Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. (74888 Views)

Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Living And Studying In India- Serious Contributions Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by solcartzz: 10:53am On Oct 09, 2012
I got admitted to a city whr nigerians don't knw much about and according to what I heard nigerian studentz living there are not up to 15....the city is very peacful and no form of rascism...if yhu want your NDLEA clearance,I advise yhu shud strt it now becoause it is rily a very long and time wasting process ...

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by obietrice1: 12:54am On Oct 11, 2012
solcartzz: I got admitted to a city whr nigerians don't knw much about and according to what I heard nigerian studentz living there are not up to 15....the city is very peacful and no form of rascism...if yhu want your NDLEA clearance,I advise yhu shud strt it now becoause it is rily a very long and time wasting process ...
Hw much n hw long does it take 2 process...Tanx
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by eedriyz(m): 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
Who knows how much the processing will cost? I need a school to study accounting
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 12:02am On Jan 07, 2013
solcartzz: I got admitted to a city whr nigerians don't knw much about and according to what I heard nigerian studentz living there are not up to 15....the city is very peacful and no form of rascism...if yhu want your NDLEA clearance,I advise yhu shud strt it now becoause it is rily a very long and time wasting process ...
Pray tell us where that is? Peaceful and no form of racism in russia? Was that a joke? cheesy
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by 19naia(m): 6:31am On Jan 07, 2013
more and more russians every year are going to countries like philppines to do university because its cheaper there and sometimes better education than russia as russia is crumbling in academic status as capitalism/mafioso culture takes over there..russia may still have the phyisical structures of the mighty power it once was,but it has crumbled from within its structure in unseen ways that prove many easier and cheaper options in other countries, even for russians themselves to travel to for education...racism in europe is very wreckless in countries that have none or little history of black citizens,and then adding the factor of the cold,i would not even waste the money to go and visit if i had millions of dollars to waste....there are black people there making life progress and so i must give credit to whoever decides to go and i wish them success which is possible even in the worst countries
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hey guys I need help. I am seriously considering going to Russia for a Ph.D Electrical Engineering programme. The reason is that it is cheaper than the West and for a faculty like Electrical Engineering, i will be exposed to the best standards.i am however disturbed at the stories I keep hearing about Russia. Everybody seems to be saying something different. PLease i need people who have studied or are studying in Russia to help me.
Where is the best place to study for a programme like Ph.D electrical engineering.
I do have support from home and I do not plan to stay after my study. i just want to earn the Ph.D and move back to Nigeria.
In terms of cost and exposure and living expenses, which schools can I target to give the best experience. i do not want to study in Russia o . Though i donot mind learning the language. Kindly direct me all. I am 26 years old now and have B.tech and M.ENG Electrical Engineering from two different Nigerian Universities, Thanks.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
Guitarlife: Hey guys I need help. I am seriously considering going to Russia for a Ph.D Electrical Engineering programme. The reason is that it is cheaper than the West and for a faculty like Electrical Engineering, i will be exposed to the best standards.i am however disturbed at the stories I keep hearing about Russia. Everybody seems to be saying something different. PLease i need people who have studied or are studying in Russia to help me.
Where is the best place to study for a programme like Ph.D electrical engineering.
I do have support from home and I do not plan to stay after my study. i just want to earn the Ph.D and move back to Nigeria.
In terms of cost and exposure and living expenses, which schools can I target to give the best experience. i do not want to study in Russia o . Though i donot mind learning the language. Kindly direct me all. I am 26 years old now and have B.tech and M.ENG Electrical Engineering from two different Nigerian Universities, Thanks.
But why Russia? undecided cant you go somewhere else? just asking though.
Anyways, the BEST city in Russia in terms of EVERYTHING (though some may say St. Petes)is Moscow . I dare anyone to refute this. cheesy You can check my siggy, so I now what I'm saying.
And so to answer your question, the best place for your Ph.d is yep, Moscow.
keep in mind 3 things though
1. Langauge (you MUST learn it and you are looking at 6-9 months)
2. Its more expensive in Moscow than almost anywhere else. Education on the other hand is cheaper compared to the UK or US
3. A close pal of mine is currently doing his Phd at Gubkin so if you are seriously interested, let me know so that I can make enquiries for you.

On the other hand, just google universities in Moscow. them plenty. make your choice and you can as well contact the schools directly.

3 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2013
FBS:
But why Russia? undecided cant you go somewhere else? just asking though.
Anyways, the BEST city in Russia in terms of EVERYTHING (though some may say St. Petes)is Moscow . I dare anyone to refute this. cheesy You can check my siggy, so I now what I'm saying.
And so to answer your question, the best place for your Ph.d is yep, Moscow.
keep in mind 3 things though
1. Langauge (you MUST learn it and you are looking at 6-9 months)
2. Its more expensive in Moscow than almost anywhere else. Education on the other hand is cheaper compared to the UK or US
3. A close pal of mine is currently doing his Phd at Gubkin so if you are seriously interested, let me know so that I can make enquiries for you.

On the other hand, just google universities in Moscow. them plenty. make your choice and you can as well contact the schools directly.
Oh!! what a life saver you are. Thanks for your time. Well, I am considering Russia just like you said because of the cost. For my discipline, Electrical Engineering I also think its a good place to study but you have raised a rather serious issue which I have overlooked. I intend to study in an English medium University, does that mean I still have to study for a language preparatory course for 9 months too before starting the Ph.D programme proper ? And about the Gubkin University that you said, I am highly interested . Kindly link me up with that your pal. But is Gubkin also in moscow ? I just need all the information i can get. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 2:31pm On Jul 18, 2013
Guitarlife: Oh!! what a life saver you are. Thanks for your time. Well, I am considering Russia just like you said because of the cost. For my discipline, Electrical Engineering I also think its a good place to study but you have raised a rather serious issue which I have overlooked. I intend to study in an English medium University, does that mean I still have to study for a language preparatory course for 9 months too before starting the Ph.D programme proper ? And about the Gubkin University that you said, I am highly interested . Kindly link me up with that your pal. But is Gubkin also in moscow ? I just need all the information i can get. Thanks.
Personally, I'd say look elsewhere. Germany, Finland. Those countries are more affordable than Russia (Moscow) but that's my opinion.
To answer your question, yes Gubkin is in Moscow and popular too. My pal is a chemical engineer (whatever that is. lol) at Gubkin for his Ph.d.
There are not that many schools offering Phd programmes in English in Moscow but you just have to search. Still, learning the language will help in adapting to the country.
Anyways, I found this school in Tomsk (think Siberia) and their website indicates that they offer Phd in English
http://www.iie.tpu.ru/en/3_programs_Ph_D.php

Also, you can check my [url=africansinrussia.com/forum/index.php?topic=347.0]website/forum-Africans in Russia[/url]. There, I have a list of Universities in Russia (ranking wise) feel free to browse through, contact the school. And if you have questions,ask, if I can, I will answer you.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 18, 2013
FBS:
Personally, I'd say look elsewhere. Germany, Finland. Those countries are more affordable than Moscow but that's my opinion.
To answer your question, yes Gubkin is in Moscow and popular too. My pal is a chemical engineer (whatever that is. lol) at Gubkin for his Ph.d.
There are not that many schools offering Phd programmes in English in Moscow but you just have to search. Still, learning the language will help in adapting to the country.
Anyways, I found this school in Tomsk (think Siberia) and their website indicates that they offer Phd in English
http://www.iie.tpu.ru/en/3_programs_Ph_D.php

Also, you can check my [url=africansinrussia.com/forum/index.php?topic=347.0]website/forum-Africans in Russia[/url]. There, I have a list of Universities in Russia (ranking wise) feel free to browse through, contact the school. And if you have questions,ask, if I can, I will answer you.
I am most grateful for your response. My attraction to Russia I can say stems from the ease of obtaining the Russian student visa compared to german and finland. Like I said initially, I intend to study for the Ph.D and return back to Nigeria cos the field of Electrical Engineering has got so much potentials especially as a Ph.D holder. I am not really keen on using Russia as a gateway to Europe or even settling down there. I just need an opportunity that will guarantee my Ph.D in the shortest possible time and in a recognised University. if you think I am misguided please, kindly correct me. Thanks once again for your time.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 3:11pm On Jul 18, 2013
Guitarlife: I am most grateful for your response. My attraction to Russia I can say stems from the ease of obtaining the Russian student visa compared to german and finland. Like I said initially, I intend to study for the Ph.D and return back to Nigeria cos the field of Electrical Engineering has got so much potentials especially as a Ph.D holder. I am not really keen on using Russia as a gateway to Europe or even settling down there. I just need an opportunity that will guarantee my Ph.D in the shortest possible time and in a recognised University. if you think I am misguided please, kindly correct me. Thanks once again for your time.
Not at all man. I understand your desire and position but remember that easy does not always mean good neither does expensive mean brilliant.
See, living and studying in an "open" society like Germany or Finland creates (in most cases) opportunities even beyond what might be thinking at the moment. Whereas,in a "closed" society like Russia, you might find some limitations. heck, students in Russia are officially NOT allowed to work. Someone said it has changed but I don't think so. And I can't really vouch for the standard of education now. Before it was better.
But, well, its your choice and since you already know what you want, just go for it. sometimes the harder it is, the sweeter the reward.
Think and decide wisely!

3 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
FBS:
Not at all man. I understand your desire and position but remember that easy does not always mean good neither does expensive mean brilliant.
See, living and studying in an "open" society like Germany or Finland creates (in most cases) opportunities even beyond what might be thinking at the moment. Whereas,in a "closed" society like Russia, you might find some limitations. heck, students in Russia are officially NOT allowed to work. Someone said it has changed but I don't think so. And I can't really vouch for the standard of education now. Before it was better.
But, well, its your choice and since you already know what you want, just go for it. sometimes the harder it is, the sweeter the reward.
Think and decide wisely!
Thanks for your response and I will surely consider your suggestion.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 9:07am On Jul 23, 2013
Guitarlife: Thanks for your response and I will surely consider your suggestion.
All the very best.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 9:33am On Aug 06, 2013
quinfayva: Hi all..pls my friend has been offered fed govt scholarship to study law in Russia but she's kinda worried abt schooling in Russia and where to practise since Russia is not a common law jurisdiction and also the language pls any useful info or link wif Nigerians studying law in Russia would be appreciated..tnxx
Study Law in Russia? Really? Where in Russia, Moscow?
If its a Russian taught programme then obviously she has to learn the language. Think 6-9 months.
The Peoples Friendship offer English-taught courses in Law.

http://www.rudn.ru/en/?pagec=1318
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 06, 2013
She has sent u an email

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
Was the email sent to me?

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2013
Yes...She doesn't knw the sch yet all the awardees were not told..it is this Bea scholarship stuff...pls leave ur email 4 easy communication tnxxs
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 3:22am On Aug 08, 2013
The e-mail never got to me but you can contact via my signature. just click on it.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Tgen: 10:09am On Aug 08, 2013
pat123: Hi opcomm and davedavy,
I really appreciate your help so far.I'm really confused with this racism thing.Actually,I'm applying for school outhere cos of the low tuition.I would have prefered any other place with a tuiition as low as $2500.Anyway,if my best bet is still to go there,can you tell me how life is in Petersburg in general,especially for international students/foreigners?Moreover,how can one avoid impendinmg trouble with the so call racist 'skull head'?btw P'burg and moscow,which is a bit better in term of racism and other things that make life worthwhile in russia.Thanks and have a great weekend as I will be expecting your response soon.
I love Russia and the language...d truth is that, racism is at it's peak, whatever city you might find yourself or intend going, you'll face it, though it defers by city. The bottom line is that, if you are scared of racism, you will be scared of Russia, so if racism is an issue to you, think twice my friend.
Also, if you don't have strong financial backup, your stay in Russia might be terrible, you need to be financially stable cos getting a job should be your last motive of coming to Russia. Moscow is a cool place to stay cos it provides more oppurtunities than all other cities, but u should also know that moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world, st. Pt b is also ok...don't know much about the city, but i'll advice Tver cos its affordable compared with moscow n st. Ptbough and also, Tver is just the next city to moscow...abt 1hr 30mins or less from moscow. Language also, could be a barrier. Best of luck!
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 10:13am On Aug 08, 2013
Tgen:
I love Russia and the language...d truth is that, racism is at it's peak, whatever city you might find yourself or intend going, you'll face it, though it defers by city. The bottom line is that, if you are scared of racism, you will be scared of Russia, so if racism is an issue to you, think twice my friend.
Also, if you don't have strong financial backup, your stay in Russia might be terrible, you need to be financially stable cos getting a job should be your last motive of coming to Russia. Moscow is a cool place to stay cos it provides more oppurtunities than all other cities, but u should also know that moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world, st. Pt b is also ok...don't know much about the city, but i'll advice Tver cos its affordable compared with moscow n st. Ptbough and also, Tver is just the next city to moscow...abt 1hr 30mins or less from moscow. Language also, could be a barrier. Best of luck!
Point of correction, Tver is about 3 hours from Moscow by bus or 2 hours 20 min on normal train. Only Sapsan runs that fast and its expensive.))
What is it that you love about Russia and can't get my head around what is there to love about the language? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pentanetworks(m): 2:23pm On Aug 16, 2013
solcartzz
are you already in Russia? Let me know when you are arriving here. I am also residing here. can render you some help if at needed!
FBS:
Point of correction, Tver is about 3 hours from Moscow by bus or 2 hours 20 min on normal train. Only Sapsan runs that fast and its expensive.))
What is it that you love about Russia and can't get my head around what is there to love about the language? cheesy
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by vincent09(m): 7:37am On Aug 21, 2013
Hello FBS, dave, and everyone in Russia.
I applied to Lobachevsky university of nizhny novgorod... Can you please give me a little tip of how the city of nizhny is, and how far it is from Moscow, lastly please what are the documents to legalise and authentic from ministry of education and foreign affairs.... I appreciate the info shared here.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 10:07am On Aug 21, 2013
vincent09: Hello FBS, dave, and everyone in Russia.
I applied to Lobachevsky university of nizhny novgorod... Can you please give me a little tip of how the city of nizhny is, and how far it is from Moscow, lastly please what are the documents to legalise and authentic from ministry of education and foreign affairs.... I appreciate the info shared here.
NN (sometimes called Gorky) is about 420km from Moscow. Thats about 4-5 hrs depending on the type of train you take or 6-7 hrs by bus. Novgorod is a cool and big city (5th largest in the country). It has a port and I think cars are assembled there. Can't really tell you how Africans are treated there but in Russia generally you just have to be careful.
Documents to legalise/authenticate/translate will be your certs (if any). I would contact the school directly if I were you.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by vincent09(m): 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2013
Thanks so much for this info Bro
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 1:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
You welcome bro. cheesy
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by vincent09(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2013
Bro please recommend a good university for a preparatory class that's good in the language.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 9:51am On Aug 22, 2013
Most universities (if not all) have their preparatory classes (called "PodFak" cheesy )tailored to your needs to study and thereafter you master the language as you progress.
So, whichever school you have applied to will do just fine.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Tgen: 9:15am On Aug 23, 2013
FBS:
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pinktruth: 4:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
Need to a reputable school in Russia to study Medicine by February 2014. ɪ̣̝̇ have applied to Kursk state medical university but still haven't received a reply.can anybody help with other schools that take students by february aπϑ away from the major cities where racism is common?Any reply will be appreciated
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by FBS: 12:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
pinktruth: Need to a reputable school in Russia to study Medicine by February 2014. ɪ̣̝̇ have applied to Kursk state medical university but still haven't received a reply.can anybody help with other schools that take students by february aπϑ away from the major cities where racism is common?Any reply will be appreciated
Sorry but NONE exist. Its same EVERYWHERE!
Try RUDN in Moscow. I think they have a rolling enrollment system. In Russia, though, school starts in September.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by homeboy232(m): 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2013
RUSSIA IS HARD......................unless if u can play along with the mafian business....not for cowards......if you are caught as a black man, it is straight to prision without judgement.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / A Moving Filling Station In Dubai Shocks Nigerian Man (Pix, Video) / Nigerian Made Boats That Lagos Government Wants To Buy (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.