Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,520 members, 7,836,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism (4653 Views)

Ogbeh Blames Nigeria’s Poor Economy On SAP And IBB / Meet The Only Two Nigeria Leaders That Publicly Declared Their Assets / Akpabio Blames Nigeria’s Woes On False Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by adigun101: 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2010
ud4u:

I can't even understand where she is going, what does poverty has to do with Abdulmutallab.

It makes no meaning.
montelik:

This is bad. So this is what a whole secretary of state has to say. CHEI  shocked. Here I was thinking that Ojo Maduekwe was an embarassment.  grin grin

Exactly !
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ddiamond(f): 4:10pm On Jan 27, 2010
no need to talk much let get into action and we should start in our individual mind,

to make a positive change and stop blaming one another.
tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2010
To my own knowledge,i want to be believe that what she was trying to say is that if not for the father's wealth,mutallab would not be in the position or be opportune to bomb that plane.He had everything or access to everything money culd do to become an international terrorist.He was able to mingle with dis association cos of too much access too much  money.Hardly will you see a poor man child or an average man's child goes into terrorism.
On the other side,those pauper/local terrorists at home are disturbed as a result of poverty or ignorance.In Nigeria,an average citizen or rich almanjiri will not think of going in to terrorism cos he believes he needs to enjoy life to the fullest  before he dies.So it is the poor ones among them that are brainwashed and sponsored to cause the chaos.
So i think that is the point she was trying to make and also to hammer on the issue of corruption.
adigun101:

"The information we have on the Christmas Day bomber so far seems to suggest that he was disturbed by his father's wealth and the kind of living conditions that he viewed as being not Islamic enough."
1. We all should be worried about rich muslim kids who are worried about the kind of living conditions around them.
2. Osama bin laden (a son of a rich man) was probably was lured into terrorism for the same reasons.
3. American kids get disturbed by wealth while the poor ones are stable.
4. When poverty around you are not islamic enough, you pick up a bomb and board a plane for the US.
5. Poverty drives poor kids into extremism and Wealth drives rich people into extremism.

Hillary was never my woman but she just scored a huge low.
What kind of icoherent, patched up statement that still doesn't fit !

They just made a scapegoat of Nigeria Period!

God bless you!!!
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ayettymama(f): 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2010
all i know is i wont be taking lessons from this woman!

she may be bold and courageous

but she sure aint smart!

nikkykay:

To my own knowledge,i want to be believe that what she was trying to say is that if not for the father's wealth,mutallab would not be in the position or be opportune to bomb that plane.He had everything or access to everything money culd do to become an international terrorist.He was able to mingle with dis association cos of too much access too much  money.Hardly will you see a poor man child or an average man's child goes into terrorism.
On the other side,those pauper/local terrorists at home are disturbed as a result of poverty or ignorance.In Nigeria,an average citizen or rich almanjiri will not think of going in to terrorism cos he believes he needs to enjoy life to the fullest  before he dies.So it is the poor ones among them that are brainwashed and sponsored to cause the chaos.
So i think that is the point she was trying to make and also to hammer on the issue of corruption.God bless you!!!

whilst what your sayin makes sense thats neither what she sed nor what she implied!

she neva mentioned the word opportunity

the woman had nothing to say so decided to cook up senseless conclusions
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by MsTom(f): 4:19pm On Jan 27, 2010
Poverty can cause terrorism. But that was not the case of mutallab.  He was mis-guided due to some emotional needs in his life. Evident in his social networking account.
Let us not decieve ourselves. Terrorism is fast brewing in Nigeria. Have you not noticed that these al qaeda leaders are rich and the people they use for these suicide bombs are either poor or the youth? Why are there thugs or area boys in Lagos? What people do depends on what they are brain washed with or how deep they are in the brain washing.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by otondo55: 4:24pm On Jan 27, 2010
THAT ONE NA TRUE TALK.

MADAM KEEP-ON THE GOOD WORK

Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
Refusal to understand or inability to rationalise does not amount to Hillary Clinton making off point.

Anyone heard of the word Liberal-Radicalism? Hillary was simply describing Abdulmutallab as an extremist liberal radical.

And this attitude is not perculiar to mutallab. There are a lot of kids born with silver spoon who get so angry about what they call injustices of the world that they become so very violent.

But what would have been a more credible argument by Hillary to sight would have been citing the fact that our government have historically ignored violent and religious extremism in our country
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by sizzlers(m): 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
The earlier we acknowledge that fact, the easier the problem will be. do u people think Americans are not sensible enough!!! all the killing one another of a thing and the jos crises is a cultivation ground for terrorism to breed. Nigeria is indeed a fail state. angry sad shocked cool
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Iranoladun(f): 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
otondo55:

THAT ONE NA TRUE TALK.

MADAM KEEP-ON THE GOOD WORK

This is extremely hilarious! The picture of women in purdah all in black with a man taken their picture- how will anyone recognise who is who in the picture?

Although, I was not too shock to see a man on a bicycle backing a sheep/ram-I live in Lagos and I have seen Okada man sitted in the middle of 4 jeep tyres while riding his bike! grin

In fact Otondo you made my day grin cheesy
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 27, 2010
ayettymama:

all i know is i wont be taking lessons from this woman!

she may be bold and courageous

but she sure aint smart!

whilst what [b]your sayin makes sense thats neither what she sed nor what she implied![/b]

the woman had nothing to say so decided to cook up senseless conclusions

Woman !!!first of all i cant understand the english  u wrote up there and secondly ,don't misquote me please.I didn't say she used the word opportunity.I only said  the boy had the opportunity to  be an int'l terrorist cos of the father's wealth.
And  nobody is forcing or telling you to take lesson from her.She is only trying to passing her message across to ppeple who fail to do the right thing at the right time
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ayettymama(f): 4:58pm On Jan 27, 2010
the only sentences i was reffering to you was;

whilst what your sayin makes sense thats neither what she sed nor what she implied!

pretty self explanatory but if u dont get it thats kool
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by bayo1(m): 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2010
The fact remains that Mutallab access to wealth paves the way for his joining international terrorist organization, and the fact remains that his brothers at home - the almajirins in the north are causing mayhem due to the poverty and corruptions in the country. If he had no access to wealth, the best he could become would be the local almajirins who kill in the north. If his brothers in the north has thesame access to wealth, they will also graduate to the level of international terrorism.
Stop criticizing Hillary for nothing, she has made her point! Petepete ti mo na labata, eni to ba ki o lo tun be se.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by ayettymama(f): 5:01pm On Jan 27, 2010
^^ that makes perfect sense

but thats not what she said!

thats not even what she meant!!
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by udezue(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2010
Amakaaturuawusa,
Just because you can say "sit down joo" does not mean you know anything about Nigeria. Only a fool will believe that Nigeria is not a breeding ground for terrorists. I'll advise you to move to Northern Nigerian states like Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Bauchi, Zamfara to see if you won't end up a victim of terrorism by Islamic militants. Know something before you jump on any bandwagon.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Wrex(m): 5:12pm On Jan 27, 2010
What has poverty got to do with extremism.This woman does not know what she is talking about.All those suicide bombers ain't poor.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by boyt1: 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2010
Wrex:

What has poverty got to do with extremism.This woman does not know what she is talking about.All those suicide bombers ain't poor.

no mind the Iyawo, she rap shit
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by emonkey(m): 5:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
You really need to live outside Nigeria for a while to appreciate how much Nigerians are disliked. We are perhaps the most distrusted people in any country. So what do you expect. If HC had a choice Nigeria should be nuked . Good riddance .
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by naijaking1: 5:46pm On Jan 27, 2010
Wrex:

If you don't know how extremism is related to poverty, then I would advice you not to expose your ignorance here, better to pick up a book on the social sciences, like Sociology/History/Regious studies.
Because you simply don't know a fact exist, doesn't mean that fact doesn't exist in actuality.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by rafcrown(m): 6:46pm On Jan 27, 2010
Absolute Nonsense
She should blame
1 UK
2 YEMEN
3 USA
4 BIN LADIN AND HIS FOLLOWERS
If she has issues to resolve with Nigerian Leaders
Thats a different ball game.
London varsity to investigate AbdulMutallab’s radicalisation
By Agency Reporter, Published: Wednesday, 27 Jan 2010

WHY IS UK UNIVERSITY INVESTIGATING HIS RADICALISATION?

Abdulmutallab

University College London, the British university attended by Nigerian terror suspect, Umar AbdulMutallab, has said that it will investigate all aspects of the suspect’s time at the university.

AbdulMutallab is accused of trying to destroy a United States airliner on Christmas Day by igniting explosives concealed in his underwear. He has pleaded not guilty to a six-count indictment.

The college said it will investigate also campus radicalisation and try to evaluate whether there were any conditions at the school which could push students studying there toward extremism.

According to Associated Press, the college Provost, Prof. Malcolm Grant, said on Monday that an independent review would examine “all aspects of AbdulMutallab‘s time at UCL” and whether the university properly policed speakers invited to campus.

The 23-year-old Nigeria studied engineering at UCL from 2008 to 2010.

Meanwhile, two more senior US senators, on Monday night urged the Barack Obama administration to hand over AbdulMutallab to the military to face further interrogation and charges.

Daily Mail reported that Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Senator Joe Lieberman, and a Republican member of the committee, Senator Susan Collins, demanded that AbdulMutallab be charged as an enemy combatant rather than in a US criminal court.

The decision to charge him in a criminal court “almost certainly prevented the military and the intelligence community from obtaining information that would have been critical to learning more about how our enemy operates and to preventing future attacks,” they said in a letter to Attorney-General Eric Holder and Obama‘s counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan.

AbdulMutallab was interviewed for about an hour by Federal Bureau of Investigation’s agents and a day later was charged in a US criminal court with trying to blow up Northwest flight 253 as it was approaching Detroit from Amsterdam on December 25, 2009.

How the Obama administration handled the case has become almost daily fodder for Republicans, who accuse the White House of not being tough enough on national security matters, charges officials have denied.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by mojojojo(m): 7:11pm On Jan 27, 2010
Sure we have problems. Plenty of them. And we know more than anybody what our problems are because we are the one suffering everyday. But to label us a terrorist country just because we have bad leadership and bad governance is entirely out of line.
Nigeria may not be the best country in Africa but we are far better than many other countries. She says illiteracy indices are down; that is just not true. Nigeria has had 68% literacy for over ten years now. This is better than Ghana and Cameroon. Coupled with the fact that we are 6 times the size of Ghana or Cameroon, the number of literate people in Nigeria is more than the population of Cameroon and Ghana combined.
Extremism has no color, religion, race or nationality. So they should come up with better ways to fight terrorism because this is just laziness.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by mastalee(m): 7:15pm On Jan 27, 2010
No comment
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by rafcrown(m): 7:33pm On Jan 27, 2010
They are just happy and interested ASSOCIATING anything that is bad with Nigeria
The Husband was quoted to have said that years back a black man would have been serving tea in White House
The utterances and comments of the wife herself about Africa is negative negative and negative
I am extremely glad that
She is not the elected US PRESIDENT
YOU ALL HATE NIGERIA.WHY?
NO MORE BUSINESS?
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Baptizer: 7:36pm On Jan 27, 2010
She is becoming a much of a muchness, possibly because of militancy action in the Niger delta she is correlating it with terrorism. Her speech shows that she was not well informed about events and happening in some parts of the world. In as much as I appreciate her boldness and audacity in addressing the issue of corruption in our so-called leaders she should not step out of bound. shockedshockedshocked
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by bobokelly(m): 7:44pm On Jan 27, 2010
Please lets stops killing and killing every time , these many be one the reasons, for her statements.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by macroworld: 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2010
Whenever Hillary talks about Nigeria you get a clue as to what happens next. The last time she visited Nigeria she referred to Nigeria's link with international terrorism. Some months later Abdul Muttallab happened. Though there are still a lot of unanswered questions around the attempted bombing especially around US.

Now please note a statement from the report that was claimed she made to some State Department Officials as below.

"I do think that Nigeria faces a threat from increasing radicalisation that needs to be addressed, and not just by military means" she said.

So does this mean that the US are planning or have planned some "military" activities against Nigeria ?
When she said "not just by Military mean", does she mean it would be stretched further than just military means and could involve US occupation of Nigeria and so on. I think we need to be concerned by that Statement and it might be a good idea if she did some clarification as to what she meant by Military means. This might be necessary for the good of both US and Nigeria especially because some American and Nigerian Citizens are of the opinion that the attempted bombing was a set-up to justify military actions against Nigeria just like Iraq etc. More so because of the so many unanswered questions around the attempted bombing. Like the update of the bombers activities ( almost 2 weeks) in Ghana, the guy who was supposed to have assisted him unto the flight at Amsterdam as witnessed by Kurt Haskell, the Lawyer who was also a passenger on the plane, the other person who was arrested from the same flight after bomb sniffing dog was on him as witnessed by Kurt Haskell and another passenger confirming the arrest etc, the list is endless.

Yes, US or any Country fighting terrorism should be supported, but at the back of this, clarifications are needed over some ambiguities around this whole development.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by DOAweb(m): 8:04pm On Jan 27, 2010
e-monkey:

You really need to live outside Nigeria for a while to appreciate how much Nigerians are disliked. We are perhaps the most distrusted people in any country. So what do you expect. If HC had a choice Nigeria should be nuked . Good riddance .

@e-monkey

Do agree with your . . .Nigerians are disliked but not the . . . Nigerian should be nuked. Abeg I still get families plenty for that dying nation. Yes I am reiteiraitng my conviction that Nigeria should break up, she is dying slowly but surelysad sad sad
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by chuxy12(m): 8:31pm On Jan 27, 2010
Just because you can say "sit down joo" does not mean you know anything about Nigeria. Only a fool will believe that Nigeria is not a breeding ground for terrorists. I'll advise you to move to Northern Nigerian states like Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Bauchi, Zamfara to see if you won't end up a victim of terrorism by Islamic militants. Know something before you jump on any bandwagon.
@ udezue
i really love ur reply to Amaka.
probably, HC mght not be accurate in her assesment of naija but our potential for raising future terrorist is not in doubt. check this out:
1. it was on record that former zamfara state gov , yerima led an open street jubilation immediately after 9/11 bombing.
2. the denmark cartoon of prophet mohd led to the destruction of churches in nigeria
3. the beauty queen pageant which was supposed to be hosted in nigeria had to be postponed because of riots that broke out in zaris and abuja
4. the uncountable islamic school all over the north were almairis are nurtured, indoctrinated and filled with hate and encouraged to carry out riots against xtian
5. the various panels raised after every religious riot are often concluded without anybody being jailed or convicted
There are a lot more factors that could be used to justify nigeria as a failing /terrorist state.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by klerry(m): 8:38pm On Jan 27, 2010
US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton has blamed failings by Nigerian leaders for increasing "radicalisation" among young Nigerians.

She pointed to poor living standards and "unbelievable" corruption.

Why can't people just talk about the point raised in the first paragraph which is 100% true about Nigeria, we are so used to chasing shadows in this country.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by oge4real(f): 9:14pm On Jan 27, 2010
Abeg, make she go sidon for dirty! Who asked her opinion?
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by Oboma1(m): 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2010
klerry:

US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton has blamed failings by Nigerian leaders for increasing "radicalisation" among young Nigerians.

She pointed to poor living standards and "unbelievable" corruption.

Why can't people just talk about the point raised in the first paragraph which is 100% true about Nigeria, we are so used to chasing shadows in this country.

Na wah oh!.
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by mamagee3(f): 9:35pm On Jan 27, 2010
Is she wrong?, Isn't Yaradua the cause of the war? angry angry
Re: Hillary Clinton Blames Nigeria Leaders For Extremism by rafcrown(m): 10:10pm On Jan 27, 2010
During the electionering campaigns in USA
she was caught telling BIG lies
She travelled to a country where she was well received
But,if i got it right,she twisted the whole story and painted gloomy picture of the trip
If she was once caught lying
I believe all her comments ,
must be cross checked 100000000000000 times before you can believe her

We are talking about terrorism -a young Nigerian trained IN "FINSBURY PARK"
She blamed it on Bad leadership .
What of negligence of duty by security officials abroad?
What of the endless" illegal war " (according to ongoing public hearing in the UK )in the Middle East?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers States Declears Thursday And Friday Public Holiday / Army Uniformed Men Occupy All Oguta And Ohaji Imo / Akwa Ibom People Are The Natural Ally And Friend Of The Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.