Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review (18842 Views)

Extract From The BOOK 12 Rules Of Life ~ Godfather Movie ~ Be A Man / J.K RANDLE The Godfather Never Sleeps Needed Pls !! / Tears - story by mario (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by jayraster(m): 10:33pm On Aug 02, 2017
uminem02:
Chai!!! I have like 8 of his books (soft copies) and i've read none..smh
bro pls mi too... can u send dem to me? I nid dem...tnks
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by jayraster(m): 10:36pm On Aug 02, 2017
uminem02:
email is warhead0911@gmail.com...
thanks for ur cooperation.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Awoo88: 6:28am On Aug 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Guillermo and Aspanu if I remember correctly.
I loved how Puzo compared them to Jesus and Judas at the end of the book.
Aspanu, like Judas would have been a footnote, a mere page in the history books of Guillermo and Jesus respectively. But by betraying their bosses, they became legends in their own right, they wrote their own histories.

Mario Puzo was a genius!!!
Legends in a wrong way and for the wrong things. Hevwas buried with the tag that said something like " may the enimy of Guillermo meet their end like or so dead the enimy of....". Can't recollect vividly
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ikemefuna44: 6:57am On Aug 03, 2017
nitt:

pls send to me too
doinborbor@yahoo.com
Boss, please kindly forward a soft copy to me too: ikemefuna44@gmail.com
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by diezani(f): 7:44am On Aug 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Wow!
Your knowledge of the story is impressive but you are a bit wrong.
Al Neri was never consigliere. He was a police officer who turned Button man for Michael. After Tessio was killed, he took over Tessio's crew and became caporegime.
He was referred to as Michael's Luca Brasi.

There were three consiglieri, Genco, Tom and Don Vito. Don Vito assumed the role for Michael as Tom was not considered fit to be a war-time consigliere.

true.. al neri was never consigliere, Don Vito replaced Hagen. After Vito's death and all the score settling, Neri takes over tessio's crew. very true.
but going forward in the story, Michael doesn't really have any real consigliere in the story anymore, because hagen has become their legitimate business lawyer in Nevada, he's only called upon when Michael has to hide for a while , hagen doesn't return as a real consigliere. the person still closest to Michael's nice and vindictive heart is neri... what do you think
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by diezani(f): 7:46am On Aug 03, 2017
Awoo88:

You are wrong about Al neri. He was an enforcer/ body guard. He was mike's luca brassi.The don himself was the consigeliere until his death. Tommy was returned to his post as consigeliere after the don's dismal. The reason for removing tommy was for protection. He had settled his family east and tommy was sent along with them. As soon as the don died, Tommy was recalled
true. but hagen wasn't really recalled
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Awoo88: 8:45am On Aug 03, 2017
diezani:

true. but hagen wasn't really recalled
Yes he was. Mike told tommy how the don told him that he tommy will figure out why he was sent out but he could longer afford the luxury of his absence. Told him he was needed by his side after the don's dead
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ranchhoddas: 10:10am On Aug 03, 2017
diezani:

true.. al neri was never consigliere, Don Vito replaced Hagen. After Vito's death and all the score settling, Neri takes over tessio's crew. very true.
but going forward in the story, Michael doesn't really have any real consigliere in the story anymore, because hagen has become their legitimate business lawyer in Nevada, he's only called upon when Michael has to hide for a while , hagen doesn't return as a real consigliere. the person still closest to Michael's nice and vindictive heart is neri... what do you think
You are quite correct. Al Neri went on to forge a great Don-Capo partnership with Michael.
But Hagen was retained as Consigliere. If you remember, when Kay got angry at Michael for killing Carlo Rizzi (Connie's Husband) and left him, it was Tom who went to her house and gave her a hint as to the necessity of the action.
This was after the peace had been made and the Corleones had become the most powerful Mafia family.
That was a Consigliere at work.
Even in the sequels, Hagen was consigliere till he was murdered.
You should check them out.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Ranchhoddas: 10:18am On Aug 03, 2017
Awoo88:

Yes he was. Mike told tommy how the don told him that he tommy will figure out why he was sent out but he could longer afford the luxury of his absence. Told him he was needed by his side after the don's dead
You are right. I remember him saying "I put on my Sicilian hat and finally figured it out".

Tom Hagen was my favourite Puzo character. In fact, my alternate handle on this forum is in his honour.
I was so mad when that silly sequel-writer decided to kill his character.
Those sequels should never have been written.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by diezani(f): 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
You are quite correct. Al Neri went on to forge a great Don-Capo partnership with Michael.
But Hagen was retained as Consigliere. If you remember, when Kay got angry at Michael for killing Carlo Rizzi (Connie's Husband) and left him, it was Tom who went to her house and gave her a hint as to the necessity of the action.
This was after the peace had been made and the Corleones had become the most powerful Mafia family.
That was a Consigliere at work.
Even in the sequels, Hagen was consigliere till he was murdered.
You should check them out.

the godfather returns and the family Corleone are not great books. they are too disjointed, there's too much struggle to blend into the puzo storyline. For academic readers like me, Winegardner's books are a blot on the main godfather story and boringly revisionist. you don't have to fill every blank and open end in the Godfather story, those are part of what makes it the classic that it is - allowing the imagination of the readers to roam . I concur with others who have said Winegardner's books should be used to wrap frozen fishes and sent to his publisher
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Awoo88: 1:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
You are right. I remember him saying "I put on my Sicilian hat and finally figured it out".

Tom Hagen was my favourite Puzo character. In fact, my alternate handle on this forum is in his honour.
I was so mad when that silly sequel-writer decided to kill his character.
Those sequels should never have been written.
There are some works of art you done do anything about. Just leave it the way there are. Who ever did sequence deserve a jail time. Tommy had more knowledge about that family and he was the only one who could reason like the Don. Killing him means the Corleone family have been defeated.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
The Sicilian is not a sequel. It overlapped with Michael's exile to Italy.
The sequels are "The Godfather Returns" and the Godfather Revenge" by Mike Winegardner.
There is also a prequel titled "The Family Corleone" by Ed Falco.

Thanks for the correction. I refereed to it as a sequel cos it's the only book by Mario Puzo that dwells a bit on Michael's exile aside Godfather ( I stand to be corrected).
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by mrryder04(m): 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2017
The Godfather III is dubbed the best motion picture of all time, for me it's the best film i have ever watched
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Lilibeth914(f): 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
uminem02:
E-mail address pls
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Lilibeth914(f): 7:05pm On Aug 03, 2017
[quote author=uminem02 post=59064605]Chai!!! I have like 8 of his books (soft copies) and i've read none..smh[/quote... Please send me all of them, I am interested,.. elizabethokoro26@gmail.com.... Thank you ]
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Lilibeth914(f): 7:07pm On Aug 03, 2017
uminem02:
Please send me all of them, I am interested,.. elizabethokoro26@gmail.com.... Thank you
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by petermuller(m): 8:23pm On Aug 03, 2017
spartan117:

Ur review is wrong firstly there were 5 Mafia families not 4: corleone(long island little Italy) tataglia (Brooklyn ) stracci(new Jersey) barzini (midtown ) and cuneo (hell's kitchen ). Secondly Virgil sollozo wasn't a Mafia family, he was a lone business man seeking to expand his drug business and Don Vito didn't want drugs on d street, so sollozo conspired with the tataglia family to take him out. Lastly there was no leadership void left by Sonny's death it wasn't necessary that his son inherits the family the rank of Don was earned not inherited this explains one of the reasons Michael had to break up the family and give a part to Peter clemenza once he had successfully avenged his father and brother
The book I a little bit different from the Movie
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by imam07: 10:53pm On Aug 03, 2017
petermuller:

The book I a little bit different from the Movie
Remember the script was written by the movie director Francis Ford Coppola. New ideas was brought into the movie in order to make it a masterpiece.
I always fall in love with the soundtrack.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 04, 2017
MY REVIEW, MIND NOT MY SPELLINGS. ...IT HAS BEEN A WHILE

An undaunted writer was Mario Puzo, his book THE GODFATHER reflects a mafia layout in the italian style forming in the 'then' America. 'Don Vito Corleone' the GodFather and man of 'REASON' himself showed great courage in his first attempt at deciding his destiny by killing 'Fannucci' the hoodlum-called-mafia in his attempt to rid Vito of his and his partners-in-crime's hard earned money. Vito became a man who people turn to when in need of money and advice or both and that became the foundation on which he built his empire.
'Clemenzia' and 'Tessio' were the caporegime or captains involved in securing the business envronment of the 'Genco Pura' olive oil company. 'Genco Abbadanno' was the 'Conselingre' of the Don until he was riddled with cancer and the boy-come-man 'Hagen' rescued by 'Sonny' one of the Don's Son a young man with unrestrainable temper who was not expected to suceed the Don in the family business took his place.
Mario gave an air of violence to Luca Brasi's being, someone with expertise in killing and a tool of the great Don. His expertise ended when 'Sollozo' came into play and ruined an almost peaceful mafia environment by attempting the murder of the Don, when he saw the eagerness of Sonny to join him in his drug business with the support of the 'Tattagallia' and 'Barzini' faminy which were in a power tussle with the 'Corleone' family.
In an attempt to end the war before the Don got out of his sick bed, 'Michael' the only son of the Don with semblance in personality but not looks killed 'Sollozo' and a police captain after which he fled the country to Sicily to hide.
The Don, very disappointed in the was the matter was handled while in his sick bed was not pleased. 'Sonny' was later ambushed by the lure planned by 'Conny's' (only daughter of the Don) husband 'Carlo' and killed, a deed which made the Don call a meeting of all the Don's in New york to negociate peace.........
Abeg let me stop here for now i just love the story but typing is not easy. Till later.

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by xprezz02(f): 11:01am On Aug 04, 2017
PETUK:
boyfriend please send it to me thank you petukjr@gmail.com
Lol.. uminem02 see ur boyfriend... hmmm
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 11:11am On Aug 04, 2017
xprezz02:
I rebuke you!!
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by xprezz02(f): 11:29am On Aug 04, 2017
uminem02:
I rebuke you!!
Lol.no be me talk am na
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by PETUK(m): 2:59pm On Aug 04, 2017
xprezz02:
i'm still waiting man
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
PETUK:
i'm still waiting man
I'll send them as soon as power is restored. They're on my laptop
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by PETUK(m): 3:21pm On Aug 04, 2017
uminem02:

I'll send them as soon as power is restored. They're on my laptop
thanks man, it's like you had a problem being addressed as boyfriend abi 14years dey scare you don't worry you won't do it alone we'll be doing together
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 3:34pm On Aug 04, 2017
PETUK:
thanks man, it's like you had a problem being addressed as boyfriend abi 14years dey scare you don't worry you won't do it alone we'll be doing together
Abeg oo...

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
Awoo88:

Legends in a wrong way and for the wrong things. Hevwas buried with the tag that said something like " may the enimy of Guillermo meet their end like or so dead the enimy of....". Can't recollect vividly

"SO DIE ALL WHO BETRAY GULIANO" The piece of paper was placed on him be Hector Adonis.

1 Like

Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 04, 2017
diezani:

the godfather returns and the family Corleone are not great books. they are too disjointed, there's too much struggle to blend into the puzo storyline. For academic readers like me, Winegardner's books are a blot on the main godfather story and boringly revisionist. you don't have to fill every blank and open end in the Godfather story, those are part of what makes it the classic that it is - allowing the imagination of the readers to roam . I concur with others who have said Winegardner's books should be used to wrap frozen fishes and sent to his publisher

You are right. I've never bothered reading those books after a friend said same thing about the books. I still prefer the little I read about Michael in The Sicilian.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
Another master piece from Mario Puzo is OMERTA.
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 05, 2017
opal4real:
One of my favourite books. The sequel of Godfather is the Sicilian and it's a must read.

The god father has a sequel ,I never knew oooo.. I have watched that movie many times and still love it

Why haven't they created the movie,the Sicilian or have they ?
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 05, 2017
uminem02:

Boss will u forward the copies to my email if you agree I send my email to you
Re: The Godfather By Mario Puzo Review by uminem02(m): 11:03am On Aug 05, 2017
nurshah:

Boss will u forward the copies to my email if you agree I send my email to you
I will..i've not sent to others because of light ish. Just send ur e-mail address.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story / Get any Book you want free of charge (drop requests) / Fuel Scarcity And The Missing Prick: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.