Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,085 members, 7,811,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties (8272 Views)

Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew / Executive Director On Special Duties To Edo State Governor Defect To PDP / Seriously, What Are The Functions Of A Minister For Special Duties? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by sulad82i(m): 1:13am On Feb 11, 2010
He's still gonna have to make more moves. This is just the beginning
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Kilode1: 1:15am On Feb 11, 2010
In societies where real leaders have balls of steel and hearts filled with honour,  Aoadonkaa would have resigned.

Unfortunately, this Is Nigeria where political leaders are a bunch of idealess sissys and pu**ys. Dora is a small exception(although I'm yet to forgive her for leaving NAFDAC for Information).

This Aoadonkaa fool has proven once again that our country and culture has a along way to go. Very sad.

Jonathan demoted him and he stayed on?!! to prove what!!? That our Culture is sick? and Nigerian men have no Honour? and will do anything for money?

if this story is true, then it is a shame, but why I dey surprise sef? sad sad
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Nobody: 1:30am On Feb 11, 2010
Dont lets get too excited time will tell, as matters unfold what "Goodluck" grin grin grin is really up to
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by agabaI23(m): 1:48am On Feb 11, 2010
^ he is up to good for good luck
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by ayettymama(f): 2:07am On Feb 11, 2010
so what does the special minister do??
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by asscend: 2:17am On Feb 11, 2010
he does special things. The position is undefined but he can be sent to represent us in Haiti, at least by the time he see suffering people there he might repent of his wickedness and selfishness.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by agabaI23(m): 2:18am On Feb 11, 2010
clean the president's toilet.^^

Minister, the president just peed, go and flush the toilet grin

That's a special duty.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Okukk(m): 2:54am On Feb 11, 2010
Aondoakaa, i'm sure this is just the begining of more punishment to come
to me that serves the guy right,
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Okukk(m): 2:59am On Feb 11, 2010
goodluck is really good to luck
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Rmc1(m): 3:14am On Feb 11, 2010
At last they have cut off the head of that evil snake anaakonda  grin  grin  angry
papa god we thank you oh
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Donmeca(m): 3:50am On Feb 11, 2010
Oh! Jonathan. Y not sack d fool, Aondobufallo? Y giv him d grace of redeployment? He has really dealt wit d intelligence of Nigeriansin d name of interpreting d constitution. How d hell did he get to become a SAN?

I saw it coming tho. Jonathan, all things being equal, must av gadad intelligence report on his sick boss to know he's not coming bak to da Villa. He'll now hav his right men around him and prepare to take ova PDP. Watch out for 2011, Goodluck will not "willingly" concede PDP ticket to som1 else. Who says OBJ no sabi book (Maths)? Ojo maduekwe (demi god), Rilwan Lukman(disobeyed d VP in d face of fuel crisis) and, shud jst b kicked out.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Fetus(m): 4:52am On Feb 11, 2010
Why jonathan? Why Aondoakaa? What is going on with Nigeria? when are we going to grow Politically? shocked
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by marvix(m): 5:14am On Feb 11, 2010
Goodluck way to go. This is not a demotion just a redeployment and he is stil a full minister and not minister of state and every ministry is important and everyone plays as a team member, funny enough Aondoaka may hav bin pre informed and may hav even suggested it to save face and calm d polity. The young man is only acting and when the president comes back all decisions can be revisited. I think its not fair to insist dat yaradua will not come back cos if ur dad is sick to d point of death and there is a lot of wealth to be inherited u don't just go into a spending spree cos d old man is critically ill you rather hold forte for him and maintain d family till he comes back or is confirmed dead that is when u take full charge and can do as u lik and I kno dat Goodluck is not just a lucky man but more of a Very Wise Man. More grease to ur elbow I wish him all d best
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by oyinda3(f): 5:17am On Feb 11, 2010
how can you demote a whole justice minister ONLY two days after you assume presidency!?!!
even if you have majority support isn't there supposed to be a process you have to go through??

sounds like symptoms of dictatorship to me.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by oYaTo(m): 5:34am On Feb 11, 2010
oyinda.:

how can you demote a whole justice minister ONLY two days after you assume presidency!?!!

So will it be alright in your own book if he waits a week, a month, or a full year? 

oyinda.:

even if you have majority support isn't there supposed to be a process you have to go through??

sounds like symptoms of dictatorship to me. 

To my understanding, there's no "process". .it's called "executing presidential powers"  cool
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Nigerd(m): 5:56am On Feb 11, 2010
Jonathan removes Aondoakaa

* Posted by Vanguard Media Limited on February 10, 2010 at 10:49pm

ABUJA—ACTING President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, assumed responsibility of the new office, when he approved a mini-cabinet reshuffle which led to the immediate swapping of portfolios by three ministers including the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Michael Aondoakaa, who now becomes the Minister of Special Duties.

The Minister of Labour and Productivity, Prince Adetokunbo Kayode becomes the new Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Ibrahim Kazaure becomes the new Minister of Labour and Productivity.

The redeployments take immediate effect.
Jonathan presided over the weekly Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting, from the official chair of the President bearing the country’s mark of power, the “Coat of Arms.”

Information and Communication Minister, Professor Dora Akunyili, who briefed State House Correspondents after the meeting, said the Council extensively deliberated on the resolution of the National Assembly, declaring former Vice President Jonathan as Acting President and unanimously endorsed it.

She said: “FEC accepts the resolution of the National Assembly that the Vice President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan becomes an Acting President, Commander-in-Chief. Council commends the National Assembly for their action, and pledges to support the Acting President in his onerous responsibility of steering the ship of the nation.”

Asked why the sudden swap within the cabinet, Akunyili said: “it is the decision of the Acting President to move, it is presidential power, he has the presidential powers to remove any of us.”

According to the Minister, her popular memorandum to FEC, penultimate Wednesday, asking ailing President, Yar’Adua to toe the path of honour by handing over power to his deputy, had to be dropped at yesterday’s meeting because she felt there was no need for it again, especially when FEC had adopted NASS resolution.
Akunyili was accompanied to the briefing by the Ministers of Finance, Dr Muhtar Mansur, Sports, Mohammed Ndanusa, Health, Dr. Babatunde Oshotimehin and Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe.

There was a breath of fresh air in Aso Rock, at the meeting which attracted a mammoth crowd of President Umaru Yar’Adua’s aides, some who had, hitherto, absented themselves from FEC meetings without official permission, particularly since Yar’Adua left for treatment.

Obviously afraid of being the first casualties, the Yar’Adua aides were among the early callers at the meeting which was attended by all the ministers and many other cabinet members, because of fear of imminent cabinet shake up.

However, controversial Presidential Adviser on National Assembly Matters, Senator Mohammed Abba-Aji was conspicuously absent, while Principal Secretary to the President, Mr David Edevbie, was seen without a tie for the first time.

The Acting President who does not tolerate lateness to FEC meetings, has put intense pressure on ministers who have to work extra hard to ensure they arrived before Jonathan at yesterday’s sitting.

Unlike in the past, ministers and presidential aides started arriving, as early as 8:43 a.m, for the meeting which started at 10.00 a.m; whereas in the past many of them would choose to attend between 10:30 and 11.00 a.m.

Aondoakaa reacts

Meanwhile, the former Minister of Justice, Aondoakaa, yesterday, told newsmen he had no regrets over his actions in the last eight weeks, noting that there was no way he would have avoided those actions, particularly his insistence that there was no vacuum.

He said: “There is no action I’ve taken that I have regrets for, because every action I took was in the interest of the country. No country will say there is a vacuum. No Attorney General worth his salt will go on the pages of papers to announce that there is a vacuum. We have to preserve executive powers until a leader is selected. A leader has been given by the National Assembly and we have recognized him.

“What we did was a collective decision. First the Acting President told me of the need to go to another ministry. He had a discussion with me in the morning, and it was a cordial arrangement. How do I look at it? Well I am in the government, in the cabinet and I pledge my loyalty to the acting President, I am the Minister of Special Duties.

“The Minister of Labour is now Minister of Justice; I am now the Minister of Special Duties. No, I think it’s understood, first I had a discussion with the Acting President, I have taken a position and in this life when you take a position and there is a change in the position you allow another person who will have a free atmosphere to defend the new position”.

Asked how he intended to perform his new assignments, he said: “When I go there the permanent secretary will brief me on what the special duties are and I will do the job.”

Other decisions of the FEC included the variation of the contract for the construction the two hundred bed hostel at the National Stadium from N892 million to N1.74 billion. The facility is to be upgraded from two-star to a four-star structure.

FEC also approved the appointment of fund managers to manage the recent N10 billion funds, as approved by the National Assembly, for the proposed Urban Mass Transit Programme that was designed to provide loans to operatives at 0.75 per cent interest rate.

Cabinet shake-up covered by ourresolution – Senate

The minor cabinet reshuffle carried out in the Federal Executive Council was within the powers conferred by the Senate resolution on Dr. Goodluck Jonathan as Acting President of the country, the Senate’s acting spokesman, Senator Manzo Anthony has said.

Reacting to yesterday’s cabinet reshuffle, Senator Anthony told Vanguard in a telephone interview that the Acting President was empowered by the Senate resolution to run the Federal Government in a way he thought fit to do.

Affirming that it was an administrative procedure that will not bother the Senate, he said: “Our resolutions were two and very clear. If you give somebody acting appointment, it implies that he would do all the jobs of the person he is acting for and if in his opinion that the government he is leading as acting President will run better by reshuffling ministers so be it. Ministers are doing jobs on behalf of the President and it may well be that he will deploy them to areas that he believes that they will perform better and you will agree with me that once you stay in a place for a long time that it is always good to expose you to other areas.

“I don’t read much into this other than that this is just normal business and we don’t comment on day to day administrative business of the President, that is not our job in the National Assembly. What he has done is within the purview of his role as President and just like you don’t expect the President to interfere in the changes in the committees in parliament, so I think it is purely administrative.

“The resolution says he is Acting President and the Acting President says I can run this thing better this way, so I don’t think he has done anything outside the purview of our resolution.”

Anxiety grips Ministry of Justice workers

There was palpable silence at the Ministry of Justice complex located in Maitama, Abuja, yesterday, as members of staff of the Ministry had a few anxious moments, discussing in hush tones, the removal of their embattled former boss, Chief Michael Kaases Aoandoakaa, SAN, who was relieved of his duties as the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, by Acting President Dr.Goodluck Jonathan.

Aoandoakaa who left his office to attend the Federal Executive Council, FEC, regular Wednesday meetings at the Presidential Villa, had scheduled to hold a closed door meeting with the judicial workers upon return, in an attempt to dissuade them from embarking on an indefinite strike action which they had threatened to commence yesterday.

His plans were, however, shattered by Acting President Jonathan, who appointed former Minister of Labour and Productivity, Prince Adetokumbo Kayode, SAN, to take over the reins of leadership at the Ministry of Justice forthwith.

Upon hearing the news of the removal of their former boss, the workers gathered in small groups to discuss the new turn of events. One of the workers told his colleagues: “I know Oga, he will surely resign from this appointment because I don’t think he will like to act as the Minister of Special Duties after holding sway in Nigerian politics for such a long time. What will he be doing there? This is like being relegated to obscurity.”
Meantime, batches of fierce looking mobile policemen had as early as 9.00 a.m, yesterday, fenced-off the perimeters of the Ministry of Justice Complex, where they subjected everything that was taken out of the complex to intense scrutiny.

Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by Jairzinho(m): 6:21am On Feb 11, 2010
Goodluck seems to have more balls than he's credited with !

The fact that he acted swiftly says a lot about him I guess.

He needn't sack him for many reasons. There's a saying "keep your friends close & your enemies closer" thats what he's doing with this M@#%^&*() called Aaodoanka !

But he needs to move really fast,Nigeria has been on 'go-slow- mode for too long !

Viva Nigeria !
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by ebunma: 6:38am On Feb 11, 2010
The first shot hit the enemy of progress. Next,
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by rasputinn(m): 7:22am On Feb 11, 2010
[img][/img]

This picture is MINT,real power

Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by rasputinn(m): 7:26am On Feb 11, 2010
Fetus:

Why jonathan? Why Aondoakaa? What is going on with Nigeria? when are we going to grow Politically? shocked

cry cry cry cryBoohooohooohoooo,bwaaabwaaabwaaa
Sorry they sacked your father,now he can't rant only in your house

Seriously,are you for real?
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by rasputinn(m): 7:28am On Feb 11, 2010
ayettymama:

so what does the special minister do??

He oversees the refuelling of the gen sets in Aso Rock and packs the pooh of the presidential dogs.If any presidential staff has headache,he goes to buy aspirin
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by olalekan1(m): 7:37am On Feb 11, 2010
That HE-GOAT supposed to be sacked for twisting the law and translating the law in a wrongful way.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by tkb417(m): 8:00am On Feb 11, 2010
why shd you sack him? if he has sense, he'll resign

he is now the official logistics minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he has no secretariat, no building in abuja , in short no office

he is the official errand boi of the President and the cabinet.

You dont just sack people like that, you ridicule him and make him lose face. If i were him, ill resign

Good political points by Jonathan
now im fan of Jonathan

up Goodluck grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by ReachRich(m): 8:15am On Feb 11, 2010
Next is Ojo Maduekwe.He should be demoted to minister of state.If u watched his interview with BBC u would think that the man is on some cheap drugs cos of the way he was answering questns with questns.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by bebe4u(f): 8:18am On Feb 11, 2010
I have a feeling Mrs Dora is on her way to the VP seat.

I watch and wait.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by menipo(m): 8:35am On Feb 11, 2010
@cossidy pls what was Adedibu's comment about Dora that we need to know. Can't seem to remember. Just curious
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by chuxy12(m): 8:37am On Feb 11, 2010
great news! so what happens to ahmed yayale now. plz he shudnt sack the ssg so as not to rock the northern establishment
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by emmaoyegmailcom: 8:50am On Feb 11, 2010
Its time for that change.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by porka: 8:54am On Feb 11, 2010
OLUSEGUN ADENIYI MUST RESIGN IMMEDIATELY. HE SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO RECEIVE SALARY WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING. HE TOLD US THE PRESIDENT ASKED HIM TO GO AND WATCH FOOTBALL MATCH IN ANGOLA. THAT IS THE LEVEL THESE GUYS HAVE REDUCED US TO, AN ADVISER ON MEDIA IS ASKED TO GO AND WATCH FOOTBALL?

JUSTICE DAN ABUTU SHOULD BE PUT IN A PLANE WITH FAROUK AS THE PILOT, ONLY THE TWO OF THEM, AND FLOWN OVER THE ATLANTIC. AMERICANS SHOULD LOAN FAROUK TO US FOR THIS IMPORTANT ASSIGNMENT. THEY SHOULD NOT BOTHER CHECK FAROUK THIS TIME, THAT IS THE ASSIGNMENT HE HAS TO PERFORM FOR HIS FATHERLAND.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by mikkyrazzy: 9:29am On Feb 11, 2010
Very good move. Waiting for more to come. God bless you Oga Jonathan.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by leleri: 9:31am On Feb 11, 2010
shameless lawyer he should sacked.
Re: President Jonathan "demotes" Aondoakaa To Minister Of Special Duties by olafolarin(m): 9:32am On Feb 11, 2010
porka:

OLUSEGUN ADENIYI MUST RESIGN IMMEDIATELY. HE SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO RECEIVE SALARY WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING. HE TOLD US THE PRESIDENT ASKED HIM TO GO AND WATCH FOOTBALL MATCH IN ANGOLA. THAT IS THE LEVEL THESE GUYS HAVE REDUCED US TO, AN ADVISER ON MEDIA IS ASKED TO GO AND WATCH FOOTBALL?

JUSTICE DAN ABUTU SHOULD BE PUT IN A PLANE WITH FAROUK AS THE PILOT, ONLY THE TWO OF THEM, AND FLOWN OVER THE ATLANTIC. AMERICANS SHOULD LOAN FAROUK TO US FOR THIS IMPORTANT ASSIGNMENT. THEY SHOULD NOT BOTHER CHECK FAROUK THIS TIME, THAT IS THE ASSIGNMENT HE HAS TO PERFORM FOR HIS FATHERLAND.

Why?He is a special adviser to President on Media.Not to Yar'Adua but to Nigerian President On Media.
There is a new President now which is Jonathan.He just needs to transfer his duties to the new President except Jonathan want otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Congratulations To Godwin Obaseki, The Governor Elect / ”I Do Not Hate The Fulanis Or Anyone” – Fayose / Nigeria To Build $1.3 Billion Zungeru Hydropower Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.