Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,537 members, 7,823,350 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (19369 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 11:51am On Aug 17, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Wait o, over 2k messages, na only you waka come

For the issue, the way I understand it is that the new agent handling the job is claiming the alert was caused by previous agent, which is only possible if the job was assessed before handing over to him. If not, to me, it is a plane greed from the agent after 2m and now want the owner to pay DN of 750k. That means the initial amount paid was below 900k from my own view. To avert further waste of time and demurrage, advice your client to rase it or share the loss with the agent.

This is what happens when people are cajoled to believing what is not. Your previous post on how to satisfy thw m says it all.

If you ask me , na who I go askask lipsrsealed

Wish those over two thousand messages will just turn into cash asap, they're just messages from some motor dealers and church groups I belong to and other people just asking questions and dem no go give you job grin

You got it right

Agent A charged N2.5m while Agent B charged N1.8m. So she decided to give the papers to Agent B not knowing she was jumping into fire.

Now agent B is demanding for 700k,since there's now an alert on the job and a D. N has been raised for it but she now wants Agent A (the guy wey she no give job) to go after Agent B to clear the wahala but agent A politely refused. She had no choice but to call me as another backup but I also declined asap, i've told her to pay the D. N and see it has one spanner lost.

I was just saying something about this yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Wait o, over 2k messages, na only you waka come

For the issue, the way I understand it is that the new agent handling the job is claiming the alert was caused by previous agent, which is only possible if the job was assessed before handing over to him. If not, to me, it is a plane greed from the agent after 2m and now want the owner to pay DN of 750k. That means the initial amount paid was below 900k from my own view. To avert further waste of time and demurrage, advice your client to rase it or share the loss with the agent.

This is what happens when people are cajoled to believing what is not. Your previous post on how to satisfy thw m says it all.

If you ask me , na who I go askask lipsrsealed
bro I buy sheffyutd advice

jaid

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
saintjoel:

Wish those over two thousand messages will just turn into cash asap, they're just messages from some motor dealers and church groups I belong to and other people just asking questions and dem no go give you job grin

You got it right

Agent A charged N2.5m while Agent B charged N1.8m. So she decided to give the papers to Agent B not knowing she was jumping into fire.

Now agent B is demanding for 700k,since there's now an alert on the job and a D. N has been raised for it but she now wants Agent A (the guy wey she no give job) to go after Agent B to clear the wahala but agent A politely refused. She had no choice but to call me as another backup but I also declined asap, i've told her to pay the D. N and see it has one spanner lost.

1) So the chosen agent short quoted the job to get a customer. Okay, the system is to be blamed not the client that opted for the lower price. Shopping for a low price shouldn't be seen as a dirty habit. If the system works well the price can be easily attained, I mean the actual custom fees which should be the same across the board.

Agents can charge whatever service/concierge price they choose based on their level of service, experience, etc

So there are two fees, custom duties and agent service/concierge fees, I think you folks ought to separate those. WHen you do then clients can see which agents is being underhanded.

2) This is the point that is important to me, why are you guys not willing to help? Is it because it will tarnish your image or that you're penalizing the person?

I would hope that UCH will see someone even if they have went to LUTH first.

Read this as intent to learn and educate myself and not a personal attack.

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 4:56pm On Aug 17, 2017
EgunMogaji:

1) So the chosen agent short quoted the job to get a customer. Okay, the system is to be blamed not the client that opted for the lower price. Shopping for a low price shouldn't be seen as a dirty habit. If the system works well the price can be easily attained, I mean the actual custom fees which should be the same across the board.

Agents can charge whatever service/concierge price they choose based on their level of service, experience, etc

So there are two fees, custom duties and agent service/concierge fees, I think you folks ought to separate those. WHen you do then clients can see which agents is being underhanded.

2) This is the point that is important to me, why are you guys not willing to help? Is it because it will tarnish your image or that you're penalizing the person?

I would hope that UCH will see someone even if they have went to LUTH first.

Read this as intent to learn and educate myself and not a personal attack.

Let me just tell you the truth, it was intentional and it's also because we don't want the other agent to see us as "spoil sports",my child is still a baby and I want her to grow up knowing her Dad. At least she knew about us before giving another agent the work,let her bear the consequences,awoof dey run belle. I've had occasions where people will want me to be involved in whatever other agents have done or are about to do but I'll calmly tell them to let the agent do it without involving myself.

The agent in question must be evil and I'll not want to cross his path, for you to have charged N1.8m and you later collected 200k again, which would have done the job if he declared a reasonable year but failed to do so because he wanted to corner most of the money , you won't want to cross path with such person by forming "ITK",he's a sadist...

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 17, 2017
saintjoel:

Let me just tell you the truth, it was intentional and it's also because we don't want the other agent to see us as "spoil sports",my child is still a baby and I want her to grow up knowing her Dad. At least she knew about us before giving another agent the work,let her bear the consequences,awoof dey run belle. I've had occasions where people will want me to be involved in whatever other agents have done or are about to do but I'll calmly tell them to let the agent do it without involving myself.

The[b] agent in question must be evil and I'll not want to cross his path[/b], for you to have charged N1.8m and you later collected 200k again, which would have done the job if he declared a reasonable year but failed to do so because he wanted to corner most of the money , you won't want to cross path with such person by forming "ITK",he's a sadist...

Okay, I hear you, the Nigerian angle.

Family first in everything we do.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 5:09pm On Aug 17, 2017
saintjoel:

The agent in question must be evil and I'll not want to cross his path, for you to have charged N1.8m and you later collected 200k again, which would have done the job if he declared a reasonable year but failed to do so because he wanted to corner most of the money , you won't want to cross path with such person by forming "ITK",he's a sadist...

Lmaooo oooo grin grin grin

I thought you were a military man and deep in christ, why you dey fear shocked Baba you no try tongue

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by bravolad(m): 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2017
saintjoel:

You got it right

It is part of transactional arrangement to bargain in order to arrive at a reduced possible cost for either a product or service rendered. Logically, it is intuitive to align with the agent whose price is slightly below the second agent since both are qualified for the job.

I do not understand why other agents are unwilling to assist her in this regard. Also, there should be a disciplinary body within ANLCA to swiftly handle such matters & sanction the erring agent. I expect that this woman should be referred to such a committee to seek redress.

It's also safe to assume that the so called agent A deliberately & willfully underpaid in order to make more profit. The Debit Note that has so far been issued to the tune of 750k is another opportunity to further milk the woman as the agent will connive with corrupt NCS officials to pay an insignificant amount from the 750k & share the remaining part.

If ANLCA is transparent and cares about importers, this is the kind of case they should be interested in so as to flush out unscrupulous agents who give them a bad name.

Having said the above, you (agents) can make concerted effort to solve the problem.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2017
I hope for a day that I can go to a NCS website and put in the VIN of a car and get the EXACT duties due. I can then print that out and shop for agents.

Not just based on price but also on business acumen, feedback, experience, etc

Maybe my grand children can enjoy such.

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
[/color]
bravolad:

It is part of transactional arrangement to bargain in order to arrive at a reduced possible cost for either a product or service rendered. Logically, it is intuitive to align with the agent whose price is slightly below the second agent since both are qualified for the job.

I do not understand why other agents are unwilling to assist her in this regard. Also, there should be a disciplinary body within ANLCA to swiftly handle such matters & sanction the erring agent. I expect that this woman should be referred to such a committee to seek redress.

It's also safe to assume that the so called agent A deliberately & willfully underpaid in order to make more profit. The Debit Note that has so far been issued to the tune of 750k is another opportunity to further milk the woman as the agent will connive with corrupt NCS officials to pay an insignificant amount from the 750k & share the remaining part.

If ANLCA is transparent and cares about importers, this is the kind of case they should be interested in so as to flush out unscrupulous agents who give them a bad name.

Having said the above, you (agents) can make concerted effort to solve the problem.

Good points. But for the bolded, nothing can change that. It must be paid.

[color=#550000]
bravolad:

I do not understand why other agents are unwilling to assist her in this regard.

It is not that nobody is willing to help but, when you operate in an environment where everything is seen as competition, nobody will teach you to mind your own business. We are jokingly saying it but it is no joke. As EgunMogaji captioned it, Nigeria aspect.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by depair: 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
can the system get to the point where all the cost involved in clearing is stated out as well as agent fee.
I believe there are no two customs in nigeria hence the duty should be same across board while the agent fee is permitted to vary wrt service

I saw previous post where some ask for price to clear a vehicle and diverse prices were quoted hence how do you know who is genuine

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 17, 2017
depair:
can the system get to the point where all the cost involved in clearing is stated out as well as agent fee.
I believe there are no two customs in nigeria hence the duty should be same across board while the agent fee is permitted to vary wrt service

I saw previous post where some ask for price to clear a vehicle and diverse prices were quoted hence how do you know who is genuine

I read that too.

Same car, same year but two different quotes from two different agents.

If the quote was broken down into two like:

Agent A:
Custom Duty: 750,000
Agent Fee: 250,000
Total 1,000,000

Agent B:
Custom Duty: 750,000
Agent Fee: 350,000
Total 1,100,000

Then this is clear that agent B is asking for N100,000 more then I would ask myself what am I getting for the N100,000? If there is a value then I would gladly pay it. May agent B says he will clear the car and store it for me at his house until I arrive in country, maybe he will arrange licensing the vehicle for extra cost, maybe he will arrange for the car to be transported to Sambisa Forest, etc

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Lmaooo oooo grin grin grin

I thought you were a military man and deep in christ, why you dey fear shocked Baba you no try tongue

Bros,na so I see am o. Sometimes it pays to tread with caution.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:35pm On Aug 17, 2017
bravolad:

Sir, you can shortpay when processing fresh duty but if you make any mistake of shortpaying D. N, sorry is your case.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sultaan(m): 4:38am On Aug 18, 2017
To a lion, hyena, and vulture an antelope could be food, leftover, or scrap. But it will always fill the belly
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by bravolad(m): 7:07am On Aug 18, 2017
saintjoel:

Sir, you can shortpay when processing fresh duty but if you make any mistake of shortpaying D. N, sorry is your case.

This is not true, at least, I know better.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by chrisj2020: 9:18pm On Nov 02, 2017
dokiOloye:
I spent a little more than one week in that their Tin Can last year and I can authoritatively tell U that d agents are neck deep into d scam wt d custom officials themselves.An agent somebody recommended for me pocketed a large chunk of d money he charged me to clear my car and then paid for 2007 model,used biro to alter d year to 2009 and when customs placed an alert on d car,he started telling me FG increased duty,bla bla bla.
I took d next available flight to Lagos and went to that Tin Can command wt a customs officer friend and d truth was revealed to us.
I ended up spending another 800k in fines and bribes b4 d car was released to me.
The sad part is that that is what 90% of d so called agents do cos I spent at least 7 working days in that Tin Can and was just observing d so called agents perform all sorts of dishonest acts,would call their clients on d phone and tell them all sorts of lies,some will collude wt d custom agents and underpay,when u get on d road wt Ur car,wetin U see,U take.
And for d guy saying U need 30million bla bla bla to set up DTI abi wetin,do U mean to tell us that every of those hungry looking miscreants wt a 50naira paper ID card on his neck paid 30m??
As I said earlier, d customs officials are enjoying d sleaze too,that's why they cannot liberalise d process so ppl can clear their cars themselves cos if d security men at d customs seat don't know u or u don't have that kpakoo ID card, they won't allow U in,U will only rely on what d crooked agents and their partners in crime tell U.

People are tired of fraudulent activities if the so called clearing agents. I agree with OP, Tin Can is not the place you want to be if you are looking for transparency and straightforwardness.
When 99% are corrupt it is hard or almost impossible to trust the remaining 1%. Here i am going to give you clues how to spot a straightforward and genuine agent.
1. He must provide you with FORM which you will fill out before you start any deal with him.
2. His residential address must be verified by you because many if them dont have office.
3. Never pay by cash. Every payment must be into his bank account. Any nonsense ir story, use police or EFCC to arrest and prosicute him for fraud

It pains me how these bad ones are spoiling our name and they have succeded in building distrust in the job.
However we Nigerians have to change this our culture of "my friend or my brother or somebody introduced him/her to me". Use your own senses.
Though you have not met me before and no one is introducing me to you but try me and share your experience here.
I am a clearing agent with integrity and moral principles. I believe that people deserve to be told the whole truth so that they can make a choice that suits them best.
Call me and i will give you quote (accurate) for any car you want to clear. I will take you to my house where i live in lagos. You will fill a form and we sign agreement before we start. And you pay into my bank to avoid any kind of nonsense.
09098522067 or chrsjid2000@gmail.com.
You will never regret working with me.

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by komekn(m): 5:35pm On Nov 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I hope for a day that I can go to a NCS website and put in the VIN of a car and get the EXACT duties due. I can then print that out and shop for agents.

Not just based on price but also on business acumen, feedback, experience, etc

Maybe my grand children can enjoy such.

This government talks about raising foreign exchange.

In one swoop pay duty online in the country of purchase and export in €€ ££ $$. That will end 50 years of institutionalised corruption and Egunje. Imagine the foreign currency that will generate for Nigeria.

But wait a minute are we ready for truth, honesty and unquestionable probity. I am not convinced

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 10:07pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

This government talks about raising foreign exchange.

In one swoop pay duty online in the country of purchase and export in €€ ££ $$. That will end 50 years of institutionalised corruption and Egunje. Imagine the foreign currency that will generate for Nigeria

But wait a minute are we ready for truth, honesty and unquestionable probity. I am not convinced

Oops, this will only increases the pressure on the naira. Your proposal is assuming vehicles exporters / importers are based in countries of origin. In reality, majority if not all are based in Nigeria. It will mean sourcing for more FX to buy, ship and duty payment.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by thetelz(m): 12:56am On Jul 17, 2018
I have some research to do about freight forwardimg, how clearing agents work in Nigeria, can i get someone to put me through?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Jul 17, 2018
sheffyUTD:

Oops, this will only increases the pressure on the naira. Your proposal is assuming vehicles exporters / importers are based in countries of origin. In reality, majority if not all are based in Nigeria. It will mean sourcing for more FX to buy, ship and duty payment.
Some people are doing that in the Uk as we speak

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2018
abeg is anyone still offering customs no verification?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Cool An Overheated Engine (Photos) / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident / You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.