Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,362 members, 7,826,425 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. (56788 Views)

Please How Do I Stop This / "Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / 10 Things Parents Should Moderate In Their Children In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Collyno82(m): 9:51am On Jun 28, 2017
sexybbstar:

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1160758180695208&id=100002831124159&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1160758180695208%3Atl_objid.1160758180695208%3Athid.100002831124159%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1498892399%3A8503553852613613052&__tn__=%2As

Culled from the Facebook Page of Buchi95
so in conclusion
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 28, 2017
Sirheny007:
@Op thanks for this exposing this fact..
I am 23, and the responsibilities on my shoulders no be here!
Being an Igbo, I am already expected to start preparations for building a house..and as the first male son of the family, I am forced to sacrifice my academic ambitions in order to provide for my younger brothers...
I had to drop out from a University to settle for a Polytechnic..I traded a 6 year course for a 2 year national diploma..
Anyway, I have learned to put one step at a time.

I am not ranting or exposing my predicaments, but parents might not know these things depresses us..
Parents should watch out lest we die before our time.
My dear you better bone every and build yourself o, don't allow family to pressure u into doing what u shouldn't. Follow your dreams.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gokuu(m): 10:00am On Jun 28, 2017
erico2k2:

I was not talking about the OP I was talking about you and it is very evident that you failed to read btw the lines . I'm a parent to three . You are not . The university of life is a wonderful school of though and it's free . But there is no repeat . My advice plan well . Your savings of 10 years ago is worth a basket of tomatoes only mi et made during the times of needs make sense . Imagine if your Dad saved 500k 1998 and thought that's you sorted for Uni . What is it worth now ? U get where I'm coming from that ur savings might just mean nothing . You can only sustain yoyr commitment only if you are in employment or in Biz at said time.

Oga, saving does not mean keeping 500k under a pillow since 1998. Any decently managed portfolio with AuM of NGN500,000 in 1998 would be worth hundreds of millions right now.
We have two forms of Capital: Human Capital and Financial Capital. At the younger stages of our lives, we have more Human Capital that gradually converts to Financial Capital as we age till retirement. The main problem with Nigerian parents is that they consume the entirety of their Human capital instead of converting a portion to Financial capital in the form of a strong investment portfolio; that is recipe for future perpetual dependence on others.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Learnstuffs: 10:19am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:
I knew this was going To hit fp
Now op stop being selfish
we live in Africa this is how things are done over here

it's the responsibility of the first male cuz he's a man if it is to be the head of the home now nd how a man and woman can never be equal we will keep on hearing men men but now it has come to work all men af ran..

men are just crazy scum
useless and just disgusting
I'm happy I'm a lesbian honestly
All your posts in Nairaland is about criticising men. It's not your fault shaka. I wonder how you treat your dad
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by pansophist(m): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2017
I only feel responsible to my parents, to cater for them if needed, giving the pensionless society Nigeria is. It is the moral thing to do and perfectly justified. They have paid their price to make you the person you've become, it's unethical to turn your back on them. But if my siblings, who contributed nothing in my life, have no enduring sickness, are not physically challenged, are mentally stable, healthy, but think because I am the eldest, or I am the most successful, then chose to depend on me for his future subsistence, they will be in for a rude awakening.

The reason why many people keep enduring the pain of raising their siblings is that they do not want to be alienated or tagged the bad one but again, I have learned that in life you can't satisfy people, including your immediate families. If truly blood is thicker than water, then they should go hustle and stop depending on me if they truly love me. If you called yourself a sibling, then choose to be lazy and depend on milking me through the sibling angle, then you do not love me and consequently do not deserve my assistance.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 28, 2017
gokuu:

You are truly DEPLORABLE!
i was forced to.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 28, 2017
Learnstuffs:

All your posts in Nairaland is about criticising men. It's not your fault shaka. I wonder how you treat your dad
i don't think she has any male individual in her life hence the hate and anger towards men.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by TheEminentLaity: 11:12am On Jun 28, 2017
No news here. Africans are irresponsible undecided
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by 9jageekz(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

it's the responsibility of the first male cuz he's a man if it is to be the head of the home now nd how a man and woman can never be equal we will keep on hearing men men but now it has come to work all men af ran..

men are just crazy scum

You just confirmed my assumption.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2017
gokuu:

Oga, saving does not mean keeping 500k under a pillow since 1998. Any decently managed portfolio with AuM of NGN500,000 in 1998 would be worth hundreds of millions right now.
We have two forms of Capital: Human Capital and Financial Capital. At the younger stages of our lives, we have more Human Capital that gradually converts to Financial Capital as we age till retirement. The main problem with Nigerian parents is that they consume the entirety of their Human capital instead of converting a portion to Financial capital in the form of a strong investment portfolio; that is recipe for future perpetual dependence on others.
Ok Bross suprise me . How much human savings and capital savings ha e you done ?
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 11:22am On Jun 28, 2017
pansophist:
I only feel responsible to my parents, to cater for them if needed, giving the pensionless society Nigeria is. It is the moral thing to do and perfectly justified. They have paid their price to make you the person you've become, it's unethical to turn your back on them. But if my siblings, who contributed nothing in my life, have no enduring sickness, are not physically challenged, are mentally stable, healthy, but think because I am the eldest, or I am the most successful, then chose to depend on me for his future subsistence, they will be in for a rude awakening.

The reason why many people keep enduring the pain of raising their siblings is that they do not want to be alienated or tagged the bad one but again, I have learned that in life you can't satisfy people, including your immediate families. If truly blood is thicker than water, then they should go hustle and stop depending on me if they truly love me. If you called yourself a sibling, then choose to be lazy and depend on milking me through the sibling angle, then you do not love me and consequently do not deserve my assistance.

Well said you will be suprised that it's even those who are still fed by thier parents are the ones drumming 4ward this school of thought cos for those of us who are at the stage of life where commitment can ne er finish we know different
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 11:24am On Jun 28, 2017
gokuu:

You don't 5H ink yoyr parents who suffered gave up groving . Gave up driving a good car , spent all his salary to make sure you got a good education is not worth helping in times of needs ? Is this what you are saying ? Cos this is what I'm asking
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by TheEminentLaity: 11:26am On Jun 28, 2017
Poor people mentality. Even the rich and educated in the society give birth to children like abjectly poor people. Atiku has over thirty children, Obasanjo too numerous to mention etc. Someone would say they have a lot of money so its okay, Please undecided Only primitive animals, mentally undeveloped humans give birth to children like that. People who are clearly irresponsible in their nuclear affairs are the ones in charge of an aggregation of diverse multitudes of individuals of a nation. Are we surprised? There is just something wrong with africans, no foresight for the future, no thought about making life easier for their offsprings, leaving a legacy, creating generational wealth. Bloody animals because of foolish culture and sometimes religion.

I barely survived with a certain amount of money, therefore, now that I have a lot of money I would bring more and more children until they only have to barely survive with a little more than I had when I started. Good thinking man, very sophisticated.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gabbytabby: 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2017
I am going to flip the coin and say first born and others at what point would you grow some balls and start acting like an adult. Take you life in your hands and stop allowing people to push you around like a child or a mumu.

Yes they are your parents does that mean they earn the right to kill you.

When people carry them load wan put for your head you no fit do ewo run commot. Na person wey allow another pile load for him head na him neck go pain kwo.

You are what you allow.

Make I tell you one story one 15 or 16 year old been think say him papa and mamas done finish for pickins business come back from school come see one of the other wives with belle kukuma call her own mama and have heart to heart with mama say after 4 pickins person wey find trouble go use him or her head carry am oh.

She dodge cane but made sure say them know say no be joke matter even as mama and papa dey laugh and make fun of her. All she mumbled was hmmmmmm.

Is it a coincidence no more happened.

When adulthood reach the 16 year old say she no dey for the business of fish giving but will teach the siblings how to fish after which they are on their own cos as them born na so them born the siblings too and no one be slave to another.

God made it possible after so many obstacles for the 16 year old to be in a position to buy boat and fishing rod and was able to teach the siblings how to fish.

After them learn how to fish did they still try to come collect fish to eat. Human nature na so 16 year old slap them wrist say mba mba. Na the 16 year old turn to eat any fish wey him fancy after the years of panla, shagari and titus while saving up to buy the boat.

Dont allow anyone to set limits on your life. Can you all go to each others houses and feast and be merry on what you have absolutely

sexybbstar:

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1160758180695208&id=100002831124159&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1160758180695208%3Atl_objid.1160758180695208%3Athid.100002831124159%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1498892399%3A8503553852613613052&__tn__=%2As

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by daddytime(m): 12:31pm On Jun 28, 2017
sexybbstar:

The story of my life..first of 10 kids...it is well
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Ugosample(m): 12:39pm On Jun 28, 2017
TheEminentLaity:
Poor people mentality. Even the rich and educated in the society give birth to children like abjectly poor people. Atiku has over thirty children, Obasanjo too numerous to mention etc. Someone would say they have a lot of money so its okay, Please undecided Only primitive animals, mentally undeveloped humans give birth to children like that. People who are clearly irresponsible in their nuclear affairs are the ones in charge of an aggregation of diverse multitudes of individuals of a nation. Are we surprised? There is just something wrong with africans, no foresight for the future, no thought about making life easier for their offsprings, leaving a legacy, creating generational wealth. Bloody animals because of foolish culture and sometimes religion.

I barely survived with a certain amount of money, therefore, now that I have a lot of money I would bring more and more children until they only have to barely survive with a little more than I had when I started. Good thinking man, very sophisticated.

lol

You dey vex o
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by akaahs(m): 12:52pm On Jun 28, 2017
I remember cautioning my mother on d danger of giving birth to many children after her fifth child, am not gonna sacrifice my future to any of my siblings after all I was not there when she sign her marriage cert. I can only help her but I can kill myself.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by akaahs(m): 1:01pm On Jun 28, 2017
joyAA:
OMG a hundred likes please!

I was just thinking of this yesterday!
Our parents need to be counselled in this regard
You cannot punish your offspring for your own irresponsibility

What if the said firstborn decided to be wayward and instead bring in an illegitimate child?

Our parents should learn to celebrate initiative and responsibility in their children and assist them to be established in life instead of being the one to drag the children down because that's what they do

Also, we the children should borrow sense abeg
You are responsible for yourself first, take good care of yourself and ensure all is well with you. Stop sacrificing your tomorrow because tomorrow you won't have anything reasonable to sacrifice, that's just the truth.

If your parents tell you to send your younger sibling to school, tell them you will support the said Sib full stop. After all they didn't raise you to not have common sense!

Rubbish!!!!
When they were sowing wild oats they were unbothered

So why do you have to pay for it?

Its worse when you are female because both you and your husband will sstruggle to build the family up yet you won't be regarded especially in terms of inheritance because you are bearing your husband's name, yet na you suffer pass yet no thank you while alive, no consolation after death

So just do your bit for your own blood, but never sacrifice your potential for them bcs if you do, you won't be able to help them in future, you become a liability and guess what? They'll get help elsewhere anyway so who is to loose? tongue
African mentality is a killing mentality
Bro to be honest to u, am d first born my family if contributing any thing in d house, I divide it
into number of my siblings what I get is what I give . I can't kill myself
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by kozmicity: 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2017
savagefinder:
look at this wheel barrow.. Either male or female this is something that Happens in our society and its very wrong, I am not the first born but I know what our first child went through and she really suffered it.. You are talking of Africa, pls where did you get this your lesbian life from? What even concerns us with your lesbian life?
Reasonable humans are talking and you just came to show your stupidity.. I am sure if we should type your name in sense.com we will receive an error 404..

With ur face like clitoris

Kondomatic oo!!
Come chew chunchin!!
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 1:09pm On Jun 28, 2017
akaahs:

Bro to be honest to u, am d first born my family if contributing any thing in d house, I divide it
into number of my siblings what I get is what I give . I can't kill myself
Thank you,you can't give what you do not have .In the African home you parents ha e to pay your fees until you start working . Cloth you,feed you . Pay medical bills house you even after uni then such father will ask for just school fees for your younger ones you have the money U wan gap mouth .
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Liljeez(m): 1:39pm On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

men are just crazy scum

But the fact that you are a lesbian doesn't automatically you shouldn't have sense na
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by mrmakios092: 2:07pm On Jun 28, 2017
the best way to boost your account
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 28, 2017
Bisi Alimi said the same thing, yall came for his head.

Nigerians have issues walahi
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by nypha: 3:32pm On Jun 28, 2017
sexybbstar:

Its not only the 1st children this happens to. It can be any of the kids.

Sincerely, if you happen to fall into the shoes of this your friend in your family, you will understand how hurting it is when these your siblings grow up to full adults, begin to disrespect you BC things have become tough for you.

I understand where you wrote of thinking suicidal. People will find it difficult to understand but, when after years of suffering and labouring for your siblings without concentrating on yourself and it all turns out that you didn't actually reach your desired height in life, being mistreated by the same people you gave your all to, can make you think twice about helping your immediate family (both older & younger ones).

You don't have to feel entitled to them BC you took care of them, but, after years of toiling for them and life turns out with a bit of set back, instead of them encouraging you, you will be surprised at how much they will contribute to your feelings of taking your own life.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by engrolawei: 6:22pm On Jun 28, 2017
men are just crazy scum
I'm happy I'm a lesbian honestly [/quote]

If you're happy being a lesbian, why didn't you flag your pic? You'll need a man someday
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by jy2kbeyond(m): 6:48pm On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

it's the responsibility of the first male cuz he's a man if it is to be the head of the home now nd how a man and woman can never be equal we wi
ll keep on hearing men men but now it has come to work all men af ran..

men are just crazy scum

Sure? Relax. Now think all over again.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Kondomatic(m): 6:59pm On Jun 28, 2017
kozmicity:

Kondomatic oo!! Come chew chunchin!!

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by evexx1(f): 12:43am On Jun 29, 2017
Well said.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Adeboyefa(f): 10:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
This is what a smart first child with many siblings should do :

1. Train the immediate younger sibling and let him train the next one, 3rd trains 4th, 4th trains 5th, etc. This won't burden anyone. If you train all your younger siblings before marriage, some of them will be having children before you finish training the youngest one and you will be expected to train their children as well, especially if their baby papas or baby mamas abandon them .

2. If you want to marry early, move away from home and send the money you can afford into their bank accounts. Else, they will keep scaring away all your potential spouses . You even have to do a registry wedding if they keep disapproving of everyone you bring home.

A woman must get married on time, even if her immediate younger sibling's education is slow. Help them from afar (by paying into their bank accounts) once you are ready to get married.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by mmsen: 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2017
Afam4eva:
I've seen people bringing up this school of thought more frequently recently and i think it' imperative that i add my 2cents.

We have become very stingy and greedy generation. These days people just want to enjoy by themselves without anybody to fend for.

As much as i believe that the burden should be reduced on the first borns, it's important to note that almost every good thng of life usually accrues to first born but educationally, financialy etc in order for them to come out better human beings and be able to fend for the younger ones who weren't as privileged.

For them to now come out when they have "Made it" and start complaining is selfish in my opinion. We're not American for fvck sake. Our families are our lives. We have to take care of them until they stand on their own feet.

You talk absolute nonsense.

A lot of people (especially in Nigeria where people don't think before they do) are born into families where they aren't able to take care of those children. The first born usually bare the brunt of this unpreparedness.

As to your comment about being 'selfish', what is more selfish than having children, not because you have anything to offer them but because you want to brag about how many you "done born"?

It's almost as if you are in complete denial as to how many of Nigeria's problems are due to reckless breeding, irresponsible parenting and a lack of demographic planning. The same nonsense that Nigerians do within the nuclear family is the same reckless way that they have managed government (and some private businesses), this is the reason for the chaos and stop-start development.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by anoda(m): 9:43pm On Oct 14, 2017
Evablizin:
As in eeh is like this issue want to be tagged as culture,you will see a guy or lady saying i'm the first son or first daughter for that reason all family burdens is on his/her shoulder,when some of them gets married you will see this issue interfering leading to some broken marriages

no be lie ooo, imagin husband will spend more than half his earnings to feed his siblins, untill he too will get poor and his own family suffers. Too bad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Impregnates His Sister In-law To Punish His "Abusive" Wife / 11-years Without A Child Only To Find Out My Wife Has Been Aborting Our Baby / People Please Have Mercy On Me Before I Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.