Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region (43254 Views)

South-South Governors To Establish Regional Security Outfit / Marwa Alleges Plan To Manipulate Election Results In Southeast, South South / Ojukwu On His First Day As Governor Of The Eastern Region (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

Delta & Edo have recreated Mid-West/Bendel stuff before in a similar meeting. Remember that was the only Region created democratically in 1963 referendum. The only genuine region not carved by colonial masters or military dictators.

And Anioma was always part of it. Until Anioma is carved out as a state, it will remain so.

Midwest Region should be it. Otherwise it would bevshort changing from a historical perspective. Cooperation with SS/SE is crucial though. But the political goal has to be clear.

Until Anioma was carved out as a state ke... Is Anioma a state at the moment?

2 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nonaira1: 6:23pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nikbaebrown:
Who Else Noticed The Governors Of Delta And Edo State Respectively Weren't Present At The Meeting Of South- South/South-east Coalesce aimed at promoting unity, inter-state relations and economical growth I'm Sure Okowa Knws It Would Be Disrespectful and grotesque To harness Delta Into Any unauthentic and romantically incorrect union, especially one that has ulterior motives, because its a Misrepresentation Of Delta's political Identity and history.

Displaying your illiteracy everywhere. Okowa was not present because he's out of town for his daughter's birth. My God why was I cursed to share a state with illiterates. They really need to hurry up and divide delta so delta south can carry go with their illiteracy.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nonaira1:

Displaying your illiteracy everywhere. Okowa was not present because he's out of town for his daughter's birth. My God why was I cursed to share a state with illiterates. They really need to hurry up and divide delta so delta south can carry go with their illiteracy.

Delta South...Wow...Why na?
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by corpershun: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Trash

Obasanjo already divided Nigeria into six geopolitical zone or are the Biafrans scared now...Forming Alliance

1 Like

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Afam4eva(m): 6:25pm On Jul 16, 2017
Sanchez01:

Okowa, attending that meeting would have been suicidal for him. Delta state was never part of the Old Eastern Region, so I see no reason why they would deem it fit to include her in their quest.
Lol. I want to see what you will say when he shows up at the next meeting in port-hacourt. Suicide ko eastern region ni.

10 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nonaira1: 6:25pm On Jul 16, 2017
Amarabae:
POINT OF CORRECTION.
They are not Trying to Recreate any Old Eastern region RATHER They want to form an Economic alliance between the Two Geopolitical zones. Thats All.
Okowa did not attend because he was out of the country, his daughter put to bed.
Next meeting at Portharcourt he will attend.
Lets not misinterpret facts here pls.

The only person on here that comprehend what was written.

This is an economic alliance people, not recreating old eastern region. I think you all just read the portion where they spoke of eastern and ran with it. Please read everything.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Chukazu: 6:26pm On Jul 16, 2017
And what happens to Edo and DELTA that were never part of the equation?
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by AreaFada2: 6:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

Sorry I meant until it is....

But the logic of the argument supporting Okowa not going should have told you that was an error.
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Sanchez01: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Afam4eva:

Lol. I want to see what you will say when he shows up at the next meeting in port-hacourt. Suicide ko eastern region ni.
Here is the crux, Enugu and Port Harcourt are not the same, just as regions are not the same. Does it not interest you to figure that Dickson was also not part of the meeting?

Besides, I believe you are educated enough to believe that all that was discussed is not really about 'recreating a pre-1967 region', far from it. Economic alliance and trade unions? Perhaps yes, but a part of suicide squad? Not the Delta I know.

4 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
Na wa o too many professors...My fellow Deltans, the igbos don't want to swallow you up, get rid of the bias and presumptions, there has to be critical economic infrastructure between both regions...The South East and South South have been economic allies dating back over 200 years...There's written history on this, the economic partnership dating back over 200 years did not see either region swallowing up the other...So it's a journey to rediscover old paths...Abeg stop spreading chaos and bias that are unfounded.

10 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by plaetton: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2017
careytommy7:

Delta and Edo were not part of the old Eastern region so how do you expect their Govs to attend such a meeting?
grin
You forgot to add "Duuuhhhh" in Your response to that thoughtless post.

1 Like

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nonaira1: 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

Delta South...Wow...Why na?

Because they are an embarrassment. They write the dumbest comments repeatedly on this forum. Their sense of deluded importance is equally rather annoying. I pray to God to grant me my wish because their nonsense is too much. Let them carry their wahalla and go abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

Sorry I meant until it is....

But the logic of the argument supporting Okowa not going should have told you that was an error.

Okowa not going is the right thing to do...I can't comment here on this but i congratulate the UPU for the decision...why must Okowa be there?
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
Sanchez01:

Here is the crux, Enugu and Port Harcourt are not the same, just as regions are not the same. Does it not interest you to figure that Dickson was also not part of the meeting?

Besides, I believe you are educated enough to believe that all that was discussed is not really about 'recreating a pre-1967 region', far from it. Economic alliance and trade unions? Perhaps yes, but a part of suicide squad? Not the Delta I know.
So, if you understand the fact that it's just an economic alliance, why then did you make the statement about Okowa joining the group? Hasn't Delta attended these SS-SE economic integration meetings in the past?

10 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by hammerF: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
SS/SE CAN MEET TO DISCUSS WAY FORWARD, BOTH REGION SHOULD BE RESPECTED AS DISTINCT FROM THE OTHER.

I SUPPORT THE SEPARATE IDENTITY OF SS/SE.

THE IDEA TO CREATE OLD EASTERN REGION IS A BIG NO FOR ME.

OUR LEADERS SHOULD NOT GET CARRIED AWAY WITH POLITICS, WE NEED DEEP SEAPORT IN THE SS REGION.

THE SS REGION NEEED RESOURCE CONTROL.

INTEGRATED TRANSPORT BETWEEN THE REGION IS REQUIRED.

THIS IS THE KIND OF THINGS THAT I WANT TO HEAR AND NOT OLD EASTERN REGION.

IF THEY WILL CREATE ANYTHING POLITICALLY TOGETHER, THEN IT SHOULD BE BIAFRA, ASIDE DAT, WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OLD EASTERN REGION.

CC: Ezeagu, bigfrancis21, Cheruv, pazienza, Abagworo, Ngozi123
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nonaira1:

Because they are an embarrassment. They write the dumbest comments repeatedly on this forum. Their sense of deluded importance is equally rather annoying. I pray to God to grant me my wish because their nonsense is too much. Let them carry their wahalla and go abeg.

Take it easy, it is well..the resources in the Deltan region is enough to go around moreso, the entire Delta work well with each other in reality...ignore insensitive posts...
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by plaetton: 6:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nikbaebrown:

You Dnt Seem To Knw Much About Delta Politics. Okowa Has His Second Term at The Verge Of being jettisoned should he Re-write History By Identifying With The Present Coalition Of South-east And South-south Since Its A Translucent Extention And Represention Of Old Eastern Nigeria According To The OP. My Pontification And Assertion Could Be Incorrect If Only The Coalescense Isnt In Any Way Connected To Revitalizing The Old Eastern Nigeria. And I Hope You Knw Okowa Cant Be re-elected as Governor Without The Support Of Other Ethnic Groups From Delta South And Central...
Now you have made sense.
Unnecessary mockery tend to obscure an otherwise sensible point.

1 Like

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by AreaFada2: 6:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

Okowa not going is the right thing to do...I can't comment here on this but i congratulate the UPU for the decision...why must Okowa be there?

He just avoided being labelled an Igbo governor only. A smart move.

I think co-operation broadly speaking is good.
But not one loaded with political sentiments.
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 16, 2017
hammerF:
SS/SE CAN MEET TO DISCUSS WAY FORWARD, BOTH REGION SHOULD BE RESPECTED AS DISTINCT FROM THE OTHER.

I SUPPORT THE SEPARATE IDENTITY OF SS/SE.

THE IDEA TO CREATE OLD EASTERN REGION IS A BIG NO FOR ME.

OUR LEADERS SHOULD NOT GET CARRIED AWAY WITH POLITICS, WE NEED DEEP SEAPORT IN THE SS REGION.

THE SS REGION NEEED RESOURCE CONTROL.

INTEGRATED TRANSPORT BETWEEN THE REGION IS REQUIRED.

THIS IS THE KIND OF T HINGS THAT I WANT TO HEAR AND NOT OLD EASTERN REGION.

IF THEY WILL CREATE ANYTHING POLITICALLY TOGETHER, THEN IT SHOULD BE BIAFRA, ASIDE DAT, WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OLD EASTERN REGION.

I SUPPORT YOU...I AM BEHIND YOU ANY DAY ANYTIME... DELTA WILL NEVER SUBSCRIBE TO FULL UNITY SHA...THAT DELTA HAS MADE KNOWN OVER AND OVER, BUT THIS IS ABOUT ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP SHA OO
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

He just avoided being labelled an Igbo governor only. A smart move.

I think co-operation broadly speaking is good.
But not one loaded with political sentiments.

AreaFada this is why i always respect you..Fantastic...That's an integral part though, but the UPU will not want Delta to be swallowed up in the process, so it depends, it will work out but the modalities have to be sorted out
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by ezeagu(m): 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Obaiyski:
“In terms of economic integration, we need the ports in Port Harcourt and Onne. Our Imo River in Owerri crossed into the Atlantic Ocean at Opobo, and if we can dredge the river, we will boost business in the regions.

https://www.nairaland.com/2702487/imo-river-take-large-ships

4 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nikbaebrown(f): 6:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
AreaFada2:

Delta & Edo have recreated Mid-West/Bendel stuff before in a similar meeting. Remember that was the only Region created democratically in 1963 referendum. The only genuine region not carved by colonial masters or military dictators.

And Anioma was always part of it. Until Anioma is carved out as a state, it will remain so.

Midwest Region should be it. Otherwise it would bevshort changing from a historical perspective. Cooperation with SS/SE is crucial though. But the political goal has to be clear.

Nice Elucidations. Thumbs Up!!

1 Like

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by hammerF: 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

I SUPPORT YOU...I AM BEHIND YOU ANY DAY ANYTIME... DELTA WILL NEVER SUBSCRIBE TO FULL UNITY SHA...THAT DELTA HAS MADE KNOWN OVER AND OVER, BUT THIS IS ABOUT ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP SHA OO

PLEASE STOP SOUNDING PAINED ON MY MENTION.

DELTA WAT? IS IT THE DELTA IGBO OR DELTA IJAW OR DELTA URHOBO OR DELTA ISOKO? WHICH DELTA?

DELTA LOOKS EASTWARDS.

3 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 16, 2017
hammerF:

PLEASE STOP SOUNDING PAINED ON MY MENTION.

DELTA WAT? IS IT THE DELTA IGBO OR DELTA IJAW? WHICH DELTA?

DELTA LOOKS EASTWARDS.

I'm not pained on your comments and i don't disagree with you the slightest bit..relax
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by BetaThings: 6:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Obaiyski:
However, Edo and Delta States were not at the meeting. Analysts insist that the two regions fared better under the defunct Eastern Region before they were divided by political creations.

Immediate past Secretary-general of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Dr. Joe Nworgu, who recalled the relationship between the two zones, stated that they had not only worked together economically, but also bonded politically. He added that the constitution that created three regions in the country saw the late Prof Eyo Ita as leader of government business in the east.

He told The Guardian that the defunct Eastern Region voted together under the now rested National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC), a political platform formed before independence, adding that the1963 incident, where the late Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe colluded with some Igbos to remove Eyo Ita from headship of the Eastern Region, sowed the seed of discord between the two regions.

He said: “That was the point of departure, as it angered the minority tribes and led to the formation of Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers (COR)
movement, where they decided to be in opposition against the Igbos. This resentment and antagonism movement was led by E.O Eyo from Uyo and this made them align against Igbo, as they tilted toward the Action Group.

He added that it was a further attempt to break the hegemony that led Federal Government into fusing Rivers, Cross River and Akwa Ibom with Delta and Edo, which were originally part of the defunct Mid-western states.

So, it was to breach this gap created by the late Zik that informed the philosophy of Ohanaeze to unconditionally support the candidature of a minority person, Goodluck Jonathan, in the 2011 and 2015 elections,” he explained. “It was a well-thought out attempt aimed at asking for forgiveness for that 1953 (mis) adventure and that is why I said no regrets voting for Jonathan. What we are considering had no connection with the crumbs of political office from the presidency. We are pursuing more lasting objectives.

If the two zones can pull resources and position their economy in such a way that it could be attractive to other zones, it could be used to negotiate political power. That to me is very important.

https://m.guardian.ng/politics/southeast-south-south-governors-to-recreate-old-eastern-region/

He added that it was a further attempt to break the hegemony that led Federal Government into fusing Rivers, Cross River and Akwa Ibom with Delta and Edo, which were originally part of the defunct Mid-western states.
https://m.guardian.ng/politics/southeast-south-south-governors-to-recreate-old-eastern-region/

People just like telling lies
The idea for South South came from Dr Alexander Ekwueme
Now they are blaming the FG
In Ekwueme's own words

It was on the basis of that (balancing interest of minority and majority) that I came to the conclusion that we should have six regions or geo-political zones as you call them as of the 1994 constitutional conference – three in the North and three in the South.
“From the south, you have the South-West, the Yoruba; you have the South-East, the Igbo; and then you have two minority groups, Mid-West and COR (Calabar, Ogoja and Rivers) as South-South.
“In the North, you have the North-West, which is Hausa/Fulani; then the North-Central, Middle Belt, which is the aggregation of minorities, and then in the North-East again, minorities predominated by Kanuris in Borno and Yobe and then other minority groups.”

http://www.greenbreporters.com/home/national/ekwueme-advocates-regional-independent-for-nigeria.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Sanchez01: 6:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Afam4eva:

So, if you understand the fact that it's just an economic alliance, why then did you make the statement about Okowa joining the group? Hasn't Delta attended these SS-SE economic integration meetings in the past?
Of course yes, but birthing a different headline from the sad reality on ground would only breed stiffness in some areas. It was simply a meeting to discuss economic alliance and all of a sudden it became this? Apparently, if it turns out to be true, I would never be worried because the States with the Old Eastern Regions know themselves. Old Bendel was mid-west.

And Delta attending in the past is way different from now as there are agitations in the five South Eastern states and land grabbing tendencies have been flagged. It is a different ball game now.

2 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by hammerF: 6:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

I'm not pained on your comments and i don't disagree with you the slightest bit..relax

COOL, MAKE OUR LEADERS THEY LEARN POLITICS FOR OUR HAND. grin

THEY ARE TOO OLD...
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 16, 2017
hammerF:

COOL, MAKE OUR LEADERS THEY LEARN POLITICS FOR OUR HAND. grin

The future is great for the South East and the South South...I've been advocating this on the street since 2015 when APC started their maddness.. God Bless the SS and the SE...

People get rid of the bias..

3 Likes

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by malware: 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2017
Biafraudland can't make it alone, they are now the unity seekers, staying glued to South-South.. .. funny

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nikbaebrown(f): 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
connectpoint:

I'm Sure You Didnt Get His Point Correctly Sir.
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nikbaebrown:

I'm Sure You Didnt Get His Point Correctly Sir.

Obviously i did not...
Re: Southeast, South-south Governors To Recreate Old Eastern Region by Amarabae(f): 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2017
Let me repeat it again. This headline is wrong, they are NOT trying to recreate any Eastern Nigeria. They met for just Economic patnership. Don't destroy this alliance with lack of diplomacy.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Hosts Evander Holyfield At His Ikoyi Residence (Photos) / El-Rufai: South-East Can Fit Into Kaduna Two And The Half Times / President Buhari To Address The Nation At 8pm Tonight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.