Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,837 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 (25214 Views)

BREAKING!!! Buhari Declares War On Niger Delta Militants; Deploys Troops To The / Boko Haram Carries Out First Attack On Niger Republic / Annkio Briggs Call On Niger Delta & Ndi-igbo To Break Away! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sauron1: 7:29pm On Mar 31, 2010
hackney:

Saw the drama last night.

showed Naija in a bad light but hey. . . .

There's nothing bad in what they showed.
That is Naija for you. . . . .Corruption everywhere and they were spot on with the way security officers were collecting bribes and hiding the dough in their socks.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sagamite(m): 7:54pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

The British position has changed otherwise the BBC would never air such a series. The truth about the Niger Delta is being told to British people in no uncertain terms?. . . And MEND are depicted as the heroes they are! Nigerian politics has just turned full circle. Power to the people! cool

Even the British have realised that politics as usual has failed woefully.

What the hell are you talking about? You think the BBC operate under a Nigerian system?
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by londoner: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2010
@Sagamite, the series was shot on location in South Africa not Nigeria. In an interview one of the actresses said the place was so clean that they had to lay down dirt first to make it look like Nigeria, lol

You dont expect trhe average Nigerian film amker to be able to compete with the likes of the BBC do you? We can do better than we are certainly, but we cant perform miracles, lol
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sagamite(m): 8:13pm On Mar 31, 2010
frosbel:

A Guardian Analysis of the Drama

And Harris is very good at being in the shower, which she is often. Well, twice, but that's twice more than anyone else. Get the pretty lady's kit off. To be honest, I'm finding it hard to disapprove, but at least I know I should.

Only a white man would find such skinny pack of bones as attractive and call it pretty. undecided

I was disgusted half of the time and wondered why she was not wearing a vest under her suit to cover scraggy, bony pulmonary cavity instead of flaunting it bare.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sagamite(m): 8:27pm On Mar 31, 2010
londoner:

@Sagamite, the series was shot on location in South Africa not Nigeria. In an interview one of the actresses said the place was so clean that they had to lay down dirt first to make it look like Nigeria, lol

You dont expect trhe average Nigerian film amker to be able to compete with the likes of the BBC do you? We can do better than we are certainly,  but we cant perform miracles, lol

I don't expect them to do better than the likes of BBC obviously due to finances. But there are some things they do that are just inexcusable but done due to complete innate moronic thinking, inept vision, utter laziness and satisfaction at being-below-mediocre in quality mentality.

I once passingly saw a Nigerian movie where the Nigerian police were raiding a house, they bursted in where bibs labelled FBI and were screaming "FBI, FBI, FBI". I wanted to honestly vomit as my blood was rushing through my veins like lava from an erupting volcano.

Surely this is not anything to do with lack of material resources, it just points to the fact that all those involved with making the film have mental disorders. It is lack of mental stability, otherwise, what in the devil's name would rationalise and explain such script and production.

What is wrong with screaming and labelling with SSS if these people wanted to prove their sanity?
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 31, 2010
This is a real video of the Delta situation in 2007, but whats more annoying is the manner in which the rich flout curfews and rules.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zup6FkPm_s0&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
And again, making money off the struggle of others.

Tears of the Sun
Hotel Rwanda

Sarafina

Blood and oil

This kind of mentality sef ehh
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2010
Sagamite:

What the hell are you talking about? You think the BBC operate under a Nigerian system?

The BBC dare not broadcast shows that go against UK govt positions. That is a well known fact; seriously, you need to re-educate yourself, here's one example (there are many more), https://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/resources/bbcandgov/hutton.shtml
Please stop trying to derail the thread with all that cheap nollywood rubbish, it is a very grave topic.

@topic
Once again, kudos to the BBC for airing the Niger Delta issue to 2.226 million people. I can bet you, that this show will either be aired in the US or the US will come up with its own version, its a sea change from the colonial master mentality. Nigeria is viewed as a basket case Worldwide, we better shape up or split. . . As the newspaper headline in the show screams over and over and over, "Is Tobodo the future?". Tobodo's own vision was neatly wrapped up at a political rally with the earth shaking words concerning the nation he wanted the people to rise up and create, "A nation exists when all the people share the profits of the land together; not just the Ijaw, the Igbo or the Yoruba, but the Ogoni, the Isoko and the Urhobo ". . . No mention of Hausa or Fulani.

So, yes! "Is Tobodo the future?"
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by sizzlers(m): 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2010
Pls can somebody show me where to download this movie. Im despirately in need of it. There is no way i will contribute to it without watching it. Pls send the link to sizzlars@yahoo.com
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by touchmeder: 9:38pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ive been expecting a thread like this since i watched the programme on the iplayer.
i mean i sat down and watched the thing like say lol
i really enjoyed it there are so many scences i can watch again. when the pr and the widow met with the mend leader classic
the money dropping scene at the prisons lol kai i shame sha, not forgetting the bribery when the widow just got into the country for not having the certificate
when the boat made the bend and they saw the dead oil workers hanging
the church scene when the widow confronted angel
the hotel scene where they all barged in on the oyibo and his girlfriend lol lol lol
and finally the scene on the boat when the penny finally dropped and the PR finally learnt what was going on
all in all i enjoyed myself
i felt somethings wer over done e.g the scrabby cab they pushed at the airport when the white lady just arrived i mean who drives that
the pidgin english left me laughing i wished they used more Nigerian actors or actresses
this production is also food for thought for our good old nollywood when will i see something from them of this standard?
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by OYBMEND: 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf

That is an interesting point!!!!!

All people = Ijaw, Yoruba, Igbo, Urhobo, Itsekiri and etc down south. No mention of Hausa Fulani.

I think this programme is already plotting a future without the Sharia states.

May be the Beroms and Lantang people in the midlle belt can join us too to build a better Nigeria for the Moderates.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by DOAweb(m): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2010
Sagamite:

Add:

The usual publicly celebrated achiever with dirty hands
The posh, priviledged, high-flying kid that might look down on others but is ignorant of where all condiments of his/her priviledge came from
The animalistic behaviours of panhandlers that swaddles you as you exit a Nigerian International Airport
The vexation of a woman against an Okada driver  grin
The kind heartedness of an average Nigerian when you get injured and there is no public ambulance system
The pollution of the living environments (land and sea) of SS nigerians by oil companies

Nollywood morons could not see a story in this?

Spot on  - nice one man!!
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by OnyeBabe1(f): 9:58pm On Mar 31, 2010
I liked it and thought they did great at the end, it showed that some people cannot tell the truth regardless of the situation. The wife of the mudered man didn't tell people the truth as to why the man was killed. But anyway I liked the story.

I also realised I miss watching movies with Sam Dede.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by axeman85(m): 10:25pm On Mar 31, 2010
its exagerrated jare, see di way the taxis were assumed to be and for lagos airport, correct cabs dey dere
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by real4life: 10:42pm On Mar 31, 2010
Nice drama!

Fact is common man is the Niger Delta is suffering just like other common people in other parts of the country. Just look at that beautiful hotel owned by the former Governor, while the people he governed mastered are living miserable lives; not far from what obtains in real life.

I wish the militants in the Niger Delta are like they were portrayed in the drama.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 10:48pm On Mar 31, 2010
real4life:

Nice drama!

Fact is common man is the Niger Delta is suffering just like other common people in other parts of the country. Just look at that beautiful hotel owned by the former Governor, while the people he governed mastered are living miserable lives; not far from what obtains in real life.

I wish the militants in the Niger Delta are like they were portrayed in the drama.

The film makes a clear distinction between other so called "militants" and MEND, the true heroes fighting for a just cause. MEND is actually much better than as portrayed in the movie.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by real4life: 11:02pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

The film makes a clear distinction between other so called "militants" and MEND, the true heroes fighting for a just cause. MEND is actually much better than as portrayed in the movie.

Again I wish that is true, but it is difficult to know that for sure. Are you in MEND?
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sunofgod(m): 11:12pm On Mar 31, 2010
MEND have correctly been shown to be FREEDOM FIGHTERS

Fighting for the freedom from the inhumane treatment of their people and their environment by the 'Cabal' and immoral western companies.

They have received acknowledgement from the West for their efforts.

If Che Guevara was around today he would beg to be a part of MEND

Period,
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 11:12pm On Mar 31, 2010
real4life:

Again I wish that is true, but it is difficult to know that for sure. Are you in MEND?

Look closely, critically and logically like the BBC has done. The story was not even half told.
. . .No, I'm not in MEND.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by IbroYaya: 11:14pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

Tobodo's own vision was neatly wrapped up at a political rally with the earth shaking words concerning the nation he wanted the people to rise up and create, [b]"A nation exists when all the people share the profits of the land together; not just the Ijaw, the Igbo or the Yoruba, but the Ogoni, the Isoko and the Urhobo ". . . [b[b]]No mention of Hausa or Fulani.

So, yes! "Is Tobodo the future?"

I strongly agree that Tobodo is the future. Beaf u have to understand that he doesn't have to mention hausa or fulani to convey the message. What U should know is that, the way the Niger Deltans are going about it, even Ijaws don't want to share it with Igbos or Yoruba. And still within the Ijaws some certain group still want to claim higher share. A nation doesnt exist that way. I still say it every part of the country  can leave on its own resources, but the benefits we derive as a nation is more.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 11:27pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

I strongly agree that Tobodo is the future. Beaf u have to understand that he doesn't have to mention hausa or fulani to convey the message. What U should know is that, the way the Niger Deltans are going about it, even Ijaws don't want to share it with Igbos or Yoruba. And still within the Ijaws some certain group still want to claim higher share. A nation doesnt exist that way. I still say it every part of the country  can leave on its own resources, but the benefits we derive as a nation is more.

You are guilty of several wild generalisations against the Ijaws.
MEND has always asked for true federalism, they have never asked for secession. Something that will shock you is that since Jonathan took over, a lot of the oil disruption has been done by other ethnicities (eg Isoko's and Urhobo's) with the Ijaws stepping back a bit. Secession will be the last card if we cannot acheive justice and equity through true federalism.

Tobodo's mention of ethnicities included the biggest Southern ethnic groups and the Southern minorities that produce the most oil (Itsekiri was missed out strangely, perhaps grouped as Yoruba).
In my opinion, it is very telling that Tobodo mentioned Igbo and Yoruba without mentioning Hausa. It couldn't have been in error, because that film was very well researched.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by hackney(m): 11:33pm On Mar 31, 2010
Over $380bn stolen or wasted since 1960.

Money that even hong-kong did not have till early '90's.
Na wa for naija.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by eros(m): 11:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
Nice
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sagamite(m): 11:39pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

The BBC dare not broadcast shows that go against UK govt positions. That is a well known fact; seriously, you need to re-educate yourself, here's one example (there are many more), https://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/resources/bbcandgov/hutton.shtml
Please stop trying to derail the thread with all that cheap nollywood rubbish, it is a very grave topic.

Did you even FOR A SECOND bother to read your own evidence. You come online to give your nescient parochial view of life and think that is what occurs in the UK. And you are talking about re-educating. Don't travel and see that other countries don't function like Nigeria.

Your example shows that the BBC was guilty of reporting baseless stories AGAINST the UK government, the government complained and BBC refused to retract, and you are using the same story as your evidence the "BBC dare not broadcast shows that go against UK govt positions"?
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 11:42pm On Mar 31, 2010
^
Very "smart" guy! cry

hackney:

Over $380bn stolen or wasted since 1960.

Money that even hong-kong did not have till early '90's.
Na wa for naija.

That just makes one want to weep.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Sagamite(m): 11:50pm On Mar 31, 2010
Beaf:

^
Very "smart" guy! cry

Continue with your rampant surmises and think that bodes well on the perception of your intelligence.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by Beaf: 11:52pm On Mar 31, 2010
^
Blood and Oil! grin
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by marvielson(m): 11:55pm On Mar 31, 2010
I strongly agree that Tobodo is the future. Beaf u have to understand that he doesn't have to mention hausa or fulani to convey the message. What U should know is that, the way the Niger Deltans are going about it, even Ijaws don't want to share it with Igbos or Yoruba. And still within the Ijaws some certain group still want to claim higher share. A nation doesnt exist that way. I still say it every part of the country  can leave on its own resources, but the benefits we derive as a nation is more.[/quote

The verb 'share' is very different from the verb 'take'. ever been to Warri, or Sapele talkless of a village in the Niger-Delta?! Lets see things happening like laws against gas flaring, fines against pollution which are actually meted out, infrasstucture being built and maybe sharing will become an option. Do people remember the 11 Ogoni leaders killed, or journalists like Dele Giwa or the village of Odi that was wiped out by the military?! Our blood has been spilt for nothing its our country too. we deserve more.we dont want it all but we shouldn't be left in the middle ages while Nigeria catches up with the world. that is unfair.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by marvielson(m): 12:00am On Apr 01, 2010
As to the Huasa not getting 'anything' we pump oil all the way to kaduna so you can have jobs and launder more oil. they dont even have the raw material. talk about resourcefullness!!
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by olaolabiy: 12:02am On Apr 01, 2010
a visit to the western world will reveal how far nigeria has been plundered.a girl of a top nigerian lives here in a house with swimming pool on the roof-owned by her mum.
there is also a boy who lives in a  suite of a 5-star hotel that costs 3,000 pounds a night.i can go on and on.

to you guys outsie the uk,the bbc iplayer is not meant to be viewed outside the uk.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by toladop(m): 7:08am On Apr 01, 2010
I would try and download the video and upload later so those outside d UK can watch
The documentary makes proper sense, its d reality. This is what I know cos I grew up in Port Harcourt. Its not really a repentant attitude from the Brits anyway. The purpose of these documentaries is to expose d realities of life.
Re: Blood And Oil (New BBC 2 Drama on Niger Delta Crisis) - Episodes 1 and 2 by gideonosa: 8:59am On Apr 01, 2010
I cannot open the video.Is it because i am outside UK?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

INEC Fixes Dates For Kogi, Bayelsa Gov Elections / Abiola Wrote The Names Of Ministers For Abacha - Olutayo Soyode / Gunmen Attack Deeper Life Church At Okene Kogi State, Kill 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.