Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (75268 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 12:22pm On Oct 27, 2016
FINAL!!

End of Discussion
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ikwerre is Ikwerre and NOT Igbo
zoogerian idiot
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dont just joke with any person you see on Nairaland.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Lacoster1(m): 10:00pm On Oct 27, 2016
zebra:

gwari, zuru, nupe, kataf, jukun and others in the north speak hausa and bear hausa names. infact hausa language is the means of communication among the minority groups in the north; does that automatically make them hausa?
no but that is not the case here, bcus those tribes u ve mentioned above have native lang. Purely differrent from hausa but ikwerre people have none different from igbo the children of eri gen.46;16
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by fortunatagraham(f): 9:48am On Nov 02, 2016
From 2010-2016. Ride on. I'm ikwerre but whether they say I'm Igbo or not, it doesn't change who I am. My language sounds a lot like Igbo, my name is an Igbo name so, there is a relationship, no doubt.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by oyatz(m): 3:24pm On Dec 16, 2016
Is this topic about political leadership in Nigeria or about hatred of Igbos?
is this about culture or politics?
Afam4eva:
Here's a post i curled from a Nigerianvillagesquare.

My people,

First of all, let me say that I am Ikwerre-Igbo. I have had to ask my dad to clarify all these confusion among the Ikwerre about who they really are. He was really enraged about that question. He said to me; "son, you are Igbo of Ikwerre extraction." He said any Ikwerre man who says he is not Igbo is a bastard, and that it's civil war politics.

I have read all the articles posted on this site, and believe me, I do not understand why the hatred on Igbo by other Nigerians. The Igbo has never ruled Nigeria since after the civil war, so why this animousity toward them. Nigerians should direct their anger towards the North and the West, and not the East. What have the Igbo done wrong?

One Pukpabi was attacked for using statistics to show Nigerians that truly, the Igbo are the most educated Nigerians. But why? His was in response to the insinuation that Ndi-Igbo are all traders. Remember, a female Yoruba Nigeria federal minister made the most stupid statement about Igbo going back to do what they know how to do: trading, instead of aspiring to be President.

Just in case you guys have forgotten, Nigeria's "leader" since 1970 has been Gowon (North), Murtala Mohammed (North), Buhari (North), Obasanjo (West), Shagari (North), Buhari (North), Babangida (North) Shonekan? (West) Abacha (North), Abubakar (North), obasanjo (West).

My question to these hate mongers is, "which of these 'miracle workers' is an Igbo man?"

Chinda Amadi, MBA
Illinois, USA

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by jollyboyvic: 10:56am On Feb 02, 2017
Am an ikwerre boy.. Full blooded ikwerre boy.. I know my history and origin.... Please igbos leave us alone..
We know who we are... I no that at the very beginning we didn't produce scholars who will tell and explain our origin and history to the world.. Yes we have similar language.. Our bia (come is your come) but our LA (GO is different from yours) our money..ewhyia is different . U call money ego... Our traditional believes are different from yours ...the way we dress our masquerade is very different from yours... Our cultural and traditional dance is different from yours... Our way of life is also different.. Our royal highness throne moves from family to family . But ur royal highness throne remains in one family.. We wear etibo... You wear different.... Yes we all wear red beads.. Red caps.. But we are different people. But still one love brings us together.. We loves ourselves.. Ikwerre marries igbo.. Igbo marries ikwerre. . An I even loves the way igbo women loves marring our men... Pls let's stop this argument.. We are all one.. BE you bayelsa.. Rivers state.. Akwa ibom.. Calabar.. Delta.. All the igbo states.. We are all one.. We wear the same red caps.. The same red beads.. The same culture and tradition..the same dressing patterns.. That's what makes us one.. That red and white caps.. Proves to us we are one.... Can't you see we all loves ourselves.. We are not afraid to visit any of our lands.. Because we know we must be welcomed.. Please stop the argument.. We are one..
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by oturugo(m): 2:03pm On Feb 02, 2017
jollyboyvic:
Am an ikwerre boy.. Full blooded ikwerre boy.. I know my history and origin.... Please igbos leave us alone..

You are not making any sense at all. Abiriba and Abam people call money okpogho instead of ego. Does that make them non IGBO.
Am sure you and your confused Ikwerre people will be the first people to travel to America if for instance President Trump permits free visas for Ndi Igbo to America.

We know who we are... I no that at the very beginning we didn't produce scholars who will tell and explain our origin and history to the world.. Yes we have similar language.. Our bia (come is your come) but our LA (GO is different from yours) our money..ewhyia is different . U call money ego... Our traditional believes are different from yours ...the way we dress our masquerade is very different from yours... Our cultural and traditional dance is different from yours... Our way of life is also different.. Our royal highness throne moves from family to family . But ur royal highness throne remains in one family.. We wear etibo... You wear different.... Yes we all wear red beads.. Red caps.. But we are different people. But still one love brings us together.. We loves ourselves.. Ikwerre marries igbo.. Igbo marries ikwerre. . An I even loves the way igbo women loves marring our men... Pls let's stop this argument.. We are all one.. BE you bayelsa.. Rivers state.. Akwa ibom.. Calabar.. Delta.. All the igbo states.. We are all one.. We wear the same red caps.. The same red beads.. The same culture and tradition..the same dressing patterns.. That's what makes us one.. That red and white caps.. Proves to us we are one.... Can't you see we all loves ourselves.. We are not afraid to visit any of our lands.. Because we know we must be welcomed.. Please stop the argument.. We are one..

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by oturugo(m): 2:10pm On Feb 02, 2017
How about Abiribas who call money okpogho. By your poor reasoning, they are not IGBO. Am sure if there is a free education program for IGBO people lets say in Canada, all the confused people deny Igbo will jump to it. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:26pm On Feb 05, 2017
oturugo:
How about Abiribas who call money okpogho. By your poor reasoning, they are not IGBO. Am sure if there is a free education program for IGBO people lets say in Canada, all the confused people deny Igbo will jump to it. What a shame.
"OKPOGHO/OKPOHO/AKPOHO" actually means in the Akwaibom languages. Still we don't tag the Abiribas 'Ibibiod ' like the Igbos would do in similar instances.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Igboid: 10:01am On Feb 06, 2017
TheSonOfMark:
"OKPOGHO/OKPOHO/AKPOHO" actually means in the Akwaibom languages. Still we don't tag the Abiribas 'Ibibiod ' like the Igbos would do in similar instances.

You can't drag Abriba because they speak a dialect of Igbo language with few loan words from Akwa Cross area.
It's same reason Ndiigbo don't drag Eleme and Andoni people people, even though they( Eleme) had incorporated many Igbo loan words from Ndoki into their language, their language still remains totally unintelligible to Ndiigbo,but intelligible to Ogonis in Khana and Gokana, like wise the Andonis whose language though containing many Igbo loan words, is clearly not Igbo.

Stop meddling into issues you know nothing about.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by RedboneSmith(m): 10:38am On Feb 06, 2017
TheSonOfMark:

Because you don't use one word or a small number of words to tag languages. You use a more extensive system of comparative linguistics.

All the languages tagged 'Igboid' share deeper affinity with Igbo than just a few words.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Igboid: 4:11pm On Feb 06, 2017
Yes we have similar language.. Our bia (come is your come) but our LA (GO is different from yours) our money..ewhyia is different . U call money ego...

This is crazy and ignorance driven.
Go is said different ways in different parts of Igboland.
In parts of Anambra it's "Puo", in parts of Imo and Abia, it's "Fuo/Ghuo/Puo, in Ezza( Ebonyi) it is " Lufulu", in Ehugbo( still Ebonyi) it's "Sohu".
You know nothing about SE, yet you speak like you do.

Like someone pointed out, Money is not called "Ego" in all parts of SE, some say "Okpoho"/ "Okpo".
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Enyindah: 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
tell me what comes to ur mind seeing anyone dress like this, WE ARE IGBOD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Enyindah: 10:59pm On Feb 10, 2017
that is Duncan mighty a proud son of ikwerre land, nwo afor ikwerre we are igbo and proud

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Probz(m): 11:27pm On Feb 10, 2017
I can't help but laugh at some Ikwerres saying their language isn't Igbo when it's x101 more intelligible than Ebonyi and Wawa Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Enyindah: 7:07am On Feb 11, 2017
we are igbos there's no arguing that, am from obio-akpor

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Pchidexy(m): 1:11pm On Feb 13, 2017
Enyindah:
we are igbos there's no arguing that, am from obio-akpor
A real Ikwerre man has spoken! Online Yoruba, Ijaw and Benin touts take note!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Chysler(m): 9:21pm On Feb 13, 2017
Most times Pple dt stir up dis kind of intra ethnic strife are not from any of the ethnic's dialect and I believe dis one is not different... This is just a cheap mischievous way to foster their hatred on a better ethnic group dt their which is Igbo in dis regard... this is just another continuation of the media war on d igbos stemming from the fear of what igbos could accomplish if united...I have one message for them, they will fail woefully... time will tell!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Oduduwaa: 8:41am On Feb 17, 2017
Lol
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ROYALD(m): 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
I am core Ikwerre man from Rumuekini, Obio/Akpor LGA, do not be deceived by those who told you that lkwerre the and Ekpeye people originated from Benin Kingdom, it was a mere fabrication put in place to divide us from our igbo brothers, go to Benin today carry out your research very well, you will find out that nobody there bears Ikwerre name like Amaechi, Amadi, Emeka, Nnamdi, Ezenwo, Nyekachi, Nyebuchi etc.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 10:01am On Feb 25, 2017
Igboid:
Yes we have similar language.. Our bia (come is your come) but our LA (GO is different from yours) our money..ewhyia is different . U call money ego...

This is crazy and ignorance driven.
Go is said different ways in different parts of Igboland.
In parts of Anambra it's "Puo", in parts of Imo and Abia, it's "Fuo/Ghuo/Puo, in Ezza( Ebonyi) it is " Lufulu", in Ehugbo( still Ebonyi) it's "Sohu".
You know nothing about SE, yet you speak like you do.

Like someone pointed out, Money is not called "Ego" in all parts of SE, some say "Okpoho"/ "Okpo".

Some parts of Imo State equally call money "Awai" and still use "wa" for go. That's Ohaji subgroup and then Uratta subgroup use "li" instead.

I will still maintain that the standard Southern and Northern urban Igbo lingos is the best thing to happen to us. Almost all Igbos understand them while a minor percentage cannot speak urban Igbo.

As for ethnicity Ikwerre isn't Igbo and Igbos should accept that we have no common front in politics or identity. The arguments should purely be about language and history.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by oturugo(m): 11:33pm On Feb 25, 2017
Abagworo:

Some parts of Imo State equally call money "Awai" and still use "wa" for go. That's Ohaji subgroup and then Uratta subgroup use "li" instead.

I will still maintain that the standard Southern and Northern urban Igbo lingos is the best thing to happen to us. Almost all Igbos understand them while a minor percentage cannot speak urban Igbo.

As for ethnicity Ikwerre isn't Igbo and Igbos should accept that we have no common front in politics or identity. The arguments should purely be about language and history.

They may not be vocal but a large number of them are happy with their Igbo identity.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Bestc1: 1:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Oduduwaa:
Lol
I don't know why igbos are fund of rewriting and distorting history for their own selfish aim..why forcing a whole tribe to claim Igbo root..the ikwerres said they originated from Benin,why imposing ur own igboic claim on them? why will d ikwerres just wake up one morning and says they originated from Benin?..they have facts backing their claims...d binis don't drag people to claim they are binis just like d igbos..so many tribes in Nigeria here has traced their root to Benin without being cajoled..Even tribes outside Nigeria traced their root to d great Benin Empire-eg Ga tribe of Ghana without being forced to claim Benin..so what is d fuss about Ikwerres not Igbo...na wa for these nairaland and Facebook warriors ooo...check out some facts from these links..http://www.newscrystal.com.ng/2017/01/a-brief-history-of-iwhnurohna-ikwerre.html?m=1. and https://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A142806
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Turantula(m): 2:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
grafikdon:
Igbo people and their nonsense!  angry angry Bunch of silly buffoons angry angry

What's the big deal here? My name is Uchenna Nwaobiaeri, I am not Igbo, I am Ekwulu. The word for "no" in my language is "eene" while the Igbo say "mba". The word ''here'' means ''ebea" in Igbo while my people say ''kana'', So what gives? Igbo people should leave us alone, na by force? Ah ah!

It is very frustrating explaining to people that I am not Igbo, my name Uchenna Nwaobiaeri is definitely not Igbo, my ethnic group is not Igbo. Igbos should really stop this madness.

Like we say in my language; Unu wu ndu Igbo ejehu ekwe nwa mmadu nuo mmiri togbo iko. Nkene owu ifwe emere eme? Agwa nwata ya wele nwayoo ka ofwhe lolo alo zuo onye owuna, okpoo ekwo nku. angry angry angry

Interesting, am from achi in enugu state, the word for "no" in my dialect is "elee" and "here" is "kala"
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2019
grafikdon:
Igbo people and their nonsense!  angry angry Bunch of silly buffoons angry angry

What's the big deal here? My name is Uchenna Nwaobiaeri, I am not Igbo, I am Ekwulu. The word for "no" in my language is "eene" while the Igbo say "mba". The word ''here'' means ''ebea" in Igbo while my people say ''kana'', So what gives? Igbo people should leave us alone, na by force? Ah ah!

It is very frustrating explaining to people that I am not Igbo, my name Uchenna Nwaobiaeri is definitely not Igbo, my ethnic group is not Igbo. Igbos should really stop this madness.

Like we say in my language; Unu wu ndu Igbo ejehu ekwe nwa mmadu nuo mmiri togbo iko. Nkene owu ifwe emere eme? Agwa nwata ya wele nwayoo ka ofwhe lolo alo zuo onye owuna, okpoo ekwo nku. angry angry angry
Abum onye omambala, na asusu nke anyi, anyi na si uwa as "no" nwanne Igbo fu ofu
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by raumdeuter: 4:52am On Sep 24, 2019
Really?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 02, 2020
zebra:

The same thing happened to me, I told them in one of the threads that no ikwerre man sees himself as igbo, they almost crucified me. Now here it is coming from an ikwerre man that they are not igbos; yet some igbo people here are still insulting him. Is it now by force to become igbo??

U don't even want to reason with ur brain.

Why not ask the same man what he's doing as the president of Ohaneze ndi igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2020
grafikdon:

U are an IGBO MAN with psychological problem.

We understand u.

Mind u in my own igbo dialect, No is Wa and ebea is nka......

So stop blabbing things u dont know.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 02, 2020
texazzpete:
If they don't want to be Igbo, why not let them? Why the hate? Abeg focus on more important things in life!

Keep mute.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 02, 2020
Why are the so-called Igbo's hounding the Ikwerre's?

Isn't that akin to 'Nigeria' hounding Biafra for wanting to breakaway?

If the Ikwerre's do not want to be recognized as Igbo's then keep it moving.

I must say though that having lived in PH for so many years a fair few Ikwerre's actually see themselves as Igbo.

The question u should ask is what the silly ikwerre man doing as ohaneze ndi igbo?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 02, 2020
edoyad:
The beautiful thing about society is that nothing remains the same. The ikwerre probably bear historical links to the igbos but like most other cultures, over time and through evolution they're now a nation of their own. My echie friend during service, David categorigally distinguished himself as an ikwerre man though he was very fluent in igbo language. Infact i never knew of the link between igbo and ikwerre till i saw it on NL.

Total balderdash.

Ikwerre are IGBOs and Etche people are even more IGBO than Ikwerre people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.