Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. (56694 Views)

Please How Do I Stop This / "Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / 10 Things Parents Should Moderate In Their Children In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by lydiaoluwaseyi(f): 6:34am On Jun 28, 2017
that mentality is really wrong nd should be corrected
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 28, 2017
sexybbstar:
Nigerian parents...

It is very wrong and sentimental to give birth to children and think the oldest will take care of them. They didn't force you to bring them into this world; you did the konji, you ushered them in, please it's still your work to take care of them and no, when you're taking care of your children, its not a privilege, it's their right, it's what they deserve, so do it with all manner of responsibility and commitment.

An acquaintance of mine was suicidal last week because of the burden of his family on him. He's the first child and is 38 yet unmarried and almost has nothing standing, why?
He started hustling at 23 for his ungrateful siblings. His parents said it's his responsibility to do so.
To fend for them..
To give them a life..
So it's made his life almost a waste of time for himself..
Working profusely for others, who don't even care, who own it up like it's their right..
He was supposed to get married at 29 but crucibles of life's experience in the confines of the pressurised burden of taking care of his adult siblings didn't let him.

Tell me,
What freaking culture validates this nonsense practice?

Many Nigerian parents just produce children and give one the responsibility of what they caused.
Give birth to one if it's one you can take care of..
Parenting isn't about how many children you have but how well you treat them, how much can you groom them?

Quantity is needless when resources is unavailable..
Stop producing children by faith.
Stop heaping needless responsibilities on children that should plan their lives and focus.
Give all your children equal opportunity to face their lives and career.
Ain't saying they shouldn't help each other,
It's called ‘HELP’ not ‘RESPONSIBILITY’
Help is out of love or compassion..It's voluntary.
Your eldest child is not an assistant parent.
Yes, they are supposed to do well, and have others follow their legacy..
But having them feel forcefully committed to solving the problems of their siblings; that's way too ridiculous.

Many first children don't live long because of the pressure, the load, the burden, and even on top of it, these folks feel so entitled to being fed and given everything they ask.
I understand that all these play out as a result of frustration and inability to fend for your children, and that's why I'm attacking the root cause: Bear children you can comfortably fend for.
It is highly painful having one of your children give up on their dreams and entire life's passion to spend his/her own life taking care of other siblings. That's a waste of destiny. We all are here for our individual purposes.

Culled from the Facebook Page of Buchi95

Thoughtful! It is however unfortunate that it would take more than miracles for some of these parents to allow that. What will you say in situation where a mother earns as monthly pension (120k) more than what her son earns as salary (87k). She lives in her own house, no other kids that she is sponsoring. She has a shop that brings in money for her (in addition to her monthly pension) . The son however has three kids, labouring to keep his family comfortable at the detriment if his own comfort. He still manage to give the mother a little stipend on monthly basis (because they say we must take care of our parents) , yet she complains that the guy wasn't responsible to her as he should.
We live in a society where things sometimes go out of hand. And like I said, it will take miracle for these people to see reasons with us. Though, what we need isn't miracle,, it's decisive actions.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Emmahunk(m): 6:56am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:
I knew this was going To hit fp
Now op stop being selfish
we live in Africa this is how things keep re done over here

it's the responsibility of the first male cuz he's a man if it is to be the head of the home now nd how a man and woman can never be equal we will keep on hearing men men but now it has come to work all men af ran..

men are just crazy scum
useless and just disgusting
I'm happy I'm a lesbian honestly

Are you kidding me? It's okay if you choose to be a lesbian, it's your life but why so much hatred for men? We definitely have our shortcomings just like women too. Slow down on the hatred dear, a possible ingrate amongst men does not make all of us "crazy scum, useless and just disgusting.
Finally on the issue at stake, don't allow your hatred for us to becloud your sense of judgement. The Op was right, parents should take care of the children they bring into the world. I pray that you find love someday soon.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by cocoberry(f): 6:58am On Jun 28, 2017
fluxbush:
Wow! A very powerful topic. This is something that we have refused to address. I didn't grow up in a family where the first child is expected to take care of all the financial responsibilities, neither do my extended relatives behave thus. You can imagine my irritation when I married into one. My husband even sends money to his married elder sister, all in the name of being an 'Okpara'. His mum objected to our marriage because 'he hadn't settled her yet'. His siblings demand for everything you can think of,never mind if he is broke or not. And when he doesn't oblige them, they start with the emotional blackmail. It has gotten worse since marriage. Now if he doesn't oblige them, they say it is his wife.

The ironic thing about such families is that they monitor the expenses of their son's/brother's home. They never fail to 'advise' his wife to cut down on spending and they go as far as insisting that she gets her own means of income.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by judgedredd22(m): 7:23am On Jun 28, 2017
uminem02:
Aswear!!!...blike say na inside pressure cooker i dey

haba... and you still never done?! grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by judgedredd22(m): 7:24am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:
we live in Africa this is how things are done over here

it's the responsibility of the first male cuz he's a man if it is to be the head of the home now nd how a man and woman can never be equal we will keep on hearing men men but now it has come to work all men af ran..

men are just crazy scum

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by uminem02(m): 7:29am On Jun 28, 2017
judgedredd22:

haba... and you still never done?! grin grin grin grin
Bros abeg come add d remaining condiments
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by TheSociopath(m): 7:38am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

men are just crazy scum

Unwise comment
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by femi4: 7:39am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

men are just crazy scum
Lesbian my foot!

As at 2nd of March:

My bf of almost a year broke up with me recently, I cried for days, and was severely depressed, I ended all communications with him but lately I keep thinking about him and have this need to talk to him
I really don't know why I feel like speaking to him.

I still love him alot and don't know how to move on

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by olujastro: 7:47am On Jun 28, 2017
My own na reverse case. The youngest of five children being responsible for almost all others. I'm only excited when I give to my mum, the rest na just church mind I dey use.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 28, 2017
femi4:
Lesbian my foot!

As at 2nd of March:

My bf of almost a year broke up with me recently, I cried for days, and was severely depressed, I ended all communications with him but lately I keep thinking about him and have this need to talk to him

hahahaha
laughing so hard here
I love Nairaland too damn much

only a wise person can see I'm just looking for attention

but Bros Na WA for u ooo u really carry your finger go stalk my post

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by femi4: 7:53am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

hahahaha
laughing so hard here
I love Nairaland too damn much

only a wise person can see I'm just looking for attention

but Bros Na WA for u ooo u really carry your finger go stalk my post
lol..... I dey untop your matter
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by bullabong(m): 7:58am On Jun 28, 2017
Evaberry:

men are just crazy scum
Before you condemn all men as scum or whatever you call it,take a look at urself in the mirror for 5 minutes and speak the truth to urself about what made it possible for u to only attract men of the same quality(scums) Means you are either very cheap or you are also a scum. 14 yrs awaits you here in this world someday when you are caught in the act of lesbianism and maybe another bigger punishment in the after life.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by bunminikan(m): 8:04am On Jun 28, 2017
thanks OP!
this is evil and a national one for that matter. this singular practise has contributed for underdevelopment in our society. there must be an enforced change of attitude.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by solacong: 8:26am On Jun 28, 2017
femi4:
Lesbian my foot!

As at 2nd of March:

gbagaun detector ndewo you sir!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Chidinmaluv22(f): 8:27am On Jun 28, 2017
I do this
but I do it out of love. I believe is God that will reward me
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by fakuta(f): 8:33am On Jun 28, 2017
99% of the parents that are doing this to their children can't get this message
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Ugosample(m): 8:42am On Jun 28, 2017
Phut:

I agree, wholeheartedly. Nigerian's are racing pell mell toward rabid, individualism.

I live in America, a bastion of individualism and I can tell you that it isn't all that great.

Here, people die and decay with no one checking up on them. Neighbors can even go years without as much as a "hi" to each other. Now coming to the family, parents make it all about the kids. On the train you will see a 65 year old grandma with her 10 year old son - if there is only one seat, she will give the seat to the grandson, while she stands. The end result is that you have self absorbed and maladjusted kids, who think the world revolves around them. When they are young adults, they promptly put their parents in old people's homes because they do not want to be bothered. Koreans, Japanese, Chinese etc have certain customs that they have maintained for thousands of years, but Nigerians are too quick to copy everything Western. In a few hundred years, Nigerians are going to be a strange hybrid people - who do not have a native language yet speak English with a strange accent. A people who are not from the western hemisphere, but have only a mangled version of western culture, as their guide for daily living.

P.S. There was a thread about a guy and his mom who went to thank K-cee for the money he had given them. One of the commenters was asking (in a condemnatory manner) why they took off their shoes before entering the house. This was pretty common place, back in the day. But now you have the average Nigerian turning up their nose at it, in the name of "modernity". Now, trying entering a Japanese persons house without taking off your shoes. They (Japanese, Chinese and Koreans) are unabashedly themselves. And that is worthy to be emulated.

Well, I see your point, but the thing is that culture is dynamic.
Even those Asians you hailed, they are fast changing their attitudes too, especially the 3rd to 4th generation Japanese/Chinese youths in the U.S. /Canada.

We should just do what is right, that's all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gokuu(m): 9:01am On Jun 28, 2017
gypsey:
yes! men are scum including your father, uncles, brothers grandfather that's if you have any, you are a lesbian because you have failed as a real woman and potential mother and a human being and no man wants you! you are disgusting and i think you will be better off slitting your wrists.

You are truly DEPLORABLE!
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gokuu(m): 9:04am On Jun 28, 2017
gypsey:
Absolutely! one of these people lives in one of my properties he hasn't paid me any rent for nearly 2 years he already has 4 children he can barely take care of and his wife is pregnant again. he tells me that he has no job therefore cannot pay rent. I don't know what to do with this guy i am fed up with him.

Hahaha...and if you kick them out, people will say you are wicked, not the useless couple who bring in children that will be totally disadvantaged in this increasingly competitive world.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Sirheny007(m): 9:05am On Jun 28, 2017
@Op thanks for this exposing this fact..
I am 23, and the responsibilities on my shoulders no be here!
Being an Igbo, I am already expected to start preparations for building a house..and as the first male son of the family, I am forced to sacrifice my academic ambitions in order to provide for my younger brothers...
I had to drop out from a University to settle for a Polytechnic..I traded a 6 year course for a 2 year national diploma..
Anyway, I have learned to put one step at a time.

I am not ranting or exposing my predicaments, but parents might not know these things depresses us..
Parents should watch out lest we die before our time.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gokuu(m): 9:08am On Jun 28, 2017
Coldfeets:
I see so many firstborns complaining.

I am the firstborn.

But I don't just give a fück what the "society" expects from me.

I am on my own.

I let everyone around me to know they are also on their own.

Exactly!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 28, 2017
I can bet my ass the victim is from the southeast. Yorubas don't "use" their children in this manner. Responsibility my foot! Rubbish.

sexybbstar:

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1160758180695208&id=100002831124159&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1160758180695208%3Atl_objid.1160758180695208%3Athid.100002831124159%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1498892399%3A8503553852613613052&__tn__=%2As

Culled from the Facebook Page of Buchi95
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by RockyEyo(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2017
Do you think the parents that need to hear this are reading this?

If an educated and enlightened parent does this then it has to be due to unplanned future (which so many of us here are guilty of, cos of all the experiences we had with insurance in Nigeria).

Meanwhile, @Op hit me up when you become a pensioner parent. do the lil you can and let ur siblings kw that the hustle is real.
What is so killing in our today Nigeria is the fact that we still don't want to teach the younger ones how to fish but complain every time they come asking for fish. I rest my case..........
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by gokuu(m): 9:13am On Jun 28, 2017
Sirheny007:
@Op thanks for this exposing this fact..
I am 23, and the responsibilities on my shoulders no be here!
Being an Igbo, I am already expected to start preparations for building a house..and as the first male son of the family, I am forced to sacrifice my academic ambitions in order to provide for my younger brothers...
I had to drop out from a University to settle for a Polytechnic..I traded a 6 year course for a 2 year national diploma..
Anyway, I have learned to put one step at a time.

I am not ranting or exposing my predicaments, but parents might not know these things depresses us..
Parents should watch out lest we die before our time.

You are the one letting this happen to you.
Advise: you better pursue your dreams and ignore social expectations or you will look back in some decades and always wonder how far you could have gone if only you had pursued your own dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by obi123: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2017
Nyceguy92:
I don't know how the OP arrived at her conclusions but I beg to disagree.
In every family, there is hierarchy and each level, from the oldest to the youngest child, has its expected roles and responsibilities.

I do not agree that a parent would, without some form of empowerment in the form of education or vocational training, totally transfer the burden of catering to the younger ones to the eldest. You would be talking of a family where the man is a loafer, a drunkard.
Or a case where both parents are debilitated and can no longer earn a living.

The case the OP quoted must be a very peculiar one.

The first child is a mini parent. He/she guides and looks after the younger ones, including buying them items.
These are roles they happily assume, even without being asked to do so.

But that does not mean the parents have taken their hands off their statutory responsibilities.
Or what would they be doing with their money if they have it?

no
what the op is trying to say is that parents should stop having kids that they cannot raise , expecting the first born child son or daughter to immediately take up the mantle of responsibility when they themselves are yet to even able to stand causes unnecessary pressure.

With depression on the rise no ones needs that kind of pressure please in this life, if its 2 kids you can raise then have 2 kids for goodness sake , not 8 then you expect your first born child to raise 9 people his/her 7 siblings + 2 parents.
In some cases the pressure sips into the marriage of said first born child thats if they manage to get married, because the funds are now spread so thinly that the pressure will lead to many challenges for all involved.

Anything can happen, parents will get ill, they will die,there will be one project or the other, this same first born child will treat , bury the parents and still raise his/her siblings, then now raise his/her family .

ah ah sometimes the pressure is tooooooooooooooo damn much
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Electroweb(m): 9:30am On Jun 28, 2017
This is very true. A funny one is when a nephew tells you that you have to train him because he assumed his father or mother put you through school.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 9:33am On Jun 28, 2017
gokuu:

Oga, that's why you have what is called "SAVINGS"
Even if you need help from the working child, it'll be highly limited since only two kids are involved. OP is not saying there should not be any help, it just should not be totally consuming and unbearable.
I was not talking about the OP I was talking about you and it is very evident that you failed to read btw the lines . I'm a parent to three . You are not . The university of life is a wonderful school of though and it's free . But there is no repeat . My advice plan well . Your savings of 10 years ago is worth a basket of tomatoes only mi et made during the times of needs make sense . Imagine if your Dad saved 500k 1998 and thought that's you sorted for Uni . What is it worth now ? U get where I'm coming from that ur savings might just mean nothing . You can only sustain yoyr commitment only if you are in employment or in Biz at said time.
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by erico2k2(m): 9:34am On Jun 28, 2017
Electroweb:
This is very true. A funny one is when a nephew tells you that you have to train him because his father or mother put you through school.
Bro leave that thing it's not by force
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Kobicove(m): 9:36am On Jun 28, 2017
This observation is very accurate...

It's also because of this entitlement mindset that corruption has refused to die in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 28, 2017
Thank God I have only 2 younger brothers. They b men.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Italian lady with a Nigerian mother complains about being a victim of racism / 11-years Without A Child Only To Find Out My Wife Has Been Aborting Our Baby / Woman Finds Panty In Her Husband’s Car (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.