Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. (70176 Views)

The Real Reason Yoruba Wants Its Independence / It Doesn't Take Decades To Fight Corruption, Rwandan President Tells Buhari / How Did Nigeria Win Its Independence From Great Britain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by iou: 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2017
We lost it when we started substituting "lost" for "lose"��
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 16, 2017
We were really not riped for independence..
The whites left toooo soon.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Yoruba ladies in Aso Ebi.
Hian! a whooping "240 likes" for Yoruba ladies in aso ebi dressing? do I smell e-jealousy smelling 4rm across dat river end side? hmm!
I fear 4 d e-trybal war loading btw em brown roofers vs red mudists.
wetin kwansyne me? lemme go get vitamin enriched zobo & kilishi to relax wit. cool

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by LordOfNaira: 3:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
0b100100111:

Wow....!
You be close to your grave by now if you do know those places
There was Kingsway up to 1987 so he may not be as old as you think.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by room089: 3:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
Like the great zik of Africa said in one of his poem:
'Give me back my yesterdays
Gladly will I pay the price'

God Almighty please give us our yesterdays of orderliness, love and oneness.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by 0b100100111: 3:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
LordOfNaira:

There was Kingsway up to 1987 so he may not be as old as you think.

You right at a time!
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Kakamorufu(m): 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2017
it is well with Nigeria
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by samjey: 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2017
I feel now like weeping for this blighted generation! Much more I feel for the yet unborn! There was once a country!
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by ezra1990: 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
The moments we wanted to fly when we had no wings.......I wish all our so called independent fighters are alive to see the mess they've created.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by hgnbello(m): 4:04pm On Jul 16, 2017
when Nigeria was free.. oh lord have mercy.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by FemiMaduka(m): 4:06pm On Jul 16, 2017
soath:
loose
lose, sir!
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by alt3r3g0: 4:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
Kondomatic:
Diversity is one of our major problems.

Were we not diverse in this era?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Ayo25: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Lagos Island.

We were so orderly.
This can't be Lagos Island. Where are the gala sellers?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it
when "people" started thinking these things were too good to belong to one nation. When they wanted independence and when some Biafra thought started.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Zane2point4(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
Salym:

Its only people like you who dress like the Neaderthals that will view western dressing as civilisation. For us, who dont need the white man to rescue us from primitive life of hunting and gathering, there is no need to change our mode of dressing. Look at our architecture, compare it with yours or that of any part of Nigeria, you would find in ours a rather advanced architecture that cant be found anywhere else. In all those pictures shown, the positive things about the North in that era have been shown. Can you please show us your own part of the country as at then lets make comparisons?

Change is the only constant thing.
Why dont we use the 1980 betteles? Why do an apprentice go to the master to learn new ideas from him? But form the pics you will see the obvious truth.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by adegeye38(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
seeing this pictures i feel like crying

we have failed ourselves as individuals and as a people

we had such a promising future and we started so well, until we began to embrace, corruption and greed and little by little the seeds began to germinate and grow and now we are enjoying the harvest

the harvest of greed, hatred and corruption

maybe we were doomed to fail, we did not know, but the fact still remains that we are all responsible in either big or small ways for our current predicaments.

and if we want change and progress, we need to change our mindset and way of thinking as individuals and as a people

POWER BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE

CHANGE MUST COME FROM WITHIN
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by obidevine(m): 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2017
Funjosh:
Where did we lost it

It's where did we "lose" it, not where did we "lost" it. No offense meant.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by AreaFada2: 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2017
oz4real83:
I just saw Oba of Benin's title on this pic. It speaks so much of how important that title was and still is,even to the colonial masters!!!
Obviously. Despite revisionist attempts recently in a much more tribalistic and bigoted country now.

Imagine that FESTAC was holding in 2017. The symbol would be some WAZOBIA thing, not the famous ancient Benin Queen mask. Many today would have argued that Benin is insignificant in the political calculus of Nigeria.

People keep wondering when it all went wrong with us. Simple. It did when we sacrificed truth and merit on the altar if tribe, religion and politics. Corruption and other ills are just symptoms.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by farouk0403(m): 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Another picture shows two men reading a book, one appearing to teach the other.

Now i know why the Britain showed their kin interest in North, the Northern part of the country is so organize and civilised since from pre colonial era, we have centralized system of government even before british invasion.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by CaptainFM1: 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
Kondomatic:
Diversity is one of our major problems.

Diversity only became a problem when oil showed up! Our greatest problem is oil. And one would expect it to be our greatest blessing.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by NevetsIbot(m): 4:42pm On Jul 16, 2017
Looking at these pictures....... I was close to tears.

What happened to my country? Where did we go wrong?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Odunharry(m): 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2017
Ishilove:

I really have no idea o. Society is decaying and morality as being thrown out the window
True this.. We don't have to be suprise.
You someone doing something immoral, try correcting them and you be will be told it is their life and you should mind your business.

It happens almost everywhere. Infact, if you don't behave or dress in a certain way esp ladies, you will be tagged "Old School".
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by AreaFada2: 4:49pm On Jul 16, 2017
talk2riel:

Really thrilled with the neatness and serenity. 85% of our cities are trash dump
We did not prepare for population explosion. Better still, we did not control it. People produce waste. Naturally.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2017
Omoluabi16:
This just makes me feel sad. Nigeria was so serene..so beautiful. we had so much promise, and at that pace could have been a 1st world country today. Herbert Macaulay would turn in his grave. The whites left, and within 3 years we bleeped it up.
Explorers you're a blessing to nairaland. I doff my hat.
What a load of absolute rubbish. And what a disgraceful thread. Nigeria is 100 times more developed today than in 1960. The British built not a single major power plant in the country. Not one expressway. Not one university. Not one major hospital. Near zero infrastructure. Illiteracy was 95% at independence, after 70 yrs of white rule. That figure is down to 25% today, thanks to black rule. In fact, it's a fair bet you would be illiterate today if the whites were still in charge. Just like your grandparents were under colonialism.

3 Likes

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Mansongx(m): 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
Emir of Kano's cars in the 1930s.

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 4:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
NevetsIbot:
Looking at these pictures....... I was close to tears.

What happened to my country?
Where did we go wrong?
What did you see in those pictures? There is nothing in those pictures that you will not find in greater abundance in today's Nigeria. Should I post pictures from today?
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Baroba(m): 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
Those nettle ( Volkswagen) were like 3k tear rubber, my old man bought one...Like my mum always say, The white man left too early...
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by piagetskinner(m): 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
if not for anything, at least there was orderliness...

now everybody does things as they like...
people were more loving then....now there's hatred everywhere
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Ishilove: 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
Odunharry:

True this.. We don't have to be suprise.
You someone doing something immoral, try correcting them and you be will be told it is their life and you should mind your business.

It happens almost everywhere. Infact, if you don't behave or dress in a certain way esp ladies, you will be tagged "Old School".
Sometimes the old ways are the best.
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Rossikki: 4:58pm On Jul 16, 2017
Baroba:
Those nettle ( Volkswagen) were like 3k tear rubber, my old man bought one...Like my mum always say, The white man left too early...
Ask your mum why your grandparents were illiterate peasants if the whites were so great. They ruled for 70 years and exported our resources. So why were we an underdeveloped bush at independence without a single full-fledged university?

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by lagosrd: 5:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
Explorers:
Nigerian Airways Air Hostesses in 1973.

Nigeria DC-10 taking off from schipol Airport.

Pls add that the plane has been carefully parked after dem spoil am finish for Ikeja, lagos
Re: Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. by Ademat7(m): 5:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
Sagay212:

We don't deserve to be independent and we won't be independent is many years to come. The white men left too early. If only they had waited and helped us or forcedus to do things right, at least we would have steady power supply, good roads and good health care by now. We still hardly do anything reasonable without the help of the whites. It's not just a Nigerian problem but the entire Africa. South Africa is better because they still have many of the whites controlling their economy. We nor get sense for Nigeria, it is not an insult but the plain truth. E be like say na another God create oyibo people because i cannot understand how they have to be the ones inventing everything and doing everything for us. Even when they do things for us and leave us to maintain it, we still destroy it.
There is a way white structure things such that if u don't see them u won't be able to move forward;more like giving u a car without d key or manual,go and read hw Belgians handover power in Rwanda

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dr Obafemi Committed Suicide After Attending To Yusuf Buhari After Accident - SR / Tinubu Wins In Benue With 310,468 Votes / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.