Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (31315 Views)

Ahmed Musa Ibeto, Niger Deputy Governor Ejected Out Of Government House / Democracy Or Junta? Sss Bars Journalists From Press Centre / DEMOCRACY OR THEOCRACY WHICH FORM OF GOVERNMENT IS BETTER FOR HUMMAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? by ProfJohn1(m): 4:11pm On Feb 22, 2010
It's been said that there are many system of governance in every given nation.
Few of these are: Democracy, Monarchy, Anarchy, etc.
But what surprises me up till now is the type of government that is being practice in Nigeria. We can not called this Monarchy, because in monarchical system of governance, one person (male/female) is at the helm of affairs dishing out rules by Legislating, executing and enforcing the laws all by one figure. Neither can we call our system Democracy, because as it's define, is a government of the people, by the people and for the people, which in practice, creates 3 arms (executives, legislatives and the enforcement) which also provides for separation of powers between the 3 arms of government.
But in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. However, it maybe, permit me to say that no one wish the existence of Anarchy, but Nigeria situation is almost like the latter.
Our Mr President is indispose and hospitalized for over 3 months now. Have we really feel his absence since then? The new Acting-whatever, is there hope of improve situation? What is happening to the mayhem at Jos? What about the 7 point agenda?
If i may ask fellow Nigerians, is it cowardliness natural gentleness that is having way in our lives.
Is it better to be slave in your country, or be a King in another man's country, which is far better?

I am total fed up with the general situation of things, where survival is for the fittest.
Regards,
John M.C.
Re: Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? by Kenezi: 4:14pm On Feb 22, 2010
Plutocracy and foreign company rule.
Re: Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? by SkyBlue1: 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2010
Prof John:

It's been said that there are many system of governance in every given nation.
Few of these are: Democracy, Monarchy, Anarchy, etc.
But what surprises me up till now is the type of government that is being practice in Nigeria. We can not called this Monarchy, because in monarchical system of governance, one person (male/female) is at the helm of affairs dishing out rules by Legislating, executing and enforcing the laws all by one figure. Neither can we call our system Democracy, because as it's define, is a government of the people, by the people and for the people, which in practice, creates 3 arms (executives, legislatives and the enforcement) which also provides for separation of powers between the 3 arms of government.
But in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. However, it maybe, permit me to say that no one wish the existence of Anarchy, but Nigeria situation is almost like the latter.
Our Mr President is indispose and hospitalized for over 3 months now. Have we really feel his absence since then? The new Acting-whatever, is there hope of improve situation? What is happening to the mayhem at Jos? What about the 7 point agenda?
If i may ask fellow Nigerians, is it cowardliness natural gentleness that is having way in our lives.
Is it better to be slave in your country, or be a King in another man's country, which is far better?

I am total fed up with the general situation of things, where survival is for the fittest.
Regards,
John M.C.   

Instead of wasting energy typing, permit me to give not just you, but all of us on this forum a chance to actually take part in the democratic process. I was going to open a whole new thread for this but thought since this thread was about Democracy I will post the challenge here. The problem has never just been about bad leadership, but also perhaps most importantly, about bad, lazy, cowardly, lethargic followership across the nation and abroad. So let us practise a democratic exercice right here, right now, and let us see how many will actually do it instead of writing yet another essay of "the problem with Nigeria", and posting it as if we have not heard it before. Enough with the problem, what can we do about the solution is what we should be asking now.

The two links I will post below, are links that would take you to a list of all the senators and reps in the national house of assembly. The links to each member mostly contain information, including contact numbers and emails. Why don't we try and be pro active for once and stop with the pontificating. Enough of the "brilliant" and "witty" political analysis which to be honest (sorry to dissappoint) are rarely ever new or refreshing. Why don't we all contact our reps and senators sometime this week and give them a piece of our mind? Do not be insulting, let us actually try and achieve something with the phone calls or emails. Let us also keep focus on one issue, Yar Adua. I will not tell anybody what to think, but I will personally call and ask why impeachment procedures have not begun based on the fact that we are still yet to here from him, and that the backing of the legislature for Johnathan to act as president, is not necessarily constitutional and can lead to more complications. For once, let us try to be active and good citizens.

http://www.nassnig.org/senate/members.php - for senators

http://www.nassnig.org/house/members.php - for house of rep members

If you get interesting results then post them on the forum. Let us see how many people will actually take this simple challenge. I am not asking for mount everest here. Just a simple phonecall. Just simple phone calls. Let us see what we will all do.

(1) (Reply)

US Court Dismisses Biafra Suit Against Nigerian Government / Gunmen Kill Six People In Ondo State Days After Owo Church Massacre / Update On Plateau State Governorship Results (2023)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.