Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. (83812 Views)

University Students,gist Us Your Night Class Experience / Opinion: It Is Wrong To Reward A Lady Who Stuck With You When You Were Poor / Fun Memes For Your Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by UncleSnr(m): 11:50am On Nov 16, 2017
Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong? Well, I didn’t know it until today, and I got to know with the help of a friend, Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall. I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help you, my readers know about it too.

Here is it, as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is non of your business’

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is non of your business’ I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate with the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “how was your night shift duty?” “how is your health during the night hours?”
Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person. No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm. Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and evasive again. By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be; “Did you have a good night sleep?” or “Did you sleep well?”

Meanwhile, good morning friends, how was your night?

Good Read: Funny Designs that Turned out to be Disastrous Looking

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as transliteration, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 7years ago.
I suspect, some ‘oversabi wannabe’ heard it on a music video somewhere and wanted to form posh or as my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals. It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths to May occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night. Is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, ekaro– good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada Leji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.

Source

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by UncleSnr(m): 11:51am On Nov 16, 2017
Lalasticlala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by hahn(m): 12:07pm On Nov 16, 2017
I swear that question pisses me off! angry

9 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by rawpadgin(m): 12:48pm On Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for sharing

So, op how was your night tongue

18 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by heayey(m): 1:29pm On Nov 16, 2017
noted!
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2017
rawpadgin:
Thanks for sharing

lol

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Obainoneandonly(m): 1:33pm On Nov 16, 2017
very educative and informative.i use those words every fucking day,247 and d person at d other end would say "fine".
it sure will change from 2mao.thanks to you

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by UncleSnr(m): 1:51pm On Nov 16, 2017
rawpadgin:
Thanks for sharing

none of your business!

4 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2017
Very educative.
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by mu2sa2: 3:57pm On Nov 16, 2017
Nigerians come up with all sorts of nonsense like wishing someone "happy New month".

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Learnstuffs: 3:59pm On Nov 16, 2017
And I have been using this lame question all my life grin
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Sapiosexuality(m): 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2017
IamZod:
Very educative.
How is it very educative? What culture interpreted it that way and why should we buy such?

10 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Cuteamigo1(m): 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2017
tongue this is bullshit. i dont see anything wrong with this question because it can be an enquiry of how your slept.

6 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Brugo(m): 4:43pm On Nov 16, 2017
About time...
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Blonchilli(m): 4:49pm On Nov 16, 2017
I've read something like this before. Nigeria always learning irrelevant things. 'Happy New month', 'your month of unlimited breakthrough' it's just a new day or start of another month that's on the calender and no success won't come overnight unless you've laid the basic foundation for it. I'll stop asking people 'How was your night'.
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by tosyne2much(m): 4:58pm On Nov 16, 2017
"How was your night" has come to stay in Nigeria and not even Google can stop people from asking this kweshion
. Abeg make we leave matter for LAWMA jawe

OP, how was your night?

7 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by STPEACE10: 5:07pm On Nov 16, 2017
what of "How was your day?", is it wrong too?
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by HelenBee(f): 5:31pm On Nov 16, 2017
I only ask 'Hope you slept well'

4 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 16, 2017
like English my mother language lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by kingphilip(m): 6:13pm On Nov 16, 2017
Good say no be how was your night I de use

Na how your night

Both of them no be the same thing tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by sonofanarchy(m): 6:42pm On Nov 16, 2017
so how was your night sleep
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by MrHighSea: 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2017
Thanks Op
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Chommieblaq(f): 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
There's nothing wrong with how was your night.
One of the interpretation can also mean "hope you had a sound sleep".

If something is wrong with asking how was your night, then something is also wrong with these; "how was your day", "how's school" and many others

3 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Phaysal: 7:12pm On Nov 16, 2017
Ahh cool but last last u try oh... I was blowing dis kind of English thinking dat am a pro.. thank you sir God bless u
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Gofwane(m): 7:12pm On Nov 16, 2017
tosyne2much:
"How was your night" has come to stay in Nigeria and not even Google can stop people from asking this kweshion
. Abeg make we leave matter for LAWMA jawe

OP, how was your night?
yeah hommie, that kwesion has come to stay in Nigeria forever. You can even say it to the president and he'll see you as a very caring citizen.
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Donald3d(m): 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2017
Saw this somewhere ,British people get wahala . You can just say "hope you had a good night rest"
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by cassidy1996(m): 7:45pm On Nov 16, 2017
Cuteamigo1:
tongue this is bullshit. i dont see anything wrong with this question because it can be an enquiry of how your slept.
you dey mind dem

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2017
Did you sleep good? should have been better. grin

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by Darkseid(m): 8:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
The way I take hate hate that question eh. The one I've stopped replying for now is 'happy new month'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by deafeyez: 8:06pm On Nov 16, 2017
,This is absolutely nonsense. That question has so many meanings. If I ask u how was your, tell me it was fine, or it was horrible. Simple.
Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by SunFlow(m): 8:26pm On Nov 16, 2017
deafeyez:
,This is absolutely nonsense. That question has so many meanings.
If I ask u how was your, tell me it was fine, or it was horrible. Simple.

Little wonders WAEC gave you Resit Medal of honor. Simple correction, u can't apply.

Meanwhile, how was your night?

3 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Ask “how Was Your Night?” – Here’s Why. by paul6k: 8:33pm On Nov 16, 2017
this is naija so I won't stop using it, I don't care what the British think about it!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: This Guy Proposed To His Girl In Shoprite, Ikeja Lagos / Woman Referred To As The Indian Kim Kardashian. Her Body Is Unbelievable (Photo) / How I Got Duped With My Money,time,and Makeup!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.