Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,216 members, 7,822,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2075365 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (1699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ilenaira: 6:05pm On Jan 05, 2015
Barezzi:

How can I buy one?
Cant seem to find the new sexy ones on amazon or ebay...
To which are you referring, the CC? I can send you an e-mail address. There'd be a mark-up if you go via ebay/amazon anyway. It would better to go direct. That's how I got mine cheaper compared to some of the shocking ebay/amazon prices.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 6:58pm On Jan 05, 2015
ilenaira:

To which are you referring, the CC? I can send you an e-mail address. There'd be a mark-up if you go via ebay/amazon anyway. It would better to go direct. That's how I got mine cheaper compared to some of the shocking ebay/amazon prices.
Yeah, the CC...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:05pm On Jan 05, 2015
ilenaira:

@kiekie1, the CC is made by epsolar (http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/) and it is MPPT. My Panels are poly but the set to complete the system design will be mono (300 watts, SunEdisons). The mix will allow me to experiment with the mono vs poly debate especially when applied to a climate like ours rather than North America / Europe, etc. I'll post the findings.

Another company you may be interested in is mppsolar (http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/). My inverter is from them and they've been very helpful with technical advice on how to rectify what the plonker that I entrusted with its care, did to it.

Thanks for the reply. Cheers !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 12:10am On Jan 06, 2015
salam12:

If batteries less than 6 months old, you stand the chance of adding batteries of same spec to existing string.
Meanwhile does your controller has manual and can you possibly share it picture. Also, what is your battery specification as regard cycle voltage and float setting.

my batteries are emerson (12v 200ah) x4 , their float voltage is 13.6v/units. The charge controller is wellsee, (40amps 40v). in the manual full charge cut 54.8v, low voltage cut 42 v. i will attach a pix .thnx again
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 10:26am On Jan 06, 2015
samnaija:

my batteries are emerson (12v 200ah) x4 , their float voltage is 13.6v/units. The charge controller is wellsee, (40amps 40v). in the manual full charge cut 54.8v, low voltage cut 42 v. i will attach a pix .thnx again
now i see the reason why you get 24amps max. Please can you upload the picture of your cc and how did you connect the panels?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:13am On Jan 07, 2015
@ juo, the panels each are 24 volts 4 in number. 2 were connected in series separately then the pairs were paralleled together. i appreciate .....am trying to load the pic of the cc.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:14am On Jan 07, 2015
ok loaded the pix

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 5:48am On Jan 07, 2015
your system is 48v? I was thinking is 24v...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 8:12am On Jan 07, 2015
Maybe u should have connected the 4 panels in series...
Whats the max open circuit voltage of the CC? 150Vdc??
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 1:20pm On Jan 07, 2015
@barezzi

i was thinking on the same line, the guy that did the wiring reasoned that since my battery bank is 48v so the panels should be similar. thats how he arrived at 2 (24v panels series) parallelled with another 2( 24v panels series). he also assumed the power discharged by the panels will be higher. if i completely series the 4 panels as you suggested i will get 96v upwards is that okay for my batteries. And i checked my manual for the cc, solar panel input 80volts. advice pls.@
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
samnaija:
@barezzi

the guy that did the wiring reasoned that since my battery bank is 48v so the panels should be similar.
I checked my manual for the cc, solar panel input 80volts. advice pls.@
That works for a PWM cc. For an MPPT cc, the panels can be stacked in series as long as total Voc does not exceed 80Vdc.
Whats the Voc on each of ur panels? Usually, 24V panels have a Voc in the 36Vish region...
If that's the case, u can't connect more than 2 in series undecided
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2015
Dear friends, does anyone here know how I can change the number of batteries in this Tristar MPPT CC?
I entered the number 8 myself a couple of months back but I can't seem to figure how I did it back then.

NB. The float voltage setting is for a 36V battery system.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:24pm On Jan 07, 2015
bode4real:
DIY stuff with total support from BodeJohn. 30amps china Mppt CC for 960wats panel
30A cc using 960W panels on a 24V system?
Looks like u are overloading ur CC.
Your CC cannot handle an array greater than 720W (30A x 24V)
Hooking up a 960W array can drive the current up to 40A, but ur CC will limit it at 30A.
If ur peak current was 24A, I can safely deduce that ur 960W array has never produced peak power up to 600W.

Check ur installation... ur panels are directly on the roof. excess heat? undecided
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
bodejohn:
Dear friends, does anyone here know how I can change the number of batteries in this Tristar MPPT CC?
I entered the number 8 myself a couple of months back but I can't seem to figure how I did it back then.

Dunno if this will help...Dip switch settings?? See attachment.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 5:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
Barezzi:

Dunno if this will help...Dip switch settings?? See attachment.

Thanks but I think the dip switches are not related to the number of batteries.
It was like I used a software that is not MSView to do the settings but unfortunately I can't seem to figure.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2015
Barezzi:

30A cc using 960W panels on a 24V system?
Looks like u are overloading ur CC.
Your CC cannot handle an array greater than 720W (30A x 24V)
Hooking up a 960W array can drive the current up to 40A, but ur CC will limit it at 30A.
If ur peak current was 24A, I can safely deduce that ur 960W array has never produced peak power up to 600W.

Check ur installation... ur panels are directly on the roof. excess heat? undecided

U ar very correct on d CC limitin my amps but I also kno dat i cant get d whole 960w due to losses. Av achieved 766w on peak power. I wil plan to increase d CC to like 45 or 60amps. Also I wil get mountin rails to lift d panels up a bit from d roof.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by RipVanWink: 8:47am On Jan 08, 2015
bodejohn:

that #8 u see there doesnt mean 8 batteries..i use same cc as u..the cc has 1 to 8 dip switches u select based on ur batt type, flooded, sealed etc....on mine i selected dip switch 3, so 3 is showing on my CC,

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:50am On Jan 08, 2015
RipVanWink:

that #8 u see there doesnt mean 8 batteries..i use same cc as u..the cc has 1 to 8 dip switches u select based on ur batt type, flooded, sealed etc....on mine i selected dip switch 3, so 3 is showing on my CC

Thanks, I got it.

I also found out that the number is a combination of dip switches 4, 5 and 6.
For your setup it is 3 because you set the switches 4, 5 and 6 to OFF, ON, OFF respectively for sealed and mine is 8 because I had my switches set to ON, ON, ON which is custom charge settings.

Thanks once again.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:53am On Jan 08, 2015
Good one!
I also have the trystar cc, but its PWM.
I wan sell am, any offers?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:54am On Jan 08, 2015
ilenaira:

I can send you an e-mail address. There'd be a mark-up if you go via ebay/amazon anyway. It would better to go direct. That's how I got mine cheaper compared to some of the shocking ebay/amazon prices.
I am still waiting...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
bode4real:

U ar very correct on d CC limitin my amps but I also kno dat i cant get d whole 960w due to losses. Av achieved 766w on peak power. I wil plan to increase d CC to like 45 or 60amps. Also I wil get mountin rails to lift d panels up a bit from d roof.
his cc is advance pwm not mppt. I may be wrong but any mppt with the 80v Max is not mppt and will Not do the work of mppt. there are Chinese mppt with 150v Max input.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2015
JUO:
his cc is advance pwm not mppt. I may be wrong but any mppt with the 80v Max is not mppt and will Not do the work of mppt. there are Chinese mppt with 150v Max input.

Nop sir. Its mppt
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:20pm On Jan 09, 2015
all,

happy new year to all the good people in the house.
2015 is promising to be a sun-filled year already as my system keeps smiling
on float everyday.

wao! so much to catch up on and so much updates to deliver

will upload details of my yearly turn around battery maintenance carried out last
december in my next post.

i thank you guys for keeping the renewables flag flying all this time.

cheers!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
GeorgeD1:
all,

happy new year to all the good people in the house.
2015 is promising to be a sun-filled year already as my system keeps smiling
on float everyday.

wao! so much to catch up on and so much updates to deliver

will upload details of my yearly turn around battery maintenance carried out last
december in my next post.

i thank you guys for keeping the renewables flag flying all this time.

cheers!

Longest time sir ,

Wishing you a prosperous 2015.
the thread really missed ur input.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hello house! After using inverter for about 3 years (Sukam 1.4kva, 24v, 2 200amp Luminous batteries ) I decided to upgrade to Solar energy. I was able to get 10 used Full Rivers 12v 200amp batteries, 6 used 180w poly panels ( initially imported from USA, ?24v, 72 cells , no other information available ) and a new 3000w 24v, 50amp charger , 3-1 inverter -charger - charge controller.
I connected only 6 of the batteries to the panels and 4 to the old Sukam.
After installation of the panels (all in parallel ) , the inverter displayed the panels as 24 v and a Max charging current of 20 A so far.

My main questions are:
(1) would it not be better to connect the panels as a 2×3 48v system ?
2) will the new combination not drop the charging capability of my system?
Kindly see the attached pics, all advices welcome!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 9:20pm On Jan 10, 2015
guys salam 12, barezzi, juo thanks for all your inputs it as made me take more attention to my system . i have finally detected the fault , my batteries were not being charged adequately because of a faulty charge controller. the wellsee cc brings a very low voltage dragging down the battery volts. house is the away to protect charge controllers from being damaged, because my second battery bank cc was also fried and this makes the second time around. any good recomendations on cc and price would be appreciated. to the house generally very helpful forum...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2015
abunafiu:

Longest time sir ,

Wishing you a prosperous 2015.
the thread really missed ur input.

prof,

top of the weekend to you. its been quite a while indeed.

figures from my battery bank nominal voltages taken during my
last turn around maintenance are quite startling. you'll see what i mean
when i upload figures.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
durodee:
Hello house! After using inverter for about 3 years (Sukam 1.4kva, 24v, 2 200amp Luminous batteries ) I decided to upgrade to Solar energy. I was able to get 10 used Full Rivers 12v 200amp batteries, 6 used 180w poly panels ( initially imported from USA, ?24v, 72 cells , no other information available ) and a new 3000w 24v, 50amp charger , 3-1 inverter -charger - charge controller.
I connected only 6 of the batteries to the panels and 4 to the old Sukam.
After installation of the panels (all in parallel ) , the inverter displayed the panels as 24 v and a Max charging current of 20 A so far.

My main questions are:
(1) would it not be better to connect the panels as a 2×3 48v system ?
2) will the new combination not drop the charging capability of my system?
Kindly see the attached pics, all advices welcome!

1. No, that's a very bad idea, I'm sure the cc in ur 3-in-1 unit is a PWM cc. The voltage band is 30-32Vdc, so u can only connect them up in parallel (24Vdc). Also, the Voc of a 24V panel is above 35V, hence u cant connect them in series...[ur CC has a max Voc of 60Vdc]
2. Such a combination will blow up the cc... tongue
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 11:25pm On Jan 10, 2015
Barezzi:

1. No, that's a very bad idea, I'm sure the cc in ur 3-in-1 unit is a PWM cc. The voltage band is 30-32Vdc, so u can only connect them up in parallel (24Vdc). Also, the Voc of a 24V panel is above 35V, hence u cant connect them in series...[ur CC has a max Voc of 60Vdc]
2. Such a combination will blow up the cc... tongue

Thank God for small mercies! grin if anything blows up now, nah to almost get heart attack be that! Lol!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 11:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
samnaija:
guys salam 12, barezzi, juo thanks for all your inputs it as made me take more attention to my system . i have finally detected the fault , my batteries were not being charged adequately because of a faulty charge controller. the wellsee cc brings a very low voltage dragging down the battery volts. house is the away to protect charge controllers from being damaged, because my second battery bank cc was also fried and this makes the second time around. any good recomendations on cc and price would be appreciated. to the house generally very helpful forum...

Please contact me with your system voltage and location.

Whatsapp: 973-204-1296
BBM PIN: 79395A2D
Email: info@solardepotng.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by salam12(m): 4:37am On Jan 11, 2015
durodee:

Thank God for small mercies! grin if anything blows up now, nah to almost get heart attack be that! Lol!

Before gathering gadgets and equipment, it is onus on everyone to do some research, ask questions and seek opinions of people in order not to end up gathering stuffs that wont fit for purpose.

With the limitations of solar charging side as rightly pointed out by Barezzi, you are caught in-between if Voc for your panel stand around 35v, that mean connecting 2 in series is a No No unless the system has self shut down safety feature.

Way forward, get a suitable MPPT controller that can handle your panels and deliver needed fuel into the batteries and forget about solar charging side of the inverter/charger combination.

To properly charge your six batteries currently on the 3in1 inverter, you need to add more panels assuming your are aiming for 50%DOD.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:32am On Jan 11, 2015
samnaija:

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (1699) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Bignat, dollarnaira and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.