Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,238 members, 7,957,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:55 PM

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (20265 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 10:10am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Thank you for this sir. So much unawareness.

What they don't even know is that you have to wait for months before your papers come out and it's so bad that you see them going around with temporary plate numbers,that's how expensive it is. The 500,000 Cefa is just for vehicles in transit.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 10:43am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

I believe you read the post from the beginning. I asked him the basis of his calculation and he reference the value OP quoted, fine. The calculation was correct. In the same post, he turned to say that's d duty to be paid for 2015 Camry. That is why I asked him to quote from value chat the value for the car and how he arrived at the quoted duty. If he's in the know of how things work with Nigeria customs, your purchase price don't work for vehicles; except general cargo.

The main motive for asking the question of basis this. To avoid misleading people. Yet, some are already saying corruption fighting back. nobody is trying to discredit him.

For clarity sake, 2015 Camry value on Customs chat is $28k for hybrid and $33,000 for normal. Using the smaller value
I.e

28,000 * 306 (exchange rate) = 8,568,000
@ 35% (surface duty) = 2,998,800
With this total duty is (surface * 1.281) = 3,841,463

Now, for customs to give you 1.5m as surface instead of 2.9m, if they will ever give, how much will they take from valuation unit, releasing officer, gate, Customs Processing Center and others. This is a simple thing I expected when I asked for people to understand. Nobody is trying to rip off or scam anyone.

I hope the shady aspect is not for me sir.

Thanks for the clarification. I never said your are shady. I don't even know if you are an agent! Am only speaking from experience based on what I have gone through.

Thanks for your input once again.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 10:47am On Jul 13, 2017
saintjoel:

Agents are not shady people because it seems you've closed your eyes to all that had been explained above. Well, I'll take the pains to teach you again and if you still think otherwise, you can also spare around N30million NAIRA to setup your DTI, register it with customs and ministry of finance ,get agents to work with you and start processing duties too.

No one has discredited the man,neither have we said that the calculation is wrong but what we have said is as follows :-

1. When your car gets to the port and you contact your agent, he goes into a DTI to capture and also write an application to the valuation unit .

2 . The valuation unit already has a template like the one I'll still show below. The template is an assumed dollar rate for each manufacture year of vehicles drawn up by the ministry of finance and downloaded into the database of Nigerian customs.

3. The calculation is now done based on the valuation that your agent is given and it's done when paying to bank because it's machine generated, it's not done by hand. As you pay what the valuations unit has given you, the payslip that the banks give you will be printed out with the calculations on it.

Now, his calculations would've worked if the Nigerian system allows you to declare the amount that each and every person buys his/her vehicle but it doesn't work that way and that's what we've tried to highlight before you came forward to say "agents are shady". Nothing or no one has stopped anyone from been an AGENT,you Cam also leave your job to become one.

The same agents that you're discrediting have been going up and down,from Lagos to Abuja trying to get The Federal government to drop the rates and also bring sanity to the system, do you think if ALNCA and NAGAFF have been sitting idle,government wouldn't have done more than what they've been doing right now. Go on the internet and read about the many times we've always gone on strike because of government policies aimed towards importation and how the borders and ports are operated.

If you do not wish to educate us then let it be. Cartalk forum which I moderate was set up solely for educating one another on issues bordering on cars.

Have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 10:52am On Jul 13, 2017
Marpol:

Thanks for the clarification. I never said your are shady. I don't even know if you are an agent! Am only speaking from experience based on what I have gone through.

Thanks for your input once again.

SheffyUTD and I have consulted each other and in order for your apology to be accepted, you're going to provide the following -

1. 10,000 Gig of data (we don't want GLO sir).

2. 2 crates of beer (incase SheffyUTD needs it)

3. 2 crates of malt ( for me).

4. 4 cartons of cabin biscuits.

5. N100,000 cash

6. Two baskets of pepper

7. One basket of tomato

8. Two live cows ( must weight 350KG eat)

9. 2 2017 Benz cars ( Not optional at all)

10. Hmmmmmm, will still think about it.

Thanks. grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 10:53am On Jul 13, 2017
Marpol:

If you do not wish to educate us then let it be. Cartalk forum which I moderate was set up solely for educating one another on issues bordering on cars.

Have a wonderful day.

SheffyUTD was also doing a nice job on it and to have also done the same thing would've muddled things up but I hope everything is now clear sir.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 10:59am On Jul 13, 2017
saintjoel:

SheffyUTD and I have consulted each other and in order for your apology to be accepted, you're going to provide the following -

5. N100,000 cash

6. Two baskets of pepper

7. One basket of tomato

Just talk say you wan throw party grin grin grin shocked
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sultaan(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

I believe you read the post from the beginning. I asked him the basis of his calculation and he reference the value OP quoted, fine. The calculation was correct. In the same post, he turned to say that's d duty to be paid for 2015 Camry. That is why I asked him to quote from value chat the value for the car and how he arrived at the quoted duty. If he's in the know of how things work with Nigeria customs, your purchase price don't work for vehicles; except general cargo.

The main motive for asking the question of basis this. To avoid misleading people. Yet, some are already saying corruption fighting back. nobody is trying to discredit him.

For clarity sake, 2015 Camry value on Customs chat is $28k for hybrid and $33,000 for normal. Using the smaller value
I.e

28,000 * 306 (exchange rate) = 8,568,000
@ 35% (surface duty) = 2,998,800
With this total duty is (surface * 1.281) = 3,841,463

Now, for customs to give you 1.5m as surface instead of 2.9m, if they will ever give, how much will they take from valuation unit, releasing officer, gate, Customs Processing Center and others. This is a simple thing I expected when I asked for people to understand. Nobody is trying to rip off or scam anyone.

I hope the shady aspect is not for me sir.

http://southeast.buyatoyota.com/camry

A brand new 2017 Camry goes for about $24k and you are saying your system will calculate duty on used 2015 Camry at $28k how does that make sense if not corruption. Those benefit from the system should know that they are an accessory to that system in the eyes of those outside the system.

How I wish Nigerian will understand the power they have right now to make massive changes but because there is zoo much money in the system they keep giving it away.

This is Ghana
https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/economy/cars_duty.php
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 11:09am On Jul 13, 2017
saintjoel:

5. N100,000 cash

6. Two baskets of pepper

7. One basket of tomato

LMAO OO. I go for option 9. Final answer cool
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 11:16am On Jul 13, 2017
sultaan:

http://southeast.buyatoyota.com/camry

A brand new 2017 Camry goes for about $24k and you are saying your system will calculate duty on used 2015 Camry at $28k how does that make sense if not corruption. Those benefit from the system should know that they are an accessory to that system in the eyes of those outside the system.

How I wish Nigerian will understand the power they have right now to make massive changes but because there is zoo much money in the system they keep giving it away.

This is Ghana
https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/economy/cars_duty.php

Oga, I provide clearing service, I am neither CG of customs nor Minister of Finance. Please forward your complain to the right place. We as agents body have been fighting it, join us.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 11:19am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Oga, I provide clearing service, I am neither CG of customs nor Minister of Finance. Please forward your complain to the right place. We as agents body have been fighting it, join us.

Na so, if Nigerians want to take up the fight, let them take it to the policy makers.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Marpol: 11:20am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

@sheffyUTD, how much will it cost to clear a 2012 Toyota Camry?

Kindly answer with a breakdown of the official fees and your own fee too.

Your time starts now!
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by depair: 11:28am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

when I suggested a social media fight of this someone was been sarcastic.
I know the different bodies have been fighting it on their own but when there is culminating effect from the public as well as the bodies through the instrumentality of social media there is bound to be result
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by depair: 11:29am On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

when I suggested a social media fight of this someone was been sarcastic.
I know the different bodies have been fighting it on their own but when there is culminating effect from the public as well as the bodies through the instrumentality of social media there is bound to be result
#transparentduty
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 12:01pm On Jul 13, 2017
Marpol:

@sheffyUTD, how much will it cost to clear a 2012 Toyota Camry?

Kindly answer with a breakdown of the official fees and your own fee too.

Your time starts now!

1.5m sir

official surface duty is 1.3m. With table money, we can get between 700k - 900k. The lesser the value, the more the table flow. Budget 250k - 350k
Agency and service charge 100k
Shipping and terminal 85k.

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 12:03pm On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

1.5m sir

official surface duty is 1.3m. With table money, we can get between 700k - 900k. The lesser the value, the more the table flow. Budget 250k - 350k
Agency and service charge 100k
Shipping and terminal 85k.

Nice, that's so nice.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2017
saintjoel:

Nice, that's so nice.
Oga mi, wetin we go do na. Hustling continues. God help us!
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2017
sheffyUTD:

Oga mi, wetin we go do na. Hustling continues. God help us!

Na so Baba, at least they'll see that we have not been robbing them. We are just honest day to day people hustling to put food on our table.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by komekn(m): 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2017
Trying to establish the actual duty on car is clearly is intentionally problematic by customs for reasons of extortion and corruption of which agents choose to buy in.

From posts i have read on related subjects suggest that clearing your car at Seme is considerably cheaper than within the Nigerian ports system. In this regard could the reason for that be the omission of valuation unit, releasing officer, gate, Customs Processing Center and others.

In that case am i better off shipping through Cotonou or in the alternative take a road trip for a week from London to Lagos by road
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sabaka: 8:03am On Jul 14, 2017
Readonee35L:

This post of yours is very helpful.
Thank you.
With that formula above.
The duty on any car can be calculated.
So here is the thing.
If I decide to pay 1,791,825 duty on the car, as against the 2.8-3.2m quoted by agents, Am I free from the fĂșck customs on the road ?
Someone said he paid 1.5m for 2012 camry and here u are wanting to pay 1.7 for 2015 as against the proper quote you were given

Ur busy screaming wickedness and corruption bla bla all over the place just because you're havin. 2 go they what Nigerians have been experiencing for many years

When u were buying awoof Honda Pilot from customs and going up and down insulting people that deir car prices are high u no know say Na so life hard abi ? Welldone

Continue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 9:01am On Jul 14, 2017
sabaka:
Readonee35l
Ya always going round autos complaining and insulting dealers on the prices of their cars
U even opened a thread just to call someone mad for d price of his car

Now just to bring in one 2015 camry u are crying over the cost of clearing
Sometin dealers have to n have been dealing with for many years

Like calculusx said if ur importing dat vehicle for resale/profit , hw much will u now sell it?

Maybe u didn't get a chance to buy awoof pilot from custom officer again

Yeye dey smell

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 9:06am On Jul 14, 2017
sabaka:

Someone said he paid 1.5m for 2012 camry and here u are wanting to pay 1.7 for 2015 as against the proper quote you were given

Ur busy screaming wickedness and corruption bla bla all over the place just because you're havin. 2 go they what Nigerians have been experiencing for many years

When u were buying awoof Honda Pilot from customs and going up and down insulting people that deir car prices are high u no know say Na so life hard abi ? Welldone

Continue
See this guy.
I'm not complaining to you neither am I screaming.
You don't feed me, cloth me, care for me or even pay my bills.
I do that my self.
If something is done for 2m and I have 4m to waste. I'd rather do it for the normal 2m and use the remaining two for other things.
This is not being poor or having hard life.
This is common sense.

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sabaka: 9:21am On Jul 14, 2017
Readonee35l, My allegations still stand and are very valid
Go and pay your custom duties and stop making noise
Ur not d 1st to bring in a 2015 camry neither will you be the last

And most importantly stop harassing other people with the prices of their cars

U have quickly run to change d title of that thread to olx crazy prices #guilty conscience grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 9:26am On Jul 14, 2017
sabaka:
Readonee35l, My allegations still stand and are very valid
Go and pay your custom duties and stop making noise
Ur not d 1st to bring in a 2015 camry neither will you be the last

And most importantly stop harassing other people with the prices of their cars

U have quickly run to change d title of that thread to olx crazy prices #guilty conscience grin cheesy
Not guilty conscience.
I DN forgive the olx guy.
And thank you for reminding me so I can change the topic.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by valarinz: 10:33am On Jul 14, 2017
Readonee35L:

Not guilty conscience.
I DN forgive the olx guy.
And thank you for reminding me so I can change the topic.

This is a good lesson on how we use the Internet, when you were cussing out the Nigga for fixing a price tag to his car(which was even very much negotiable), you didn't know there will come a day when it will come back to haunt you

How about we discuss the price tag on this your venza ehn, I sure know peeps who sell their 2010 venza at a cheaper rate
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 10:36am On Jul 14, 2017
valarinz:

This is a good lesson on how we use the Internet, when you were cussing out the Nigga for fixing a price tag to his car(which was even very much negotiable), you didn't know there will come a day when it will come back to haunt you

How about we discuss the price tag on this your venza ehn, I sure know peeps who sell their 2010 at a cheaper rate
I don't regret my actions and I'm not running from my self.
If something is weird or not normal .
Let's speak against it.
If not you won't challenge gazuz and his friends the other day on their thread.
The venza is buy and drive.
No crash.
No warning light on the dashboard not even tpms.
Clean body .
Full duty and good tyres .
Now tell me if your peeps venza have this things I mentioned .
That's if they are not salvaged venza's
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by valarinz: 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2017
Readonee35L:

Let's speak against it.
No crash.
Clean body .
That's if they are not salvaged venza's

Hmmm

So, you still feel like using words Like "mad" on someone just cos of the asking price he fixed on his car is justified? Are you saying that if for some reasons I feel outraged by the price of your car then I'll be well in my rights to open up a thread, attach pics of your ad and call u "mad"??

It's not about whether the car price is "normal" or not, it's instead about your choice of words and outrage towards someone just cos of the price he wants to sell his car, I don't think that was necessary
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 4:06pm On Jul 14, 2017
valarinz:

Hmmm

So, you still feel like using words Like "mad" on someone just cos of the asking price he fixed on his car is justified? Are you saying that if for some reasons I feel outraged by the price of your car then I'll be well in my rights to open up a thread, attach pics of your ad and call u "mad"??

It's not about whether the car price is "normal" or not, it's instead about your choice of words and outrage towards someone just cos of the price he wants to sell his car, I don't think that was necessary
Alright chief.
I accept my error.
smiley

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sabaka: 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2017
Readonee35L:

Let's speak against it.
No crash.
Clean body .
That's if they are not salvaged venza

Now u are trying hard to justify ur price. Who told u people don't have venzas with same features and even more, that are going for cheaper ? Smh

Nw u see how it feels to be on d receiving end of bullshit u always dish out to others, and u can't take it

Learn something here my brother, bye

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2017
sabaka:

Now u are trying hard to justify ur price. Who told u people don't have venzas with same features and even more, that are going for cheaper ? Smh ur just being a hypocrite

Nw u see how it feels to be on d receiving end of bullshit u always dish out to others, and u can't take it

Learn something here my brother, bye
Oga Ade park well.
There is nothing to learn.
If you post a rubbish car tomorrow with a high price. I will definitely say something about it.
If you also give a good deal.
I will shake your hands.
My venza is a buy and drive.
With a good price.
If you can't cope with it.
Delete your phones Web browser
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by ollyruffy: 7:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
APC promised Nigerians a change but instead offered chains. This increase in vehicle import duties will form part of the reasons APC will be voted out in 2019.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Hundreds Of Ford Owners Sue Ford For Bad Wheel Nuts (photos) / CadMoto Ltd: Pioneering All-Terrain Vehicles and Electric Tricycles (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.