Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,842 members, 7,817,492 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? (17799 Views)

Coronavirus: US Consulate In Nigeria Cancels All Visa Applications / US: Why We Rejected 44.9% Of Nigerian Nonimmigrant B Visa Applications In 2017 / Scarcity Of International Passport Booklets At The Nigeria Immigration (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2017
Xerum:

This much is clear. The question the op has is, why can’t the Nigerian immigration do this themselves.
It is very a simple process; all they need do is, link their website to some back-end payment platform (The telecom companies in Nigeria have been doing this for years, where you buy credit to your phone via your bank site) and then audit the amount of visas issued against the revenue from visa fees periodically i.e. quarterly, bi-annually or annually. All the visas issued have reference numbers, so it should not be that difficult to reconcile. No, they won’t do that. They will make every simple process a draconian task in order to create loop holes for corruption.

I celebrate your intellect Sir.

Many will consider themselves educated but have woefully failed this simply question posed.

Have a nice Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by LoveJesus87(m): 4:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

Don't take my word for it. Just go and see it for yourself.
omo wahala dey o. Abeg how I fit change nationality sharp sharp? shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
belindar:

I disagreed with you. they are not fully staffed Nigerians. I have calls to the embassy on many occasions, All the people I talked to are not Nigerian. Pakistan, Indians, mostly Asians. So get your fact right.

Don't mind him.

I had issues figuring out their convoluted system and had to call in, the guy I spoke to is Indian and I suspect he was sitting in a call center in India.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 30, 2017
maestro2000:

At OP, if I read you correctly, you're in the United States and you're talking about a third party payment and contractor... I am really disappointed in you. If truly you've travelled like you claimed, you will know it's nothing new. Atleast you've filed taxes in the US , let's assumes you always get a tax refund and you have never owed any back taxes to irs, I am sure you have friend who has at one time or the other owed Irs, ..IRS in the United States doesn't process your payment money, it has to go through a third party which will attract a processing fee of atleast $107 (as at this year 2016 tax that's the least filling fee which comes out of your bank acct). Sometimes I come here to read some wannabe who always use Nigeria to gain some cheap publicity... This procedure happens virtually in all countries... when you're paying with visa or MasterCard for visa processing you don't complain or is mastercard a US government entity? .

Smh.

Pardon my sentence construction.. I am just angry at how people see Nigeria as the worse country ever.
Those contracted to do IRS taxes in the US like Turbo tax do the job atleast. Innovate Services do actually nothing in particular. They just provide the application form for you to fill after which you submit the form to the immigrations office by mail, is that one job? Can't Nigeria immigrations provide the same application form in their own website? You talk of IRS tax in the US, do you know many people that file tax? Giving out the job to contractors will help IRS with the workload. I ask you, how many people apply for nigerian visa? Are they so much that immigrations can not handle it? Even US visa which is the most sought visa is still being handled by US Immigration and not contractors.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by godquality: 4:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
As for the no interview part. If they know you are Nigerian by birth but carries a foreign passport, they don't bother you with interview. This i find very good because rather than travel many miles to the only Embassy or consulate in that country, you can just post the passport to them.

Also, there's nothing uncommon in using a contractor. Even the America you live in do that all the time. Even for security and defence. Do you know how many military contractors America is using? So my dear nothing new here.

If you want to complain about the shabby and unprofessional way some of these embassies staffs treat our citizens then am with you.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by babyfaceafrica: 4:48pm On Jul 30, 2017
chrisj2:

I am not sure this is about bias... It is the way the system runs that is disturbing and wrong.

I paid close to £250 for a visa to go to Nigeria; in fact those in the US have reduced rate on multiple visas and cost less than UK.

$160 plus $20+ fees, plus £20 postal order and £70 to Nja immigration, £72 to OIS (or Innovative...) and then postal fees etc

It was just too expensive but I got it quickly than applying for a Nja passport. That took me more than 3 months in Nja to get it...

Worst still - I found out that the bastard immigration only stamped 1 month on my passport; whereas I paid for 6 months VISA.

Outsourcing is not the issue here but a failed country.
the Op makes it likes its only naija that outsource and collect bribes.. Its a global issue which must be contained...
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by meforyou1(m): 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2017
US and UK embassies in abuja outsourced their visa applications too
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by babestella: 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
IpobExposed:
Biafra must fail stupid people

What's your headache with Biafra?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by engrkaz(m): 5:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
slysteel:
Nigeria is not alone on that,the UK,Australia,Ireland and a whole lot of embassies use contractors,most of these countries i mentioned use a contractor known as vfs global to process visas and applicants are made to pay money to vfs even in Nigeria,you can outsource if the number of visa applicants are much higher than what the few staffs you have at your embassy can handle.
vfs is not involved in visa processing... They only receive applications and ensure all doc is in place, then forward same to d concerned embassy for processing

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by banmee(m): 5:38pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Its the same everywhere. My sister almost went crazy trying to get her passport renewed. WTF. we see the stories here nah. Some Nigerians in Senegal were so disgusted they wrecked the embassy

There's more. Do you know that the embassy is broken down into two areas. One for white people and the other for Nigerians. The one for Nigerians is underground and the one for whites which is clean is up top. A Nigerian embassy.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Xerum(m): 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2017
@EgunMogaji

I celebrate your intellect Sir.

Many will consider themselves educated but have woefully failed this simply question posed.

Have a nice Sunday.

I am humbled sir. A very pleasant Sunday to you too sir.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by vineyardfarms: 6:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
SirJeffry:
I recently secured a Nigerian visa and I was led to apply through one INNOVATE 1 SERVICES who ended up taking $20 as a processing fee after paying $160 visa fees. At the end of the day, I still paid another $30 processing fee to Nigeria embassy Washington. I'm not much worried about the fees but why establish and fund Nigeria immigration services when they can't take care of their business such as this? I've never heard or seen this practice done in other countries. I don't even want to talk about the shabby Nigeria visa with no passport photograph included, no visa interview, unlike other countries who grill intending travelers at interviews.

Any immigration officer here to clarify these?

THEY PRACTICE SAME IN UK. AS A DUAL CITIZEN AM ASTONISHED AND SURPRISED THE WAY THEY EXPLOIT PEOPLE. NO SCREENING. NO INTERVIEW. ONLY INTERESTED IN THEIR FEE. IMMIGRATION ARE 50 Percent CONTRIBUTORS TO THE INSURGENTS IN NIGERIA GRANTING VISAS TO CRIMINALS.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by vineyardfarms: 6:33pm On Jul 30, 2017
SirJeffry:
Those contracted to do IRS taxes in the US like Turbo tax do the job atleast. Innovate Services do actually nothing in particular. They just provide the application form for you to fill after which you submit the form to the immigrations office by mail, is that one job? Can't Nigeria immigrations provide the same application form in their own website? You talk of IRS tax in the US, do you know many people that file tax? Giving out the job to contractors will help IRS with the workload. I ask you, how many people apply for nigerian visa? Are they so much that immigrations can not handle it? Even US visa which is the most sought visa is still being handled by US Immigration and not contractors.

THEY DO NOT INTERVIEW APPLICANTS. THEY TOY WITH NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUES. THE USA OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY WILL NEVER GIVE OR ISSUE VISA WITHOUT DUE PROCESS OF INTERVIEW AND PASSPORT PHOTOS
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Ilaje44(m): 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

It is the way Nigerians are built. Corruption rules their lives. I went to the Nigerian embassy in Berlin once and i swore never to set foot in another Nigerian embassy till the day i die. The staff were rude and did not give a phuck about Nigerians trying to do business there. Plus, they were glaringly collecting bribe to expedite whatever you wanted to do. The worst thing was, they were selling food inside offices while conducting business. Can you imagine? One official was eating rice and beans while asking questions? That country is living on borrowed time.

You are absolutely right. Du hast absolut Recht. Es gibt absolut keine nigerianische Regierungs-Behörde, die gute Arbeitsethik kennt. They are all corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Ilaje44(m): 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

It is the way Nigerians are built. Corruption rules their lives. I went to the Nigerian embassy in Berlin once and i swore never to set foot in another Nigerian embassy till the day i die. The staff were rude and did not give a phuck about Nigerians trying to do business there. Plus, they were glaringly collecting bribe to expedite whatever you wanted to do. The worst thing was, they were selling food inside offices while conducting business. Can you imagine? One official was eating rice and beans while asking questions? That country is living on borrowed time.

You are absolutely right.

Du hast absolut Recht. Es gibt absolut keine nigerianische Regierungs-Behörde, die gute Arbeitsethik kennt.

They are all corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by banmee(m): 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
Ilaje44:

You are absolutely right.

Du hast absolut Recht. Es gibt absolut keine nigerianische Regierungs-Behörde, die gute Arbeitsethik kennt.

They are all corrupt.

This is the only thing i regret not learning while in Germany. The language. I just wasted six years there.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by banmee(m): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
SirJeffry:

No one is contracted to do what the IRS does in the U.S. Guy, who tell you this one. Turbo tax, H&R Block and the likes provide services to help you the individual and not the IRS.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by qleap2all(m): 6:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
Delightbaby:
Nigeria can never do anything good like other countries. Everything in this country is just different from it's conterpact.
Who handles that of UK?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by gantic: 7:03pm On Jul 30, 2017
Amoto94:
Oga the thing tire me most NLs are ignorant of simple facts yet ran amok thinking they know it all. I pity the future of this country

It's actually scary because most of the posters are young (under 30) with ready access to internet. Our youth can't be sooooo ignorant, the fear from our leadership failures is a joke compared to the fear from an ignorant youth.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 30, 2017
napoleon77:
It's all about efficiency and it's not restricted to the Nigeria Immigration Service. If a private sector organisation can perform a service better then government then it's best to outsource the service. VFS Global handle visa applications for the UK and many other countries

Not sure anyone will listen to you. Many people here have made peace with ignorance. I appreciate the intellectual rigor you've put into this. At least you are keeping your personal standards. Keep going.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by ghetto101(m): 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
Bro it's un believable,even in the UK it's the same,it seems like a dream to me.

SirJeffry:
I recently secured a Nigerian visa and I was led to apply through one INNOVATE 1 SERVICES who ended up taking $20 as a processing fee after paying $160 visa fees. At the end of the day, I still paid another $30 processing fee to Nigeria embassy Washington. I'm not much worried about the fees but why establish and fund Nigeria immigration services when they can't take care of their business such as this? I've never heard or seen this practice done in other countries. I don't even want to talk about the shabby Nigeria visa with no passport photograph included, no visa interview, unlike other countries who grill intending travelers at interviews.

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Jaqenhghar: 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

There's more. Do you know that the embassy is broken down into two areas. One for white people and the other for Nigerians. The one for Nigerians is underground and the one for whites which is clean is up top. A Nigerian embassy.
Are you fvcking serious? shocked shocked shocked
She must hear this.
Nigerians and eye service... SMH..U were talking about not being avlble to maintain toilets I tell you the cleanest public toilets in Naija are at the aorports.. international wing of course. Even in my office I see these things bro.
I told you I work for a foreign organization I swear if you want to see Nigerians doing well at work let one oyonbo be nearby. Nigerians are like dogs. once one oyinbo steps into tue picture they start tearing each other down. If I begin talk bro I go full NL with gist.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Jaqenhghar: 8:01pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

This is the only thing i regret not learning while in Germany. The language. I just wasted six years there.
You Bleep up brah. Mybrother -in law sabi d tin pieces. I go like make una meet up honestly. You remind me of him in so many ways

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by banmee(m): 8:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

You Bleep up brah. Mybrother -in law sabi d tin pieces. I go like make ina meet up. You remind me of him in so many ways

Lol. It wasn't my fault really. I was living in a country within a country. The U.S bases in Germany are built in such a way that you would think you were still in America. For instance we spend only dollars. We only use Euro when we leave post. Everything is provided to us to give us the feeling like we are still in the U.S. I guess if we have been forced to live like Germans i would have learn't the language.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by banmee(m): 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Are you fvcking serious? shocked shocked shocked
She must hear this.
Nigerians and eye service... SMH..U were talking about not being avlble to maintain toilets I tell you the cleanest public toilets in Naija are at the aorports.. international wing of course. Even in my office I see these things bro.
I told you I work for a foreign organization I swear if you want to see Nigerians doing well at work let one oyonbo be nearby. Nigerians are like dogs. once one oyinbo steps into tue picture they start tearing each other down. If I begin talk bro I go full NL with gist.

Nigeria is just too amazing for words.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by kayalla(f): 8:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
its crazy,even in UAE when i wanted to renew my passport i had to go thru an agent paid the agent a certain amount and still had to pay the renewal fee at the embassy.
we no dey try at all.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by onyeawka80(m): 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2017
banmee:

like seriously?? Hahahaha
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Amoto94(m): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
gantic:

It's actually scary because most of the posters are young (under 30) with ready access to internet. Our youth can't be sooooo ignorant, the fear from our leadership failures is a joke compared to the fear from an ignorant youth.

It is quite baffling and irritating to say the least

1 Like

Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by brilliant5(m): 9:10pm On Jul 30, 2017
Useless immigration pple. All de kw how to do is look for pple dat want passport, charge high prizes for express.....
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 31, 2017
SirJeffry:

Same way other countries hire VFS, DHL, Teleperformance and co to aid visa application, it's not a Nigerian only thing

How come there are so many ignoramus on this thread including the OP, always quick to find fault against Nigeria unjustly, so irritating and simple minded yet they will want to quote me and feel like intellectuals, bloody nuisance
Re: Why Does Nigeria Immigration Hire Contractors To Handle Visa Applications? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 31, 2017
yhemster:

**The contractor handling this payment is a Nigerian company based in CT and fully staffed by Nigerians.

**Oga you can't expect Nigeria to have embassy in all states of the US. The country has 3-4 embassies around the US, in my opinion they don try. You choose to live in LA biko, go ask the Nigerians in Canada where the only embassy is in Ottawa.

There are some people that get a kick out of mocking Nigeria since it's the only thing that makes them validate themselves for deciding to move to a country with harsh cold weather and boring lifestyles. That's the only thing that makes them happy "That Nigeria is constantly criticized"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tips For First Time Travelers To An Unfamiliar Country / COVID-19: 160 Nigerians Return From USA / Lagos-abuja Bus Fare?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.