Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Damaged Butterfly - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Damaged Butterfly (23222 Views)

The Last In The Butterfly Series / Damaged By The System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 12:58am On Jun 28, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Obinna was dumbfounded,he knew Alhaji Abubakar would retaliate but he wasn't expecting a violent reaction.
"Tell me Kunle,are you exaggerating this whole story or..."
Kunle cut him short.
"I'm not exggerating anything.Go look down the street if you dont believe me."
When Kunle left,Obinna strode towards the street.He saw the violent angry mob and rushed back into the house.
He started packing.There was no time to waste,if he leaves on time he might catch up with the bus heading to Onitcha.Kano was not safe for him anymore.He had calculated every move ever since Aisha got pregnant.He knew the secret wouldn't last long so he planned to escape to Onitcha if he couldn't take the heat.
The only problem was his uncle.He had not talked to him about his troubles.He was waiting for the right but it seemed like the right time came too late.
The angry mob were at the gate already.He could hear their noise.
His uncle was asleep and he had to wake him and then give him reasons why he should leave his and flee.It would sound crazy but he had no choice.
"Uncle,uncle" Obinna called,he barged into his uncle's room and shook him vigorously.
"Uncle wake up now"
The old man managed to wake up and rub his eyes.
"Obinna what is it?"
"We have to pack our bags and run"
"Run?...run to where?...what is going on?"
"There is no time,i'll explain everything on the way.I promise but right now we need to go"

Obinna started packing his uncle's valuables into a suitcase but the sound of metal made him stop.
He ran to window and peeped outside.The mob had broken through the locked gate and were advancing towards the house.Their blazing torches lit up the dark compound and their cutlasses glittered like it was brand new.
Obinna shut all the doors and windows.
His uncle had jumped up from his bed when he heard the sound.
The windows were well protected with iron bars but the doors wouldn't last very long.Obinna pushed their dinning table and back it against the door.
"Obinna tell me what is going on" his uncle asked him again.
"Uncle now is not the time.We have to get out of here"
His uncle got angry and restless.
"We are not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on" he said.
"Uncle i...erm.." Obinna stammered."I put a Fulani girl in the family way and now her father is coming to get me"

"Obinna forget the euphenism...you got a girl pregnant...when..how? His uncle asked.

Alhaji Abubakar's voice came on,he had a megaphone to his mouth.His was sweating profusely and fuming with rage.The irate youths that accompanied him were hurling verbal assaults at Obinna in their plastered hausa.
Alhaji raised the megaphone and began.
"Obinna you know what you did.You decieved my daughter,you led her astray and then you got her pregnant.You have messed up her life,you have damaged her.She is now in hospital,pale and helpless.The little girl i raised,my only daughter.You have succeeded in destroying her life.But i want you to know..that nobody trifles with me.Nobody trifles with Alhaji Abubakar and goes unpunished.
Obinna your judgement day has arrived,come out and face it like a man.You are the only one that i want,no one else has to get hurt.Dont waste my time,dont play games with me or else i will burn down this building and hurt your family and everyone you care about.You are sorrounded,there is no way to run.Come out and face your punishment.You have 3 minutes to oblige or else my boys will break down your doors and get you."

Obinna heaved a sigh.His uncle was too shocked to scold him.
"Obinna you have killed me.I didn't know you were messing around with girls.Your mother would so dissapointed in you.You have brought shame to our family.This is Kano not Onitcha,this city belongs to them not us.You dont go around sleeping with their girls...God what have i done to deserve this?" his uncle cried.

"You're right uncle.You dont deserve this.I will go out and face my punishment" Obinna said.He stood up to leave but his uncle held him.
"What are doing Obinna,those people will hurt you or worse,kill you"

"I hurt Aisha.I wont let anyone else get hurt because of my mistakes.I have to do this" Obinna said and stepped outside.

Alhaji froze when he saw him.
"I have to admit,i didn't think you were brave enough to come out" he said and cracked a sinister smile.
"I'm the only one you want.My uncle goes free.Do we have a deal? Obinna asked.
"You are in no position to bargain but i'll let him go anyway"
The irate youths grabbed Obinna and tied him with ropes.They carried him on their shoulders and made to leave.
"Obinna you cant do this" his uncle screamed."Please Alhaji dont kill my nephew" he sank to his knees begging.
"I wont kill him but i'll make him wish he were dead" Alhaji said.

Before they left,the angry youths littered the house with petrol and set it on fire.
Obinna's uncle watched helplessly as his house razed down with fire.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 8:57am On Jun 28, 2017
Alhaji, have mercy nah. Kilode?
Re: Damaged Butterfly by empress101(f): 9:57am On Jun 28, 2017
sad
Re: Damaged Butterfly by obafemylegacy(m): 3:02pm On Jun 28, 2017
HAABA TOO BAD, SORRY ,HUMN PELE OOOOO
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Obinna's uncle had taken refuge in a neighbour's house.When Alhaji left,he tried contacting the fire service with his neighbour's telephone.People had gathered and many of them tried quenching the fire with water drawn from the well.It took time but gradually the fire was stopped from spreading to nearby houses.The fire service finally came but it was too late.The inferno had razed down the house and destroyed many valuable properties inside.
Obinna's uncle was sad.He had never expirienced such traumatic event before.He went into the wrecked house to check if he could salvage anything.He looked around him and sank to knees.Everything in the house was destroyed.This was a house he built from the scratch during his early years in kano but it took Alhaji and his goons a little time to reduce it to ruins.The house was lost but his business was still alive.He had shops in the market and a warehouse stocked with goods worth a lot money.He was more worried about his nephew.Obinna had been taken away and he was reluctant to contact Obinna's mother.It was only a matter of time before she knew what happened.Poor woman.She would be devastated.She had lost a husband and now her first son?...God forbid!...He prayed for Obinna's safety.Alhaji said he wouldn't kill him but he would definitely hurt him.These fulani people can be very violent.He had to try everything in his power to find his nephew.
He was lost in thoughts until he heard sirens blaring.His neighbours had called the police.He stood up and stroded outside to meet them.Two police vans were parked in the compound.Three officers were interviewing his neighbours and eye witnesses.A macho man sat in a corner,smoking cigar.He must be the leader.Obinna's uncle walked over to him and greeted him.
"Officer thanks for coming" he said.
"Please call me Detective Yakubu"
They shook hands.
"I heard your son was abducted" Yakubu said throwing his cigar away.
"He's my nephew and the criminal....his name is Alhaji Abubakar.He has some sort of vendetta against my nephew" Obinna's uncle said.
"What kind of vendetta?"
"My nephew Obinna impregnanted his only daughter.The man didn't take the situation very lightly.He came with some irate youths and destroyed my house"
Detective Yakubu heaved a sigh.He had encountered such situatations before.
"Do you have any idea where Alhaji must have taken Obinna?
Is there anything you can tell us about this Alhaji" Yakubu asked.
"I dont know him personally.I only know his face and his name.He lives a few blocks away but his house is empty.I heard he's a butcher at the market" Obinna's uncle replied.
"Okay...that's allright.I assure you the police will do everything possible to find your nephew.What about Alhaji's daughter?"
"Her name is Aisha.I met her once at the christmas party.She's in a hospital now.Rumors have it that she had some complication with her preganancy."
Yakubu chuckled and heaved a sigh.
"If there is anyone that can help us find Obinna,it's her.We need to talk to her"
Obinna's uncle smiled.There was still hope of finding him.He prayed that Aisha would give useful information.
A press van had arrived and journalists were pacing from one corner to another,trying to get the juicy story for their newspaper.They flocked around Obinna's uncle the moment they saw him.The pressure was too much and Yakubu felt uncomfortable.
"Sir,tell us what you know about the abduction.Does the police have any lead on the culprits?" they asked.
Obinna's uncle had no time. For them.He and Yakubu manuvered their way through the crowd until they got to the police van.
They drove off immediately for the hospital.
Detective Yakubu was humming along to one of the Onyeka Onwenu's songs blasting from his car radio.
He seemed relaxed and confident.
'He must have dealt with cases like this before' Obinna's uncle thought to himself.
The journey to hospital was strenous.They had to bear the traffic jam they encountered on their way.
-----------------------------------------

Aisha was sipping an energy drink when Obinna's uncle barged into the room with Detective Yakubu.
Aisha froze in fear.She knew Obinna's uncle.He was sweating profusely and looked restless.
The sight of Detective Yakubu in police uniform made her uncomfortable.
She put two and two together and came to conclusion that her father had done something to Obinna.She prayed for his safety.
Her father was a very reckless man and when his emotions are left unchecked,he could do something bad.
Obinna's uncle came closer to Aisha and glared at her with fiery eyes.
"I know you.My nephew brought you to the christmas party.I welcomed you into my house with open arms but little did i know that you're just a ticking time bomb about to blow.I dont know what went wrong with you and Obinna but your father has abducted him and now i'm begging you.....where is my nephew?"
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2017
More updates coming up....
Re: Damaged Butterfly by abefe99: 12:21pm On Jun 29, 2017
unhmnn nawahoo tribes wahala
Re: Damaged Butterfly by EvaJael(f): 3:19pm On Jun 29, 2017
Why is Alhaji acting like the boy raped his daughter? He's not the only one to blame. Both of them went into it with their eyes wide open
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 7:05pm On Jun 29, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Aisha sighed and dropped the bombshell.
"I dont know where my father could have taken Obinna"
Obinna's uncle and Detective Yakubu were flabbegasted and dissapointed at the same time.
Obinna's uncle almost flared up in anger but Detective Yakubu held him.
"You need to calm down.There is still hope" he said.
"If she doesn't know her father's whereabouts then who will?" Obinna's uncle said.
"You need to calm down and let me ask the questions" Detective Yakubu said reassuringly.
He turned his gaze to Aisha and began.
"Young lady you say you dont know your father's whereabouts?
He asked.
"I dont know,i swear" she replied.
"You dont have to know but you can give me some locations.Where could your father have taken him?
Do you know any building or place that your father normally goes to?

"Yes,he owns a shop at the market.There is also a place where he goes everyday to collect the meat he sells and there are warehouses where he normally keep his goods"

"Good.Can you give us the exact location of these werehouses?"

"Yes ofcourse" Aisha asked for a pen and paper.She scribbled down the locations and handed it to Detective Yakubu.
"Thank you very much,Aisha" he said and made to leave.
Obinna's uncle went closer to Aisha's bedside and said.
"Look Aisha,i know that this pregnancy is not your fault.It was the outcome of a consensual act and Obinna is also at fault."
"I'm glad you see it that way sir" Aisha replied.
If only Alhaji Abubakar saw it that way,things would be different.
"But that will not stop the police from prosecting your father.He must face the wrath of the law for what he has done to me and my nephew" he said.
"I'm okay with that.I hope you find Obinna and when you do,tell him i'm sorry" Aisha said.

Detective Yakubu assembled a handful of heavily armed police officers to look for the Obinna.
He adressed them,reminding them the importance of their mission.
"This is the boy we are looking for"
he brought out a photo of Obinna and showed his officers.
"Keep your eyes peeled out for him and remember,if you sight the boy or the culprits do not engage.Alert the rest of the search party and together we take them out quietly."
They zoomed off immediately in search of the boy.They had 7 major places to search.So they spread out with a couple of officers going off to each location.
They set out with confidence.If Alhaji was stupid enough,Obinna would be found before sunset.
That was what they thought but they couldn't find him.
The sun was already setting and they had to had to find Obinna before nightfall.
Obinna's uncle was restless and he paced the floor aimlessly,staring into space.
All the locations had been searched except one.A major warehouse where Alhaji Abubakar stored his goods.
One of the officers spied the building.When they were sure that the culprits were inside,they sorrounded it.
Detective Yakubu took his megaphone and cleared his throat.
"Alhaji Abubakar,we know you are in there.We have confirmation.
Come out immediately with your hands in the air and i swear on my badge you will not be harmed."

Alhaji Abubakar was terrified when he heard the message on the megaphone.He thought the police would never find him.He made sure of that,not many people knew about his warehouse except Aisha ofcourse.
"That girl exposed me!" he screamed in anger.
His goons were afraid of arrest too.Their cutlass and clubs were no match for pistols the policemen carried.
"What do we do now,boss?" they asked.
"We use the boy as leverage.We exchange him for our freedom" he replied.
"Sorry boss but the boy is hurt very bad.He's unconcious now"
Alhaji got angry,he stroded to where Obinna lay.He was badly tortured.
"I told you boys to take it easy on him.I hope he is still alive.If he dies,i'll go to jail for murder" he said.
Alhaji went on scolding his thugs and ranting about how he has lost his leverage but they were interrupted when Obinna's uncle announced on the megaphone.
"Alhaji Abubakar release my nephew now.You are sorrounded,you have nowhere to run.It's game over for you.Come out now."
Detective Yakubu was growing impatient,he grabbed the megaphone and said.
"Alhaji you have till the count of ten to come out with your hands in the air or else my officers will break your door and attack you.You may not survive it,you better come out now or..."
He was interrupted when the door swung open and Alhaji followed by his goons came out,head bowed and hands in the air.
Obinna's uncle was relieved,he ran into the warehouse and searched frantically for Obinna.
He found him lying on the floor in one corner of the warehouse.He was shirtless,there was a handful of cuts and bruises on his body.One of the cuts went deep into his body,blood was oozing out.He was hurt pretty bad.
His uncle checked his pulse and heartbeat and cried.
"Oh my God he's not breathing,he's not breathing...Obinna please wake up,wake up!"
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2017
Another update coming up....
Re: Damaged Butterfly by nihinlolawa24(f): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2017
Tanx for d update. May God increase u in knowledge and wisdom. waiting for DAT update u promised*winks*
Re: Damaged Butterfly by Adikij(f): 9:16pm On Jun 29, 2017
Good work keep it up am loving every bit waiting for the next update
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Detective Yakubu ran over to an unconcious Obinna.
"What happened?"
"He's not breathing...i checked his pulse,heartbeat...nothing"
An ambulance arrived and Obinna was carried on a stretcher into the ambulance.Luckily the ambulance was well equipped for emergencies like a near death expirience.One of the doctors in the ambulance pressed his chest repeatedly to revive him but nothing changed on the monitor.
"His hearbeat is not coming up...we need to start electric cardioversion." he said.
He plugged in the cardioverter machine and charged the paddles.He placed the paddles on Obinna's chest.
"3,2,1..." the paddles gave Obinna the shock but nothing changed on the monitor.
"Increase the volts,we need to bring him back now or he's lost forever" Obinna uncle said.
The doctor increased the volts and shocked him again.
The monitor started beeping and his heart rate came up.
"He's back" the doctor announced.
The medical team heaved a sigh of relief.
"Thank God!" Obinna's uncle exclaimed.
---------

Alhaji Abubakar was led to the police van like a sheep to slaughter.
"You're under arrest Alhaji for the abduction and torture of...."
"I know what i did,you dont have to tell me" Alhaji blustered with bloodshot eyes.
"You have the right to remain silent for every word you utter will be used against you in the court of law" Detective Yakubu bantered.
"I know my rights officer." Alhaji replied.
"I am Alhaji Abubakar son of Mallam Shehu Muhammed,a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio.No prison can hold me,nothing can stop me!"

"Shut up Alhaji,we have enough evidence to put you away for good"
Alhaji was bundled into one of the police vans with his goons and they were driven off to jail.

Detective Yakubu took one of the police cars and headed to the hospital.
When he got there he met a distraught Obinna's uncle in the waiting room.
"Officer i'm so glad to see you,thank you for all your help.I couldn't have found my nephew without you" he said.
The two men shook hands and sat down.
"How is your nephew?" Detective Yakubu asked.
"He's alive but he's still unconcious.The doctors patched him up and blood is being supplied into his system" Obinna's uncle replied.
"How long is he going to be out?"
"That is what the doctors are trying to decipher.They told me that Obinna went into coma.He could be out for a few weeks."
Detective Yakubu heaved a sigh of relief and patted Obinna's uncle on the back.
"Dont worry,your nephew will be fine.Meanwhile we have Alhaji Abubakar.We will press charges against him,all we need is a written statement from you which will be sent to the court."
"I'll get you the staement as soon as possible" Obinna's uncle said."Once again thank you very much Detective Yakubu.
"I'm just doing my job and erm...remember to tell that girl about the situation.I bet she's worried" The detective bid him farewell and drove off to the police station.
Obinna uncle sighed and went to see Aisha.The girl deserved to know what was going on.

She was awake when Obinna's uncle opened the door.She sat up on the bed and greeted the man.
"What happened to my father?" she asked.
"The police arrested him together with his goons.He will be charged to court for abduction and destruction of property.You can visit him in prison." he replied.
"What about Obinna?"
"Your father tortured him,he almost killed.When we arrived he wasn't breathing but we managed to keep him alive.He is in coma."
"Sir i apologize for any pain my father and i may have caused you.I wish i could go back and change things but..."
Obinna's uncle interrupted her.
"I forgive you.I hold no grudges,i'm a christian" he said.
Aisha felt sorry for Obinna.She blamed herself and her father for what happened.She was glad that Obinna was still alive.As for her father,she wont see him anytime soon.They were better off apart.He had caused so much pain and misery for others.She couldn't heap all the blame on him.She was the root cause of the problem and now with her pregnancy and her loneliness,she wished Obinna was there to wipe the tears off her face and tell her that everything is going to be okay.
The doctor barged in and greeted Obinna's uncle.
"Sir...i dont know how to break this news.Your nephew will recover slowly" he said.
"What does that mean?" Aisha asked.
"It means that he could stay in coma for about...six to seven months.I'm sorry"
Obinna's uncle shook his head and said "seven months?..that is long but i'll wait and i'll continue to pray for him"
Aisha was sad.A seven month coma meant that Obinna wont be around to support her till her delivery.
"The other day he came to the hospital" the doctor said and fished out a paper from his pocket.
"He left this note for you"
Aisha collected it and opened it.
The note said: AISHA I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME BUT I WANT YOU TO GO TO ONITCHA.MY FAMILY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU...AND THE BABY.

Tears flowed down Aisha's cheeks.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:36pm On Jun 29, 2017
nihinlolawa24:
Tanx for d update. May God increase u in knowledge and wisdom. waiting for DAT update u promised*winks*

Amen oo...thank you very much.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:37pm On Jun 29, 2017
nihinlolawa24:

Amen oo...thank you very much. wink
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2017
abefe99:
unhmnn nawahoo tribes wahala

grin The inter tribal issue is just a tool to advance the story to the main plot...Aisha's adventure is just getting started. cool lipsrsealed
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 2:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER NINETEEN

Aisha closed her eyes and tried to focus her mind on something else.She was tense and the ceiling fan in the theater didn't make her present situation any better.The doctor muttered some encouraging words and tried to keep her calm.Her heart seemed to pound against her rib cages.An awkward silence enveloped the room,her heartbeat could be heard in the interlude.The nurses and doctors looked awkward in their surgical mask,the mask did a very good job of covering the uncertainty that was written on their faces.Or so she thought.She wished Obinna was there to encourage her.Every woman passes through this expirience but unlike her's there was little emotional support.She felt alone.secluded in her her own shell like a snail.Fighting her own battles like a gladiator in the ring.She tried to think of the past.Each step she took,since Obinna arrived Kano,has led to this exact same moment.Every event was connected like a chain,with one thing leading to another,one decision leading to mistake and then there she was in the maternity ward,about to give birth.To complete the cycle of the reproductive process she began with Obinna on that night,at the christmas party.

It's been seven months.Seven months since she took the abortion pills and blew the big secret.Seven months since she faced a near-death encounter.Seven months since her father got arrested.Seven months since Obinna...went into coma.
Those seven months has been depressing for her.Her father was in prison,Obinna was comatose and she was alone.She managed the pregnancy on her own.Obinna's uncle offered to help but she declined his offer.She has caused enough damages already and she didn't want to be a burden to anyone.She went about her daily business on her own.She continued going to market where she sold meat.Her belly was getting bigger but that didn't stop her.She would go the well to fetch water,carry heavy gallons even with her pregnancy.She did her chores and did menial jobs for people to earn extra cash.
But that didn't help her reputation one bit.She had become famous on the street.'Aisha the pregnant teenager'...that was what people called her.Many people avoided her like a leper.Mothers used her as an example to warn their own teenage girls.People gossiped and called her names behind her back.Nobody wanted to be close to her.She had no friends.The discrimination,stigmatisation and ridicule she faced everyday didn't deter her.She wasn't suprised at all.People were like that.When a man falls,he is trampled by society.Nobody wants to have anything to do with failure.
It was like seeing a dying girl on the street and instead of offering help,people would turn around and walk away.The world had changed,it was every man for himself.
Seven months passed and Aisha didn't bother to visit her father in prison.Detective Yakubu had given her a free pass,to see her father whenever she wanted to but she didn't.Her father was nothing but a constant reminder of her own mistakes and now as she lay on the hospital bed,she could think of nothing less.

Aisha gritted her teeth and bit her lower lip in agony.The doctors tried to hold her down.The baby was almost out.
"I'm scared,i cant do this" she cried.
"Yes you can.All you have to do is push.Push with all your strength." The doctor said.
Aisha wasn't listening.She was getting tired.She doubted if she could push again.
"I'm getting tired" she moaned.
"This is not the time to get tired,you have to push.It's now or never" the doctor replied.
Aisha closed her eyes and prayed silently to Almighty Allah.She shook her head and cried out in agony.If she wasn't delivered now,she would have to go through cesarean operation.She was afraid of that as well.
Her vision was blurred as tears welled in her eyes.She was sweating profusely.
"Come on young lady,you have to do this.You just have to believe in yourself" the doctor said.
"But i cant do it.I dont have strength." she whispered.
"Yes you do.Just take time to relax for a moment" the doctor encouraged her"....now breathe in,breathe out,...breathe in...breathe out.."
Aisha inhalled and exhalled slowly.She tried to relax.She couldn't do it while worrying about her condition.She tried to focus on something else.
She thought of Obinna,the good times they spent together.The smile on his face.The security she felt whenever she was around him.The love in his eyes.If he was beside her now,all he would do is encourage her.Would she dissapoint him and give up?....NO!

Aisha tightened her grip on the matrasse and bit her lower lip.She breathed in and pushed with the last ounce of strength in her body.

The baby slipped out and she was left gasping for breath.The doctor and his nurses smiled and congratulated her.
One of the nurses wrapped the baby in a napkin and carried it to its mother.
Aisha stared at her baby.The bundle of frustration has become a bundle of joy.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 2:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
More updates coming up... cool
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY

Aisha held the baby in her arms.The joy she felt was unimaginable.
"She is a girl" the doctor announced with a smile on his face."a beautiful baby girl indeed"
"What is her name?" one of the nurses asked.
"I will call her Nneoma" Aisha replied.
"That is a beautiful name but you are Hausa-Fulani and the name sounds different" the doctor said.
"My mother is Igbo.I named her after my mother.Nneoma means 'good mother' ." she replied.
"Oh such a beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl.She looks so much like you" the nurse commented.
The baby girl resembled Aisha even though she had Obinna's eyes.
"Naguode Allah" Aisha said as she lifted her eyes unto heavens in thanksgiving to Almighty Allah.
"Indeed, the Almighty Allah has been good to us.I didn't think the delivery would be easy but by Allah's grace,everything worked out well" the doctor said.
Her pain was over.That heavy burden she carried everyday for nine months was finally out.The baby was termed a mistake at the begining,a frustration.The reason she took the abortion pills,the same thing that caused so much anger and pain to her father,driving him to madness and landing him in prison.This was the reason why Obinna is in coma and his uncle's house was burnt.This little baby may have caused so much trouble but now the more Aisha looked at her baby,the more she saw the bigger picture.The pregnancy or the baby did not cause all that pain and agony,rather it was the choices she made,the decisions her father took that brought forth the frustration.
If she had the chance to go back in time,she could alter some of her actions but never would she take out her frustration and anger on this innocent baby.
Aisha wondered how her angry father would feel if he saw the baby.Would he continue blaming her and Obinna...certainly not!
The time for that was long gone and she could only hope for better days ahead.Things were indeed looking up for her.
Aisha wished Obinna was there to witness the birth of their child.He had lasted seven months in coma,just as the doctors said he would.If their predictions were anything to go by,he would wake up anytime soon.
Obinna's uncle has been very supportive as of late.He bought clothes,cosmetics and other provisions for the newborn.The baby girl,Nneoma is part of his family too and by the time Obinna woke up,he would be proud.
Aisha spent the next six days at the hospital recuperating.She thought she was ready to leave the hospital and return home but the doctor insisted on her staying back till she was officially discharged.

Four days after her delivery ,Obinna's uncle barged into her ward looking worried and ill at ease.
Aisha greeted him and braced up for the unknown.Obinna's uncle had been going to court because of Alhaji Abubakar.The man was charged for arson and attempted murder but things dont always turn out like it should.
"How is baby Nneoma?" he asked.
"She is asleep now" Aisha replied.
Obinna's uncle approached the newborn baby and caressed her face.She looked so innocent and beautiful.The doctors say she seldom cried.It was amazing,perhaps she knew of her mother's struggle and decided not to bother her with crying.
"I need to tell you something Aisha" Obinna's uncle said.
"Yes,what is it?" Aisha asked.
"He won the case" Obinna's uncle muttered under his breath as he paced the room to and fro.
"What do you mean?" Aisha asked.
"The judge granted him bail.....i dont know how he did it but i think he must have bribed his way through" he replied.
"That's not possible.The charges against him were very strong.He was supposed to stay in prison for a while longer" she said.
"Nothing is impossible in a corrupt country like Nigeria.The judges are neck deep into this vicious cycle of corruption.It is very difficult to find justice in a corrupt system" he said fuming under his breath.
"Are you saying he bribed the judge to turn the case around" she asked.
"Yes, the judge definitely collected bribe from your father so that he could be granted bail" he replied.
Aisha froze in fear.If her father was granted bail then he would be at the hospital to see her anytime soon.Seeing him was the last thing she wanted.After the incident with Obinna,she hated her father with every venom inside her body.She couldn't blame him for everything,afterall the problem started with her but the way he handled it made everything worse.She wished he could stay longer in prison.
"When is he getting released" Aisha asked.
"Today,maybe tomorrow" Obinna's uncle replied.
Aisha heaved a sigh and covered her face with her hands in frustration.
There was a knock on the door.
"Yes,come in" Aisha said.She thought it was the doctor but as the visitor walked in,her eyes were full of hate and she regretted the last thing she said.
"Father!" she exclaimed.
Alhaji Abubakar grinned.
"Hello my daughter,long time no see"
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Aisha glared at her father with eyes of steel.The hatred she had for him was insurmontable and incomparable.She was fuming with rage as beads of sweat trickled down her face.If angry eyes were bullets,she would have fired a hundred into him.
Obinna's uncle sensed the tension in the room and quietly left.
Standing there in front of her was the man who caused so much pain and agony to her.The man who abducted Obinna,tortured him and rendered him comatose.The man who was inconsiderate to her condition,always ranting about his dissapointment and anger.The man who turned his back on his only daughter when she needed him the most.The man who was supposed to be a father and act like one but he chose thuggery to make himself feel better.
Aisha's rage was intensified by the fact that he stood there smiling like everything is okay.
He had become irrelevant to her,she didn't need him anymore.Their once blissful father/daughter relationship had long collapsed.All she saw was an empty shell not a father.
"What are you doing here?" she asked.
"I came to see my precious daughter and my grandchild" he replied grinning from ear to ear like a school boy.
Aisha scoffed and tried to speak but she couldn't think of the best possible words to spill her anger on him.
Alhaji Abubakar walked briskly to the mattress on which the baby lay.He caressed her face and gave her a peck on her infant cheek.
"What is her name?" he asked.
"Nneoma" Aisha replied.
"Your mother's name." he whispered and chuckled.
"When i heard about your delivery,i knew i had to come see you"
He turned his gaze on Aisha,anger was written all over her face.
"Look,if you have something to say,you better say it now" he said.
"Why?" Aisha asked.
"Why what?" her father feigned confusion.
"Why now?" Aisha blurted out."Why did you come here?...after all we've been through...after you left me alone.You turned your back on me when i needed you most,you made me feel neglected and abandoned.I carried my burden on my own without your help and now here you are.Why are you here?" she snapped.

"Listen Aisha,i came to reconcile with you,reconnect with you.You are still my daughter,my flesh and blood.We need to put the past behind us and move on."

"Move on?...not a single day passes without me thinking about the pain you caused.The havoc you wreaked.the damages..."
Alhaji cut her short.
"Yes i made some mistakes but that doesn't change the way i feel about you.I love you Aisha,you are my only daughter"

"You love me but you left me to suffer.You need to understand that love is about sacrifice and endurance.But you are simply selfish,you only care about yourself.You abducted Obinna and tortured him so that you can feel better.Isn't that what you did?" she asked.

"What do you want me to say.That i'm sorry?...fine....i'm sorry.Are you happy now."

"If you want us to forgive each other and move on,maybe you can try bringing back Obinna from coma."

"Come on Aisha,you know that is not possible"

"Yes...just like it's not possible for me to forgive you"

"Aisha please reconsider.I'm still your father"

"You most certainly dont act like it,you turned your back on me and now it's my turn to return the favour."

"Aisha please,your mother wouldn't have wanted this."

Aisha was furious.

"Are you seriously using my mother as an excuse to ask my forgiveness?....that is the last straw.You need to leave now!"

"Aisha you cant push me away.I'm your father and i love you"

"I dont need your love and i dont need you!"
Alhaji Abubakar sank to his knees and begged Aisha.

"Aisha we can still work it out.I'm sorry for all the pain i caused you.These past few months have been really depressing for me.I have realized my folly and i'm sorry,please forgive me."

Aisha clenched her fists and tightened her grip on the mattress.Tears trickled down her cheeks.The sight of her father on his knees hurt her so much.She couldn't take it anymore.

"Get out" she whispered.

"What did you say?" Alhaji asked.

"I said get out" Aisha screamed in anger.

Alhaji stood up and quietly left the room.
Aisha covered her face with her hands and sobbed.
--------------------------

The monitor beebed repeatedly and the clock which hung on the wall continued ticking.
The nurse went about her business while humming one of her favourite Onyeka Onwenu song's.She dipped the mop into the bucket,squeezed it with her hands and resumed scrubbing the floor.
The room had changed much save for the comatose patient that lay on the bed like a stone.
He had been like that for seven months and counting.His present state had become a normal thing,it was like waking up in the morning to watch the sun rise.
The only difference is;no one expected this patient to rise.
But suddenly he did.He jerked awake looking very much alive and free from the coma.The nurse was taken aback and she ran out of the room,calling the doctor.
"doctor he's awake!"

1 Like

Re: Damaged Butterfly by EvaJael(f): 6:06am On Jul 03, 2017
Obinna is awake. Yaaayyyy!!! Savitar keep it up
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 2:28pm On Jul 03, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Aisha was discharged from the hospital.When she got home she met her father in the house.He was the man of the house and it didn't really matter to her but the sight of him made her angry.She ignored him and went into the kitchen to prepare pap for her baby.
Alhaji Abubakar was heartbroken and for once he understood how his daughter felt.Their heated conversation at the hospital was still fresh in his mind.He went into his bedroom and tried to sleep it off.
Aisha couldn't share the same house with her father anymore.She was tired of him but where would she go?....she had to stay with him and work things out.The more she thought about it,the more she rejected the idea.
She went into the bathroom,locked the door and sat on the tiled floor,lost in thoughts.
She thought about her future and that of her baby.She had to take a decision and figure out what to do next.
An idea came to her mind.She analyzed it and weighed the consequences,it seemed okay to her.She went into her bedroom and started packing her belongings into a suitcase.Her father was asleep and there was no time to waste.She opened the box in which she kept her savings and counted the money.
She had only seventy five naira fity kobo.The unfavourable Shehu Shagari economy could complicate things but she had to manage.
She stopped abruptly when Obinna came to mind.She thought he was still in coma.It would be harsh to leave him but she had no choice.She still loved him.
She decided to drop a letter for him,she picked up and a pen and paper scribbled words that made her sad.
She remembered her baby?...could she take the baby along or maybe leave her behind?
She had come to crossroads and she had to make a decision fast.
---------

"You need to calm down,all your questions will be answered" the doctor said.
Obinna was a bit hysterical and restless.
"Where am i?...what am i doing here?....the house,the fire,my uncle,Aisha.....where is Aisha?" he asked.
He tried to get up but the doctor held him down.
"You are in the hospital,you need to stay calm" the doctor said.
He opened a box and fished out a syringe.
Obinna was afraid.
"What are you doing?....what is that?" he asked.
He couldn't get up,the doctor and nurses held him down firmly.
He watched helplessly as the syringe's needle sank into his arm and the doctor pulled it out.
"We just injected a sleeping drug into your system,you just got out from coma and your brain needs to settle..."
The doctor's voice faded as Obinna fell asleep.

When he woke up he saw his uncle smiling at him.
"Uncle is that you or am i dreaming?" he asked.
"It's me Obinna and this is not a dream.You are finally awake,i'm so happy" his uncle replied.
His uncle pulled out a chair and sat close to him.
"Obinna you need to relax" he said.
"I'm relaxed" Obinna replied.
"Good,now what is the last thing you remember?"

"I...um..i remember the fire..Aisha's father and his thugs carried me away.They took me to a warehouse,they beat me up,they totured me...one of the thugs drove a blade into my abdomen...it was terrible"

"It's okay,everything is fine now"

"What about Alhaji?"

"He was arrested by the police,he went to prison."

Obinna sighed.His uncle did not say it all but using the word 'went' made it obvious that Alhaji is no longer in prison.

"How long was i out?" he asked.

"seven months and two weeks" his uncle replied.

Obinna's eyes widened in suprise.He couldn't believe he was in coma for a long time.

"I spent seven months in coma?...wow...what changed?...is Nigeria back under military government?" he asked.

"No..Shehu Shagari is still the president" his uncle said and chuckled.

"What about Aisha?" Obinna finally asked.

His uncle bowed his head and sighed.

Obinna got tensed up and stared at his uncle with suspicion.

"What happened to her?....is she......dead?" he asked.

"What?...no no dont think like that.Aisha is alive and well" his uncle replied.

"Last time i checked she was in a terrible state...she took abortion pills and it affected her badly.What happened next?"

"Um...i dont know how to say this but...erm....Obinna...brace yourself..you're a father now"

Obinna froze in suprise.He tried to speak but the words wouldn't come out.He accepted the news with mixed feelings but he was happy that Aisha is alive.
He got up from the bed.He was a little light-headed but he could walk without staggering.

"I need to see her.I need to see Aisha" he muttered.

"The doctor hasn't discharged you yet." his uncle said.

"It doesn't matter.I'm perfectly fine,i dont need a doctor to tell me."
Obinna opened the door to leave but his uncle stood in his way.

"Obinna you need to rest.You have not eaten any food,dont you feel hungry?" his uncle asked.

"That's not a problem,we can buy food on the way and..."

Obinna's uncle cut him short.

"Obinna there is something i need to tell you....erm...Aisha...erm...she did something you're not going to like."

"What is it?"
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"What happened?" Obinna asked.
His uncle sighed and looked his nephew in the eyes.He couldn't decipher what he felt.Perhaps it was fear or confusion or both.
"Uncle what happened to Aisha?"
His uncle scratched his head,looking for the right words.Obinna just got out of coma and he didn't want to break his heart with bad news.
"Aisha...um...she..."
Obinna was getting hysterical and restless.
"She did what?" he asked.
"Look,Obinna i think it is better you see for yourself.This is not something i can tell you now."
His uncle patted him on the back and untied the nylon he came with,he brought out some clothes and handed it to Obinna.
"You need to wear these clothes.We're leaving now" he said.
"Leaving now?...but the doctor hasn't discharged me." Obinna said.
"I thought you want to know what happened to Aisha?...change into those clothes i gave you...we're going to Alhaji Abubakar's house" his uncle said.
Obinna wore the clothes and followed his uncle as they quietly left the hospital.
They boarded a taxi and made straight for Aisha's place.

Alhaji Abubakar was flabbergasted and crestfallen.He sat in front of his house,lost in thoughts.
"Why did Aisha do something like this?" he soliloquized.
There was only one explanation...him.
The hate she had for him must have drove her to take such action.
Alhaji was awoken from his deep thoughts when Obinna and his uncle barged into the compound.
"Where is she?...Obinna asked.
Alhaji stood up and tried to calm him down.
"Look son,you need to calm down.I will explain everything" Alhaji replied.
Obinna glared at him,anger was written all over his face.
"Dont you dare call me 'son'.I have not forgotten what you did to me and my uncle.The coma may have affected me but my memory is still intact.Now tell me where she is." Obinna bellowed.
He didn't wait for Alhaji to talk,he stroded into the house and searched for Aisha.
"Aisha,Aisha where are you?" he called out but Aisha was nowhere to found.
The moment he barged into her room,he sighted the newborn baby and stopped abruptly.
His anger and restlessness dissipated as he carried the baby in his arms and came out to face Alhaji.
"Is this?..."
Alhaji cut him short.
"Yes Obinna,that is your daughter"
Obinna's heart was melted.The baby looked so cute,she held a striking resemblance with Aisha.

"What is her name" Obinna asked.

"Her name is Nneoma" Alhaji replied.

Obinna smiled as he caressed Nneoma's smooth cheeks.His pain and anger had totally disappeard.He was relaxed.

"She is beautiful,just like her mother." Obinna said.

"Yes she is" his uncle concured.

Alhaji heaved a sigh and shook his head.

"If only Aisha was here,things wouldn't be more complicated than it already is." he said.

Obinna raised his head and turned his gaze on Alhaji.
"Now tell me,where is Aisha?" he spoke softly with a voice devoid of anger.

Alhaji walked into the house and came out holding a sheet of paper.
He handed the paper to Obinna and collected the baby from him.
"I need you to read this" he said.

Obinna opened the letter and started reading:

Dear Obinna
If you're reading this letter,it means that i'm gone and you're out of coma.My heart cannot bear the pain and suffering we passed through.I cannot imagine what my father did to you but i would want you to forgive him.Nobody expected that pregnancy and now we must forgive one another and move on.
I have passed through hell these past nine months.From the abortion pills to having my father sent to prison and watching you sleep in coma.I had to contend with being stigmatised by people because i'm a pregnant teenager.I was hurt and i spent my days in agony and loneliness.
I was able to pull through after the birth of our daughter but i cannot stay in Kano anymore.I have caused so much damage and my concience will not let me.
I want you to take care of our daughter Nneoma.She doesn't have to know about me,i just want her to grow up to become the woman i could have been.
I need you to take care of my father.He can be emotionally unstable and i dont want my absence to drive him into doing something crazy.
I love you Obinna,i really do but i have deliberated on my next move and i've decided it's the best for me.
Dont try to look for me,i'm long gone and you cant find me.
Your lovely butterfly,
Aisha.

Obinna dropped the letter and sank to his knees,sobbing.

Aisha alighted from the danfo bus and paid the conductor.She carried her lugage and stopped near a sign post.She inhaled deeply and exhaled.It was a new dawn for her,a new begining.A second chance at life.
She looked around her and sighed.
She felt confident and optimistic.
This was the best decision for her,there was no going back now.
She approached the nearby signpost.
The signpost had the inscriptions:
WELCOME TO LAGOS

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 Likes

Re: Damaged Butterfly by EvaJael(f): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2017
Hmmmm. This Alhaji is the cause of everything
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 6:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
Aisha gently dropped her luggage and gasped for breath.She had been trekking for hours looking a place to stay and spend the night.Many of the landlords she met had no reservations.The houses were not eye catching at all.
She opened her purse, fumbled in it and fished out a handkerchief.
She was sweating profusely.
The sun was setting,sooner or later darkness would envelop the land.A gusty wind was blowing.
The trees swayed and people ran helter skelter.Dark clouds dominated the sky.It was going to rain and by the looks of it,it's definitely going to be a heavy downpour.Only few danfo buses were in sight and the conductors had inflated the fares.
Aisha was stranded.A few hours in Lagos and nothing was looking good for her.The rain seemed like a bad omen.
She sighted a building and ran to it.The gates were open,it looked like a tenant house.She approached the front door and tried to knock but her hands wouldn't.She concluded that maybe it was better not to knock.The occupants of the house may not be friendly.The verandah was enough shelter for her.
Aisha opened her luggage and brought out a blanket.She found a nice spot on the cold floor and covered herself with the blanket.
She was shivering with cold,she rubbed her palms together and tried to warm herself.
It was raining cat and dogs.It seemed like the gates of heaven had been left wide open and rain poured freely into the world of men.The rain was badluck for most people as street hawkers and shop owners suspended their little business.
However,a small group of children came out to play.Dancing in the rain and splashing dirty water on themselves.Theylaughed with glee like nothing else mattered and everything was free.
The scene brought tears to Aisha's eyes.It reminded her of her baby.
The poor infant was without a mother figure in her life.Aisha took consolation in the fact that Obinna could be out of coma and Nneoma would,at least,have a father to look up to.
Aisha could have stayed back in Kano but she was not ready to be a mother yet.Her life had gone turpsy turvy and no matter how she tried to salvage the situation,things would never get back to normal.
Sometimes when things get broken,it cant be fixed.
She opened her purse and fished a photo of Obinna.He had left it for her when he came to hospital.
The photo was the last strand of her connection to Obinna.She swore an oath that she would never return to Kano until she puts her life back on track.
Deep down in her heart,she really missed Obinna.His undying love was something one does not see everytime.Theirrelationship was special.Aisha had hopes that one day she would see Obinna and her father.Alhaji would be torn apart by her absence but she had confidence in Obinna and his ability to pick up the peices and forge ahead.
Aisha prayed to Almighty Allah,kissed the photo and drifted off to sleep.
Aisha couldn't figure out how long she had been asleep.She woke up to see a figure standing above her with a kerosene lantern.The light of the lantern was too bright for her eyes.She looked closely at the figure standing above her.It looked like Obinna.
Aisha scampered to her feet and rubbed her eyes.It wasn't Obinna.
It was a young girl.
"Excuse me...wetin you dey do here?" the girl asked.Her pidgin english sounded solid and forceful.
"Erm...my name is Aisha...i'm new...here in Lagos..i was looking for a place to stay but the rain started and i had to find shelter" Aisha replied.
The girl in front of her seemed unmoved by her explanation.
Aisha scratched her head and thought of something better to say.
"Look i'm very sorry for bothering you.I will leave right away..."
The girl cut her short.
"No...it's okay" she said.
Aisha turned around and looked at the young girl.
"Erm...what did you say?" she asked.
"You can stay...it's the middle of the night and there's no place for you to go" the girl replied.
Aisha was a bit suprised.She had encountered a few grumpy folks on the streets of Lagos.She had braced up for a hostile treatment from the young girl in front of her but she seemed nice.
"Are you sure you want me to stay?" Aisha asked.
"Yes you can stay" the girl replied.
"Erm...thank you very much" Aisha mumbled.
"My name is Ibinabo but you can call me Bina for short" Bina stretched out her hand for handshake.
Aisha heaved a sigh of relief and shook hands with Bina.
She seized the oppurtunity to take a qiuck cross-examination of Bina.
The girl was lightskinned,she had a well rounded body.She looked a bit older than Aisha.
"Come with me" Bina said as she opened the door and led Aisha into the house.
Aisha followed Bina into a room that was supposed to be the living room but it had been turned into a big living quater with old curtains dividing the room into different sections.
"Be careful...watchyour step" Bina whispered.
Aisha looked at the floor and froze at the sight of a pile of sleeping bodies.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 6:14pm On Jul 10, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
"Watch your step!" Bina exclaimed with a voice that sounded more like a whisper.
Aisha looked down and froze at the sight of pile of sleeping bodies on the floor.She counted about nineteen persons in the room.She could have counted more save for the old curtains that divided the room into different sections,more like sleeping spaces.
The occupants of the room were mostly men followed by women,teenagersand little children.The room was overcrowded and unkempt.Aisha nearly threw up.She was glad that the windows were left wide open else someone would suffocate in there.
Bina noticed Aisha's displeasure and chuckled.
"Welcome to Lagos" she whispered.
"What is the name of this neighbourhood?"Aisha asked.
"It's called Ajegunle" Bina replied.
"This living room is no good for you.Come with me."
Bina led Aisha to kitchen.She freaked out at the sight of a cockroach on the dirty wall.Bina grabbed a broom.The insect flew to another corner of the kitchen but Bina finally killed it.
"What kind of cockroach flies?" Aisha asked.
"The kind that is sent by witches and wizards" Bina replied.
Aisha stopped abruptly and gaped at Bina in suprise.
"Dont worry,you'll be safe here" Bina said and chuckled.
She bent down near the sink and pulled out an old mat.She spread it on the floor and beamed a satisfactory smile.
"Is it always like this every night?" Aisha asked.
"No...if you're lucky you'll get a better sleeping space.Many people come to this house to sleep at night.They are not regular tenants though,they'll pay 10 kobo,sleep here for the night and they go away in the morning.These people are mostly street children and hustlers who cant afford to pay normal rent.Lagos is a difficult place."
Aisha hissed and placed her luggage under the sink.
"What is your business in Lagos" Bina asked."Do you have any relatives here or....?"
"I came to Lagos to look for work" Aisha quickly replied.
"Work?" Bina scoffed. "Many people come here looking for work.Lagos is always painted as land flowing with milk and honey but it is not always like that.Where did you come from?"
"Kano"
"Kano?!" Bina exclaimed."I heard the place is nice but why did you leave?"
"I just..erm..uhh"Aisha stammered."I needed a fresh start."
Bina smiled and patted Aisha on the back.
"Dont worry,luck will smile on you" she said.
"But you have to pay 10 kobo for accomodation."
Aisha fished out 10 kobo from her purse and gave it to Bina.
"Now sleep.I will help you settle down properly tomorrow" she whispered and left the kitchen.
Aisha heaved a sigh of relief.She lay on the mat and prayed to Allah.Lagos was a new challenge for her.All she had to do was get a job and then every other thing would fall into place.
She closed her eyes and tried to sleep.
------------------
Aisha woke up to noise in the house.The landlord,a big man with pot belly,stood at the door collecting money.He had barred everyone from leaving until they had paid for spending the night in his house.
He carried a horse whip and bellowed in his pidgin english plastered with yoruba accent.
"Oya make una pay your accomodation money...nobody dey go anywhere...all of una go pay" he growled.
It was then it dawned on Aisha.
She had paid money to Bina-the wrong person.The girl had exploited her.Aisha looked around but Bina was nowhere to be seen,she must have used the 10 kobo to bail herself.
The house was noisy as the 'temporary tenants' complained about the landlord wasting their time.
"Oya all of una form a line..form a line" the landlord screamed.
The process went very quickly and the house which had had many occupants became empty.
Aisha stood outside searching for Bina.
The early morning cold made her shiver.She opened the gate and stepped out on the street.The street was a beehive of activities.
It was not yet seven am but people had gone about their businesses.The busy street reminded her of Kano.She missed her home.
Aisha was taken aback at sight of people crowded near a water tap with their gallons and buckets arguing and bickering over who came first.It was unlike Kano where water supply was no big issue.
Aisha finally found Bina in the midst of the people.She carried two buckets of water and stroded towards Aisha.
"Goodmorning Aisha" Bina greeted.
Aisha had no time for greetings,she was bothered by the fact that Bina made away with her 10 kobo accomodation fee.She tried to reprimand Bina but the girl carried her buckets into the compound like she was in a hurry.
"We have to hurry,there is no time" Bina mumbled.
"Where are we going?" Aisha asked as she followed Bina.
The girl carried her buckets to the backyard and stood frustrated at the sight of the long line of people waiting to use the makeshift bathroom.
"Oh no...it's just as i feared" Bina mumbled and scowled her face.
"How am i going to get to work early today?"
Aisha turned and looked at Bina.
"Bina can you help me find a job?"
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
Sit tight and get ready....the major part of the story is just getting started....no more breaks...

1 Like

Re: Damaged Butterfly by ADUKKY(f): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ready........ Set.........Go
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 9:59pm On Jul 10, 2017
SaviTar:
Sit tight and get ready....the major part of the story is just getting started....no more breaks...
Better, no more breaks
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 12:59am On Jul 13, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
"I will help you find a job" Bina replied.
"Thank you" Aisha said.
"I'll take you to my workplace,my boss might consider you but first we need to fight our way into the bathroom" Bina said and hissed.
"There is only one bathroom in the entire compound and all the tenants makes use of it.It is first come first serve and if one does not get up early to fetch water and use the bathroom,you'llbe left waiting for almost an hour."
"Is it like this everyday?" Aisha asked.
"It is like this every work day.That is why i wake up early but that foolish landlord wasted my time" Bina replied.
The bathroom was an old wooden shaft with a rickety door.A small pit toilet was built near it.
"Is that a public toilet? Aisha asked."All the tenants use the same toilet?"
"Yes ofcourse.Dont worry,you'll get used to it." Bina replied when she noticed Aisha displeasure.
"It seems you came from a well-to-do family."
"Yes i do."
"Well...like i said,i needed a fresh start."
Bina shrugged her shoulders in resignation.
Aisha counted nineteen persons waiting to use the bathroom.Many of them were growing impatient and an occupant in the bathroom did not hurry,the frustrated tenants would bang on the rickety door.
"Oga,do fast fast make anoda pesin use baffroom."
They spent close to an hour waiting and finally Aisha finally got her turn.She only had five minutes to wash up else the tenants would bang on her door.
She quickly poured the cold water on her body and started washing with her sponge.She was almost through until she turned around and saw the disgusting thing.
A pile of faeces lay on the bathroom floor.It was black and covered with maggots.It was an eyesore.Aisha nearly threw up.
"Why would someone shit in the bathroom?" she asked herself.
The tenants were unruly and many of them could be uncivilized.
Bina had mentioned something about village people coming to Lagos.
It's less than sixteen hours in Lagos and Aisha was starting to regret leaving Kano.
She started thinking about her father's clean house with the nice bedrooms and nice bathroom with the shower running.
But it was only a matter of time before a frustrated tenant banged on the rickety door and drove her away from the sea of thoughts.
"Madam...you never finish?"
"One moment please" Aisha replied.
------------------------------------------
The morning hustle was over and Aisha stroded to motor park with Bina.
She was going to help Aisha find a job.Aisha had fantasized about a nice job that would pay her well but her expectations had reduced significantly.She was ready to take any small job as long as the wages is enough to feed her and pay her rent.
Aisha boarded a danfo bus with Bina.The bus was over loaded and the driver had to stop at police checkpoints to pay the daily dues to rouge cops.The fat lady that sat close to the Aisha's window took all the fresh air while Bina and Aisha wiped beads of sweats on their face and managed the little fresh air available to them.It was a nightmare for Aisha and she was glad when the bus finally reached their destination.
They alighted and Bina led her through a busy street and a few roads hit with heavy traffic jam.
"That is where i work" Bina announced.
Aisha chuckled as she did a quick scrutiny of the local restraunt that stood in front of her.
"Seriously?...alocal restraunt?" Aisha asked with a mock tone.
"Hey..this is Lagos and you have to work hard.By the way what were you expecting?....abig office or a company?......i'm just a below average Nigerian,i couldn't afford the luxury of seeing the the four walls of a higher institution" Bina replied.
"Look Bina, i understand.It'sa nice restraunt anyway" Aisha said.
"It's not just any restraunt.It's actually one the biggest local restraunts in Ajegunle" Bina said with a tinge of pride.
"So how much money do you make?" Aisha asked.
"You have not started work yet and you already want to know how much money you're going to get.You must be very greedy oo"
"I'm not greedy.I just want to know how lucrative this job is"
"Let just say the pay depends on the kind of work you'll do for the madam but i will assure you,it's enough to take care of your rent and feeding" Bina said and patted Aisha on the back.
"That is not an issue anyway.I'm a little worried because the madam is going to be angry with me for coming late to work" Bina mumbled as they went into the restraunt.
The restraunt was a big one.It served assorted drinks and food and it had many customers.It was unlike the ones in Kano.
Aisha was a impressed.
Bina led her down a corridor and stopped abruptly when they got to a door.
"Madam Oby's office" Bina whispered and heaved a sigh.
Aisha tried to imagine what this 'madam' would look like.
Bina was about to knock but the door gave way and Madam Oby stepped out.
"Good morning madam" Bina greeted with a voice compounded with fear and uncertainty.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 1:04am On Jul 13, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
"Good morning madam" Aisha greeted.
Madam Oby was a big woman,she looked sophisticated in the white and golden gown she wore,with expensive jewelries and a face that had too much make up.She looked like a spoilt paintwork.

"You're late...again" she bellowed.

"I'm sorry madam,i'm really sorry" Bina apologized but Madam Oby was having none of it.
"What is your excuse this time?" she asked with fiery eyes and hands akinbo.
"Is it the traffic jam or the wicked landlord?...do you have a new excuse?"

"No madam,i'm very sorry.It wont happen again.I promise." Bina said.

"You say that every time.Perhaps i should sack you."
Bina dropped to her knees and started pleading.

"Please madam,you cannot sack me.I have no other place to go.I have no place to stay.Please have mercy on me,give me another chance."

Madam Oby heaved a sigh and hissed in displeasure.

"Get up" she said.
Bina leapt to her feet and started thanking Madam Oby.
Madam Oby glanced at Aisha.

"Who is this?" she asked.

"This is my friend Aisha.She is looking for work"

"And you brought her here?"

"Yes madam.I thought there is vacancy somewhere in the kitchen"
Madam Oby sighed and took a cursory look at Aisha.
"Young lady,can you cook?" she asked.

"Yes madam,i can cook very well" Aisha replied.

"Where are you from?" Madam Oby asked.

"I'm from Kano" Aisha replied.

Madam Oby narrowed her eyes and gazed at Aisha.
"You must be new in Lagos" she said.

"Yes madam,i'm new."

"In that case,giving you a job could be very hard for me."
Aisha was dumbfounded and bewildered.

"I dont understand ma.What do you mean?" she asked.

"Look here young lady,i run a big restraunt and this business can be very demanding.I have vacancies but i'm wary of all these new people in Lagos.I need someone with expirience,someone who understands Lagos very well.Have you ever worked in a restraunt before?"

"Erm...no madam."
Madam Oby heaved a sigh and shook her head.

"That just makes things more complicated.If you dont know much about the job you want,then you're not going to do it well."

Aisha was dissapointed and crestfallen.If she didn't get a job that day,she would find herself in tight position.She only had two naira and it wasn't enough to get her through a week in Lagos.She had arrived Lagos with more money but much of it got stolen by pick pockets.She had anticipated this job,she couldn't loose it just like that.

"Please madam,i will try my best.My friend Bina will help me adapt." Aisha pleaded.

"Sorry young lady but i dont employ inexpirienced people.The last time i employed one,it was village girl from Katsina.She lied to me about her cooking abilities.I gave her the job and she messed everything up for me.I lost many of my regular customers.I dont want to make the same mistake again.If you are going to work for me,you need expirience." Madam Oby said.
She turned and stroded off to the kitchen.Aisha wished she could teleport back to Kano immediately.Shehad no idea that finding a good job could be difficult.

"I'm sorry Aisha,i wish i could help you but i'm the last person Madam Oby will listen to." Bina whispered.

"What do you suggest i do?" Aisha asked.

"How much do you have?"

"Two naira,twenty-five kobo."
Bina hissed in frustration and shook her head.

Aisha's eyes widened with delight.
"I think i have an idea." she said.

"What are you going to do?" Bina asked.

"What if i work for free?"

"Work for free?"

"Yes,but it's going to be temporary."
Bina chuckled.

"You never cease to amaze me Aisha.I'll call Madam Oby."
Bina went into the kitchen and came out with The Madam.

"What do mean by 'work for free' .
"Madam Oby asked.

"I can work without pay for a few days.It will afford me the oppourtunity to show you what i'm capable of.If you're satisfied,you will give the job." Aisha said.

Madam Oby gazed at Aisha with uncertainty and burst out laughing.

"You are a clever girl and i like clever girls" she said.

"Does than mean i get to work here." Aisha asked.

"Yes but you have only three days to impress me.If you do,i'll make you a permanent worker and i'll pay you handsomely.If you fail to impress me,i will kick you out and you will get nothing.Is that clear?" Madam Oby asked.

"Yes madam" Aisha replied.

---------------------------------------
In one corner of the restraunt,a man was sipping from a glass of wine.He stroked his goatee and smiled mischieviously.
His phone rang and he fished it out from him pocket.
He glanced at the caller's identity and chuckled.
He put the phone to his left ear to answer the caller.
"Hello D.P.O....yes....i'm there right now......yes........i have goodnews for you."
The man stood up and lifted the glass of wine,he downed the content with one gulp and belched.
He beamed a satisfactory smile and put the phone back on his ear.
"I found her...i finally found her" he said.

1 Like

Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 1:12am On Jul 13, 2017
Sorry for the late update lipsrsealed
i had a bout with the dreaded writer's block shocked cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My First Heart Break - Diary Of A Jobless NIGERIAN Youth / Chimamanda Adichie Receives Standing Ovation At Endinburgh Int'l Film Festival / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 215
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.