Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 (5276 Views)

Didier Drogba Signs For Shanghai Shenhua / Real Madrid's Fixture For The Year 2009/2010 / Adebayor Named African Player Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 11:51pm On Mar 13, 2010
Cmiller:

No African player achieved anytin mo dan eto'o bt bein it as it wz in da beginin it wz politically done again praisin d worst in place of da best,it's true our own okocha wz stripped off d award mo dan twice so lets al get used 2 d P.D.P tin in CAF.

I THINK SOMETIMES some of us comment with our Premiership rivalry instead of opening our eyes to the truth

if Et0' is that good why was he exchanged for FREE yes FREEEEEEEEEE, it is so annoying that he was sold for free and ibrahimovic his successor was paid a huge ransom for. can Eto supporters explain to me why??

Eto knows if he leaves barca he would fade thats why he did not accept the offer to man city to prove himself. let him go there and die lie Robinho did. u think English premier league is for boys go and try ur luck. i dont think Eto has outperform Obafemi when obafemi  was in Inter, same level same standard.

if the award was giving to none attackers then i would have recommended for the award to be giving to Essien, the man that does all the dirty midfield jobs, thats why he is prone to injury. but well his injury is helping mikel develop every day so we can say one man's illness is another man's Joy

Eto have been Good but for this last season Drog was better. u dont have to play for top clubs to be the best footballer of the year. just be good and u would be noticed
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 13, 2010
A-40:

@Dr Kit
Form is temporal and class is permanent. Oko iya Drogba ni Eto'o je! In terms of achievement for club & country, Eto'o has achieved what Drogba would struggle to do if he was given a brand new career. Specie get level won kin se egbe

just like Kanu is the most decorated Nigerian Footballer, if u compare him to JAY JAY we both know they both have their special skills

Eto have in no doubt been blessed from the beginning of his career till now he has been playing for good clubs with good team mates.

drog is a struggling african fighting daily to be noticed and to get by. if positions where reverse do u think Eto would have survived up till now No way!!!!

if Drog started his career as good as Etoo maybe he would be worlds best by now. dont get me wrong Eto is highly skillfull but it is time to encourage someone else .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by A40(m): 12:09am On Mar 14, 2010
You Chelsea fans don come again what planet where you guys in when Drogba was shining in Mallorca? How many good players did they have there by the way do y'all know how hard it is to lead the line in a big club in a racist country like Spain? How about for country? Why is it that Eto'o has led his country to Olympic glory and African titles while Drogba with arguably the best team in Africa can't do squat! Abeg make una dey respect elders. Eto'o is a General and Drogba a Colonel
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by ademolathe(m): 12:32am On Mar 14, 2010
But in terms of decision taking and general administration,which body is better - CAF or NFF ? grin
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by DrKitaun(m): 12:59am On Mar 14, 2010
DD anyday!

Motivation anybody?
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by A40(m): 1:54am On Mar 14, 2010
So its Eto'o that doesn't motivate? Haha im wan motivate pass Pastor Sam Adeyemi ni? We can argue who is the better motivational speaker in the career and religious section but when it comes to goals and achievements Drogba remains Eto'o's ho
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by abayorme: 6:55am On Mar 14, 2010
For those that dont know. A person wins a trebble or 6 does not make him the right man to win the crown. What matters is his personal performance as a member of the winning team. If u think Eto deserved to win it because he was instrumental to the trebble and even more instrumnental in his team than Drogba, then he rightly deserved it, but if you hinge ur argument on team success alone, then ur not serious
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by abayorme: 7:04am On Mar 14, 2010
I dont know why the world continues to ignore Drogba, Hes arguably the best striker on the plannet but i guess because of his color, he doesnt deserve the world footballer of the year (at least 1st or 2nd runner up)This guy has been consistent season after season. I am a man U fan. Everyone is shouting ROONEY now. he has 23goals. Drogba was missing for a part of the season for the natons cut and yet roney does not have too many goals more than him. he may even cach up. thats is a striker with pure class. Abeg lest appreciate our own
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 14, 2010
abayorme:

I dont know why the world continues to ignore Drogba, Hes arguably the best striker on the plannet but i guess because of his color, he doesnt deserve the world footballer of the year (at least 1st or 2nd runner up)This guy has been consistent season after season. I am a man U fan. Everyone is shouting ROONEY now. he has 23goals. Drogba was missing for a part of the season for the natons cut and yet roney does not have too many goals more than him. he may even cach up. thats is a striker with pure class. Abeg lest appreciate our own
What are you saying,dumbo?
Can Drogba honestly say at the moment he's the best striker in the world?
And if you think he deserves whatever award you think he does,try justifying it with true, real-life facts instead ofthe beer-parlour analysis you seem to specialize in.And try to post intelligbly so that we can decipher what you're actually saying.
Rooney has 30 goals for the season.
abayorme:

For those that dont know. A person wins a trebble or 6 does not make him the right man to win the crown. What matters is his personal performance as a member of the winning team. If u think Eto deserved to win it because he was instrumental to the trebble and even more instrumnental in his team than Drogba, then he rightly deserved it, but if you hinge your argument on team success alone, then your not serious
A person that wins a treble is more qualified than most to win an individual award.Especially when they score 30+ in a season.
Compare 36 goals Eto'o had to 14 of Drogba last season,which by the way,is the basis for comparison,in case you haven't noticed.Tell me if he wasn't instrumental enough to that treble-winning team.
Argue like someone who deserves to be on NL,not some street urchin.I don't believe you're a United fan.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by slimshay(m): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2010
First off, when will CAF learn to do stuff the sensible way. Pray what is sensible in givng a fottballer of the year award in March? When other associations have forgotten they held an award?

It is easier for people to support the choice of Drogba now because he is presently on a good form. If as at present he was having a bad patch there will be no defense at all. Cos truth is what exactly did he do last year? He won an FA cup. Eto'o was on a treble, and for people who say he didnt contribute, please tell me you are joking. Sincerely how does someone be a major player in a record breaking team in terms of trophies won and cant upstage someone who only cld settle for the FA cup?

Somone was telling me yesterday it was more about what they did on the continent. Please can someone tell me what Drogba has achieved on the continent that Eto'o hasnt?

Well what exactly can i say, if Abourtrika after all his exploits missed out to Adebayor then i guess this also sounds logical, no?
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 14, 2010
slimshay:

First off, when will CAF learn to do stuff the sensible way. Pray what is sensible in givng a fottballer of the year award in March? When other associations have forgotten they held an award?
It is easier for people to support the choice of Drogba now because he is presently on a good form. If as at present he was having a bad patch there will be no defense at all. Cos truth is what exactly did he do last year? He won an FA cup. Eto'o was on a treble, and for people who say he didnt contribute, please tell me you are joking. Sincerely how does someone be a major player in a record breaking team in terms of trophies won and cant upstage someone who only cld settle for the FA cup?
Somone was telling me yesterday it was more about what they did on the continent. Please can someone tell me what Drogba has achieved on the continent that Eto'o hasnt?
Well what exactly can i say, if Abourtrika after all his exploits missed out to Adebayor then i guess this also sounds logical, no?
Points that the Pro-Drogba camp fail to convince us on.They say he's more IMPACTIVE (whatever that means) in his club.I laugh in Ibibio.
Nice post.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Ibime(m): 1:59pm On Mar 14, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

DD anyday!

Motivation anybody?

You know you are talking nonsense when you start talking about SPIRITUAL things.

What has DD motivated his team to win?

Since DD became a big player at Chelsea (2006/2007), Chelsea have only won 2 FA Cups. In DD's first 2 seasons (when he was a peripheral figure), Chelsea won almost everything.

UCL final, Eto made Vidic look like a mug.

UCL final, Vidic made DD look like a mug.

Which of these has anything to do with motivation?

Please, please, please, DD can only be compared to Eto in the irrational realm of the spiritual, hence the reference to such intangibles as MOTIVATION.

Like I've said DD can NEVER play for Barca cos he cannot play touch football. If Eto achieved anything at Barca, its because he has the technique to play there. . . something Drogba can NEVER have in his life. . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by jalether(m): 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2010
Heck, even Yaya Toure deserve the award more than Drogba, the Drog supporters union are still unable to tell us what drogba did last

season? I will ask again, what did Drog achieve last season that Eto'o didn't surpass?. Is it goal scoring, assist, trophies undecided, still waiting . . . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by automantle: 6:14pm On Mar 14, 2010
Drogba's best is yet to come. Murinho discovered him and can always cover himas you saw during chealsea and inter first leg.
let's hope Murinho can do it again.
i love Chelsea but i love murinho more!
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by DrKitaun(m): 6:36pm On Mar 14, 2010
DD outdid Etoo jin terms of performance at national and international levels, consistency of performance, sports achievements, influence, charisma and popularity - CAF achievements
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Sauron1: 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

DD outdid Etoo jin terms of performance at national and international levels, consistency of performance, sports achievements, influence, charisma and popularity - CAF achievements

Manucho outdid Drogba in 2008 and he won nowt. . . . .
Letz be honest. . . .Etoo deserved it more than Drogba in 2009. . . .Etoo won the TREBLE, Drogba won a disgusting FA cup.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by DrKitaun(m): 7:25pm On Mar 14, 2010
Gbenga

Manucho outdid DD ?

FA cup disgusting?

I rest my case!
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Sauron1: 7:29pm On Mar 14, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Gbenga
Manucho outdid DD ?

Manucho made Drogba look like a pub striker in the 2008 Nations Cup.

FA cup disgusting?

Samuel Etoo won the TREBLE with Barcelona before joining Inter.
Last season, Etoo scored 30 La Liga goals and scored 6 in the CL. . .

CAF probably got tired of Etoo winning it again and then gave it to Drogba. . . . .Synonymous to Giggsy winning the PFA last season when Cristiano was streets ahead of Giggsy.

I rest my case!

U have no case to rest, Jimi. grin
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by chic2pimp(m): 7:49pm On Mar 14, 2010
I guess CAF is only repaying Drogba for robbing him of the Award in the year Kanoute won undecided.

The Most crazy fact I've heard about Eto'o is that he has scored the first goal in every Finals he has played in shocked shocked. Now compare his record in finals to that of Henry who has played in 8 finals and is yet to score a goal
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dayokanu(m): 1:23am On Mar 15, 2010

What achievement at National level and international level did Drogba perform better than Samuel Etoo?

The Most crazy fact I've heard about Eto'o is that he has scored the first goal in every Finals he has played in . Now compare his record in finals to that of Henry who has played in 8 finals and is yet to score a goal

Nations cup final 2008 Egypt 1 Cameroun 0 Etoo did not score.

Maybe you mean CL final
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by rasputinn(m): 7:38am On Mar 15, 2010
Until the present leadership of CAF gives way or is shoved aside,African football will be in double-step reverse gear
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by galatico(m): 1:20pm On Mar 15, 2010
I would have given Samuel Eto' Fils the award!!!
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dyabman(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2010
Ibime:

You know you are talking nonsense when you start talking about SPIRITUAL things.

What has DD motivated his team to win?

Since DD became a big player at Chelsea (2006/2007), Chelsea have only won 2 FA Cups. In DD's first 2 seasons (when he was a peripheral figure), Chelsea won almost everything.

UCL final, Eto made Vidic look like a mug.

UCL final, Vidic made DD look like a mug.

Which of these has anything to do with motivation?

Please, please, please, DD can only be compared to Eto in the irrational realm of the spiritual, hence the reference to such intangibles as MOTIVATION.

Like I've said DD can NEVER play for Barca cos he cannot play touch football. If Eto achieved anything at Barca, its because he has the technique to play there. . . something Drogba can NEVER have in his life. . .

Explain to me why is eto'o under-performing in Inter where Ibramovich has shone?

JT Made Eto'o look like mug last season both legs
DD made Puyol look like Mug 07/08

So DD is more Spiritual than Eto'o on the field of play, wow! never noticed that shocked tongue
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dyabman(m): 3:53pm On Mar 15, 2010
Giving the award to Drogba is not bad , after all it wasn't presented to injured Essien. . .
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 15, 2010
dyabman:

Explain to me why is eto'o under-performing in Inter where Ibramovich has shone?

JT Made Eto'o look like mug last season both legs
DD made Puyol look like Mug 07/08

So DD is more Spiritual than Eto'o on the field of play, wow! never noticed that shocked tongue
Why are you arguing like a muppet?
Is the award based on a single game or a season?
Are you a comedian?
Do you forget the treble titles that he won along with 36 goals?
Man,if you ain't got nothinkg to say,shut you a$% up.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by dayokanu(m): 10:50pm On Mar 15, 2010
Former Bayern Munich and Ghana defender Samuel Osei Kuffour is shocked the Confederation of African Football gave the 2009 Best African Footballer award to Ivorian Didier Drogba instead of Samuel Eto’o.

He told Citi FM in Ghana: “So far as 2009 is concerned, Samuel Eto’o deserved to win it because he won the Champions League and even scored a goal in the final.

“What else do you want from him?

“I was even thinking about Yaya Toure winning it because he won about six trophies in the season.”

Kuffour, who similarly lost the African award to Senegal’s El Hadji Diouf in 2002 noted: “I don’t know if they [those who voted] were thinking about this season or what.”

The Chelsea striker edged out Eto’o and team-mate Michael Essien according to the votes by heads of 43 national team coaches in Africa.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2010/03/15/1834248/samuel-etoo-should-have-been-2009-best-african-footballer-former-
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by ritchboy(m): 11:49pm On Mar 15, 2010
Some of the comments here must have been made by lunatics.

Drogba is easily the most overrated striker on earth as we speak and people are chatting gibberish. If Drogba ever dares to lace Etoo's training boots, he should be beheaded with a blunt screw-driver! cheesy
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by DrKitaun(m): 12:59am On Mar 16, 2010
Drogba is arguably the most consistent striker we have had apart from Etoo, Okocha lost to Hadji and Etoo on seperate occasions, did the heavens fall?

The coaches voted him in, even Nigeria's top vote went to DD, in footie I have seen stranger awards! Kuffour himself didnt kill anyone on Diouf being 'dashed' the award, no?
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 16, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Drogba is arguably the most consistent striker we have had apart from Etoo, Okocha lost to Hadji and Etoo on seperate occasions, did the heavens fall?

The coaches voted him in, even Nigeria's top vote went to DD, in footie I have seen stranger awards! Kuffour himself didnt kill anyone on Diouf being 'dashed' the award, no?
Oh,so it's now an issue of live and let live.
It's no longer about being impactful.
The way people flip-flop is amazing.
The question is: does Drogba deserve to win it?
Awaiting answers.
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by DrKitaun(m): 11:05am On Mar 16, 2010
Drogba= Chelsea

Etoo= Barca, NOT!!!

Impact!

What places Gerrard ahead of others ?

Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol are even more influential than Etoo in d Barca setup.

At national team level, no one spurs on his team more!

In Cameroun, Kameni, Song and Djemba Djemba all shyte on Etoo in terms of inspiring the Lions LOL
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by Ibime(m): 11:39am On Mar 16, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

In Cameroun, Kameni, Song and Djemba Djemba all shyte on Etoo in terms of inspiring the Lions LOL

Djemba Djemba?

Dr Kit, what are you smoking this morning? grin grin grin
Re: Drogba named African Player of the Year 2009 by khanye(m): 11:45am On Mar 16, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Drogba= Chelsea

Etoo= Barca, NOT!!!

Impact!

What places Gerrard ahead of others ?

Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol are even more influential than Etoo in d Barca setup.

At national team level, no one spurs on his team more!

In Cameroun, Kameni, Song and Djemba Djemba all  shyte on Etoo in terms of inspiring the Lions LOL

Are u okay?
Eto is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the African Nations Cup with 18 goals.
He has won 2 nations cup, 1 olympic gold medal and so on
Eto s.hits on Drogba anyday!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Happened To Manchester United? / Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1-1 Sunday 21 September 2:00pm / Manchester United Vs Reading (1 - 0) on 16th March 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.