Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (27944 Views)

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? / Please Help My English Is Very Bad / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by KingSango(m): 12:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
I find myself in disagreement with many of the responses.
Here's my advice for improving vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation.

1. As a general rule avoid American movies ; they are filled with slang . Watch British movies instead. Game of Thrones is not a bad start.

2. Read the classics and modern novels. They are too many to list you can find examples online (the writings of Soyinka and Achebe are considered classics at this point).

3. Read Essays and scholarly articles. You can find examples of these on the internet and good magazines. Avoid reading Nigerian newspapers and magazines as a means of improving your English. The quality or writing across board is dismal. That said, the occasional good article does seep through the cracks and make it to the pages of Nigerian dailies. It is my experience that they are usually written by lawyers and public personalities.

4. There are two must-read books that deal with style and grammar. On Writing Well by William Zinsser and Elements of Style by William Strunk. They are compulsory reading for journalists, scholars, language enthusiasts and students around the world intent on improving their command of English. Download either them from the internet and start studying. They are both interesting and easy to read. You can download them here:

http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=6DD85C5AFC569BBABE401099886777B5 and here
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=70F5B6387E942FDA220EF069CB1FAC52

5. Keep the company of people who speak proper grammar and can teach you same. Chances are you will learn a lot more than English from them.

6. Buy or download a good dictionary - and use it.

7. Practice, practice, practice.

PS. As many commentators have pointed out, there is a glaring error in your title.

Tongues twisters help with diction they help because English is a language of constants where as in African languages are tonal an focus on vowels and pitch. Focus on the ones which sounds give you the most difficulty. Repeat this more often, start very very slow, increase pace only after you reach no mistakes. Ase. Love Sango
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by crisycent: 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
Read newspaper regularly. Watch/listen to news....not news in your local dialect. Learn news words every time.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bobojoshua(m): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2017
jay99:
It's obvious.. Get brighter grammar.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bobojoshua(m): 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
I find myself in disagreement with many of the responses.
Here's my advice for improving vocabulary, syntax and pronunciation.

1. As a general rule avoid American movies ; they are filled with slang . Watch British movies instead. Game of Thrones is not a bad start.

2. Read the classics and modern novels. They are too many to list you can find examples online (the writings of Soyinka and Achebe are considered classics at this point).

3. Read Essays and scholarly articles. You can find examples of these on the internet and good magazines. Avoid reading Nigerian newspapers and magazines as a means of improving your English. The quality or writing across board is dismal. That said, the occasional good article does seep through the cracks and make it to the pages of Nigerian dailies. It is my experience that they are usually written by lawyers and public personalities.

4. There are two must-read books that deal with style and grammar. On Writing Well by William Zinsser and Elements of Style by William Strunk. They are compulsory reading for journalists, scholars, language enthusiasts and students around the world intent on improving their command of English. Download either them from the internet and start studying. They are both interesting and easy to read. You can download them here:

http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=6DD85C5AFC569BBABE401099886777B5 and here
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=70F5B6387E942FDA220EF069CB1FAC52

5. Keep the company of people who speak proper grammar and can teach you same. Chances are you will learn a lot more than English from them.

6. Buy or download a good dictionary - and use it.

7. Practice, practice, practice.

PS. As many commentators have pointed out, there is a glaring error in your title.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by bobojoshua(m): 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ten06:

Pls click on the link below and download this book, it will help you greatly
://www.pdfdrive.net/spoken-english-learned-quickly-e23407135.html#.WeR6SLfLAGU.gmail
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by pabostt: 1:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
One of the fastest ways to improve is to associate with people that speak good and correct English. Learning by association has proven to be effective
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Laredojohn(m): 1:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
By reading books, watching movies , interacting with people who speak well
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:

I think it's Tenses,using can,could,have,has,had,May,might,shall,should,will,would..and constructing Good sentences,those are the areas am Having problem.
when improving on your English the variations in the language may leave you confused in that you may be trying to improve on ur British English with American English. Note that both countries speak the same language but slightly differently. Those aforementioned tenses may be used differently here than they would in England.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by oluwashedy: 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
akankemi1:
Ensure you speak English all the time. Don't feel embarrassed when corrected instead take corrections in good spirit. don't watch African magic Yoruba. read more, novels, newspaper magazines etc
Exactly what I'm doing. These days pple complain that I speak too much grammar. My one time ex even accused me of being pompous unknown to her that am in a bid to be perfect in the use of English. I don't give a Bleep!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
tamethem:
Get a british visa and wen u get there dont mingle with any african stay among the whites speaking and working in their environment stay there for a year or two. When u come back yould come and dash me iphone 8. grin
Africans don't speak English in the UK?
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by iammolise(m): 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
Buy a book by abel olaniyi ''standard english'' ... It'll help
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by speed99: 2:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
for movie series, I think the Elementary and Boston Legal can be of good help in improving spoken English
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
you don't need it...... pidgin is going international........ very soon it will be our official language
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by idris4r83(m): 2:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
grodt999:

Easy, stop hanging out with Nigerians.

Am fine, instead of I am fine or I'm fine.
May I know you, instead of hi what's you name, and where are you from?

Most graduates in Nigerians are educated-illiterates, you cannot learn much from them.

BTW:
Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking = How Can I Improve My English? another mistake is using too many unnecessary words!

best comment on this thread. I agree with u 1000%.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by illustriousson(m): 3:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
MADUBI:

I wasn't helping the OP, you already helped him but I helped you. You can't give what you don't have, if you want to give an advise on an issue, you must be on top of that issue yourself. Yours is not a problem of speaking English but the problem of spelling. Many speak English well but can't write or spell well. Learn how to spell bro. Google commonly misspelled words, go to spelling bee competitions not as a contestant but as those who sit at the back to learn, watch movies that are correctly subtitled in English even if it is Hollywood movies and if a movie does not have a subtitle, download it. You see I am not a critic.
most people use the words ADVISE and ADVICE interchangeably and you have just made the same error,it should have been give an ADVICE on an issue,not give an ADVISE on an issue,ADVICE is a noun and ADVISE is a verb,learn to use verbs and nouns correctly too sir
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
illustriousson:
most people use the words ADVISE and ADVICE interchangeably and you have just made the same error,it should have been give an ADVICE on an issue,not give an ADVISE on an issue,ADVICE is a noun and ADVISE is a verb,learn to use verbs and nouns correctly too sir

Hehehehe, I knew someone will say that, the error was intentional, I was waiting for the person I quoted to detect it for the flow to continue. So thank you very much and go back to your shell. You can doubt me all you want, that's your business. Also learn to write or type well, there should be a space after every words and punctuations, you don't write like a kid, you are a grown up, at least I hope so.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by marwanafrica: 3:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
go and watch preaching of Prophet philip Banda, u go sabi english without delay
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by illustriousson(m): 6:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
MADUBI:

Hehehehe, I knew someone will say that, the error was intentional, I was waiting for the person I quoted to detect it for the flow to continue. So thank you very much and go back to your shell. You can doubt me all you want, that's your business. Also learn to write or type well, there should be a space after every words and punctuations, you don't write like a kid, you are a grown up, at least I hope so.
no one knows it all,thanks for calling my attention to my punctuation error,you may now go back to your shell too
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
illustriousson:
no one knows it all,thanks for calling my attention to my punctuation error,you may now go back to your shell too

Kikikikikiki, you are angry, no vex abeg. grin
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
iRyan:
Africans don't speak English in the UK?

They do but what i mean is if outside the nation if you find yourself among your tribes ppl there is every tendency theyld want to talk to u in your native tongue but in an area u cant find your ppl yould be forced to speak english and the more u speak any language the better u become at it.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Lawsimon(m): 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2017
modelmike7:
You just took the very first step.....
exactly bro, i.e. identifying the problem.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
Lawsimon:
exactly bro, i.e. identifying the problem.
exactly my point bro.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by OmoDavido(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
profmiganigal:

Lolzzzzzz.........afonja.....

Just try and correct ur pronunciation of H and I

Is high not igh......

Thank you.....

Or if proudness will let u people

Consult Dr. Chris Imafidon

Flat head.

Correct yourself before correcting others. It is Di're'ctor and not Di'le'ctor.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
OmoDavido:

Flat head.

Correct yourself before correcting others. It is Di're'ctor and not Di'le'ctor.

Thats the problem with a yoruba man.......he can never accept his mistake..........

Or in ur little mind u are talking to an igboman.....

Brood of chameleons
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by OmoDavido(m): 10:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
profmiganigal:

Thats the problem with a yoruba man.......he can never accept his mistake..........

Or in ur little mind u are talking to an igboman.....

Brood of chameleons

Trash!

Why must you be tribal with your comments and why are you been cocky? I just simply pointed out an error the way you did and you took it personal.

P*verty envel*ped bast*rd!
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
OmoDavido:

Trash!

Why must you be tribal with your comments and why are you been cocky? I just simply pointed out an error the way you did and you took it personal.

P*verty envel*ped bast*rd!

And i think u should refer the issue of poverty enveloped bastard to yorubas......coz they are very dirty set of people.........cooking amala with toilet broom......ehhhhh......spits.....

Just cover ur dirty face in shame.....

Products of genital misconception
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by OmoDavido(m): 11:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
profmiganigal:

And i think u should refer the issue of poverty enveloped bastard to yorubas......coz they are very dirty set of people.........cooking amala with toilet broom......ehhhhh......spits.....

Just cover ur dirty face in shame.....

Products of genital misconception

God be with you.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 16, 2017
OmoDavido:

God be with you.

Ehhhh........lolzzzzz......

U people always pick quarrel and after u start acting as if the other is intimidatiing u or insulting una........

Smh
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by arnold123: 11:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
LeksideOLM:
I want to improve my English.
I do speak good english but makes little mistakes which embarrass me sometimes.

I want to improve but don't know how.
I was brought up with Pure Yoruba Dialect.
sucka flenty toto *buhari voice
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by GoldenChiddy: 8:16am On Oct 17, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted within the igbo-British community. Have a look at the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSSJKUIZ98
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by OvaSabi1(f): 5:04pm On Oct 19, 2017
Partnerbiz3:

What's the hype about quora. That platform is useless.

Quora is the most advanced Q&A forum at the moment. It's like nairaland but with people that have a higher IQ, no offence meant. You will easily get the best life hacks, be inspired by the most unusual stories and get answers to the weirdest, most mind boggling questions.
Re: Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. by Partnerbiz3: 5:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
OvaSabi1:

Quora is the most advanced Q&A forum at the moment. It's like nairaland but with people that have a higher IQ, no offence meant. You will easily get the best life hacks, be inspired by the most unusual stories and get answers to the weirdest, most mind boggling questions.
Nairaland is streets ahead of quora and comparing both is outright disingenuous.
Quora is fraught with inanities and trivialities.

I will discount your IQ claim as puerile as it is unfounded.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Daughter Of A Vulcanizer Becomes A Graduate (photos) / Is Yabatech Now A University? / #WinterInOAU: Tension Doused As Police Nab Notorious Cultists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.