Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion (63693 Views)

What Type Of Phone Are You Using At The Moment? / Comparison Of Phone Flashing Softwares / Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi's Obituary And Corpse (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bughead: 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2017
teacherbim:

Ha ha it happens ooooooo, a neighbor in my street died 2years ago when tried to receive call while starting a generator.
let try to be objective here!

Are you there when it happens?

Or you base your assumption on "them say them say principle"

Probably must be he was filling his gen while it was running

4 Likes

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by teacherbim(f): 8:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
Let me warn my kids ooo, mommy mommy your phone is ringing while Im cooking should stop ooooooo, we all need to be careful because most people do not believe

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Dafreeguy(m): 8:43pm On Dec 15, 2017
addizzle:
....my dear yes oo.. .God has been sparing me oo but I shouldn't put Him to test for long naa grin grin..so am getting it tomorrow ooo

u have learnt from NL..hope u know it ain't only gas..but petrol as well

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by JuanDeDios: 8:43pm On Dec 15, 2017
dingbang:
People dont adhere to simple safety instructions...
What are the safety instructions?

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by addizzle(f): 8:47pm On Dec 15, 2017
Dafreeguy:

u have learnt from NL..hope u know it ain't only gas..but petrol as well
hahahahaaha....yes oo
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Tonytonex(m): 8:48pm On Dec 15, 2017
SEE WHAT IGNORANCE HAS CAUSED. people should know these safety rules.
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Dafreeguy(m): 8:55pm On Dec 15, 2017
addizzle:
hahahahaaha....yes oo

good! so what did scared addizle cook tonight with her Nokia torchlight fone? am famished!
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Ournaija: 8:55pm On Dec 15, 2017
bughead:
what make your phone vibrate is due to a device called motor! The same device found in clipper.

Your phone is case seal and there is no how even if ignition occur in your phone can explode a gas!

It's easy to confirm. Take out your multimeter, call your phone and take reading.
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Hades2016(m): 8:56pm On Dec 15, 2017
muller101:
Village people
that camel toe nice grin
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Tonytonex(m): 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2017
bughead:

STOP DISPLAYING UR FOOLISHNESS. don't wait till it happens to you before you learn. simple safety rules some people don't know. and will boldly come out to argue.

2 Likes

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Ranchhoddas: 8:59pm On Dec 15, 2017
Spaxon:
Phone Calls and Gas

SWORN ENEMIES SINCE 1883......
This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Is there a science to this?
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Troublemaker007(m): 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2017
HtwoOw:
Gas cylinder ignited by phone?

It must be village people

Naaa electromagnetic wave bro can ignite gas. It has nothing to do with village people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Eaglesence: 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2017
dingbang:
People dont adhere to simple safety instructions...

We no know ooo I'm hearing it for the first time. Phone call and gas
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by 3kay945(m): 9:05pm On Dec 15, 2017
bennynaza:
Death is our doorstep, some try to avoid it, others just can't get out of its way... The fact that we survive at all is a miracle,

Cos every day we live we face a THOUSAND WAYS TO DIE

Thanks for the reminder, I love the program very much but stopped watching cos of my kids.
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by anytexy: 9:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
muller101:
Village people
Bad guy. So you too see what I saw. LoL

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bennynaza(m): 9:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
3kay945:

Thanks for the reminder, I love the program very much but stopped watching cos of my kids.

one of my favorite shows. Its graphic, so good idea not to let ur kids watch it. But u can without them
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by 3kay945(m): 9:11pm On Dec 15, 2017
bughead:

I haven't confirm the fuel and phone thing but the cylinder gas and phone is confirmed bro,. It happened to My in-law family's friend. The lady was buried same day according to Islam rite.
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Ranchhoddas: 9:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
I just Googled.

It's a myth.

Phones cannot cause such explosions.
The culprit was most likely static electricity.

https://blogthinkbig.com/why-is-the-use-of-mobile-phones-at-petrol-stations-prohibited

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=127836

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by 3kay945(m): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
Eaglesence:

We no know ooo I'm hearing it for the first time. Phone call and gas
You have Learnt new stuff today.

Ranchhoddas:
I just Googled.

It's a myth.

Phones cannot cause such explosions.
The culprit was most likely static electricity.

https://blogthinkbig.com/why-is-the-use-of-mobile-phones-at-petrol-stations-prohibited

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=127836

This is where Google failed you, I guess.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2017
So everybody that over-wears make-up is now considered beautiful, abi? Even Bobrisky...right? May she R.I.P anyway!
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by nextstep(m): 9:19pm On Dec 15, 2017
HtwoOw:
Gas cylinder ignited by phone?

It must be village people

You're given a perfectly valid scientific sequence of events, and off you go dragging in the spiritual.

For the same reason we're advised not to get in/out of the car while pumping gas, or smoke cigarettes at the pump, etc..

In dryer climates, you can generate static electricity by motion (cloth rubbing on body), which is then discharged upon contact with a metal object, like a car or pump. The discharge causes a spark which can ignite the fumes of gas or petrol. She might have accidentally caused some static discharge (though I don't know what the phone had to do with it). It doesn't happen too often, but as you can see, it does happen.

It's unfortunate it happened (RIP to her), and in saner countries, there'd be an investigation into the leakage.

3 Likes

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Ranchhoddas: 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
3kay945:

You have Learnt knew stuff today.

This is where Google failed you, I guess.
Please read the links and stop being a toad.

I am not surprised though as you cannot even differentiate "new" from "knew".

3 Likes

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bughead: 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2017
3kay945:

I haven't confirm the fuel and phone thing but the cylinder gas and phone is confirmed bro,. It happened to My in-law family's friend. The lady was buried same day according to Islam rite.
For this article, we're going to work from the assumption that you don't want to cause an explosion and fire at a gas station, sending the whole structure and all of its patrons up in a cloud of smoke, lottery tickets, windshield-washer fluid and Funyuns. So, if you don't want to cause an explosion or start a fire at a gas station, you should keep your trusty cell phone holstered, right?

Nope.

While gas stations have posted warnings against cell phone use, and urban legends recount fires started by cell phones at gas tanks, there has been no documented case of a cell phone starting a fire at a gas station [source: Petroleum Equipment Institute]. In fact, researchers have actively tried (and failed) to use cell phones to start gas pump fires [source: MythBusters].

What started the idea that cell phones and gas pumps don't mix? One culprit could be the little shock you get when you shuffle across the carpet. While cell phones haven't been shown to ignite fires at gas stations, static electricity has. When you gas up your car, you're likely careful not to spill a single drop (gas is expensive!). Still, gas vapors hang out around the pump nozzle, even when it's inserted in your gas tank. Those vapors can be ignited by static electricity. Once they get ignited, the fire travels wherever the gas is — inside the pump, inside the car's fuel tank — and the next thing you know, there's a big boom and you're going to have a lot of explaining to do to your insurance company.

You're not safe from static electricity just because most gas stations are short on shag rugs. If you like to start the fuel pump, then get back in your car (because you're cold or lazy and don't want to stand outside) and then go back to return the nozzle to the pump, your little visit inside your car might have charged you up enough to ignite those gasoline fumes. In fact, some experts have found charges of up to 60,000 volts on people who'd gotten in and out of their cars while refueling [source: Hunter].

Source:https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/using-cell-phone-at-gas-pump-make-it-explode.htm

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bughead: 9:23pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Please read the links and stop being a toad.

I am not surprised though as you cannot even differentiate "new" from "knew".

just google every source I can find online and there is no event ever recorded!

Even the famous myths buster has debunk this and called it an urban legend!

3 Likes

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
actrinity:

His question was in order. How can a phone call ignite a cylinder? Is there any electrical connection to the cylinder?

My thoughts exactly. Correlation is not causation.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Ranchhoddas: 9:25pm On Dec 15, 2017
bughead:
just google every source I can find online and there is no event ever recorded!

Even the famous myths buster has debunk this and called it an urban legend!
QED
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
nextstep:

You're given a perfectly valid scientific sequence of events, and off you go dragging in the spiritual.

For the same reason we're advised not to get in/out of the car while pumping gas, or smoke cigarettes at the pump, etc..

In dryer climates, you can generate static electricity by motion (cloth rubbing on body), which is then discharged upon contact with a metal object, like a car or pump. The discharge causes a spark which can ignite the fumes of gas or petrol. She might have accidentally caused some static discharge (though I don't know what the phone had to do with it). It doesn't happen too often, but as you can see, it does happen.

It's unfortunate it happened (RIP to her), and in saner countries, there'd be an investigation into the leakage.

An educated reader. A rarity on this forum

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
This is absolute bullshit. Your cell phone cannot cause fire at a gas station. It's nothing but an urban legend.

https://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

www.nydailynews.com/autos/cell-phones-don-pump-fires-experts-article-1.1123228

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/safety-canada-online/article/cell-phones-risks-and-rumour

www.abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=127836&sid=248

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/accidents-hazardous-conditions/using-cell-phone-at-gas-pump-make-it-explode.htm

If it's true, one is left to wonder why it doesn't happen OFTEN since most people do not obey the warning signs at gas stations---they do not follow the instructions.

It's nothing but a myth. There's no scientific evidence to back it up.
RIP to the woman and all the others. My heart goes out to their family and friends. It's quite tragic.

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bughead: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

My thoughts exactly. Correlation is not causation.
thank God for google but many don't use it!

Phone can't cause a gas explosion !

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/safety-canada-online/article/cell-phones-risks-and-rumour

1 Like

Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by DIIGZ(m): 9:27pm On Dec 15, 2017
muller101:
Village people
abi nice horse toe
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 15, 2017
bughead:
and you call this a pretty lady undecided

Where is your sense of sympathy

Anyway your moniker says it all undecided
Re: Margaret Omobolawa Opeyemi Dies Of Phone Triggered Gas Explosion by bughead: 9:29pm On Dec 15, 2017

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tiktok Bans ‘legging Legs’ Trend Amid Concerns Over Body Image / Blazing!!! Get 9mobile 1GB For N200 Valid For 3days: Everybody is Eligible / Glo 4G LTE Network Is Now Available With Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.