whites are more intelligent than the blacks. All because we have failed to achieve what other races has achieved. This is like comparing us to dogs or monkeys.
Now a monkey can't go to an american university and excel so well to be the best graduating student. Africans have done this many times. Even if they choose not to apply their intelligence to develop the african continent, that is choice, not a lack of intelligence.
Are all whites responsible for the scientific and technological advancements in their society? Absolutely no. Many of them are dumb and stvpid and don't even have capability for simple mathematics. But are lucky to have a community of scientists who are interested in their advancements, which is what africa lacks.
A white man may be interested in traveling to space, while a black man choose to marry many wives and have money. It is a choice and perspective issue. All that is involved in the american space program can be studied and fully understood by a Negro, but are we interested? No.
So I don't know why we all of a sudden make ourselves baboons that can't operate at the same intellectual level of whites. I don't understand where the belief that a caucasian is superior to a negro, as if they have achieved anything we cannot understand. I am sure many people here think every white man is a walking genius. What level of stvpidity

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 5:45am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:

Let us be objective here. The black race is not doing well but that does not mean we are not intelligent. Can a black man fully grasp anything the whites. Have ever done? Absolutelu yes.
Can a black man understand and contribute to quantum, nuclear astro physics for example? The answer is an absolute yes!
Can a do operate at the same level of intelligence? Absolutely No!
Can All white men understand astro or quantum physics? Absolutely No.
Is it natural for whites to do complex spatial tasks? It is not.
Asians put themselves through extreme mathematics training from childhood, it is not genetic, it is cultural.
What are we really discussing here?
The ability and capability of the brain of a Negro or our failures as a race.
Can't we rise and live for what maTters? Or you all think an average white man has a higher brain capacity? This is ridiculous to say the least. You make it seem an average white man is a genius compared to an average negro. Too bad we are not being objective here.

Are you really being objective or emotional?

Nobody is saying we are not intelligent. What the op is asking is whether we are intellectual inferior to other races in general and if you become objective, the answer to the question is YES

".Intellectual: person possessing a highly developed intellect"

How many persons posses highly developed intellect in sub Saharan Africa?

Luckily for us we can measure the using Human Developmental Index and literacy level. Please do the comparison between Sub Saharan Africa and other places and you will be amazed.

I think we need to acknowledge this and start solving the problem. We can really use ICT to bridge the gap of Human Development at a low cost, high efficiency and wider coverage, That's a solution I am proposing ; e-learning. we also need to overhaul our educational sector and resuscitate it back to life. Everyone wants to send their wards abroad to school nowadays. Our educational sector is similar to religion. every lesson is instructive. They don't give you room to be creative and explore the world. Just cram and pour.

4 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 7:35am On May 17, 2017
onyenze123:

Are you really being objective or emotional?

Nobody is saying we are not intelligent. What the op is asking is whether we are intellectual inferior to other races in general and if you become objective, the answer to the question is YES

How many persons posses highly developed intellect in sub Saharan Africa?

Luckily for us we can measure the using Human Developmental Index and literacy level. Please do the comparison between Sub Saharan Africa and other places and you will be amazed.

I think we need to acknowledge this and start solving the problem. We can really use ICT to bridge the gap of Human Development at a low cost, high efficiency and wider coverage, That's a solution I am proposing ; e-learning. we also need to overhaul our educational sector and resuscitate it back to life. Everyone wants to send their wards abroad to school nowadays. Our educational sector is similar to religion. every lesson is instructive. They don't give you room to be creative and explore the world. Just cram and pour.
We are not intellectually inferior. This is not about emotions. I will only agree with you if their was an intellectual premise the black race is incapable of understanding, regardless of the origin. Don't forget we are talking about races here. So whenever I see a white man, I should conclude I am beholding someone who has an higher intellect than we blacks? Lol. Listen to yourself. The achievement of a few, who have been able to influence their society is what you see and celebrate, not the achievement of a race.
Do you know what "Flash of Genius" is?
If I happen to be in ife kingdom 1000years ago and was able to make a flying machine. It would motivate those around me to tap into their intellect towards that direction. It does not make everyone in ife an engineer. It is about influence and motivation.
A FEW had "flashes of genuis" people around them could tap into and hence the intellect you celebrate. It is not a white thing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Born2Freak(f): 7:36am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
I agree with you, howbeit the current system of the world leaves such comfortable people as the most vulnerable and trust we would be the easiest to conquer, sadly again. I'm certainly not saying we are not capable but we are currently not showing any signs of being capable going by what is encouraged and met with outrage within our soceity. We do not see education as important. We are still very comfortable, worse still we are the most religious, substituting reality with superstition. So it begs to ask the question the OP asked because what is clearly common sense to others seems like advanced calculus to us.

We have the potential but the environment does not support it.

Do you know that there are many Nigerian scientists in the USA? We have Nigerians in NASA and many tech companies in the USA.

The problem that we are facing right now is bad leadership. As long as we have religious, half baked, starved masses- they will always vote in useless leaders

3 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 7:52am On May 17, 2017
Born2Freak:

We have the potential but the environment does not support it.

Do you know that there are many Nigerian scientists in the USA? We have Nigerians in NASA and many tech companies in the USA.

The problem that we are facing right now is bad leadership. As long as we have religious, half baked, starved masses- they will always vote in useless leaders
Our problem is not bad leadership, else how did the bad leaders get into power in the first place. I can say the black man is actually intellectually lazy (not intellectually incapable or inferior) that is our main problem. Just leave me in peace and give me food is all what many want. Hey! Let's work on researches in our higher institutions! No no no. The VC is not interested in that, but bring ideas that would help embezle contact money and the VC would be 100% in. It is a cultural thing. We celebrate very primative things here. So I don't blame the OP for concluding we are inferior. But he shld know we are not, we are just not motivated and interested in tapping into our intellect
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by omohayek: 8:16am On May 17, 2017
onyenze123:

The origin of modern man is from Africa. What are you saying exactly?

As for Egyptian being Arabs culturally, Google is your friend.

This is what I found "...Egypthas revived its Arab cultural heritage..." what do you understand by heritage?

"The 25th dynasty was a line of rulers originating in the Nubian Kingdom of Kush– in present-day northern Sudan and southern Egypt – and most saw Napataas their spiritual homeland"

This is what I found in the link you posted. That are is North Africa not Sub Saharan Africa. Period
Whoever taught you geography needs to have his qualifications revoked - and you need to have your eyes examined - because Sudan is literally in sub-Saharan Africa, and what is more, it's people are about as "black" as it is possible to get, blacker even than most Nigerians.

While we're at it, you should probably take a few remedial English comprehension classes as well: I pointed out that the ancient Egyptians (and Nubians, Kushites, etc.) couldn't be "Arabs", as "Arabs" didn't even exist 3,000 years ago, and your answer is simply to regurgitate the same nonsense about how Egyptians see themselves today?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by ifenes(m): 8:17am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:

Exactly. Only a person with inferiority complex would come here and say whites are more intelligent than the blacks. All because we have failed to achieve what other races has achieved. This is like comparing us to dogs or monkeys.
Now a monkey can't go to an american university and excel so well to be the best graduating student. Africans have done this many times. Even if they choose not to apply their intelligence to develop the african continent, that is choice, not a lack of intelligence.
Are all whites responsible for the scientific and technological advancements in their society? Absolutely no. Many of them are dumb and stvpid and don't even have capability for simple mathematics. But are lucky to have a community of scientists who are interested in their advancements, which is what africa lacks.
A white man may be interested in traveling to space, while a black man choose to marry many wives and have money. It is a choice and perspective issue. All that is involved in the american space program can be studied and fully understood by a Negro, but are we interested? No.
So I don't know why we all of a sudden make ourselves baboons that can't operate at the same intellectual level of whites. I don't understand where the belief that a caucasian is superior to a negro, as if they have achieved anything we cannot understand. I am sure many people here think every white man is a walking genius. What level of stvpidity

The amount of illiterate whites in the UK will shock you bro. Look at Brexit, a few politicians fooled their huge numbers of illiterates to get a vote against staying in the European Union. They simply told them voting against EU will stop Aficans and Indians from coming into the country, amongst other rediculous stuff. We would assume a clever mind will find out what the EU is about first before voting. As soon as the referendum was over they realised they had been tricked. Some even claimed going out the EU will means England will not participate in European football .......shocking!

A few whites have been responsible for technology, not many. Africans have never really been interested in thechnology until recently. I doubt the average black person is interested in going to the moon. How many black person has the interest of jumping from sky scrapers, planes or even building atomic weapons. We had lots of plenty in the past and we see the planet as our home. we are naturally inclined to nature, family and forming a romantic society. This doesn't make us less or more intelligent to others.

3 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 8:19am On May 17, 2017
Oh look at that cheesy Look who's generalising? cheesy I am not intellectually lazy. So whenever I see a white man I should bow to one who is more intellectually assiduous?It must be inferiority complex. undecided In fact what is race? How is race defined? undecided Getting all emotional rather than hold a conversation

=HardMirror post=56596149]
Our problem is not bad leadership, else how did the bad leaders get into power in the first place. I can say the black man is actually intellectually lazy (not intellectually incapable or inferior) that is our main problem. Just leave me in peace and give me food is all what many want. Hey! Let's work on researches in our higher institutions! No no no. The VC is not interested in that, but bring ideas that would help embezle contact money and the VC would be 100% in. It is a cultural thing. We celebrate very primative things here. So I don't blame the OP for concluding we are inferior. But he shld know we are not, we are just not motivated and interested in tapping into our intellect
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 8:26am On May 17, 2017
omohayek:

Whoever taught you geography needs to have his qualifications revoked - and you need to have your eyes examined - because Sudan is literally in sub-Saharan Africa, and what is more, it's people are about as "black" as it is possible to get, blacker even than most Nigerians.

While we're at it, you should probably take a few remedial English comprehension classes as well: I pointed out that the ancient Egyptians (and Nubians, Kushites, etc.) couldn't be "Arabs", as "Arabs" didn't even exist 3,000 years ago, and your answer is simply to regurgitate the same nonsense about how Egyptians see themselves today?
You are absolutely right bro. All in a bid to say we blacks are intellectually inferior, all of a sudden, ancient egyptians are now arabs. Lol. Even a quick google search to the race of the ancient pharoahs would reveal their was nothing arabic about them

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 8:34am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Oh look at that cheesy Look who's generalising? cheesy I am not intellectually lazy. So whenever I see a white man I should bow to one who is more intellectually assiduous?It must be inferiority complex. undecided In fact what is race? How is race defined? undecided Getting all emotional rather than hold a conversation

What is all this emotions you are talking about? If you have a point to make, make it and stop trying to label those who don't agree with you. You seem confused. You say you are not intellectually lazy, yet you say whites are superior to us, then again you are now sayiing you can't bow to every white man as a recognition of their intellection prowess. What exactly is your point?
Make it clear what is your position on the black race. Are other races superior to us intellectally or not? Make it simple and clear.
My stand is they are not. What is yours?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 8:38am On May 17, 2017
Dude, nobody is talking about illiteracy in the UK. Even so, you have the nerve to compare? Do you even live in Nigeria? I doubt you know the scale of poverty illiteracy our country is dealing with. Nigeria is much bigger than Lagos Abuja Port harcourt and few other cities. Boko haram has displaced over 2 million people. Do you even know that if this number was in any neighbouring country in west Africa it would have been a full scale war but here we are like nothing's even happening.

I put it to you that you have never experienced life in top civilisations, you need to travel a little, a little exposure would put some dose of objectivity into you. Start with Nigeria, then other African countries maybe when you return then you would ask the same questions. I wonder why you are embarassed. And it's not bad at all rather start making effort to do the little you can.

ifenes:

The amount of illiterate whites in the UK will shock you bro. Look at Brexit, a few politicians fooled their huge numbers of illiterates to get a vote against staying in the European Union. They simply told them voting against EU will stop Aficans and Indians from coming into the country, amongst other rediculous stuff. We would assume a clever mind will find out what the EU is about first before voting. As soon as the referendum was over they realised they had been tricked. Some even claimed going out the EU will means England will not participate in European football .......shocking!

A few whites have been responsible for technology, not many. Africans have never really been interested in thechnology until recently. I doubt the average black person is interested in going to the moon. How many black person has the interest of jumping from sky scrapers, planes or even building atomic weapons. We had lots of plenty in the past and we see the planet as our home. we are naturally inclined to nature, family and forming a romantic society. This doesn't make us less or more intelligent to others.
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 8:38am On May 17, 2017
ifenes:

I would assume those that believe the white man is intellectually superior presume the lack the capability to reason with a white man. Cos when they are before a white man they are standing before a custodian of intellect a black man cannot grasp. Lol.
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 8:39am On May 17, 2017
omohayek:

"However, Sudan is classified as North Africa by United Nations Statistics Division.[1] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9884709175

So you don't know we have Sudan and south Sudan?

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 8:41am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Dude, nobody is talking about illiteracy in the UK. Even so, you have the nerve to compare? Do you even live in Nigeria? I doubt you know the scale of poverty illiteracy our country is dealing with. Nigeria is much bigger than Lagos Abuja Port harcourt and few other cities. Boko haram has displaced over 2 million people. Do you even know that if this number was in any neighbouring country in west Africa it would have been a full scale war but here we are like nothing's even happening.

I put it to you that you have never experienced life in top civilisations, you need to travel a little, a little exposure would put some dose of objectivity into you. Start with Nigeria, then other African countries maybe when you return then you would ask the same questions. I wonder why you are embarassed. And it's not bad at all rather start making effort to do the little you can.

I pray you, educate us, tell us why the black man is intellectally inferior. Is it genetic? Are our brains smaller or lacking some components the white man's brain has?

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 8:43am On May 17, 2017
onyenze123:

"However, Sudan is classified as North Africa by United Nations Statistics Division.[1] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9884709175

So you don't know we have Sudan and south Sudan?

So ancient egyptians and the pharoahs are what race? Caucasians? Or what is the point you are making. Pls make it clear.

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:

We are not intellectually inferior. This is not about emotions. I will only agree with you if their was an intellectual premise the black race is incapable of understanding, regardless of the origin. Don't forget we are talking about races here. So whenever I see a white man, I should conclude I am beholding someone who has an higher intellect than we blacks? Lol. Listen to yourself. The achievement of a few, who have been able to influence their society is what you see and celebrate, not the achievement of a race.
Do you know what "Flash of Genius" is?
If I happen to be in ife kingdom 1000years ago and was able to make a flying machine. It would motivate those around me to tap into their intellect towards that direction. It does not make everyone in ife an engineer. It is about influence and motivation.
A FEW had "flashes of genuis" people around them could tap into and hence the intellect you celebrate. It is not a white thing

Ok. let's look at it from another angle. Is Sub Saharan Africa poorer (in general) than other races? The answer is yes. How do you measure it? Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Does it mean we don't have poor people in other places? of course we do.

Do we have rich people in Nigeria, Yes. We have Dangote, Adenuga and co.

I am richer than some folks from other races but when you compared it in general, the GDP of Japan is 11 times of Nigeria GDP. Do you get my point?

3 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 8:59am On May 17, 2017
I only mimicked what you have been doing all along. Maybe you don't get it. Read your comments again. Didn't you mention somewhere that you are not intellectually inferior, therefore there is and can never be that possibility of black people being inferior. That's being emotional, giving the inferiority complex tag to anyone asking an uncomfortable question shows that. Being defensive without considering the arguments is being emotional.

Are there no cogent reasons to ask the question the OP asked? If you weren't being emotional, maybe you would have asked why the question in the first place. I even mentioned to you what do you observe among all humans, what is apparent? I've heard young nigerians wanting colonisation again because they think the country is worse off in the hands of their people. Some people want the oppressive military regime back. You think such uncomfortable questions fall from the sky?
The average Nigerian worker would prefer working for a white man (or would you argue against this?) because he is less likely to be cheated or owed than when working for his kind.

It was a question that was meant to be discussed before the name tagging. I think I have expressed myself enough.

HardMirror:

What is all this emotions you are talking about? If you have a point to make, make it and stop trying to label those who don't agree with you. You seem confused. You say you are not intellectually lazy, yet you say whites are superior to us, then again you are now sayiing you can't bow to every white man as a recognition of their intellection prowess. What exactly is your point?
Make it clear what is your position on the black race. Are other races superior to us intellectally or not? Make it simple and clear.
My stand is they are not. What is yours?

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 9:03am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:

So ancient egyptians and the pharoahs are what race? Caucasians? Or what is the point you are making. Pls make it clear.

hamites

Read:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/3chapter5.shtml
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by ifenes(m): 9:05am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:

Haha I need to travel more lol. Well I have done lots of travels and the people are the same. Do you want a list ? What is a top civilisation ? Africa is a top civilisation, the true land of the free.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 9:09am On May 17, 2017
I answered the you before. I cannot say if it is genetic, that would need experiments even so there could be a wide margin of error in who one decides to use for such research. However, going by observation by their inability to govern and be organised after decades of independence, black people in general are not showing any signs of higher intelligence than other races. If anyone disagrees, why don't they show how generally black people have shown superior intelligence. I don't understand the reactions here. Going by indices, poverty is more likely to be found in a black community than any other race.
I mentioned that the evidence needs to prove otherwise. How on earth is this inferiority complex? I speak 3 languages and teach sciences to undergraduates in a developed country and people talk about inferiority complex undecided
HardMirror:

I pray you, educate us, tell us why the black man is intellectally inferior. Is it genetic? Are our brains smaller or lacking some components the white man's brain has?

1 Like

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 9:47am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
I only mimicked what you have been doing all along. Maybe you don't get it. Read your comments again. Didn't you mention somewhere that you are not intellectually inferior, therefore there is and can never be that possibility of black people being inferior. That's being emotional, giving the inferiority complex tag to anyone asking an uncomfortable question shows that. Being defensive without considering the arguments is being emotional.

Are there no cogent reasons to ask the question the OP asked? If you weren't being emotional, maybe you would have asked why the question in the first place. I even mentioned to you what do you observe among all humans, what is apparent? I've heard young nigerians wanting colonisation again because they think the country is worse off in the hands of their people. Some people want the oppressive military regime back. You think such uncomfortable questions fall from the sky?
The average Nigerian worker would prefer working for a white man (or would you argue against this?) because he is less likely to be cheated or owed than when working for his kind.

It was a question that was meant to be discussed before the name tagging. I think I have expressed myself enough.

interesting. Show me where I made that ascertion that negros are intellectually inferior. *smiles*
You just want to take this personal don't you with the rate of "emotions" you keep bringing up.
Anyway, since we are not incapable of understanding and even supassing other races in any intellectual test, I would hold my ground that we are not inferior to any race. We may not prioritize science, technology and literary advancements, that is not an issue of intellect. If a dog or chimpanzee can't achieve civilization as caucasians have achieved, I don't need to think too hard to know they lack the mental capabilty. But this is not the case with negros, while investigating why we are underdeveloped, the issue of intellect is not put to question, other factors are responsible. There is the difference
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by HardMirror(m): 9:50am On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
I answered the you before. I cannot say if it is genetic, that would need experiments even so there could be a wide margin of error in who one decides to use for such research. However, going by observation by their inability to govern and be organised after decades of independence, black people in general are not showing any signs of higher intelligence than other races. If anyone disagrees, why don't they show how generally black people have shown superior intelligence. I don't understand the reactions here. Going by indices, poverty is more likely to be found in a black community than any other race.
I mentioned that the evidence needs to prove otherwise. How on earth is this inferiority complex? I speak 3 languages and teach sciences to undergraduates in a developed country and people talk about inferiority complex undecided
In your experience as a teacher, you have made observations to conclude that your negro students don't have the mental capability of other races? Or from where comes your conclusion that we are intellectually inferior? From our poor underdeveloped society? Is that an indication that we are inherently interlectually incapable?
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by KingEbukaNaija: 10:06am On May 17, 2017
dalaman:

The OP is clear. He mentioned sub saharan Africa.

This should put you to shame . Google : Katherine Johnson , Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson . And tell me what you learnt about them .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 10:13am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:
interesting. Show me where I made that ascertion that negros are intellectually inferior. *smiles*
No, you didn't you only ruled out any possibility that that may be the case by giving examples (outliers)
You just want to take this personal don't you with the rate of "emotions" you keep bringing up.
Nothing personal trust me.
Anyway, since we are not incapable of understanding and even supassing other races in any intellectual test, I would hold my ground that we are not inferior to any race. We may not prioritize science, technology and literary advancements, that is not an issue of intellect. If a dog or chimpanzee can't achieve civilization as caucasians have achieved, I don't need to think too hard to know they lack the mental capabilty. But this is not the case with negros, while investigating why we are underdeveloped, the issue of intellect is not put to question, other factors are responsible. There is the difference
Red the red-lettered words you wrote. Why do you think it's intellect for dogs and chimpazees but not include it when it comes to blacks? I could go on about how homo sapiens are genetically and behaviourally very similar to chimpazees. Anyway, I understand your stand. Environmental factors, "flash of genius" like you said could play a role.
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by dalaman: 10:16am On May 17, 2017
KingEbukaNaija:

This should put you to shame . Google : Katherine Johnson , Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson . And tell me what you learnt about them .

Stop dropping names. Just explain to me how we have not been able to use our intelligence to solve any of our problems if we are truly as intelligent as others or as we claim to be. Man pass man, that's why they were able to conquer us, enslave us and make us do what ever it is they want us to do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by neocortex: 10:37am On May 17, 2017
Trudax:
To show you how sentimental people like LOJ and Ifenes are, just imagine this topic was about exploring questions like physical strength or physical endurance, as it applies to race and the variation among different races. You definitely won't find responses like: Race is an illusion. It's just a social construct. Or statements like: Every race displays the same amount of physical strength and physical endurance. This gives credence to the fact that these guys are reasoning emotionally and not logically and objectively.
Please define physical strength and endurance because those terms are too
broad to use in this context. If your claim were to be true "blacks" will dominate
all sports involving strength in the olympics game but that is not the case.
The touted sprinting ability of blacks is often misused as evidence of superiority,
what the claimants fail to realise is that only a very tiny proportion of people of
west african descent have such ability. Thus, while the myth of blacks athletic
superiority exist, there is no scientific evidence for such. I would expect a "non-sentimental"
person like you to be aware of this.

Blacks have been scientifically proven to be more vulnerable to sickle cell than Caucasians
So do middle-eastern, indians and mediterraneans and this is because sickle cell provides
resistance against malaria. So sickle-cell is malaria-linked not skin color.
The keyword here is "high prevalence" not vulnerability, you either inherit sickle cell
or you don't.

just as Caucasians have been scientifically proven to be more vulnerable to mental illnesses like
Schizophrenia than blacks are.
I will be interested in knowing your definition of "blacks".
Guess what ? More "african-americans" are actually diagnosed for schizophrenia
than "White Americans". But recent research has shown that schizophrenia occurs
in similar rates in both groups. http://www.mdedge.com/currentpsychiatry/article/59739/schizophrenia-other-psychotic-disorders/how-avoid-ethnic-bias-when

Even if your claim were to be true(which is not), it still proves nothing as regards race and intelligence.

Blacks also show less tolerance for lactose than whites. All these expressions have strong genetic
and evolutionary underpinnings.
Yes so do asians, but I fail to see any connection
between climate and diet induced lactose tolerance and intelligence.

Why then is intelligence treated differently when it's clearly a genetic manifestation?
And how does exploring this terrain make one a self-hater or racist or neo-nazi?
From all your argument in this thread, you are not exploring the terrain, you already concluded
based on misconceptions, straw-man argument and cherry-picking facts.

I will say that I expected more from this thread, given that your opening post seems to
suggest an intellectual debate. The burden of proof is on you, the claimant and you haven't
done any justice in that regard.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by KingEbukaNaija: 10:47am On May 17, 2017
dalaman:

Stop dropping names. Just explain to me how we have not been able to use our intelligence to solve any of our problems if we are truly as intelligent as others or as we claim to be. Man pass man, that's why they were able to conquer us, enslave us and make us do what ever it is they want us to do.

These black women worked at NASA to ensure that Americans got to space and back after the Russians did it . One of them taught white people how to use the IBM macro computers to make calculations through her knowledge of FORTRAN ( a programming language) when the machine was brought into NASA and the white people couldn't use it .

Watch the movie 'Hidden Figures' , that's how I got to know about those black women and their remarkable achievements at NASA . NASA also made some changes - their segregation rules majorly - to make them more comfortable so they could work efficiently at NASA . Without them , the Americans couldn't go into space .
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by TheEminentLaity: 10:55am On May 17, 2017
HardMirror:

In your experience as a teacher, you have made observations to conclude that your negro students don't have the mental capability of other races? Or from where comes your conclusion that we are intellectually inferior? From our poor underdeveloped society? Is that an indication that we are inherently interlectually incapable?
Jeez! undecided Where or when did I say that? I am a black african man, pure breed from my full african ancestors and I'm a not doing badly in academics. I could probably be used as motivation for young black africans who live in Nigeria and aspire to study and do research in the sciences at elite universities or even go further to aspire for a Nobel prize in science. But, I'm just one person. The average needs to go up. For every, say, Okonjo Iweala in 160m Nigerians, there are a thousand to ten thousand among 120m Japanese. Not everyone would get into Harvard or become that prolific but educated people won't elect id!ots over and over again especially those that contributed to it's regression in the first place worse still celebrate them. Besides, education makes people much more tolerant and sensible. Our averages need to go up because the result is what is apparent when you look at the level of underdevelopment and mediocrity celebrated by black people. Nigerians have to get serious and more of our people need to come in.

In my uni there were just a handful of black people in my department, just three africans (all Nigerians) and it gets less the higher up you go but you would think that the way Nigerians go for degrees you would find a lot of them there. So the argument about black people coming out top in foreign universities while true, doesn't paint a very accurate picture. Rather, how many are coming out top in elite foreign universities because there are many community colleges in the US, for example, that have lower standards in comparison.

There are generally fewer intelligent people as there are unintelligent people but this talk is about averages not potential (how do you even determine potential especially when one isn't trying at all?) The OP asked a question, and my response from observation is that we, speaking as a Nigerian, we have never shown (we won't have been captured if otherwise) have not and are still not showing in anyway anything other than intellectual inferiority to other races from the increased likelihood of poverty, disorganisation, and underdevelopment within black circles. Could it be genetic? Likely, because behaviours are similar within black african nations. However, I cannot outrightly say that. But the evidence needs to prove otherwise.
Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:

The OP’s question has been answered severally, the trouble seems to be that the answer is not to your or the OP's liking. There is no empirical or scientific yardstick to come to the odious conclusion that the sub-Saharan Negroid is inherently intellectually inferior to his Caucasian counterpart, there is no genetic correlation between intelligence and race as the OP tried to slyly palm off, none whatsoever.

Nobody is saying that all is rosy in the sub-Saharan African garden, there are critical issues of development that need to be addressed but you appear to pre-suppose that the perceived inability of Sub-Saharan Africans to organize and govern themselves is due to an inherent intellectual inferiority, in the absence of cogent evidence such a stance amounts to little more than dog-whistle rabble-rousing.

You state that some young Nigerians are advocating a return to colonialism and that Nigerian workers prefer to work for a white man because they claim they won't get cheated, should we therefore encourage them to advocate a return to slavery because at least, they’d have a full time job and three square meals a day? Or should we encourage best practices in the workplace? What price a birth right?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 17, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by dalaman: 12:25pm On May 17, 2017
KingEbukaNaija:

These black women worked at NASA to ensure that Americans got to space and back after the Russians did it . One of them taught white people how to use the IBM macro computers to make calculations through her knowledge of FORTRAN ( a programming language) when the machine was brought into NASA and the white people couldn't use it .

Watch the movie 'Hidden Figures' , that's how I got to know about those black women and their remarkable achievements at NASA . NASA also made some changes - their segregation rules majorly - to make them more comfortable so they could work efficiently at NASA . Without them , the Americans couldn't go into space .

Who invented the IBM computer? Of course there are blacks that have achieved more than these ladies in the field of science and technology. But to compare the achievements of whites to blacks in the field of science and technology is not not know what you are saying. They own science and technology as we know it. They invented or discovered most of the modern scientific process and they are the ones sustaining it.

Because most of the theories and models of the modern scientific process do not have any black African man or woman's name attached to it.

Of course we are intelligent in our ways, but the reality is that these people have displayed superior intelligence by their creativity and ingenuity , ability to organize themselves and solve their problems, leadership proweres, trend setting, dominace, military might and on and on in ways we can not and we have not even demonstrated that we can period.

2 Likes

Re: Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 17, 2017
TheEminentLaity:

Jeez! undecided Where or when did I say that? I am a black african man, pure breed from my full african ancestors and I'm a not doing badly in academics. I could probably be used as motivation for young black africans who live in Nigeria and aspire to study and do research in the sciences at elite universities or even go further to aspire for a Nobel prize in science. But, I'm just one person. The average needs to go up. For every, say, Okonjo Iweala in 160m Nigerians, there are a thousand to ten thousand among 120m Japanese. Not everyone would get into Harvard or become that prolific but educated people won't elect id!ots over and over again especially those that contributed to it's regression in the first place worse still celebrate them. Besides, education makes people much more tolerant and sensible. Our averages need to go up because the result is what is apparent when you look at the level of underdevelopment and mediocrity celebrated by black people. Nigerians have to get serious and more of our people need to come in.

In my uni there were just a handful of black people in my department, just three africans (all Nigerians) and it gets less the higher up you go but you would think that the way Nigerians go for degrees you would find a lot of them there. So the argument about black people coming out top in foreign universities while true, doesn't paint a very accurate picture. Rather, how many are coming out top in elite foreign universities because there are many community colleges in the US, for example, that have lower standards in comparison.

There are generally fewer intelligent people as there are unintelligent people but this talk is about averages not potential (how do you even determine potential especially when one isn't trying at all?) The OP asked a question, and my response from observation is that we, speaking as a Nigerian, we have never shown (we won't have been captured if otherwise) have not and are still not showing in anyway anything other than intellectual inferiority to other races from the increased likelihood of poverty, disorganisation, and underdevelopment within black circles. Could it be genetic? Likely, because behaviours are similar within black african nations. However, I cannot outrightly say that. But the evidence needs to prove otherwise.

Another error you are making is conflating national identity with racial identity, when these are indeed two clearly different attributes. There are "Indians" in Pakistan, yet Pakistan suffers probably just as heavily from religious dogmatism as does Nigeria, while still being nowhere near India in developmental indices. Similarly, there are "Chinese" people in Myanmar, nevertheless that asian country does not lay claim to as good and well-developed society as China.

I think you do not fully appreciate the effect of nurture on intelligence. Environment, some would say. It isn't for the sake of jokes that Americans juggle about the idea of a disciplined Chinese child burdened by the demands of a rigorous parent. They recognize the amount of nurture that goes into creating that "intelligent" child.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

I Saw Jehovah's Witnesses Founder Charles T. Russell In Hell / Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again / Kenneth Copeland Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.