Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

What It Means To Be "born Again"! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What It Means To Be "born Again"! (15903 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Declares 100 Days Fasting & Prayer-It Means A Lot For 2014 / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2010
@Joagbaje: That's splitting hairs, bro. Remission involves forgiveness smiley
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 4:27pm On Apr 14, 2010
InesQor:

@Joagbaje: That's splitting hairs, bro. Remission involves forgiveness smiley

Yes I agree with you but forgiveness is pardon for sin, atonement is cover up of sin , the sin is still there but , repercussion is withheld. remission wipes sin of as though it never existed.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 4:40pm On Apr 14, 2010
We need to first understand the fact that Sin is a nature, A man does not need to do anything wrong to be a sinner
Romans 5:14
Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Just like Nuella2 explained earlier.A man is born in sin. If he never did any evil thing , he is still a sinner. an inocent child is still a sinner! The nature of sin is in the blood. That is why a christian is born , not of blood.

John 1:13
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Either a man does right or wrong , hes a candidate for hell, Adam had sinned on his behalf. We sinned through Adam.
Romans 5:12
Wherefore, as by one man(Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned
: ( through Adam).

So this nature of sin ,is not what you ask forgiveness for. It has to be taken away. This is the "remission" of sin nature .and you recieve a new nature of righteousness by faith.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

Yes I agree with you but forgiveness is pardon for sin, atonement is cover up of sin , the sin is still there but , repercussion is withheld. remission wipes sin of as though it never existed.

I would like to draw your attention to the part highlighted above. It seems you are saying even though God has forgiven a sinner, his sin still remains! Implying that one can be forgiven outside of the atonement of Christ.what scripture supports this skewed interpretation? Hasn't the scriptures been clear from Genesis to Revelation that without atonement there can be no forgiveness of sins. Atonement---->Forgiveness
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood (ATONEMENT) of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission (FORGIVENESS) of sins.
Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Psa 32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

And do you see how atonement and forgiveness are linked in Psalm 32:1. Never one without the other.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

So this nature of sin ,is not what you ask forgiveness for. It has to be taken away. This is the "remission" of sin nature .and you recieve a new nature of righteousness by faith.
. . . so in effect, you have re-defined the word "remission" to mean "taking away of the sinful nature"?

Joagbaje:

I got news for you oga.

Remission of sin = Forgiveness of sin.
"Forgiveness" wipes sin as though it never existed in the same way "Remission" does.

It would appear you're trying to create a seperate class or levels of "forgiveness":
Those whose sin nature have been "Remitted" > Those whose sins have merely been "Forgiven" - where is your scripture for this one?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 6:33pm On Apr 14, 2010
nuclearboy:

WOFers' are not really smudges! They are more like thick black paint over a vehicle windscreen with the words - "minimum speed 100MPH. Just trust in pastor chris" - on the opaque interior of the glass. Can you imagine a supposed pastor misapplying the Bible and deliberately changing the meaning of God's Word. We used to say Muslims derailed threads with distraction - this is mastery at its peak and they have nothing on him! I'm greater than John. shocked Only me has forgiveness. shocked Others cannot be forgiven. shocked You're insulting me by correcting me. shocked So why didn't Peter say same when Paul corrected him? And no wonder your pastors are having children from all over their congregations. Soon too, banks will ask if you are CE so they know if they are safe employing you

Rubbish! I wish I could put a box of christmas bangers inside your nostrils and set them off. angry

And yes, Jesoul, EVERYTHING JESUS SAID BEFORE HIS RESURRECTION IS OFF NO IMPORT TODAY because there is better revelation knowledge now! shocked shocked shocked. Shey the Bible said "Jesus wept" abi? Today, He would outright faint angry
  Kai! I felt the shockwaves from that lashing  grin  Nuclearboy, no make them vex you too much ehn. But that "I am greater than John" quote was really . . . just wow . . . may God have mercy.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 14, 2010
is joagbaje claiming to be a christian?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 6:42pm On Apr 14, 2010
^claiming? lol, David what planet do you live on? Pasitor Jo Agbaje is a well known pastor of CEC here on NL.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-423566.0.html
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 14, 2010
JeSoul:

^claiming? lol, David what planet do you live on? Pasitor Jo Agbaje is a well known pastor of CEC here on NL.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-423566.0.html

Oh yeah that's what i thought. He's a CEC pastor not a christian. those two are mutually exclusive.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 6:52pm On Apr 14, 2010
Joagbaje said the sin is still there but , repercussion is withheld

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yeepa!!!!
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 6:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
JeSoul:

. . . so in effect, you have re-defined the word "remission" to mean "taking away of the sinful nature"?
I got news for you oga.

Remission of sin = Forgiveness of sin.
"Forgiveness" wipes sin as though it never existed in the same way "Remission" does.

It would appear you're trying to create a seperate class or levels of "forgiveness":
Those whose sin nature have been "Remitted" > Those whose sins have merely been "Forgiven" - where is your scripture for this one?

The usual word games they play.
`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master -- that's all.'

Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 7:00pm On Apr 14, 2010
sad I'm really tired of all this soft-soap claims at Christianity like it's voodoo, politics or a fairy-tale. They're really giving my Father's work a bad name. But that's off-topic anyway.

Edit: I refer to stuff like Blessings Blessings Blessings, never a Sacrifice: it's for milk-bibbers; say the magic words and control the mythical fates; some of us are greater than others (like how the disciples argued when they didn't know better); buy your destiny with a seed of cash : sow into your godfather's another man's established destiny so you can be established too; partisan views like: only my teacher understands what Christ meant by this etc etc
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 9:20pm On Apr 14, 2010
davidylan:

Oh yeah that's what i thought. He's a CEC pastor not a christian. those two are mutually exclusive.

grin Now I know why you won Poster of the year!

@Jesoul,

My revered sister, this re-defining is actually a small part of it. Don't forget their "daddy" said Stephen was killed because he didn't know God enough. When the Bible says "call no man on earth your father", I take that to mean God is "daddy" Once another person then is given that tag, you've named your "god" and his "word" must be numero uno! And in this "god's" word (the HOLY ROR) remission is diffferent from forgiveness.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Feraz(m): 9:45pm On Apr 14, 2010
Sorry for going off topic but this is what i keep on telling people. After sermon in church, take your bible and read further. This is why you hear people saying my pastor said this, mx pastor said that, cant you for once hear from God yourself?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by away4real(m): 12:26am On Apr 15, 2010
nuclearboy:

grin Now I know why you won Poster of the year!

@Jesoul,

My revered sister, this re-defining is actually a small part of it. Don't forget their "daddy" said Stephen was killed because he didn't know God enough. When the Bible says "call no man on earth your father", I take that to mean God is "daddy" Once another person then is given that tag, you've named your "god" and his "word" must be numero uno! And in this "god's" word (the HOLY ROR) remission is diffferent from forgiveness.

@ nuclearboy, i also find it funny and amazing all the "daddy" and "papa" talk so really I find it patronizing and just meant for people to feel good with themselves.

But then can you please explain what Paul meant in this 2 scriptures: Titus 1:4, 1 Timothy 1: 2
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by KunleOshob(m): 11:06am On Apr 15, 2010
davidylan:

is joagbaje claiming to be a christian?

Nope he doesn't claim to be a christian, he claims to be a "god".
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 5:58pm On Apr 15, 2010
InesQor:

Joagbaje said the sin is still there but , repercussion is withheld

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Yeepa!!!!

what are you yepaiing about ? The atonement only cover sin but does not wash sin away . It expires and has to be renewed yearly. It is the blood of Jesus that washed away sin and eliminate it completely.

Heb 10:4
For [it is] not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 9:03pm On Apr 15, 2010
Joagbaje:

what are you yepaiing about ? The [size=16pt]atonement[/size] only cover sin but does not wash sin away . It expires and has to be renewed yearly. It is the blood of Jesus that washed away sin and eliminate it completely.

Heb 10:4
For [it is] not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

^^^
Stop digging "Pastor". You need to go back to bible study. Seems you are confused about the basics of the Christian faith.
Rom 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the [size=16pt]atonement[/size].
So according to you the Blood of Jesus does not make atonement for our sins? angry
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 9:21pm On Apr 15, 2010
Altheia pls get off my back! You are the confused person.The word used for Atonement in Romans is not the same as OT in meaning. I don't want issues with you because you are not a discussant but a typical Nigerian street fighter without fruits of the spirit.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2010
Joagbaje:

Altheia pls get off my back! You are the confused person.The word used for Atonement in Romans is not the same as OT in meaning. I don't want issues with you because you are not a discussant but a typical Nigerian street fighter without fruits of the spirit.
Pastor, can you please explain how this can be so? And can you also point out how many other words mean one thing in the OT and another in the NT . . . maybe "blood" or "spirit" or "die" or "God" have different meanings under the different dispensations?

Also Aletheia is not on your back now. He just wants you to explain biblically the things you are asserting here. Please do oblige him.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 9:32pm On Apr 15, 2010
@Jesoul:

You want a "god" to answer to a man? Have you fogotten that platforms differ? One is arguing from ROR and the other from the ordinary Bible - agreement can never be found!

Another problem you can solve for me, Jesoul is to let me know - where can I learn to read Aramaic, Hebrew and Old Greek? I hate being an illiterate when it comes to "the original revelation knowledge meanings of the words" in scripture. Be a good sis and point me in the right direction
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by JeSoul(f): 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Jesoul:

You want a "god" to answer to a man? Have you fogotten that platforms differ? One is arguing from ROR and the other from the ordinary Bible - agreement can never be found!
  Lol "ordinary bible" kai! na so e don reach?

Another problem you can solve for me, Jesoul is to let me know - where can I learn to read Aramaic, Hebrew and Old Greek? I hate being an illiterate when it comes to "the original revelation knowledge meanings of the words" in scripture. Be a good sis and point me in the right direction
Nuclearboy, honestly, these past few days you have been cracking me up  grin I must thank you sincerely for the good laughs. Na me you dey ask for "greenk and amamaic and hinbrew"?  grin oga, you suppose find Viaro or InesQor. Me, na only English I sabi. Even when them tell me say my name close to the Hebrew word for 'blood' I reply say "oh okay, dats cool" and waka go.

I have hardly scratched the surface, barely grasped the rudimentary concept, scarcely began to comprehend the greatest commandment "to love God with all my heart, soul and mind and to love my neighbor as myself" - when I finish understanding that one, I go go learn greek and hebrew. So keep those website links when you get them aight.

Anyways sha . . . these might be useful: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm AND http://www.greekbible.com/  I've missed road ended up there a few times in a misguided effort to "get the true meaning" of some words  grin
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 10:38pm On Apr 15, 2010
@Joagbaje: Im sorry to burst your bubble but I was going to give the exact same reply as aletheia gave above. Please reply as you can.

@Aletheia: Thanks sir.

@JeSoul / nuclearboy: LOL you guys are funny. I can recommend a really great Bible Software, and it's free.

It is actually illegal to sell e-sword copies, as legally declared by the programmer who released it smiley

http://www.e-sword.net

"The sword of the Lord with an electronic edge". It comes with many tools that will facilitate such purposes as you indicated.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Image123(m): 7:24am On Apr 16, 2010
My Lord and my God! I'm FLABBERGASTED
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 16, 2010
@ enigma,

hmm, dont know what to say simply because i dont understand whats being said here. well for me i think i've been doing better since i stoped going to circus show in the church about 8 years ago.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 9:11am On Apr 16, 2010
Enitan 'me dear bredren'

Nice to see you here - again! It's not such a big deal if you are not going to church at the moment. It is more important that you keep holding on to the most crucial things --- placing your belief and trust in God Almighty and in Jesus His only begotten son; spend time to study Jesus' words and strive to follow His teachings as best as you can, the rest will eventually fall into place.

By the way, I still come to the FTA thread except that I only post occasionally.

smiley
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuella2(f): 9:29am On Apr 16, 2010
Enigma:

Enitan 'me dear bredren'

Nice to see you here - again! It's not such a big deal if you are not going to church at the moment. It is more important that you keep holding on to the most crucial things --- placing your belief and trust in God Almighty and in Jesus His only begotten son; spend time to study Jesus' words and strive to follow His teachings as best as you can, the rest will eventually fall into place.

By the way, I still come to the FTA thread except that I only post occasionally.

smiley

Your brother has not gone to church in 8yrs. Why dont you invite him to the church you attend or you dont attend church services too. To fellowship with other brethren is very important and vital. Even Jesus did that regularly also the apostles like Paul.

Acts 17:1-2
    Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: [2] And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

We are admonished not to forsake the assembly of believers.

Hebrews 10:25
    Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 9:58am On Apr 16, 2010
nuella2

Do you know who said the following:

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

EDIT as I want to modify my tone.

OK, fellowshipping with brethren is right and good but it does not have to be in "church". If one's faith is being threatened because of what one sees and hears in "church", it may be better to meet with a smaller group of brethren.

I cannot invite Enitan to my "church" because he lives in Naija and I live, most of the time, in the UK.

Apology for my initial jumpy response.

smiley
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuella2(f): 10:25am On Apr 16, 2010
@ Enigma

Even if two or three christians that gather for fellowship, they are to grow. Is not a village meeting, if they know what they are doin, they will certainly go out and preach the gospel to people. So lets say they bring in two converts every month, before the end of the year they will have atleast 24 members added to them. Members were added to the the early church daily, so the gathering should not just be a bible discussion class and eat meat pie without preaching the gospel. Such a gathering is unfruitful. My point is even if they start small in ten years time they will not be small, unless the gathering is for critics who do no work but only talk about whats wrong in other gatherings.  Personally i cant be part of a group that do not atleast go out to preach the gospel once a month. Then what is the gathering for?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by away4real(m): 11:08am On Apr 16, 2010
nuella2:

@ Enigma

Even if two or three christians that gather for fellowship, they are to grow. Is not a village meeting, if they know what they are doin, they will certainly go out and preach the gospel to people. So lets say they bring in two converts every month, before the end of the year they will have atleast 24 members added to them. Members were added to the the early church daily, so the gathering should not just be a bible discussion class and eat meat pie without preaching the gospel. Such a gathering is unfruitful. My point is even if they start small in ten years time they will not be small, unless the gathering is for critics who do no work but only talk about whats wrong in other gatherings. Personally i cant be part of a group that do not atleast go out to preach the gospel once a month. Then what is the gathering for?

Hmm, rightly said sis.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Image123(m): 12:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
@all. To start with, pardon me for I'll like to rewind back to some of the things earlier said on this thread about being born again and 'decisionism'.
I want to say that METHODs of evangelism may differ, but the MESSAGE remains the same. There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with inviting people to make a decision to follow Christ. What then is the purpose of evangelism? Is it not to WIN souls and to TURN many to righteousness? What then? Notwithstanding, EVERY WAY, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, AND WILL rejoice.
We should outgrow this 'Jesus did not preach with a glass pulpit' mentality.
Why will you receive power to witness after that the holy ghost is come upon you?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Image123(m): 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2010
We read of Dwight Moody's mistake in 1871 before the great Chicago fire. He was preaching to a large audience and ended by saying 'Now I give you a week to think that over. When we come together again, you'll have opportunity to respond'. Not long afterwards, the meeting was drowned by sirens in the street. The great Chicago fire had started. Hundreds died. Some who heard Moody's message died in the fire. Well, Moody never made that mistake again in his life. Did Jesus not sometimes spur people to immediate decisions? Maybe you should read about the call of the disciples. My kjv Bible describes it as 'straightway'.
How is it said that on the day of pentecost, Peter testified and EXHORTED with many words? How did they know the same day that about 3000 souls were added. Why does Jesus stand at the door and knock asking any man to open? Why did Paul say after preaching to some in Acts 28v28 that the salvation of God is sent unto the gentiles, and that they will hear it? They didn't make the decisions Paul expected and he wasn't funny with them. Why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Obrigado Song (lyrics) By Solly Mahlangu (with English Translation) / Is It A Sin To Begin January 1 Drinking In A Bar? / As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.