Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2066195 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (1696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2015
temizeee:
bro

Please check my signature. Not seeing my pms'
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by seyekan(m): 8:01pm On Jul 17, 2015
Konections pls how much is d used must power cc am interested... Thx
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 1:09am On Jul 18, 2015
NoMoreTrolling:

lol, @ fire extinguisher grin grin

Nope, I didn't plug the cooker directly to the inverter, just a room wall socket wired into the distribution panel which the inverter supplies. However, I did plug the cooker into a kilowatt meter and the reading was about 798 watts, approx 800 watts. Only other load on at the time, was a single 11 watt energy saver bulb. Thing is, the overload alarm didn't even go off, so it must have registered that the power being consumed was less that its rating, yet the wires were still hot in all trials and smelt burnt in like 2 out of maybe 5 trials.

This was just a test for me in order to see if I can run that LG cool gen inverter AC comfortably, but typically, I run max about 400 watts on that inverter, with maybe 1000 watts for like 10 secs when the fridge is starting with other loads, so I've never really had cause to monitor it.

I've already started a savings plan to get a larger inverter in the next few months, for peace of mind. I believe a pre-wired larger inverter at 24v would at least come with wires capable of handling 70% of their rating without the wires getting too hot (maybe just warm). Or better still, a 48V system (less current), but those are a bit more expensive.

Funny thing is, I already bought my mppt tracer charge controller, remote monitor, fuses... and was now saving for panels, before I realized a bigger inverter should come first angry it's really always good to think far ahead in the RE world so your not just buying mismatched systems sad

Probably your wiring is wrong and your are supply the National Grid or feeding the output to the input
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:53am On Jul 18, 2015
temizeee:
At my friend's house imagine an installer installing 8 pieces of 80watt panel on a 24v 800ah setup!!! he also put some crazy heatsink in a box n fix it on d wall calling it charge controller grin grin grin it doesn/t look like pwm/mppt and d worst part is he collected a very HUGE amount of money.
It would be better if he collects more money and he does a satisfying job..........don't know y some local made installer does rubbish n call it job
#just_saying_tho

this is ridiculous n dangerous.....ur friend may at the end damage his 800amphr batt bank, or even set his house on fire, with the level of investment he has made so far,,,he shudnt be dealing with amatuers.......any clown installing only 640w panel for an 800amphf batt bank needs bto be shot in the heart at sunset...and shot again in the head at sunrise...if he is still alive,

if am ur friend..i wud cancel the job and get another installer who isnt greedy and knows what he is doing

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 1:15pm On Jul 18, 2015
NoMoreTrolling:

Thanks dude! I will definitely check out the install. I actually did it myself and didn't use a washer, just a nut to tighten the connection between the battery terminal and the cable ring terminal. An electrician recently worked on something in that room and had to disconnect and reconnect the batteries, so I'll check.

Though the hottest part of the wire, from my observation, was the negative part coming out of the inverter. That wire was supa dupa hot!!! If I had my way, I'd have installed 2 gauge wire in there, but since it's pre-wired, I'd have to open it up, which is a no no.

I've seen you use some PRAG inverters in your install, how are they working out for you? I know the 4kva 24V&48V PRAG don't come pre-wired, so you can basically do wire sizing yourself to get the correct AWG for the system.

I can't get specs of the wire the PRAG 2.5kva uses, but I wonder if it looks safe (pic attached). it seems they are joining two wires together to up the amp carrying capacity.

I had a similar problem with my 24V SUKHAM 1.4KVA inverter a few months back. It also occationally show low battery voltage warning light and switch off even with full battery. Problem was LOOSE NEGATIVE TERMINAL INSIDE THE INVERTER! It was ok once the nut was tightened .

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tolexee: 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2015
Hello House

trying to recover my batteries (2 x 12v 200Ah Amaron Quanta) not holding charge. I've got a Kevin Inverter that seems to charge my battery through the 4-stage charging cycle; I would like answers to the ff;

a. Can i desulfate my batteries using my inverter and solar 60a MPPT Morningstar CC (i.e using two sources of charging at the same time)

b. I've read about desulfator on the thread, i see various brands on amazon (bls, batterytender, batteryminder, pulsetech, wizbang) can someone advice on the best tested with proven result.

@Nomoretrolling can you also share which brand of desulfator you are using.

br

br
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 2:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
tolexee:
Hello House

trying to recover my batteries (2 x 12v 200Ah Amaron Quanta) not holding charge. I've got a Kevin Inverter that seems to charge my battery through the 4-stage charging cycle; I would like answers to the ff;

a. Can i desulfate my batteries using my inverter and solar 60a MPPT Morningstar CC (i.e using two sources of charging at the same time)

b. I've read about desulfator on the thread, i see various brands on amazon (bls, batterytender, batteryminder, pulsetech, wizbang) can someone advice on the best tested with proven result.

br

br

Wit my little knowledge once ur CC current/voltage is higher dan d inverter chargin current/voltage d inverter shuld see ur bat3 as full aand cut off d chargin from d inverter. Also if ur inverter is higher ur CC wil see it full also cuttin off its chargin.
I be original DIY and not a pro.
Attached my own disulfator

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 9:36am On Jul 21, 2015
Enjoy your constant power with this package. Champs league in HD.
https://www.nairaland.com/1580792/new-satellite-openview-hd-free-to-air/3#36113517. Call 07055529276 viaziconcepts@gmail.com. Its free forever.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:56am On Jul 22, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

USA TROJAN L16-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (410AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 75k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... "STILL OUT OF STOCK".

MERCURY tubular/flooded deep cycle batteries 12v 220a "comes with electrolyte level indicator covers and 1 yr & half warranty".......... @60k

Latest model 10kva servo stab (AC input range 80V-270V)....... @55k

The EP Solar "I TRACER" 60a mppt controller is simply rugged compared to Morningstar price and has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)...@ call for price

MUST POWER 2kw 12v, 2kw 24, 3kw 24v,3kw 48v , 6kw 24v,6kw 48v pure sinewave LCD power inverter " Inbuilt 35/70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

Bluegate pure sinewave inverters (1kva 12v, 2kva 24v, 3.5kva 24v, 5.5kva 24v) .... In Stock

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:17pm On Jul 24, 2015
Pakingzzz:
Guess we've all heard Solar tracker, a vital device in solar system, i don't know if it's already been
mentioned in one of the numerous pages;
Haven't heard of a company nor individual installing it.
I bet it's a nice investment to make considering the fact it can recover from 40%-60% of the energy from the sun.
To practically test this assertion, I've tried measuring the amps on an 80w solar panel that i pointed directly to the sun. I got around 6.8A.
When pointed at 30 degrees away from the sun I got around 3.5A.
But at 45 degrees to the sun the meter reads 1.8A.
Suffice to say this experiment was done around 2.00pm with the sun clearly visible and no obstructing clouds.
You might try that on your own and you would be amazed at the energy that is being wasted using fixed solar panel.
I want to commence building these solar trackers at affordable prices and selling them here in Nigeria. I have already ordered all the parts I would be needing to build it from Aliexpress and Ebay.

Build and I will buy. We should patronize our own. Why are you being from Alibaba and Ebay? Are you not able to find what you need in Nigeria? A majority of the people who sell these items on Ebay purchase from China.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:21pm On Jul 24, 2015
tolexee:
Hello House

br

br

It is like snake oil. Some swear by its properties.
Why do you think you need to desulphate your non flooded batteries?
Simple reason I buy flooded batteries is that I can accomplish this by overcharging it periodically to move the liquids at the bottom to the top. In a Gel or AGM how do you intend to accomplish that?
My 2 cents. Sorry my 2 kobo
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:10pm On Jul 25, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

USA TROJAN L16-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (410AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 75k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... "STILL OUT OF STOCK".

MERCURY tubular/flooded deep cycle batteries 12v 220a "comes with electrolyte level indicator covers and 1 yr & half warranty".......... @60k

Latest model 10kva servo stab (AC input range 80V-270V)....... @55k

The EP Solar "I TRACER" 60a mppt controller is simply rugged compared to Morningstar price and has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)...

MUST POWER 2kw 12v, 2kw 24, 3kw 24v,3kw 48v , 6kw 24v,6kw 48v pure sinewave LCD power inverter " Inbuilt 35/70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

Telecomm used intelligent battery chargers 24v 60a, 48v 30a.

Office used MUSTPOWER power sinewave inverter 2000w 12v ......@40k

Bluegate pure sinewave inverters (1kva 12v, 2kva 24v, 3.5kva 24v, 5.5kva 24v) .... In Stock

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 6:53pm On Jul 25, 2015
chris81964:

Simple reason I buy flooded batteries is that I can accomplish this by overcharging it periodically to move the liquids at the bottom to the top. In a Gel or AGM how do you intend to accomplish that?

I think the desulpator works.....though from reviews..most dont work on agm batts
The science is simple n straight forward....am about acquiring a unit...so will test it on my 2.5yr old half dead lyminous batt.....from reviews also...its best left permanently as it needs minimum of 1month or 10 recharge cycles to start hving an impact

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 7:21pm On Jul 25, 2015
shithapuns:

I think the desulpator works.....though from reviews..most dont work on agm batts
The science is simple n straight forward....am about acquiring a unit...so will test it on my 2.5yr old half dead lyminous batt.....from reviews also...its best left permanently as it needs minimum of 1month or 10 recharge cycles to start hving an impact

with all the reviews you read, you still believe that thing works?

i have gone online and read a lot about all these desulphator thing and its not encouraging,

You can get it and lets see how it works.

good luck
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 7:28pm On Jul 25, 2015
NoMoreTrolling:
Bulbs are getting more and more efficient. Just saw a 6.5 watt led that should equate to a 40 watts incandescent bulb. Not bad at all.

They're expensive though, like NGN1,800 undecided

Guess one has to pay more upfront going the green way.

I currently have some low power bulbs

LED bulbs of 2watts, 4watts( B22 and E27) for now

expecting other sizes
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 10:35pm On Jul 25, 2015
Konnektions146:

i have gone online and read a lot about all these desulphator thing and its not encouraging,

good luck
still waiting for someone to explain to me how this toy works. Something inverter and cc can't is what we are made to believe that this toy can do, hum lipsrsealed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 1:05pm On Jul 26, 2015
JUO:
still waiting for someone to explain to me how this toy works. Something inverter and cc can't is what we are made to believe that this toy can do, hum lipsrsealed

My dear, I am waiting too
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by baba11(m): 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2015
GeorgeD1:

Javid4me,
check your mail. i have replied you.
According to research we did when I built my final year project which was automatic solar street light,we found out that for higher intensity of sunlight to be taken by solar panel, it must be placed at an angle of 30 degree South but I saw up there that it must be 45 degree.Which one is correct??

In case external charger is needed ,how will one determine the rating of the one to go for and for the one of charge controller too?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by baba11(m): 3:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
Konnektions146:

good luck
How's solar panel connects in series and parallel?

Which one is bring increase too,current or voltage?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 4:35pm On Jul 27, 2015
baba11:

How's solar panel connects in series and parallel?

Which one is bring increase too,current or voltage?

PV panels connected in series gives more voltage and static current but parrallel increases the current and static voltage.

but you are better of with a higher voltage than higher current before the Charge controller(CC).

you could connect in series to get about 105v , 8.9A and when you feed it into the CC, the controller will take the voltage it wants and does some certain level of conversion of the excess voltage to boost the current and thus more juice into your battery.(only an MPPT can take that much voltage)

E.g. from solar(105v;8.9A) -->Charge controller--54V, 15A-->Battery

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tradeplusib: 4:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
in need of a 96v 30A charge controller, any suggestions please
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 11:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
tradeplusib:

could get you one
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 4:46am On Jul 30, 2015
I'll break my silence awhile. It's agonising to keep quiet at times in a random house.

tradeplusib:

If what you're after is an MPPT charge controller, I think most of the conventional ones handle about 150VDC VoC by default. Do the math from there.

JUO:

I can testify it certainly works. I can as well assure you it's not for all scenarios or even most scenarios. Batteries damaged from abuse derive the least benefits while those which have either suffered neglect (sat a long time without charge) or had a few undercharge cycles seem to be its forte.

chris81964:

Desulphation is actually a plate thing while the charging current handles the mixing of the fluid. Many desulphators could be considered to be like modified PWM chargers (they need a charging source - whether coupled or inbuilt).

In the case of AGM batteries (in my personal experience), desulphation is not a straightforward thing and requires a lot of patience. I have used as many as 14 cycles of charging-desulphation-charging to get some back to nearly full capacity. About 25% of those sitting around for long have gained nearly full capacity. About 60 - 70% (depending on capacity and brand) have attained between 60 - 80% restoration. The remaining 5 - 15% were either unresponsive after numerous cycles or retained too little capacity to be of much use.

Specifically for the mythical AGM batteries (not sealed lead acid), I noticed :
1. Totally "dead" batteries often require a slightly higher than typical voltage and low current to "kickstart" the process.
2. Batteries of 55Ah and lower aren't good candidates. These respond more to controlled overcharging. Desulphators should be installed right from the onset else you'll have little or insignificant benefit.
3. Batteries 250Ah and above require industrial grade desulphators or those specifically labelled for such capacities. The regular desulphator would try your patience to the limit before getting the results you desire (works on the long run).
4. Open the cell caps (many AGM batteries are almost impossible to open without sawing off the top). If the cells are dried out, you're wasting time and other resources. I wouldn't recommend it but while experimenting, adding a sufficient amount of distilled water till the tops are no longer powdery (but not soaked) and leaving for a day or two (while connected to the desulphator but not charging) seems to give remarkably good results. Resume charging after 24 hours of "settling".
5. AGM batteries are tough to desulphate. Try at least 5 days of charging with desulphating-desulphating alone-charging with desulphating before you check for results (assuming your batteries are between 100Ah and 250Ah). Be mindful of the voltage rating and other manufacturer recommendations for your desulphator.
6. I've seen people trying to desulphate the small UPS batteries. I think it's a sheer waste of time (I've tried it too, just to be sure).

Feel free to add more to the list, based on your experience. That's the purpose of the forum.
And as Chris rightly noted, it is indeed like snake oil. For some, it works like magic; for others, baby oil would have been preferable to the nonsense called snake oil.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tradeplusib: 6:28am On Jul 30, 2015
Saipro:
I'll break my silence awhile. It's agonising to keep quiet at times in a random house.

If what you're after is an MPPT charge controller, I think most of the conventional ones handle about 150VDC VoC by default. Do the math from there.

I can testify it certainly works. I can as well assure you it's not for all scenarios or even most scenarios. Batteries damaged from abuse derive the least benefits while those which have either suffered neglect (sat a long time without charge) or had a few undercharge cycles seem to be its forte.

Desulphation is actually a plate thing while the charging current handles the mixing of the fluid. Many desulphators could be considered to be like modified PWM chargers (they need a charging source - whether coupled or inbuilt).

In the case of AGM batteries (in my personal experience), desulphation is not a straightforward thing and requires a lot of patience. I have used as many as 14 cycles of charging-desulphation-charging to get some back to nearly full capacity. About 25% of those sitting around for long have gained nearly full capacity. About 60 - 70% (depending on capacity and brand) have attained between 60 - 80% restoration. The remaining 5 - 15% were either unresponsive after numerous cycles or retained too little capacity to be of much use.

Specifically for the mythical AGM batteries (not sealed lead acid), I noticed :
1. Totally "dead" batteries often require a slightly higher than typical voltage and low current to "kickstart" the process.
2. Batteries of 55Ah and lower aren't good candidates. These respond more to controlled overcharging. Desulphators should be installed right from the onset else you'll have little or insignificant benefit.
3. Batteries 250Ah and above require industrial grade desulphators or those specifically labelled for such capacities. The regular desulphator would try your patience to the limit before getting the results you desire (works on the long run).
4. Open the cell caps (many AGM batteries are almost impossible to open without sawing off the top). If the cells are dried out, you're wasting time and other resources. I wouldn't recommend it but while experimenting, adding a sufficient amount of distilled water till the tops are no longer powdery (but not soaked) and leaving for a day or two (while connected to the desulphator but not charging) seems to give remarkably good results. Resume charging after 24 hours of "settling".
5. AGM batteries are tough to desulphate. Try at least 5 days of charging with desulphating-desulphating alone-charging with desulphating before you check for results (assuming your batteries are between 100Ah and 250Ah). Be mindful of the voltage rating and other manufacturer recommendations for your desulphator.
6. I've seen people trying to desulphate the small UPS batteries. I think it's a sheer waste of time (I've tried it too, just to be sure).

Feel free to add more to the list, based on your experience. That's the purpose of the forum.
And as Chris rightly noted, it is indeed like snake oil. For some, it works like magic; for others, baby oil would have been preferable to the nonsense called snake oil.

I was not referring to Voc but battery voltage @ 96v thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tradeplusib: 6:30am On Jul 30, 2015
Konnektions146:

could get you one

Do you have a reliable one at hand presently? What make and cost please
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 8:54am On Jul 30, 2015
tradeplusib:

Do you have a reliable one at hand presently? What make and cost please

at hand now? no -(its not a moving market , its gotten on demand)

can get it from China in less than a week.

its iPanda. see specs below

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tradeplusib: 9:58am On Jul 30, 2015
Konnektions146:

at hand now? no -(its not a moving market , its gotten on demand)

can get it from China in less than a week.

its iPanda. see specs below

Thanks, need something available now, client is in a rush as usual embarassed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 10:10am On Jul 30, 2015
tradeplusib:

Thanks, need something available now, client is in a rush as usual embarassed

the best i can do is to get it here in 3days(you pick it up on monday morning)

if not, Good luck sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (1696) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Jordifoote and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.