Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review (18844 Views)

Extract From The BOOK 12 Rules Of Life ~ Godfather Movie ~ Be A Man / J.K RANDLE The Godfather Never Sleeps Needed Pls !! / Tears - story by mario (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ojemedad: 7:26am On Aug 02, 2017
And I love this...

5 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ojemedad: 7:27am On Aug 02, 2017

3 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by plessis: 7:29am On Aug 02, 2017
I like the don's power of persuasion
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by chuckky86(m): 7:32am On Aug 02, 2017
Read and watched over n over again and will still do again. Even Jay-Z still made reference to it in "family feud" of his "4:44 album", that tells how classical it is.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Dancos: 7:33am On Aug 02, 2017
The godfather is an inspirational book. You are not yet a man if you have not read the book and maybe also watch the film 1-3. "Behind every great fortune there is a crime". Enjoy the book.

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 7:37am On Aug 02, 2017
Chai!!! I have like 8 of his books (soft copies) and i've read none..smh
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by metroid(m): 7:40am On Aug 02, 2017
czarina:
can I pm you? I need that book

No problemo
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by WeirdWolf: 7:43am On Aug 02, 2017
Omerta

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by JhimmyThall(m): 7:58am On Aug 02, 2017
zicky:
"The Family" is another must read by Mario puzo
... Another Fascinating book by him. Have read The Family, The Godfather, and Last Don, apart from Sicily which someone said is sequel to Godfather do you know other books written by Mario Puzo please?.. Going to look for Sicily now
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by gGGODDd(m): 8:03am On Aug 02, 2017
The Corleone family was sinking at a time after the death of Santino corleone (aka Sonny d don's first son who was hot tempered)his temper was used to work against him when he was ambushed on his way to kill his sister's husband 4 beatn up his sister unknowingly 2 him dat it has already been planned. santino was ambushed at a checkpoint by mafian soldiers who shot at him from both sides of the checkpoint, Santino seeing whats goin on was tryin to pull out his pistol but the bullets were too much from both sides of checkpoint not more than 14 mafian soldiers shot at him until santino was able 2 get out d car n d soldiers got a better chance 2 spray him with bullets all over his body from head to toe, his car was sprayed too n they left d bastardized body of sonny on d ground n left den immediately d corleone soldiers came 2 d scene but it was 2 late as Santino corleone was already sprayd with bullets n his whole body messd up. This actually weakened d Godfather corleone n he was was forced to call a meeting with all d heads of d five mafian families in Newyork. cut a long story short After d death of d Godfather, who's to head d family? certainly not d Godfather's 2nd son Freddo Corleone who was a weakling n a clown n so d youngest son Michael Corleone took over as d Godfather after he executed d heads of d five newyork mafia families to retain his father's position as d Godfather. Michael Corleone bcame d Godfather at a very yung age as all other members of d other families came to pledge their loyalty to him by kissing his hand n calling him d Godfather. n so Michael Corleone piloted d affairs of d family together with d family's consigliere Tom Hagen who was a good lawyer n also Fat clamenza but he executed his brother Fredo Corleone who was so foolish n weak enough to betray d family. but Michael raised the Corleone family to d greatest heights alongside with d family's loyal consigliere Tom Hagen who was d don's adopted son brought in by Santino. I so much luv d movie n I cud watch it thru out a whole day without getting bored I love d soundtrack especially. the movie was acted based on d Capo regime of d Italy. some quotes: "Keep ur frnds close n ur enemies closer", "Anybody that comes to you for a Barzini meeting is a Traitor "

6 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 8:03am On Aug 02, 2017
Dancos:
The godfather is an inspirational book. You are not yet a man if you have not read the book and maybe also watch the film 1-3. "Behind every great fortune there is a crime". Enjoy the book.
Got a notification of ur mail but i can't find it
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by CandiceJay(f): 8:06am On Aug 02, 2017
The Godfather, Omerta, Fools die... Books for keeps.

Mario Puzo is one intelligent writer but why does all his books center around the Mafia community?
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Lumig: 8:06am On Aug 02, 2017
In the movie world, it is The Godfather and the others...A masterpiece

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by CandiceJay(f): 8:11am On Aug 02, 2017
JhimmyThall:
... Another Fascinating book by him. Have read The Family, The Godfather, and Last Don, apart from Sicily which someone said is sequel to Godfather do you know other books written by Mario Puzo please?.. Going to look for Sicily now

Try to read Omerta, Fools Die and The Sicilian
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by sweetetlove(f): 8:17am On Aug 02, 2017
Mario Puzo is a master storyteller. I so much love the book
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by czarina(f): 8:21am On Aug 02, 2017
metroid:

No problemo
just did
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by encryptjay(m): 8:26am On Aug 02, 2017
Don Vito taught me how to reason with people cool
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by BlueMags(m): 8:30am On Aug 02, 2017
uminem02:

pls can u mail me the soft copy?

pls bro.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 8:32am On Aug 02, 2017
BlueMags:

pls can u mail me the soft copy?
pls bro.
Drop ur e-mail, i'll do it but not now
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uniqueogo(f): 8:33am On Aug 02, 2017
Dexema:
Unfortunately I won't be interested in reading the book anymore after watching part 1-3 of the movie. Part 1 and 2 were the most interesting for me.

the movie isn't even as detailed as the book itself
if you read the book you will find out u missed a lot

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by spartan117(m): 8:33am On Aug 02, 2017
petermuller:
“The epic tales of crime and betrayal”

This book is a fiction (crime) novel written by Italian American author Mario Puzo. It’s based on the Mafia world. It was released in 1969 and the screen adaptation won numerous awards, most notably ‘the academy award for best adapted screenplay’ in 1972.

The book features the legendary Corleone family in New York City (Long Beach) who came in as migrants from Italy in the 1920s, this book is about the rise of a man from relatively nothing to something and his efforts to keep his sand castle upright. It explains the underground criminal world in great details.

Don Vito, as he is regularly addressed in the society is the head of one of four families in the mafia families in New York. Is a man of wit and outstanding character, having built his empire from careful manipulation, he sees things crumbling when he was attacked by another mafia family (Virgil Sollozzo), who was in a quest to take his territory and expand business.

After his first son got killed, there was a void left to fill as who will lead the family his immature children or his foster child?

The book is a perfect mix of family, betrayal, revenge, and survival, and is an easy path for imaginative thinking, with the way the writer kept the character web well organised and vast. The book’s setting was mainly New York and there were a few actions in the Old Italian town of Sicily, where the Corleone family were originated.

The question to be asked in this book is if truly there were characters in the real world who were into this nature of activity. As time went on, numerous crime families in America were exposed and their dealings were found to be very similar to the one explained in the book. Part of such families were the Colombo family, the Los Angeles Crime Family. The level of crime reported in this book are not actually overrated as they were mostly research and testimonies made by members who turned against their Mafias. The book explains most misused and misunderstood terminologies in the society today, like; the capo, soldiers, Consigliere, associates and informants.

The book vast character list makes it very easy to relate to as you would find your personality in one or many of them.

For me, and most reviewers, the godfather is a MUST READ, for lovers of crime fiction and if you are not, then you might want to give it a try, although one of the deterrents of people from reading this book is the volume. But this shouldn’t be a problem if you are an avid reader or you simply want something to relax, and step into the crime world and know what exactly “crime” entails.

For more book reviews visit www.revhaven.com
Ur review is wrong firstly there were 5 Mafia families not 4: corleone(long island little Italy) tataglia (Brooklyn ) stracci(new Jersey) barzini (midtown ) and cuneo (hell's kitchen ). Secondly Virgil sollozo wasn't a Mafia family, he was a lone business man seeking to expand his drug business and Don Vito didn't want drugs on d street, so sollozo conspired with the tataglia family to take him out. Lastly there was no leadership void left by Sonny's death it wasn't necessary that his son inherits the family the rank of Don was earned not inherited this explains one of the reasons Michael had to break up the family and give a part to Peter clemenza once he had successfully avenged his father and brother

6 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by imam07: 8:38am On Aug 02, 2017
The god father movie. The greatest movie ever.
Then,While shooting the movie, those actors did not believe the movie wld be a hit.

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by imam07: 8:46am On Aug 02, 2017
spartan117:

Ur review is wrong firstly there were 5 Mafia families not 4: corleone(long island little Italy) tataglia (Brooklyn ) stracci(new Jersey) barzini (midtown ) and cuneo (hell's kitchen ). Secondly Virgil sollozo wasn't a Mafia family, he was a lone business man seeking to expand his drug business and Don Vito didn't want drugs on d street, so sollozo conspired with the tataglia family to take him out. Lastly there was no leadership void left by Sonny's death it wasn't necessary that his son inherits the family the rank of Don was earned not inherited this explains one of the reasons Michael had to break up the family and give a part to Peter clemenza once he had successfully avenged his father and brother
You are right but Don Barzini was behind all the conspiracy against the Corleone.
I watch the movie every time and still have most of the quotes in my head.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Wadosky(m): 8:51am On Aug 02, 2017
A man that doesn't spend time with his family is not a man.

4 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by spartan117(m): 8:54am On Aug 02, 2017
imam07:
You are right but Don Barzini was behind all the conspiracy against the Corleone.
I watch the movie every time and still have most of the quotes in my head.
Yeah barzini was the main man behind everything, but sollozo and tartaglia spearheaded the plot to kill Don Corleone
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Enoquin(f): 8:59am On Aug 02, 2017
Awoo88:

The killing of the main character by his must trusted friend is one part I wished was written differently

That's the part that got me angry so bad that I was angry at Mario Puzo for a while. At that time I wished the same thing but as a writer I have come to respect that a writer can do as he so pleases with his or her characters and that only one with a mind of steel can
cause an upset with his or her story causing the reader to cry, steam or boil.
Another upsetting piece was this play 'Lion and the Jewel' by Wole Soyinka.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by diezani(f): 9:00am On Aug 02, 2017
gGGODDd:
The Corleone family was sinking at a time after the death of Santino corleone (aka Sonny d don's first son who was hot tempered)his temper was used to work against him when he was ambushed on his way to kill his sister's husband 4 beatn up his sister unknowingly 2 him dat it has already been planned. santino was ambushed at a checkpoint by mafian soldiers who shot at him from both sides of the checkpoint, Santino seeing whats goin on was tryin to pull out his pistol but the bullets were too much from both sides of checkpoint not more than 14 mafian soldiers shot at him until santino was able 2 get out d car n d soldiers got a better chance 2 spray him with bullets all over his body from head to toe, his car was sprayed too n they left d bastardized body of sonny on d ground n left den immediately d corleone soldiers came 2 d scene but it was 2 late as Santino corleone was already sprayd with bullets n his whole body messd up. This actually weakened d Godfather corleone n he was was forced to call a meeting with all d heads of d five mafian families in Newyork. cut a long story short After d death of d Godfather, who's to head d family? certainly not d Godfather's 2nd son Freddo Corleone who was a weakling n a clown n so d youngest son Michael Corleone took over as d Godfather after he executed d heads of d five newyork mafia families to retain his father's position as d Godfather. Michael Corleone bcame d Godfather at a very yung age as all other members of d other families came to pledge their loyalty to him by kissing his hand n calling him d Godfather. n so Michael Corleone piloted d affairs of d family together with d family's consigliere Tom Hagen who was a good lawyer n also Fat clamenza but he executed his brother Fredo Corleone who was so foolish n weak enough to betray d family. but Michael raised the Corleone family to d greatest heights alongside with d family's loyal consigliere Tom Hagen who was d don's adopted son brought in by Santino. I so much luv d movie n I cud watch it thru out a whole day without getting bored I love d soundtrack especially. the movie was acted based on d Capo regime of d Italy. some quotes: "Keep ur frnds close n ur enemies closer", "Anybody that comes to you for a Barzini meeting is a Traitor "

you were almost 100% right. Michael's consigliere wasn't Tom Hagen. it was Al Neri.
wtf is caporegime of Italy?
on Sonny's death, the godfather wasnt weakened, he even said it that Sonny would have made a bad don. that meeting was held to ensure safe landing for Michael from Sicily and to find out who masterminded the attacks.

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by bnovative(m): 9:04am On Aug 02, 2017
Puzzo was in a class out of the ordinary! I keep watching the movies made from his books even in 2017. He was simply the best!!!
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by bnovative(m): 9:04am On Aug 02, 2017
Puzzo was in a class out of the ordinary! I keep watching the movies made from his books even in 2017. He was simply the best!!!
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by imam07: 9:07am On Aug 02, 2017
Most of the actors are dead now
Vito Corleone(Marlon Brando),Fred,Moe Green,Tessio,Clemente,Sollozo,that currupt police officer,Barzini,Jack woltz,Johnny fontane,Luca Brasil,Tattaglia and more.

2 Likes

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by imam07: 9:11am On Aug 02, 2017
diezani:

you were almost 100% right. Michael's consigliere wasn't Tom Hagen. it was Al Neri.
wtf is caporegime of Italy?
on Sonny's death, the godfather wasnt weakened, he even said it that Sonny would have made a bad don. that meeting was held to ensure safe landing for Michael from Sicily and to find out who masterminded the attacks.

The meeting expose who was behind the conspiracy.The Tattaglia family was used by don Barzini.

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Tattooboy: 9:20am On Aug 02, 2017
uminem02:
really?

Bro pls mail me if you have The Last Don, The Family and Fools Die. I'll be grateful.

Princedeola@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story / Get any Book you want free of charge (drop requests) / Fuel Scarcity And The Missing Prick: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.