Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. (70178 Views)

The Real Reason Yoruba Wants Its Independence / It Doesn't Take Decades To Fight Corruption, Rwandan President Tells Buhari / How Did Nigeria Win Its Independence From Great Britain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Ademat7(m): 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
What a load of absolute rubbish. And what a disgraceful thread. Nigeria is 100 times more developed today than in 1960. The British built not a single major power plant in the country. Not one expressway. Not one university. Not one major hospital. Near zero infrastructure. Illiteracy was 95% at independence, after 70 yrs of white rule. That figure is down to 25% today, thanks to black rule. In fact, it's a fair bet you would be illiterate today if the whites were still in charge. Just like your grandparents were under colonialism.
1000likes

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by ACE1010: 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2017
That was when Nigeria was Nigeria. No kidnapping, ritual killing, Badoo, Boko Haram Fulani herbsmen Nigeria was peaceful. I feel like weeping seeing this pics. I doubt if Nigeria can reclaim her lost glory. Not in this generation. This generation is full vipers!!!
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
CaptainFM1:

Diversity only became a problem when oil showed up! Our greatest problem is oil. And one would expect it to be our greatest blessing.
Wrong! our greatest problem isn't the oil nor diversity.

our greatest problem are the greedy, corrupted, unpatriotic peeps who have been ruling for ages.
they are not ghosts. they are relatives to people who worship, instead of frown at them.

now these same peeps have proliferated, propagated, dispersed their corrupted seeds everywhere, so that immoral is now the new moral. it is now difficult for a vast majority of peeps to sacrifice, do the right thing!

little wonder an important sector such as the education sector is so messed up. nobody just wanna sacrifice again.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
What did you see in those pictures? There is nothing in those pictures that you will not find in greater abundance in today's Nigeria. Should I post pictures from today?
please share them. Let me see..... And while you're at it.. Let me know why we're not benefiting from it
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2017
piagetskinner:
if not for anything, at least there was orderliness...

now everybody does things as they like...

people were more loving then....now there's hatred everywhere
There was "orderliness" because most people were poor, illiterate, and stuck in the village. There was little economic activity compared with today.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Odunharry(m): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

Sometimes the old ways are the best.
Yeah.. But remember times and things are changing real fast.

I still believe those who needs to be corrected must be corrected irrespective of who and who doesn't like it.

Can't count how many times i have asked many young girls esp why they are dressed in a certain way that will provoke everyone around. They might get embarrassed but they will surely take corrections or young guys who think they can act anyhow AnD open their chest for all to see .
The painful thing is many of them are still in secondary school, Some just wrote their SSCE.

You need to see people esp the girls misbehave on a Sunday or Friday night after going out to catch "Fun".
Tell them to stop or do it moderately then you have become their enemy.

The Govt, Religious organizations, Family, society, schools etc need to sit down and restrategize how to undo what the mass media and peer pressure has done in the life of the average Nigerian youth on the street.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
NevetsIbot:
please share them. Let me see..... And while you're at it.. Let me know why we're not benefiting from it
The ones you have been posting, who benefited from them? Our grandparents were mostly illiterate peasants who never saw a light bulb till after independence.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2017
ACE1010:
That was when Nigeria was Nigeria. No kidnapping, ritual killing, Badoo, Boko Haram Fulani herbsmen Nigeria was peaceful. I feel like weeping seeing this pics. I doubt if Nigeria can reclaim her lost glory. Not in this generation This generation is full vipers!!!
There was malnutrition, mass illiteracy, zero infrastructure, and zero industries. Name one power plant built by the whites in their 70 year rule. Do you know they imported huge generators to power GRAs where the whites were living, and left the rest of the country in darkness?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by 25ahmad(m): 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Another picture shows two men reading a book, one appearing to teach the other.
this is emir of daura. Mohammad bashir
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
The ones you have been posting, who benefited from them? Our grandparents were mostly illiterate peasants who never saw a light bulb till after independence.
And we who are literate.... How well are we using this light bulb to light our path to greatness?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by k199192: 5:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
coveredchic:

These are not crates. They're empty tins. Groundnut oil was stored in them back then. Remember the turkey brand of groundnut oil that came in these tins?

If the "tins" are not loaded on crates/pelets, how would they balance so well on the backs of the the donkeys?
THINK!
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by TekenaAduari: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2017
Minus Slave trade, British rule is better for Nigeria. Yea I said it!!! I'm in my house come and slap me...
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
NevetsIbot:
And we who are literate.... How well are we using this light bulb to light our path to greatness?
Would you rather be on a village farm with your hoe and matchet, or tapping palm wine from a tree, compared to what you are doing now, ie typing on your ipad, phone, or computer, well fed, literate, and aware? Independence has given you the chance to excel, something your forbears couldn't even dream about.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by olayinks007(m): 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
When Nigeria is still a country, nw Nigeria is a dead country. undecided
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
TekenaAduari:
Minus Slave trade, British rule is better for Nigeria. Yea I said it!!! I'm in my house come and slap me...
If not for Nigerian rule which brought you Education, you would not be able to type into that cheap phone you're using. Most likely you'd be an illiterate truck pusher, or shoe shiner.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by boyency: 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Which way Nigeria, which way to go,Iove my father land......is this song still in existence?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by LOVEGINO(m): 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
The diverse selection of photos taken by a high-ranking education inspector include one of a young football team from 1947.
chai! omo dis footballers no be here oooo.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by HausaOverlord: 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Really sad after seeing all this pictures, what a great nation Nigeria use to be, may still be?. I feel like this oil is a curse.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by HausaOverlord: 5:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
There was malnutrition, mass illiteracy, zero infrastructure, and zero industries. Name one power plant built by the whites in their 70 year rule. Do you know they imported huge generators to power GRAs where the whites were living, and left the rest of the country in darkness?
I'd swap that kinda life in a heart beat for this crap fest we live in now, where everyone​ is a potential looter.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by BankManager(m): 5:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
YelloweWest:

Wow! You saw these things...

What was the country like back then? Are we better today or worse generally?

Nigeria was well organised way back ..Kingsway Superstore was a sight to behold.. Our universities were top standard. Jobs were everywhere. Excellent infrastructural facilities. No one bothered to leave Nigeria way back because the Naira was constantly appreciating . Way back , Nigeria was properly managed. Indeed,there was once a country.. Unfortunately,today ,the reverse is the case..The first day u leave Nigeria and move to more developed country,u will feel so sad for the rot in this Nation ..we are now miles behind .The biggest mistake that was made in the history of this country was the day Gen.Buhari overthrew the civilian government of 1983.Nigeria has remained stagnated since then..Today,we are worse generally and with the ineptitude rulers we now have , the future looks frightening..
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:42pm On Jul 16, 2017
HausaOverlord:
Really sad after seeing all this pictures, what a great nation Nigeria use to be, may still be?. I feel like this oil is a curse.
Please, can you name one major hospital built in Nigeria by the whites? Or one stadium. Or a power plant. Or one major industry. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 5:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
HausaOverlord:
I'd swap that kinda life in a heart beat for this crap fest we live in now, where everyone​ is a potential looter.
You are a liar. You prefer malnutrition and illiteracy to your current condition? LIAR.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YOLO1(m): 5:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
There was a country
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2017
bigtt76:
Sad! With the disappearance of the groundnut pyramids came the importation of animal fat based, synthetic and adulterated cooking oil.

This in turn lead to high cholesterol levels and high incidents of heart related ailments and deaths.

Not forgetting the bleeding of our economy to foot their importation

you sound as if u have a good knowledge of the economics of pre-colonial Nigeria
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
Please, can you name one major hospital built in Nigeria by the whites? Or one stadium. Or a power plant. Or one major industry. Thanks.
No response? I thought you people said white rule was the best thing that happened to Nigeria? Show us the hard numbers. What and what did they do? I look around and I don't see anything the whites built here. Apart from one rail line from north to the southern ports to evacuate our resources, what else did they build?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YelloweWest: 6:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
BankManager:

Nigeria was well organised way back ..Kingsway Superstore was a sight to behold.. Our universities were top standard. Jobs were everywhere. Excellent infrastructural facilities. No one bothered to leave Nigeria way back because the Naira was constantly appreciating . Way back , Nigeria was properly managed. Indeed,there was once a country.. Unfortunately,today ,the reverse is the case..The first day u leave Nigeria and move to more developed country,u will feel so sad for the rot in this Nation ..we are now miles behind .The biggest mistake that was made in the history of this country was the day Gen.Buhari overthrew the civilian government of 1983.Nigeria has remained stagnated since then..Today,we are worse generally and with the ineptitude rulers we now have , the future looks frightening..
My dad is 76. He says THE EXACT SAME THING! Wow. He grew up in lagos and was a foriegn servant. He said most Europeans did not want to leave Nigeria.
When he tells us these stories about how good the country was, we find it hard to believe cry

What in God's name happened?

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Yinkay: 6:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Before Shoprite, we had Kingsway.

That's Kingsway store Ibadan
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2017
YelloweWest:

My dad is 76. He says THE EXACT SAME THING! Wow. He grew up in lagos and was a foriegn servant. He said most Europeans did not want to leave Nigeria.
When he tells us these stories about how good the country was, we find it hard to believe cry

What in God's name happened?
How could the country be "good" when there was no national power grid in existence? Even if people wanted generators they couldn't afford them, and their homes were not wired. Your dad served the whites who had their own section well lit. No wonder he loves them. He ate the crumbs from their table.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Mcreloaded(m): 6:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
A Nigerian man stops maintenance works on a train to look at Edward Harland Duckworth's camera.

Can the wordings (OBS OF BRNIN) on the train be explained as it seems it has tayed the Oba of Benin is the greatest to even have his name on a train. Great ;Benin kingdom I salute.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by YelloweWest: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Rossikki:
How could the country be "good" when there was no national power grid in existence? Even if people wanted generators they couldn't afford them, and their homes were not wired. Your dad served the whites who had their own section well lit. No wonder he loves them.
My dad was a foriegn officer. Diplomat for 35years. He served his Nigeria in different countries.

My father said there was a time when power shortages was not in existence.
I've spoken to many elders and the one thing they agree on is that Nigeria was much better back in the day than now.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by TWoods(m): 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Our greatest strength lies in our diversity.
Too bad we have only had corrupt and selfish leaders since independence.

Abeg historians, has any country ever survived without any figurehead leaders but in the community, more like the spartan and Roman civilisation of old where power lies in the voice of the people

False. About time we stop parroting what amounts to propaganda. If you notice, the most powerful nations on earth are ALL HOMOGENOUS - China, Japan, France, Denmark, Norway.

Look at the nations in complete disarray... over 90% are heterogenous.

3 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 6:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
Mcreloaded:

Can the wordings (OBS OF BRNIN) on the train be explained as it seems it has tayed the Oba of Benin is the greatest to even have his name on a train. Great ;Benin kingdom I salute.
Oh great. After attacking and burning down the great city of Benin in 1897, and carting away its treasures, the British wrote their king's name on their train, and you are so proud... Shouldn't you be demanding restitution and an apology instead?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dr Obafemi Committed Suicide After Attending To Yusuf Buhari After Accident - SR / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate. / Abacha's Daughter Lash-Out At Wole Soyinka On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.