Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety (6402 Views)

Cowardice: Police, Others Scamper For Safety As Tyre Explodes In Ikeja, Lagos / Patience's Visit - Port-Harcourt Residents Groan Under Security Siege / Multiple Explosions In Kano, As People Scamper For Safety. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by kosovo(m): 7:33am On Mar 25, 2010
MANY residents of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, on Wednesday, scampered for cover, following an afternoon rainfall which many feared was the rumoured acid rain.

There were speculations that the rain, which would be preceded by hazy weather condition, would cause skin cancer.

NAN reported that Port Harcourt residents had been experiencing hazy weather conditions since March 21.

As a result, many residents scurried to take cover when the rain, which lasted for about 20 minutes, began on Wednesday at around 4.05 p.m.

An orange seller, Mrs Nancy Udoh, initially abandoned her two children as she ran for cover but rushed back promptly to carry them to “safety.”

Ms Claris Azuatalam, another resident, told NAN that she was indoor when she noticed signs of the rain.

“Prevention, they say, is better than cure. I decided that the best thing to do was to remain indoor until the rain stopped,” she said.

For Mercy Azuka, the rationale behind her decision to avoid the rain was due to the raging controversies about the authenticity of the acid rain predictions.

“Considering the assumption that if one is beaten by the rain, he or she would develop skin cancer, I had to run to a shop for shelter when the rain began to fall,” she said.

NAN, however, reported that salty particles were noticed on the bodies of vehicles after the rainfall.

However, Mr Umesi Emenike, the zonal coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said his agency received no information about the acid rain.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Rita Abbey, told NAN that there was no need to panic.

More!
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by DeepSoul(f): 10:23am On Mar 25, 2010
Very funny. There was nothing acidic about that rain joooh!

It was just very dirty, thats all!

Nigerians like to dramatize everything
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by tallutchyahoocom: 11:30am On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain cld b real.Climate change is evident.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:41am On Mar 25, 2010
ignorance is a disease! grin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by otokx(m): 12:00pm On Mar 25, 2010
The rain was so dirty but i still took cover.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by safeact(m): 12:00pm On Mar 25, 2010
When we say u should study science, u say na art. U see what ignorant can do even d so called learned gentlemen. Sciences rule d world. Excuse me pass jare.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by dominique(f): 12:07pm On Mar 25, 2010
didn't anybody test the water for acidity abi they no get ph or litmus paper in p/h?

safeact:

When we say u should study science, u say na art. U see what ignorant can do even d so called learned gentlemen. Sciences rule d world. Excuse me pass jare.

don't mind them jor, acid rain ko, acid snow ni tongue
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by sayso: 12:10pm On Mar 25, 2010
The little rain drops made so many cars look dirty and what about those patchy white stains on cars?still very funny though.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Seun(m): 12:11pm On Mar 25, 2010
Any pictures?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain. . .
The rain was dirty. . .but please . . .it definitely wasn't acid rain.
The rumour has been going on for the past few days. . .it's silly sha,but one couldn't help laughing.Trully,ignorance is a disease.Even then,this is basic integrated science(JS1-3) where I believe everyone did the subject.And if you attended a proper secondary school,you wouldn't be fazed about it:no need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.
I heard in Mile one market, people were scampering for cover like the apocalypse was happening.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by sayso: 12:22pm On Mar 25, 2010
@seun so many have cleaned up theirs,very difficult to get good pictures now
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Livvvvy(f): 12:27pm On Mar 25, 2010
I wonder why this news is so new and strange. We have had rain falling, and afterward you find dust particles of it on your car and roof top. This has been happening since time memorial and no body has ever raised an alarm about it until now. Na wa for who generated this news.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 25, 2010
Don't worry, I will remove the acid in that rain for you all ok?.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by 1Emmy: 12:46pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain is Real, and it is inevitable to geographical areas like Port Harcourt due to gas flaring. So if one tried to shield oneself, please don't look at the person as a fool. If the rain is very dirty it means that there could be some acidic content however, as an environmentalist I can't just conclude unless i take a sample to laboratory. Before that, run to avoid a dirty rain in areas of high vol of gas flaring because you are not sure of its contents
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by bisiaet: 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2010
This acid rain maniac that is causing grip and tension please dear poster is there anything called acid rain anywhereand where has such rain ever fell before? pKPIs this is not for anybody to attack me I just want to know because I have no better idea about what it means and deos it really exist.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by bisiaet: 12:56pm On Mar 25, 2010
This acid rain maniac that is causing grip and tension please dear poster is there anything called acid rain anywhereand where has such rain ever fell before? Pls this is not for anybody to attack me I just want to know because I have no better idea about what it means and deos it really exist.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by amf(f): 1:05pm On Mar 25, 2010
Its so suprising. I heard the rumuor but i did not know that rain fell yesterday. Its like it fell in some place
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Chongaiman: 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2010
Sure, acid rain is a real phenomenon. It occurs when rain falls in an atmosphere with a high carbon dioxide content. The mixture is a very weak acid which does no appreciable harm even to the human skin (if any at all). If acid rains were that corrosive, the Chinese and Indians would be the most noticeable victims due to the high levels of pollution in their atmosphere as a result of industrialization. Truly, 'my people perish because they lack knowledge.'
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by otokx(m): 1:18pm On Mar 25, 2010
The rain did not fall in every area.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by agathamari(f): 1:20pm On Mar 25, 2010
5 min of research will disprove this entire hoax.  NASA has nothing to do with weather, that would be NOAA.  acid rain has no visable diffrence from regular rain.  man made acid rain has been falling for 30 years now- naturaly occuring acid rain (caused by fires and volcanos) for millions of years.  you cannot predict when you will get acid rain or regular rain, can only be determined by testing water samples after it rains.   acid rain is nothing more than water with a lower PH then distilled water.  a tomato contains more acid for crying out loud.  did any of you go to Jr High school?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by akwaowoudo(m): 1:22pm On Mar 25, 2010
Illiteracy is a cog in the wheel.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by MsTom(f): 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2010
Chongaiman:

Sure, acid rain is a real phenomenon. It occurs when rain falls in an atmosphere with a high carbon dioxide content. The mixture is a very weak acid which does no appreciable harm even to the human skin (if any at all). If acid rains were that corrosive, the Chinese and Indians would be the most noticeable victims due to the high levels of pollution in their atmosphere as a result of industrialization. Truly, 'my people perish because they lack knowledge.'

True. To add to your point, people should look for the source and deal with it as acid rain shows high level of industrial polution, fossil burning or decaying vegetation in the area. Even the smoke from exhaust pipes from buses can be a source. The source of the acid rain is what is harmful as such gases can cause repiratory problems and headaches and other problems.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by ichommy(m): 1:31pm On Mar 25, 2010
3H2SO4 + Fe ---> Fe2(SO4)3 + H2

3H2SO4 + 2Fe ---> Fe2(SO4)3 + 3H2

Na2CO3 + HCl ---> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

Na2CO3 + 2HCl ---> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

grin I LAUGH In Port Harcourt

1 Like

Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Suntemi(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain ko base rain ni e don dey fall here in Ikeja in Lagos infact I go use am drink Garri make I see how it taste with Eja didin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by kenbd: 1:42pm On Mar 25, 2010
Acid rain don dey rain for ogba area of lagos,every body don take cover.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by lysaa(f): 1:44pm On Mar 25, 2010
agathamari:

5 min of research will disprove this entire hoax. NASA has nothing to do with weather, that would be NOAA. acid rain has no visable diffrence from regular rain. man made acid rain has been falling for 30 years now- naturaly occuring acid rain (caused by fires and volcanos) for millions of years. you cannot predict when you will get acid rain or regular rain, can only be determined by testing water samples after it rains. acid rain is nothing more than water with a lower PH then distilled water. a tomato contains more acid for crying out loud. did any of you go to Jr High school?
it burnt my skin the last time i tried it on as facial mask. sad

Do u guys blame these ppl? There was a rumour on acid rain fall prior to the suspected rain yesterday. When they saw an unsual dusty rain they had to run for safety. Things happen yet i wonder why i didn't witness the rain but i remember i saw the dusty effect on our cars parked outside. Strange huh?! undecided
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by agathamari(f): 1:53pm On Mar 25, 2010
lysaa:

it burnt my skin the last time i tried it on as facial mask. sad

Do u guys blame these ppl? There was a rumour on acid rain fall prior to the suspected rain yesterday. When they saw an unsual dusty rain they had to run for safety. Things happen yet i wonder why i didn't witness the rain but i remember i saw the dusty effect on our cars packed outside. Strange huh?! undecided
this dust is fine grains of sand, we are at the peak of the Altlantic cycle (last time was in the mid 70's ask your family about it there was a huge sandstorm then to) acid rain is clear not colored. acid rain/snow has been falling on the NE US and Canada and western europe since the 1980, asia since the 1990. it wont cause cancer, it wont kill you otherwise the entire population of london and new york would be dead alread considering kids there eat the snow, icicles and catch raindrops on thier tounges and play in the acid rain/snow. this was a hoax, nothing more no different then the other 100 SMS hoaxes that come out around here. in the few min it takes to to write a responce on here you could spend on the beloved google or reading a book and discover this info for yourself. didnt you people learn about this when you were like 12?
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by Borat1: 2:01pm On Mar 25, 2010
lmao. . .I can imagine. .
very funny sh*t!
"Its acid rain, run for cover!!!!" grin
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by safeact(m): 2:35pm On Mar 25, 2010
Ignorantum legem non argumentum est! Acid rain is as a result of mixture of particulate of C03, sulphide oxide,nitrate oxide with H20. Our rain has bn a mixture of one of these constituent as a result of constant emission of these gases from our cars,refineries,kitchen etc which means we have bn having acid rains in naija. Have we had any effect as a result of that? D answer is NO. So why d sudden panic now? Ignorant!
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by lysaa(f): 3:00pm On Mar 25, 2010
agathamari:

this dust is fine grains of sand, we are at the peak of the Altlantic cycle (last time was in the mid 70's ask your family about it there was a huge sandstorm then to) acid rain is clear not colored. acid rain/snow has been falling on the NE US and Canada and western europe since the 1980, asia since the 1990. it wont cause cancer, it wont kill you otherwise the entire population of london and new york would be dead alread considering kids there eat the snow, icicles and catch raindrops on thier tounges and play in the acid rain/snow. this was a hoax, nothing more no different then the other 100 SMS hoaxes that come out around here. in the few min it takes to to write a responce on here you could spend on the beloved google or reading a book and discover this info for yourself. didnt you people learn about this when you were like 12?

Did I anywhere in my post mention that i didn't know what's acid rain? Regardless of the fact that pple ran for cover from the 'suspected rain' and that we posted replies of these reaction, there are millions of others who are well aware both by experience and by education of what acid rain is and its effect but that doesn't rule out the fact that its not harmful to health if the contact of its deposit is in large amount and is direct on human. Still, u don't have to assume that everyone is as schooled as u are. I'm sure the way this info was conveyed to them is the best way they can grasp it.
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by hardywaltz(m): 3:16pm On Mar 25, 2010
Ph City  always had acid rains, though not in the manner been portrayed.
For those of you in doubt, when you roof a house in PH, it doesn't matter if its zinc, cameroon zinc, long span etc, it just corrodes or changes colour within a very short period compared to other cities say Enugu or Benin, due to the high carbon and sulphur content residue in the rain.
Yesterday shaa was just the height of ignorance when i saw everyone running for shelter, but as they say bad for others good for you. A lovely chic in spaghetti begged me profusely for a ride when it was about to rain, well i kept my opinions to myself and joined the ignorant group by quickly saving her from cancer and from there, lol
Re: Acid Rain Scare: Port Harcourt Residents Scamper For Safety by busoye19: 3:38pm On Mar 25, 2010
To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant. Ignorance kills.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Govt Blasts Abia Govt For Sacking Non-indigenes / Balarabe, Utomi, Others To Protest Against Soldiers In Lagos Today / On Self Ban, But For The GENOCIDE In Benue, I Break My Silence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.