Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,474 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (27941 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please Help My English Is Very Bad / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Partnerbiz3: 9:30am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:
I want to improve my English.
I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.

I want to improve but don't know how.
I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.
Spoken english
NOT
English speaking...

Even the mods sef.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Lloydfather(m): 9:30am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

visit nairaland very often, make sure u read topics and makes comments, also remember to follow the likes of lala, ishilove, omekalive, sarrki, and co. Following them helps and improved me, I believe they will help u too.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Partnerbiz3: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
Oluwaseyi00:
Try downloading Quora app twill help a bit, and make English your official language I.e communicate using English language every time.
What's the hype about quora. That platform is useless.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by vivie01(f): 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
ASAMPETE1:
Contact Dame Patience Jonathan or enroll at Patience Jonathan Grammar School, Ikeja, Lagos.

Like seriously! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Oluwafemi9720: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
Stop watching Jennifer's Diary.... ;Dthank me later...
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by eodavids(m): 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
1) Read newspapers daily.

2) Read novels daily.

3) Use dictionary side by side the reading materials, so your vocabulary will improve daily.

4) Interact daily with people who speak good English and learn more from them as well as speak your best among them.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Josephamstrong1(m): 9:34am On Oct 16, 2017
kimbraa:
He has no business with people he's better than if he wants to be good in English. Unfortunately, his background is one of the major factor to be considered before friends, but obviously they're in the Yoruba speaking click. He has to change his cycle.

clique u mean?
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 16, 2017
greatnaija01:
pharisee pls tell us how your comment helped the OP.....

I was helpful but you remain a critic.

I wasn't helping the OP, you already helped him but I helped you. You can't give what you don't have, if you want to give an advise on an issue, you must be on top of that issue yourself. Yours is not a problem of speaking English but the problem of spelling. Many speak English well but can't write or spell well. Learn how to spell bro. Google commonly misspelled words, go to spelling bee competitions not as a contestant but as those who sit at the back to learn, watch movies that are correctly subtitled in English even if it is Hollywood movies and if a movie does not have a subtitle, download it. You see I am not a critic.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bigtt76(f): 9:36am On Oct 16, 2017
Why not share here for the benefit of others in the same shoes undecided

Tohsynetita1:
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by butterflyl1on: 9:36am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

OP you can start by wording your topic correctly.

It should not be "Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking.?"

It should be " Please How can I improve ON my spoken English?"

The body of your OP also has some little errors which a simple proof reading would have sorted. Sometimes take your time to read and read your typed words again so you would see your errors. Never be ashamed to ask for corrections or to ask if you spoke or typed correctly. We learn every day.

Good luck cheesy
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by hirekiller1: 9:36am On Oct 16, 2017
My own is worst I don't know how to speak english and yoruba. My parent did not teach us how to speak our tribe. Na only pidgin I sabi. Shaa i understand yoruba buh ah don't know how to speak it
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

first, get a dictionary, Then watch English movies, read English books most importantly avoid reading subtitled Yoruba movies
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 16, 2017
vivie01:

Listen to news regularly, read newspapers often, remember to pay attention to the tenses and tense constructions therein, watch English movies, let dictionary be always close to you, buy books on common mistakes in English, be speaking it and make it your primary means of communication, move in the circles of those that can correct you and don’t feel bad or embarrassed by the correction but rather thank them
let the guy read this ur post 7 times in the morning, 7 times in the afternoon and 7 times in the evening for one month pere. if his village people are not dancing shoki on top him matter, e go speak wella pass u sef. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by MxFactor: 9:38am On Oct 16, 2017
Listen to a good radio show where they speak good english, more importantly read TWO books every week and practice speaking. Use a dictionary
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Marvel1206: 9:41am On Oct 16, 2017
grodt999:

Easy, stop hanging out with Nigerians.

Am fine, instead of I am fine or I'm fine.
May I know you, instead of hi what's you name, and where are you from?

Most graduates in Nigerians are educated-illiterates, you cannot learn much from them.

BTW:
Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking = How Can I Improve My English? another mistake is using too many unnecessary words!

I get irritated by the bolded. Chai! Annoying.
Then you'll see something like
"Have tried my best"
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by mechanics(m): 9:42am On Oct 16, 2017
Read books, newspapers, read wide, check for new words in dictionary.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by AceVentura: 9:42am On Oct 16, 2017
Never too late to start reading English novels.

They'll help you a lot.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Okay....first thing is you need to stop taking yourself serious.

Second thing is to get rid of toxic friends. You need people that believe in you. If you're one of those people that doesn't believe in you, get rid of yourself.

English is overrated. It's 40% what you say and 60% how you say it.

I remember one of my lowest moment in my search for myself.

It was at a naming ceremony. A woman from church was naming her baby. As an over-grown teenager, we turned up [only that I brought my low self esteem along]. One thing led to another and we [alongside an army of teenager] were about leaving, our sunday school teachers saw us and asked where "two people we came with went". I replied and said "They have went home" grin grin grin

A part of me died that day!!!

That day I just knew it couldn't get any worse.

Instead of sulking, I continued to put myself out there. Putting myself in unfamiliar situation, taking baby steps and gradually becoming the man of my dream.

Your guess is as good as mine, my English is still not perfect but I've leaned to talk without fear or intimidation.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Abujalandlord: 9:52am On Oct 16, 2017
relocate to England
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by musicwriter(m): 9:52am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

But you don't feel embarrassed when you make mistake in Yoruba? Yet, Yoruba is your language, and moreso a better language than English. Instead you feel embarrassed when you make mistake in English which is a foreign language.

Africans need read history to understand how we became English speakers, cause when you do, you'll become ashamed of English. If you know the humiliation our ancestors passed through and the wars they waged fighting off Europeans from our lands, you'll want to be a Yoruba speaker instead..

I've always maintained, any system of education that creates people with this type of mindset is a fraud.

And nobody thinks of the other impacts it have on us all.

Buhari prefers foreign hospitals.......
We prefer foreign goods to local ones, even if the local one is better.
We prefer watching English premier league to our local teams.
The elites all prefer foreign school for their children.
E. T. C. These are all linked to your state of mind. Indeed, the purpose of education in Africa is have us behave same way.

And when I tell people slavery is still going on they exclaim conspiracy. Is it a conspiracy this OP is suffering a form of inferiority complex?

This's why we will never develop. We will never develop when we don't like anything African. We cannot develop when we want to be foreigners in our lands!!. It seems we're doomed forever.

The biggest scam ever pulled on a people is what we call education in Africa. Western education is a fraud!!.

NOTE: I'll assist anybody who wants to understand how we became English speakers in the first place, the wars our ancestors wagged across Africa fighting off European terrorists, and how we were defeated.

We didn't choose English, because we had better languages before Europeans arrived Africa. It was only after our defeat that English became our language. English became our language by force.

Should anybody need books on this, email: kemeticphilosophy@gmail

2 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by dallyemmy: 9:57am On Oct 16, 2017
Always mind your tenses, read books on English and watch good English movies!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

just watch CNN daily and give me feedback in one month
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by MrHenshaw: 10:01am On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

Maybe you relocate to UK
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Priceless200(f): 10:03am On Oct 16, 2017
1. Watch English movies, British or American movies mostly
2. Read, read, and read more and more.
3 . listen to radio (OPs with good diction) and TV (CNN)

No more no less.

Let me just say as an extra, in this regard, the effect of movies especially can never be overemphasized. You'd be marveled. though in my case it was books ( cause I rarely watched TV while growing up) I owe a lot to James Hardley Chase shaa.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Jadoskii(m): 10:03am On Oct 16, 2017
DinoP:
I woul suggest you eat isi ewu and nkwobi at least three times a day
r u normal..

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:06am On Oct 16, 2017
I find myself in disagreement with many of the responses.
Here's my advice for improving vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation.

1. As a general rule avoid American movies ; they are filled with slang . Watch British movies instead. Game of Thrones is not a bad start.

2. Read the classics and modern novels. They are too many to list you can find examples online (the writings of Soyinka and Achebe are considered classics at this point).

3. Read essays and scholarly articles. You can find examples of these on the internet and good magazines. Avoid reading Nigerian newspapers and magazines as a means of improving your English. The quality or writing across board is dismal. That said, the occasional good article does seep through the cracks and make it to the pages of Nigerian dailies. It is my experience that they are usually written by lawyers and public personalities.

4. There are two must-read books that deal with style and grammar. On Writing Well by William Zinsser and Elements of Style by William Strunk. They are compulsory reading for journalists, scholars, language enthusiasts and students around the world intent on improving their command of English. Download either them from the internet and start studying. They are both interesting and easy to read. You can download them here:

http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=6DD85C5AFC569BBABE401099886777B5 and here
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=70F5B6387E942FDA220EF069CB1FAC52

5. Keep the company of people who speak proper grammar and can teach you same. Chances are you will learn a lot more than English from them.

6. Buy or download a good dictionary - and use it.

7. Read, read, read; practice, practice, practice.

PS. As many commentators have pointed out, there is a glaring error in your title.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by drewxx88(m): 10:10am On Oct 16, 2017
chinnyonwu:

Read a novel and practice vocalizing the words as you read. I attribute my good reading, writing and speaking skills to lots and lots of Enid Blyton, Harry Potter and Heartsong books I read when growing up. Nogo dey read all dose 150naira "the return of Sister Amaka" ooo... Those ones dey reduce IQ. Conversely, avoid the novels with too much big grammar.
Famous five ,flyaway house, wishing chair, and those mini series with fairies, brownies,pixies goblins and gnomes,those books made my child hood fun...

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by FRANKOSKI(m): 10:16am On Oct 16, 2017
huh!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:16am On Oct 16, 2017
greatnaija01:
DOWNLOAD ENGLISH VOICE LANGUAGE APP.... so you can learn correct pronunciations

NEXT

DOWNLOAD lots of English movies action,comedy, drama,adventure... STOP WATCHING YORUBA STATIONS N MOVIES... SWITCH... cos its the LANGUAGE you feed that will dominate your Tongue.

ok Thank you very Much.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by FRANKOSKI(m): 10:17am On Oct 16, 2017
make friends with good people and people that speaks good English. don't date area boys.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:17am On Oct 16, 2017
Tohsynetita1:
Lekside meet me on my mail greatfullness494@gmail.com,i will give you some training, even if you are a stutter, you will be changed for good if you can be practicing them.

Ok I will inbox you.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by LeksideOLM(m): 10:21am On Oct 16, 2017
akankemi1:
Ensure you speak English all the time. Don't feel embarrassed when corrected instead take corrections in good spirit. don't watch African magic Yoruba. read more, novels, newspaper magazines etc

Ok..I will start working on that.
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Teachers Sacked For Impregnating SS3 Student In Kebbi; The Student Expelled / Is Yabatech Now A University? / Daughter Of A Vulcanizer Becomes A Graduate (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.