Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism (4635 Views)

Ogbeh Blames Nigeria’s Poor Economy On SAP And IBB / Meet The Only Two Nigeria Leaders That Publicly Declared Their Assets / Akpabio Blames Nigeria’s Woes On False Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by slaykay07: 11:40am On Jan 27, 2010
US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton has blamed failings by Nigerian leaders for increasing "radicalisation" among young Nigerians.

She pointed to poor living standards and "unbelievable" corruption.

Mrs Clinton was speaking after a young Nigerian man from a wealthy family was accused of trying to blow up a plane over the US on Christmas Day.

She said she believed that bombing suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was "disturbed by his father's wealth".

The Nigerian government has not responded to Mrs Clinton's criticism.

Anti-state uprisings

Nigeria is one of the world's biggest oil exporters but most of its people live in poverty.

With its large impoverished Muslim population and oil industry, Western diplomats have long feared that Nigeria could be a prime target for al-Qaeda.

But there have been no known al-Qaeda attacks in the country.

However, there have been several violent uprisings against the state by local radical Muslim sects.

Mrs Clinton was speaking at a "town hall" meeting with state department officials.

"I do think that Nigeria faces a threat from increasing radicalisation that needs to be addressed, and not just by military means," she said.

"There has to be a recognition that, in the last 10 years, a lot of the indicators about quality of life in Nigeria have gone the wrong direction.

"The information we have on the Christmas Day bomber so far seems to suggest that he was disturbed by his father's wealth and the kind of living conditions that he viewed as being not Islamic enough."

Following the alleged plot, security screening for Nigerians travelling to the US has been tightened.

Nigeria's government has condemned the measures, saying 150 million Nigerians should not be blamed for the actions of one man.

Nigerian officials have also sought to distance their country from the alleged bomber - stressing that he left the country 10 years ago.

Mr Abdulmutallab has reportedly admitted undergoing military training with al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8482420.stm
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by muhsin(m): 11:49am On Jan 27, 2010
Hi there,

I actually can't fathom what she's saying: if its truly because of the poor standard of living of some Nigerian why Farouk Mutallab?

Secondly, where most of all put me in more mire is this statement:

She said she believed that bombing suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was[b] "disturbed by his father's wealth".[/b]
How?
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Kx: 12:02pm On Jan 27, 2010
muhsin:

How?
He was disturbed by his father's enormous wealth,
I guess he felt his fathers enormous wealth in a land when people
cant afford the basic needs of life is purely unislamic.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by muhsin(m): 12:29pm On Jan 27, 2010
Kx:

Thanks for the response.

Can you again answer this: whose action is specifically unislamic as you pointed out above?
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ochukoccna: 1:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
Kx:

And by his going to bomb an America city is Islamic? shocked shocked shocked
Why couldn't he face up to his father and his ilk in the north who subject their people to poverty by the almajiri culture? undecided undecided
Did he have to visit the sins of the northern Nigerian elite on Americans? undecided undecided
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ayettymama(f): 1:37pm On Jan 27, 2010
hilary is just chatting rubbish

totally contradicting herself

shes sayin they might be terrorists

because the muslims are poor

whilst the terrorist they have

is so because hes riich??

silly woman

needs to go and sit somewhere
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by invisible2(m): 1:38pm On Jan 27, 2010
Good question.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by muhsin(m): 1:50pm On Jan 27, 2010
ochukoccna:

And by his going to bomb an America city is Islamic? shocked shocked shocked
Why couldn't he face up to his father and his ilk in the north who subject their people to poverty by the almajiri culture? undecided undecided
Did he have to visit the sins of the northern Nigerian elite on Americans? undecided undecided

Thats almost exactly what I understand by the guy's response.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by vislabraye(m): 1:59pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayettymama:

hilary is just chatting rubbish

totally contradicting herself

shes sayin they might be terrorists

because the muslims are poor

whilst the terrorist they have

is so because hes riich??

silly woman

needs to go and sit somewhere

Thumbs upfor you, She doesn't understand what she's talking about.
All over the world, the cause of terrorism has little to do with poverty. The people who flew the 9/11 plane were not poor.
Infact this woman is beginning to suck!!

If she wants to say Nigeria is corrupt, let her just say it and not start linking it with terrorism cos there is no correlation.
But the truth be told, it is ISLAM that is the cause of terrorism. I know I'm stepping on toes, but that's the fact. There are some good moslems, but the radical ones use their eligion to justify it.

Where i want to blame our leaders is the issue of corruption,
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by MyJoe: 2:07pm On Jan 27, 2010
Of course, she doesn't know what she is talking about. That guy was not even radicalised in Nigeria.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by naijaswag1: 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2010
I can see that Hilary and her Oga Obama don't still understand this world.That is how they goofed on Israel last year and quickly reversed themselves.How can Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab be "disturbed by his father's wealth". I don't get this.They should understand that terrorism is a retaliation for the perceived war on Islam and poverty is never the cause.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by citizenY(m): 2:09pm On Jan 27, 2010
Whether we like it or not, things are bad. No amount of whitewash will blot this one.
If we do not tell ourselves, somebody is telling us and he is not a Nigerian or northerner
or southerner. Hilary is expressing a view and we must take it on its merit.

Those who have ears, let them hear and I hope our mandarins are hearing it loud and clear.
The looting /acquisition has reached toxic dimensions and it is depriving our youth of a today
and tomorrow.

The toxicity is also polluting homes and families.To the fat cats, your primitive acquisition is
attracting the odium of your offspring and turning them into frankensteins. Your efforts
are turning into nothingness in your very eyes. Your money has started breeding misfits,  and
imbeciles whose worldview is at variance with our norms and traditions. Very soon they will
start the revolution from home and you will be the first victims.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by vislabraye(m): 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2010
@ citizen Y .No one is saying Naija is perfect. But let's get some fact right,

When some one start opening her/his and begin talking thrash, that person should be called to order. Nigeria's problem has nothing to do with terrorism. If she's talking about corruption and bad leadership, that should be in a different context. I first thout she was trying to make sense, but she just goofed
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ayettymama(f): 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2010
she's expressing jargons

fine say there is a possibility terrorists can brew from nigeria

but thats only because of its high number of lets say 'passionate muslims!'

and nothing to do with the dumb theories she cumin up with!

what shes sayin barely makes sense|!
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by idifu(m): 2:24pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hilary is rite about Nigeria, hate her or love her for it, all what she has said are nothing but the truth  May God Help Nigeria
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by citizenY(m): 2:47pm On Jan 27, 2010
@visabraye

Dem say na sickness dey bring native doctor, if not ya chicken forstill dey for backyard.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by naijaking1: 2:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
Naija people, na wa -o!
Anybody says something we don't like, we abuse the person, her mama, her papa, her husband, and even her children/grand children so te we tire.

We can misread, misunderstand, or even turn whatever she says up-side-down, but at the end of the day, the truth(which bites) is that Nigeria is officially a terrorist state, ruled by terrorists and terrorist-supporting politicians. You can start abusing me right now, that will be no surprise, or you can visit Jos, and then Sokoto; and ask yourself why, how, and when

The first step of solving any problem is to acknowledge it, so the people who don't acknowledge terrorism and muslim extremism in Nigeria may not actually want the problem solved in the first place. angry
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by mufikings(m): 2:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
idifu:

Hilary is rite about Nigeria, hate her or love her for it, all what she has said are nothing but the truth  May God Help Nigeria

You are sure right idifu, it troubles me when i hear Nigerians talk out of ignorance.Though America has not gotten all right as a country, but then what Hilary is saying is food for thought.God help us.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by emmatigana: 2:53pm On Jan 27, 2010
We already know that. she should help us in defeating those leaders by sanctioning and stopping their children from studying overseers.
not beating around the bush and telling us the same thing over and over again,
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hillary Clinton did not quite construct what she was saying correctly but the larger princple is right.

Nigerian Government has been condoning and ignoring issues that breed extremism and thats the simple truth.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2010
I used to think people go into crimes basically when they are in need or poor,so i wonder how hilary could deduce that the boy turned into an extremist because of the fathers wealth cuz i cant really understand what her points are.meanwhile it is not the duty of the US to interefere in the internal affairs of nigeria,a sovereign.she should address the sudden inclusion of nigeria into the list of terrorist nation which has been strongly criticised by the american senate and americans generally instead of contradictng poverty/bad leadership to terrorism.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by toosoon(m): 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
Clinton was trying to say that Nigeria was blacklisted not only based on terrorism but also Corruption,419, and Poverty!!!

Clinton for President of Nigeria grin grin
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by THEAMAKA(f): 3:19pm On Jan 27, 2010
is this naughty woman serious? bleep her!!! the U.S is always plotting something.
bunch of crap!!!
silly woman.  angry angry angry angry

so NOW we are blacklisted becaue of those things? come up with a better excuse jo.

Nigerian officials have also sought to distance their country from the alleged bomber - stressing that he left the country 10 years ago.

Mr Abdulmutallab has reportedly admitted undergoing military training with al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen.

so again, what does this have to do with Nigerians? besides the fact that the guy is a Nigerian citizen. was this a Nigerian terrorist group that did this? or what? how long have these religious riots been going on in Jos? for how many years now? but NOW it's an issue.
she is just blowing hot gas.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by DeepSoul(f): 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hillary's speech is a total contradiction.

Firstly she says the corruption and poverty breeds (or is breeding) terrorism

And then she goes on to say Mutallab was disturbed by his father's wealth.

There's no correlation btwn those statements, it's simply illogical.

If you want to talk about Nigeria being a corrupt and poor nation, feel free but pls do not mix issues!

Corruption and poverty in Nigeria have nothing to do with terrorism.

But then, thinkin outside the box, I'd say it was Nigeria's fault that Mutallab was chosen to blow up that plane.

If we had a proper educational system in Nigeria, Senior Mutallab wldnt have felt the need to send Junior Mutallab abroad to school

If Jnr Mutallab, hadnt gone abroad to school, he wld never have been chosen as the "annointed"

However, if Mutallab hadn't been chosen, sm1 else wld definitely have been. Maybe a Briton. Maybe a french man.

Who knows? All we know is that sm1 (irrespective of nationality) would have been chosen with or without Mutallab
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2010
That hilary need to be spanked forgetting to realise that nigeria has always been an allied country to the US in terms of fight against corruption and counter-terrorism.i'm beginning to see their america actions against nigeria as a punishment to yaradua continued inclinations towards the east especially the saudis and chinese.i wondered what would have happened if that mutallab was yaradua's son?
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by montelik(m): 3:39pm On Jan 27, 2010
She said she believed that bombing suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was "disturbed by his father's wealth".

This is bad. So this is what a whole secretary of state has to say. CHEI  shocked. Here I was thinking that Ojo Maduekwe was an embarassment.  grin grin
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by adconline(m): 3:44pm On Jan 27, 2010
we have swung into denial mode. Maybe Killing hundreds of people in the north every year is  a national festival .Or maybe it does not even matter that thousand of  Nigerians are affected every year through religious conflicts. We dont need a fortune teller to tell us that Nigeria is a breeding ground for terrorists. Osama Bin Laden has consistently talked about Nigeria and we are in denial mode.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by kaddze: 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2010
We shld try and put our house in order to avoid further derogatory statements abt our country.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by EzeUche(m): 3:53pm On Jan 27, 2010
People need to stop living in denial!!! angry

Nigeria has a lot of problems and we all know this. The perennial violence in the north over religion should concern ALL Nigerians. This cycle of violence is one major reason why Nigeria deserves to be on that list. I consider Nigeria a terrorist nation. It has terrorized my people ever since the 60s.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by THEAMAKA(f): 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2010
EzeUche:

People need to stop living in denial!!! angry

Nigeria has a lot of problems and we all know this. The perennial violence in the north over religion should concern ALL Nigerians. This cycle of violence is one major reason why Nigeria deserves to be on that list. I consider Nigeria a terrorist nation. It has terrorized my people ever since the 60s.
sit down jo!!!
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ud4u: 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2010
I can't even understand where she is going, what does poverty has to do with Abdulmutallab.

It makes no meaning.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by adigun101: 4:05pm On Jan 27, 2010
"The information we have on the Christmas Day bomber so far seems to suggest that he was disturbed by his father's wealth and the kind of living conditions that he viewed as being not Islamic enough."
1. We all should be worried about rich muslim kids who are worried about the kind of living conditions around them.
2. Osama bin laden (a son of a rich man) was probably was lured into terrorism for the same reasons.
3. American kids get disturbed by wealth while the poor ones are stable.
4. When poverty around you are not islamic enough, you pick up a bomb and board a plane for the US.
5. Poverty drives poor kids into extremism and Wealth drives rich people into extremism.

Hillary was never my woman but she just scored a huge low.
What kind of icoherent, patched up statement that still doesn't fit !

They just made a scapegoat of Nigeria Period!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NSCDC Arrest Pipeline Vandals In Oyo / PICTURES OF SARDAUNA AHMADU BELLO / Jonathan- I Built 9 Universities, 50 Almajiri Schools In 20 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.