Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,191 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe (3010 Views)

Obasanjo's Letter is Justified, Buhari should not re-contest - Junaid Mohammed / Biafra Agitation Is A Face Saving Movement / Biafra Agitation Is Annoying –tanko Yakassai [READ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Bravo123: 7:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe is not a stranger to the followers of Nigerian politics. He came into the political limelight following his election in 1999 as the deputy governor of Abia State. He later left office in controversial circumstances over his principled standoff with the then governor of the state Chief Orji Uzor Kalu. The ranking Senator representing Abia South Senatorial district has become the voice for most people in the South East who are unhappy with the Nigerian State for various reasons.

Recently the soft-spoken Chairman of the powerful Senate Committee on Power Senator sat down with Alabingo.com in Lagos and shared his thoughts on a wide range of issues as they affect the Igbos; Biafra, The controversial federal rail project, Igbo Marginalisation, Power Challenges etc. Enjoy!

The exclusion of the Southeast in the proposed rail project has generated debate. And when you raised the issue on the floor of the Senate one of your colleagues was said to have retorted that the Igbo should wait till 2018. How do all these come across to you?

Well, let me say that I didn’t hear any of my colleagues make that statement, I cannot really respond to a statement I didn’t hear. Let me also say that I didn’t say that the Igbo were excluded. I said that the eastern railway corridor – because the Nigeria Railway is made up of two corridors. There’s the western corridor which starts from Kano and terminates in Lagos. There’s eastern corridor which starts from Port Harcourt and terminates in Maiduguri. So if you want to do a revolution in the railways there is no way you can do one part and leave the other part. In actual fact, in the letter written by Mr. President to the Senate asking an acceleration of the debate on the request for the loan, the President specifically said that there is an ongoing negotiation for the concessioning of the eastern corridor.

In other words, you’re taking a loan to do the western corridor - that is Kano-Kaduna-all the way to Lagos, Lagos-Ibadan to Port Harcourt to Calabar - that is the coastal one. And so, if you’re taking a loan by the Federal Government what it means is that the whole country will pay for it. Then if you concession a section of it - concessioning simply means somebody takes it over, builds it and charges you. So what it means is that only those who are within that eastern corridor will pay. So people from the eastern corridor now – starting from Port Harcourt coming down to Aba to Umuahia, Enugu, Makurdi, Laffia, Bauchi, Jos all the way to Maiduguri – everybody on that line will now pay for the concessioning.

So everybody on that eastern corridor will now be subject to what I will call double jeopardy. First, you pay for what is being used to build for one side. Then you turn around again and now pay exclusively for the one that is done on your own side - that is one. The second thing is we don’t have a very good history with concessioning because it is a relatively new thing in Nigeria. The second Onitsha bridge has been bulged down by the fact that they are looking for concession all this while. The only concesioning we’ve seen that seems it is a little successful is the Murtala Mohammed 2, which is also bulged down with all manners of litigation and problems. Somebody now tells us to wait, until we can concession that side.

So we feel that this in effect is a constitutional matter. Section 16(2a) of the Constitution states very clearly that you are going to do economic development in a fair and balanced manner. So when you have eastern and western corridors and then you’re doing only West with our resources - that is not balanced. So when I brought up the motion, my essential aim was to say; this is not balanced, it is against the constitution. The constitution says in taking these responsibilities you must make sure that everybody in the country is captured. This is exactly what that is all about.

There is a strong feeling among people in the eastern part of the country that the Federal Government is not carrying them along. Where do you stand?

I’m the chairman of the Southeast Senate caucus. Sometime last year, I think about September, we went to have a discussion. We sought for an audience with President Buhari. We went and met with him. And we asked him, and we made it very, very clear to him that the Southeast is totally excluded from happenings within the country. We’re not part of the security network in the country. There’s a security council for which every component part of the country is supposed to be represented. And that his pattern of appointment into the security architecture of the country we feel it is not representative of the country. So how will the Southeast as a whole be excluded?

And we also told him about so many other things that have happened that have shown us that he is completely blind to the feelings of the Southeast. Of course, after our discussion, he promised that they’re going to look into it. But up till today, nothing has come out of it. We also told him very clearly that the agitations that they see and the feelings of the younger elements in the Southeast are feelings of alienation. And that feeling of agitations is making people say why don’t we have our own country? If you don’t want us, let’s go. And we felt that if you need to build a more inclusive nation, then you must be sensitive to the feelings of every component part of this nation.

And we still stand by those feelings that we’re not being well treated within the country, and it’s very pervading on the whole side. I think Ohanaeze under John Ninia Nwodo has very clearly articulated it. Several other groupings and organization have also articulated it very, very clearly to say if you want us to be part of what you’re doing then bring us into the tent, don’t put us outside of the tent...

Read more http://alabingo.com/2017/06/biafra-agitation…-senator-abaribe/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Ngokafor(f): 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
...Senator Abaribe,you are spot on...We must get our fair share in this country or we walk...no apologies and no two ways about it.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by greenermodels: 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2017
kk
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by irsakant: 7:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
It is only in Nigeria that some disgruntled minds perceive self-determination as sin.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Ojiofor: 7:56pm On Jun 05, 2017
The best senator ride on we are solidly behind you.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by EmeeNaka: 8:08pm On Jun 05, 2017
Abaribe and Ekweremmadu has been quite outstanding in their legislative duties.
Ride on Sir!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ride on senator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by greenermodels: 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
please how can my junior brother effect a change of course and institution with Jamb,your help is really needed.
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by gberra: 8:19pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ngokafor:

...Senator Abaribe,you are spot on...We must get our fair share in this country or we walk...no apologies and no two ways about it.
I sincerely sympathize with you cheesy

Poor little Ipob shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Orjioorji(f): 9:38pm On Jun 05, 2017
gberra:

why not go and die if you don't like her post ewu Zambia

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by dadavivo: 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2017
Afonjas will soon arrive, just watch

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by conductor3: 9:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
[s]
gberra:
[/s]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by perfectchoice(f): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
I love u for these words of wisdom.
Thank u sir.
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by perfectchoice(f): 10:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sir u need to lecture the likes of Chris Ngige. They have sold their birth right.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
That's a fact. It is justified by all standards. I'm simply worried about the methods being employed to press home the 'goal'
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 05, 2017
gberra:

stop being a nuisance here.

An important discuss is going on here but you are acting 2go play here. Plz grow u.

Ride on Senator Abaribe

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by gberra: 11:25pm On Jun 05, 2017
Kathmandu:
stop being a nuisance here.

An important discuss is going on here but you are acting 2go play here. Plz grow u.

Ride on Senator Abaribe
See who's talking. I swearigod, to flog you dey hungry me.
Next time you don't jump in my face like a desert ninny

- Burn Yourself
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by obailala(m): 7:22am On Jun 06, 2017
Still can't understand why the 2nd Nuger bridge had to be concessioned; in otherwords, Igbos are being made to pay for the bridge. That has got to be the best example of cheating of the SE.
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Fx55(m): 8:39am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:
Still can't understand why the 2nd Nuger bridge had to be concessioned; in otherwords, Igbos are being made to pay for the bridge. That has got to be the best example of cheating of the SE.
Really?

Thank God all of una eyes don dey gradually open. One Nigeria is a hoax
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by obailala(m): 8:42am On Jun 06, 2017
Fx55:
Really?

Thank God all of una eyes don dey gradually open. One Nigeria is a hoax
Yeah its sad, but the real issue that bothers the mind is, what were the SE caucus of the NASS, the SE governors forum, ohaneze etc doing when that decision was taken?.... It's never too late though.
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Bondesniger(m): 8:44am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:
Yeah its sad, but the real issue that bothers the mind is, what were the SE caucus of the NASS, the SE governors forum, ohaneze etc doing when that decision was taken?.... It's never too late though.
shocked
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Fx55(m): 8:55am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:
What happened with the South-East Development Commission Bill? It was shouted down and overruled by the Speaker and his Northern accomplices.

One Nigeria is a big scam. Our Reps already said it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYV0D4ccffY

If you understand the reason why there has been a systematic and deliberate underdevelopment of the South-East region, you'll definitely think twice before taking some of your anti-Igbo stance

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by obailala(m): 9:57am On Jun 06, 2017
Fx55:
What happened with the South-East Development Commission Bill? It was shouted down and overruled by the Speaker and his Northern accomplices.

If you understand the reason why there has been a systematic and deliberate underdevelopment of the South-East region, you'll definitely think twice before taking some of your anti-Igbo stance
'Igbo enweghi eze!' is a statement we proudly recite, but the fact is that it isn't necessarily a virtue. In fact, this very ideology is the reason why the Igbo nation has been unable to 'play the game' the way its mates (other big tribes) do. It's simple explains why ndigbo have been unable to unite to work towards any common good and this is one big factor which has deprived us of our rightful share in the national cake for decades.

Using the example of the SEDC, of course the SW and the north (and even possibly the SS) shouted it down because obviously, they don't think it would benefit them in anyway (not necessarily because they want to punish Igbos). Scratch my back and I scratch yours cos there are no brothers in the jungle and nothing goes for nothing; this is the most basic ideology which anyone involved in politics globally knows. Before NEDC motion was raised, you can bet the individual who originated it must have extensively discussed it with his colleagues across all the northern zones and even some southern zones. In fact, by virtue of the default UNITY and understanding the different northern zones have, the originator of that motion may not have even needed to discuss it first with his colleagues. But we all know the south hasn't got that sort of synergy at all.

Now a few questions which bug my mind, did the originator of the SEDC discuss the bill with fellow SE reps before raising it in the house?... Did the SE caucus discuss the proposed bill with even the SS reps?... Was any single hand of fellowship extended to SW reps or even sympathetic north central reps before the bill was brought on the floor?... If at all it was discussed with non-SE reps, were offers of 'potential mutual benefit' made to the non-SE reps for them to support the idea (sometimes this could even involve outright cash inducements)?... Remember nothing goes for nothing in the jungle. In fact, on the day the motion was raised on the floor, did we even have up to 30% of the total number of SE reps in attendance?.. I doubt this from the number seen in that video... These are the sort of questions which bug my mind when I think of the failure of the bill, not the usual "they are ganging up against us" attitude. Are we playing the right politics the Nigerian way?

I'm not a person to engage in endless self pity or dwell in endless paranoia believing that everyone else is scheming one thing or the other against me; I am totally not configured to just blame blame blame everyone else for my problems. I just believe everyone else is in a jungle to hustle for themselves and their people and they owe no one else anything. That's exactly what the other big tribes have been doing for themselves and their people and the Igbos need to try and do the same, play the same game our mates are playing, scheme, manipulate, blackmail and most importantly, create mutually beneficial alliances; that is exactly what politics is. Cos as they say, "na cooperation na him make rice full pot," no man can succeed as an island.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Fx55(m): 10:14am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:
'Igbo enweghi eze!' is a statement we proudly recite, but the fact is that it isn't necessarily a virtue. In fact, this very ideology is the reason why the Igbo nation has been unable to 'play the game' the way its mates (other big tribes) do. It's simple explains why ndigbo have been unable to unite to work towards any common good and this is one big factor which has deprived us of our rightful share in the national cake for decades.

Using the example of the SEDC, of course the SW and the north (and even possibly the SS) shouted it down because obviously, they don't think it would benefit them in anyway (not necessarily because they want to punish Igbos). Scratch my back and I scratch yours cos there are no brothers in the jungle and nothing goes for nothing; this is the most basic ideology which anyone involved in politics globally knows. Before NEDC motion was raised, you can bet the individual who originated it must have extensively discussed it with his colleagues across all the northern zones and even some southern zones. In fact, by virtue of the default UNITY and understanding the different northern zones have, the originator of that motion may not have even needed to discuss it first with his colleagues. But we all know the south hasn't got that sort of synergy at all.

Now a few questions which bug my mind, did the originator of the SEDC discuss the bill with fellow SE reps before raising it in the house?... Did the SE caucus discuss the proposed bill with even the SS reps?... Was any single hand of fellowship extended to SW reps or even sympathetic north central reps before the bill was brought on the floor?... If at all it was discussed with non-SE reps, were offers of 'potential mutual benefit' made to the non-SE reps for them to support the idea (sometimes this could even involve outright cash inducements)?... Remember nothing goes for nothing in the jungle. In fact, on the day the motion was raised on the floor, did we even have up to 30% of the total number of SE reps in attendance?.. I doubt this from the number seen in that video... These are the sort of questions which bug my mind when I think of the failure of the bill, not the usual "they are ganging up against us" attitude. Are we playing the right politics the Nigerian way?

I'm not a person to engage in endless self pity or dwell in endless paranoia believing that everyone else is scheming one thing or the other against me; I am totally not configured to just blame blame blame everyone else for my problems. I just believe everyone else is in a jungle to hustle for themselves and their people and they owe no one else anything. That's exactly what the other big tribes have been doing for themselves and their people and the Igbos need to try and do the same, play the same game our mates are playing, scheme, manipulate, blackmail and most importantly, create mutually beneficial alliances; that is exactly what politics is. Cos as they say, "na cooperation na him make rice full pot," no man can succeed as an island.
I'm not sure you watched that video. You can choose to bury your head in the sand as usual but that's not the reality on ground. Contrary to what you might be telling yourself, the problem is much more deeper. It has nothing to do with the unity of the South-East or building any bridges with other regions. The issue we're dealing with is very base, primitive and primordial. I hope God will open your eyes to see things that are hidden.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by obailala(m): 11:12am On Jun 06, 2017
Fx55:
I'm not sure you watched that video. You can choose to bury your head in the sand as usual but that's not the reality on ground. Contrary to what you might be telling yourself, the problem is much more deeper. It has nothing to do with the unity of the South-East or building any bridges with other regions. The issue we're dealing with is very base, primitive and primordial. I hope God will open your eyes to see things that are hidden.
Nope, God has opened my eyes to see beyond the part you and many others see. I have completely deleted the part of my mind which keeps reminding me to feel paranoid cos I know that feeling only destroys my ability to properly strategise and achieve things. There was a time I saw things from your view, but I now view things beyond that level cos I have since dug my head up from that sand and advise you to do same. I watched the video, the full video when the motion was raised and when it was shouted down, and also the interview of the angry rep afterwards.

You claim the bill was thrown out because they hate Igbos. But spend a second and think about it (of course without the 'they hate Igbos' mindset); can you give me one single reason why the northern or SW or even the SS reps should have supported the motion?.... Cos from my own understanding of politics and politicians worldwide, they only go for things they feel would benefit either their people, or at least their personal pockets. Recently a Lagos senator Remi Tinubu raised a somewhat similar motion for Lagos to be given a 'special status' (whatever that means) given its national coverage and its population. The bill was similarly shouted down. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lagos senators and representatives are now doing behind the scenes lobbying/bribing and striking deals with legislators from other states/zones (including even Igbo legislators) in preparation for the next time they would present that bill.

You say it has nothing to do with unity or alliances?... Fa fa fa foul! and this is exactly where millions of Igbos keep missing it, thinking we can survive and even prosper as a disunited island. The only reason a similar bill like that can be successful for the north is because (1) The 3 northern zones are wonderfully united and (2) The north, after it agrees with itself, will easily stretch out a hand of fellowship to the SW (and to even some Igbo reps), offering one incentive or the other (i.e. BUILDING BRIDGES), and the SW would simply support the idea because it believes it can gain something from the deal.

A lot of Igbos need to wake up from this 'they hate us and want to punish us' mentality which keeps tying us down from scheming like our mates are doing; everyone else out there is simply hustling for themselves, no one likes/loves anyone and no one owes anyone else anything.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by pazienza(m): 11:26am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:
Nope, God has opened my eyes to see beyond the part you and many others see. I have completely deleted the part of my mind which keeps reminding me to feel paranoid cos I know that feeling only destroys my ability to properly strategise and achieve things. There was a time I saw things from your view, but I now view things beyond that level cos I have since dug my head up from that sand and advise you to do same. I watched the video, the full video when the motion was raised and when it was shouted down, and also the interview of the angry rep afterwards.

You claim the bill was thrown out because they hate Igbos. But spend a second and think about it (of course without the 'they hate Igbos' mindset); can you give me one single reason why the northern or SW or even the SS reps should have supported the motion?.... Cos from my own understanding of politics and politicians worldwide, they only go for things they feel would benefit either their people, or at least their personal pockets. Recently a Lagos senator Remi Tinubu raised a somewhat similar motion for Lagos to be given a 'special status' (whatever that means) given its national coverage and its population. The bill was similarly shouted down. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lagos senators and representatives are now doing behind the scenes lobbying/bribing and striking deals with legislators from other states/zones (including even Igbo legislators) in preparation for the next time they would present that bill.

You say it has nothing to do with unity or alliances?... Fa fa fa foul! and this is exactly where millions of Igbos keep missing it, thinking we can survive and even prosper as a disunited island. The only reason a similar bill like that can be successful for the north is because (1) The 3 northern zones are wonderfully united and (2) The north, after it agrees with itself, will easily stretch out a hand of fellowship to the SW (and to even some Igbo reps), offering one incentive or the other (i.e. BUILDING BRIDGES), and the SW would simply support the idea because it believes it can gain something from the deal.

A lot of Igbos need to wake up from this 'they hate us and want to punish us' mentality which keeps tying us down from scheming like our mates are doing; everyone else out there is simply hustling for themselves, no one likes/loves anyone and no one owes anyone else anything.

Lol, never have I seen such a large bunch of garbage assembled in one post.

Considering you were amongst those who felt the removal of SE from the proposed Chinese loan project was ok, since Ndiigbo had in your demonic opinion not been complaining of other injustice they suffered in Nigeria before then, I am not surprise seeing you writing such a senseless verbose post.

I'd be back to address all the halftruths and falsehoods inherent in this you heap of garbage as usual.

6 Likes

Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by ProWalker: 11:32am On Jun 06, 2017
So the whole agitation is all about getting more prominence within the Fed govt and not because they actually think that Nigeria is not working?
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by ProWalker: 11:35am On Jun 06, 2017
Fx55:

The same HoR members that connived to install Dogara ?
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 06, 2017
obailala:

oga i na ama tuu..

ngogheri..
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by obailala(m): 1:48pm On Jun 06, 2017
pazienza:

Lol, never have I seen such a large bunch of garbage assembled in one post.

Considering you were amongst those who felt the removal of SE from the proposed Chinese loan project was ok, since Ndiigbo had in your demonic opinion not been complaining of other injustice they suffered in Nigeria before then, I am not surprise seeing you writing such a senseless verbose post.

I'd be back to address all the halftruths and falsehoods inherent in this you heap of garbage as usual.
Please do...
Re: Biafra Agitation Is Justified- Senator Abaribe by Fx55(m): 2:17pm On Jun 06, 2017
ProWalker:
The same HoR members that connived to install Dogara ?
Dogara or Lasun, the outcome would've still been the same. It has always been Nigeria against the Igbos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fani-kayode Mocks Buhari After US Government Declared IPOB Not Terrorist Organiz / Are Nigerians Finally Catching Up To Igbos? / Lagos State Introducing Rtv(radio,television) Levy Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.