Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

What It Means To Be "born Again"! - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What It Means To Be "born Again"! (15905 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Declares 100 Days Fasting & Prayer-It Means A Lot For 2014 / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2010
Enigma,

Enigma:

Until you deal with Jesus' words about a person has to be born again to be in God's kingdom and that people will sit with Abraham in God's kingdom, nothing you have to say is worth thinking about.

I didnt get to see the post earlier. Abraham and the father's of faith are in the kingdom . I will respond in a moment
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 2:19pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Joagbaje & nuella.
As I see it you make the mistake of restricting the power of Christ's sacrifice to the years of after the crucifixion. But the scriptures are clear that Christ sacrifice transcends all of time and eternity.
Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
1 Co 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
Who drank from the spiritual Rock that is Christ? Was it before or after Christ's death.

As rightly pointed out to you earlier, both OT & NT saints are justified by faith in Jesus. We look back in time towards the atoning sacrifice of Jesus. They looked forward in time. Look at this verse:
John 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
The old testament is filled with types that pointed the way towards Christ. . .e.g. the passover Lamb.

Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 2:29pm On Apr 21, 2010
@InesQor
The difference between being born again and being saved is simple. God has standard of righteousness in different dispensations. The law has its starndard of righteousness. that is salvation according to OT standard.But that is not a born again experience. There's another set of people that were neighter under law nor under grace. Like our great, great great, grand fathers in the flesh who never had opportunity to know the gospel. Will they be saved? They will be judged by another standard, their conscience. Some of them will be saved. But that doesnt me they are born again.

Romans 2:12-15
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; [13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. [14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: [15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one anotherwink
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 2:50pm On Apr 21, 2010
Altheia ,
The fact that they drank from rock (Christ) did not mean jesus was that rock, It was merely figirative as parts of types and shaddows of the OT. I can give you others.

jacob had a revelation that sybolised Christ
Genesis 28:11-12
And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. [12] And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

John 1:51
And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

The brassen serpent moses lifted was a type of Christ. It was a shaddow of Christ on the cross.

Hebrews 8:5
Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

Hebrews 10:1
For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Ive not read your post thoroughly, If I do I will give proper response
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:58pm On Apr 21, 2010
[size=13pt]To be '' Born again''~~ mean to be '' Born -a- gay'' . cheesy cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Image123(m): 3:15pm On Apr 21, 2010
Thank God I got born again before reading this thread.
Jesus! Even St. Peter would not understand some of these 'scholarship'
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 3:27pm On Apr 21, 2010
[size=13pt]i hiss in satanic. . . .! sad[/size]
Image123:

Thank God I got born again before reading this thread.
Jesus! Even St. Peter would not understand some of these 'scholarship'
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 3:31pm On Apr 21, 2010
@aletheia: Thanks for that diagram sir, and the explanation. THAT is exactly what I have been trying to explain to Joagbaje.

@Joagbaje: Bros na wa o. Now you are saying that Christ was NOT the rock, etc etc in OPPOSITION to the clear scriptures. This is going too far.
By the way, God's standard of righteousness has NEVER changed. Not one bit.

@Ogaga4luv: Don't be a pest, bro. We are having a discussion here. wink
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 5:32pm On Apr 21, 2010
1 Cor 10:4 says "And that Rock was Christ" but ROR says it was not Jesus. So who is/was Christ?

These people preach that the spiritual controls the physical, decree into the Spirit world and "demand" God fulfill their spiritual desires INTO the physical yet cannot understand and accept that the Lamb was "slain from the foundation of the World" and that this fact was "evidenced" when it became physical? Yet we, possessing milk teeth (or no teeth as joagbaje would have us believe) can understand the concept.

Anyway, its not tithes and first fruits so you can't know anything about this matter. Come to think of it, even the tithe and first fruit you preach is false anyway so why should your take on this (to you) "strange matter" have any sense in it?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2010
Form and Definition: Necessities of the Christian Faith

Vital to the life of the Christian is the need to know, understand and articulate the truths they believe. In this Postmodern age in which we live, the growing lawlessness of society has infiltrated the Church, either through Antinomianism or Heterodoxy, seemingly clothed in the garbs of Orthodoxy.

Of a truth, not all that is written in the Bible is doctrine; but in the same fashion, not all that is outside of the Bible is a danger to faith. It is important that modern day believers think critically about their faith and the underlying foundations upon which it is built. The Digital Age in which we live has become one of the darkest hours in Church History (and by extension the World History) with more biblical illiteracy and (resurrected) false doctrine than ever before.

Commonly overlooked is the fact that our worship is a reflection of our beliefs. If we listen to religious music with doctrinally shallow or unbiblical lyrics, it reflects our shallow or unbiblical understanding of God (and reinforces it). One cannot worship what one does not know and one’s worship is only limited by the knowledge of the object of one’s worship. Not just for ourselves - but for the generation ahead of us, Scripture calls us to mature in faith and grow in grace. We can learn such from the memorable rebuke given by the author of the book of Hebrews to his dispirited audience:

“About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil”. – Hebrews 5:11-14

There is no way to escape the fact that Christianity has always had a distinguishable and consistent form and definition. The Church is called the Pillar and Buttress of truth (1 Timothy 3:15) and whenever professing Christians take lightly or disregard the form and definition of the historic Christian, faith they are casting aside their birthright as being the salt and light of the earth as well. It is imperative that we do not move the ancient landmarks set by our forefathers (Proverbs 22:28), but that we look back at them so that we do not repeat the mistakes of the past and continue to avoid the pitfalls that they eluded by God’s grace.

Tradition, Liturgy and Religion have been words frowned upon by many modern Protestants, however Tradition, Liturgy and Religion have all been clearly defined words used by the saints that have gone before us. The Bible does not condemn all forms of tradition; however our traditions should not overthrow the authority of Scripture but should be firmly rooted in what the Bible clearly teaches and point us back to Scripture. Innovation and spontaneity are not biblical yardsticks for godliness or evidences of true spirituality. Furthermore it is beneficial for us to examine how past tradition has benefited the saints that have gone before us and why we should or should not abandon it.

In the attempt to seem separate from the varying belief systems in the world, many professing Christians have claimed that Christianity is not a religion, however by proper definition it is.; however if religion can be defined as a strong belief in a deity and a defined institution in which one expresses devotion to that deity, then Christianity can be accurately defined as a religion. Biblical Christianity operates by a system, a divine order by which its inherent nature consists. Oh how sad it is when a church operates on a theologically shallow statements of faith! They leave the door wide open for all kinds of imaginable errors!

Some argue that Christianity is about relationship, one with the triune God of the Scriptures. However, any relationship that is vertical in nature, with special reference to a deity makes it more than just a relationship. In attempts to escape the banner of “religion” or “tradition” often times people make traditions of their untraditional approaches to spirituality and religions of their non-religious activities.

Without such order, Christianity would have no form or definition. Regardless of the popular opinion that “God moves in spite of” – we cannot elude the fact that God has a distinguishable personality, particular preferences and clear means by which he operates. It is naive for us to think that God is only concerned about the transmission of His message and not the people who proclaim or hear the message. We cannot use God’s sovereignty and providence to allow us to be lax or negligent in our approach to matters of faith. It has been said:

“The type of religion which rejoices in the pious sound of traditional phrases, regardless of their meanings, or shrinks from “controversial” matters, will never stand amid the shocks of life. In the sphere of religion, as in other spheres, the things about which men are agreed are apt to be the things that are least worth holding; the really important things are the things about which men will fight”. - (J. Gresham Machen, Christianity & Liberalism, 1923)

Christians of today must be mindful not to misrepresent Christianity as a subjective, self-serving, existential journey into epistemological oblivion. There is order, structure and from to the tenets of the Christian faith. Attitudes that cast shadows of doubt upon or made light of the objective tenets of the Christian faith were rejected by the saints of the past; observe the following quote from the 6th article of the second section (of Negative Theses) on Free Will in the Epitome of the Formula of Concord:

"Also, we reject and condemn the error of the Enthusiasts, who imagine that God without means, without the hearing of God's Word, also without the use of the holy Sacraments, draws men to Himself, and enlightens, justifies, and saves them. (Enthusiasts we call those who expect the heavenly illumination of the Spirit [celestial revelations] without the preaching of God's Word.)”

Even today, there are many who go to Church, concerts or special conventions and expect a “move of God” without sound biblical preaching or teaching. In fact, a “move of God” in many churches today is defined by a seemingly hyper-spiritual, emotional ordeal with high-energy music, in which they expect to see people to be rolling on the floor, shivering, talking in “tongues”, engaged in holy laughter, ecstatic dance, spontaneous prophecy and all the other unbiblical phenomena associated with the Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement. The Church should not practice or preach things that are not biblically defined, anti-intellectual and detract from the sober-mindedness believers must possess to operate in a godly fashion.

We must use Christian doctrine in accordance with the purpose in which it was created – to be adhered to, for our edification and benefit; to reprove us and instruct us in the ways of righteousness; to tell us more about the creator of the universe is. As the scripture tells us in Psalm 11:3 “…if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?” - truly indeed what can we do if we do away with the foundations of our faith and the history in which it is so deeply intertwined?

When a glass is broken, it no longer holds the volume of liquid it was intended to and it becomes a danger due to its change in form. It would be careless to put oneself at the risk of physical harm by drinking from a severely broken glass. Even if the glass has been cracked, it would only be matter of time before it eventually falls apart. In the same fashion, deconstructing, arbitrarily fragmenting and breaking the unity of the precious doctrines of the Christian faith is also a grave danger to those to take away and add to the holy faith once delivered unto the saints for all time. Just as a glass is delicate and defined, so we must handle eternal truths with great care.

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. – Proverbs 30:5-6
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 6:45pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Joagbaje & nuella2:
Let me try to shed some more light on the Essence of the person of Christ as I have come to understand it.

From the very beginning to the end, Christ the Son of God, in whom dwells the fullness of the Godhead, has been, is, and will be present and remains the ONLY way to the Father. But even in the physical, Christ has always been there, and in many more revelations than as a man. He was the lamb slain from before the world's foundations.

In the OT, Christ was typified from the instance of the initial covering of the unclothedness of Adam and Eve, to Abel's pure sacrifice, to the ark of Noah's baptism, to the promise that Abraham received, etc etc into aspects of the law like the passover and atonement, the Rock of water, the Manna of heaven, the Serpent that was hung for healing, etc etc.

According to God's promise to avenge Eve (since satan got man down, a man had to conquer him in return), the last typification of Christ on earth was as a man, the man Jesus Christ. This man-clothed God referred to himself using these various typifications that earlier represented him in the Old Testament. But for that they sought to kill him. They never sought to abolish the passover for instance, or discredit Noah's ark, or say the manna was just a myth! This is the stubbornness of human hearts, because they saw him like them in the flesh. They never once realized Christ had always been there. Abraham rejoiced to see his day, before Abraham was, Christ is.

The very same faith with which Noah built an ark is the same faith with which one confesses Jesus Christ as Lord. Their reward of being "Born Again" is equal. Their salvation is equal. None is superior to the other.

For the same reason, I believe there may be people today who never heard of the man Jesus but are "Born again", i.e. Born from Above because God communicated Christ to them the same way he communicated Christ to Noah, Enoch, Abraham, David and other OT saints.

I believe it is wrong to claim a monopoly on the Christ for us just because we know him in the flesh. There are those who knew him in essence before His revelation in the flesh, and their faith was imputed unto them as righteousness. Just like yours was imputed too, when you got born again by faith in Christ become flesh.

Faith in Christ is what makes one born again.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by ttalks(m): 7:15pm On Apr 21, 2010
I might be wrong but I do have a feeling that Joagbaje and nuella think being born again takes place when some body says:

"Lord Jesus, come into my heart. I accept you as Lord & saviour, "

and other stuff like that.
Maybe without saying that, a person is not born again.

As Inesqor rightly put above, being born again comes about by putting one's faith/having faith in Jesus Christ.

The lip confession above isn't what gets one saved, but the belief in the person and work of Christ.
It is an inner conversion of the person's mindset and personality to the truths of Jesus Christ.
This can take place within the twinkling of an eye when the person's heart is tuned to Christ after coming to the knowledge of his truth;
it does not require a prayer as some feel must be.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 7:23pm On Apr 21, 2010
Jesus put it even better. He said "born of the water and of the Spirit" i.e. born of God whether you call Him Father, Son or Spirit!

BTW, saying (confession) that I am a cadillac doesn't make me one so "Lord Jesus, come into my heart. I accept you as Lord & saviour" means "jack" when you are the same old person and your best friend remains greed, lies and manipulation!
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 9:30pm On Apr 21, 2010
[size=13pt]Ok sir. . .let's continue on our discussion. smiley[/size]
InesQor:

@aletheia: Thanks for that diagram sir, and the explanation. THAT is exactly what I have been trying to explain to Joagbaje.
@Ogaga4luv: Don't be a pest, bro. We are having a discussion here. wink
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 2:41pm On Apr 22, 2010
In the interest of making peace with the WoFers and for the education of all of us, here is a useful piece. Obviously we can agree or disagree with parts or all of it according to our own understanding.

The Holy Spirit: Old Testament and Today by R. C. Sproul

The Holy Spirit: Old Testament and Today by R. C. Sproul

What was the role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament?

The role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament was not principally different from the role of the Holy Spirit in the New
Testament. While there are some differences, there's an essential unity between the two Testaments.

The Holy Spirit was active in many ways in Old Testament times. First and foremost was the Trinity's part of the work of
creation. In the act of creation itself, the Father, the Son, and the Spirit were all involved. The Spirit brooded over the
water and brought order and structure out of the yet unordered universe that we find in the opening chapters of Genesis.
People were regenerated in the Old Testament just as they are regenerated in the New Testament, and the one cannot
be regenerated except through the influence of God the Holy Spirit. David needed the regeneration power of God just as
much as the apostle Paul needed it in the New Testament.

We also know that the Spirit was very active charismatically; that is, by gifting certain people in the Old Testament and
equipping them for specific tasks. For example, the king of Israel was anointed with oil, symbolizing his being anointed by
the Holy Spirit to be empowered to carry out his vocation in a godly way. The same was true of priests. The prophets of
Israel, who were agents of revelation, were inspired by God the Holy Spirit and equipped to be the messengers of God to
the people and to give us sacred Scripture in the same basic manner that the apostles in the New Testament were so
endowed and superintended by the Holy Spirit. So we see that the Spirit was active -- regenerating, sanctifying,
preserving, interceding for -- doing all of those things in the Old Testament that he does in the New Testament.

[b]What's the difference? In the Old Testament book of Numbers, when Moses was complaining because the burden of
leading all the people had become so weighty it was about to crush him, he pled for relief from God. God told him to
gather seventy of the elders of Israel in order to take from the Spirit that was upon Moses and distribute it to the seventy
so they could help him lead the people of Israel. That's exactly what the text said happened. God then gave this
charismatic empowering, this special gift, to seventy other people, not just Moses, so that they could all participate in
ministry. That was not regeneration or sanctification, it was an empowering for ministry given only to select individuals.
Moses' prayer was, 'Oh, that all the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!' (Num.
11:29). What Moses prayed for became a prophecy in the pen of the prophet Joel, who said that in the latter days that's
exactly what would happen. And on the day of Pentecost it did happen. The apostle Peter said that it was about this that
Joel was writing, that now the Spirit to empower the church for ministry is given to everybody, not just to the leaders.[/b]

In Galatians 5, Paul makes the statement: 'Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.' It sounds
so simple, but what does it actually mean?

Whenever you see spirit and flesh set side by side in a passage ('the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak' or 'the spirit wars
against the flesh,' as Paul says here), we're talking about, not the warfare between the physical body of man and his internal,
mental, or spiritual inclinations, but rather the conflict that every Christian experiences between his old nature -- his fallen nature,
which is corrupt and is filled with desires that are not pleasing to God - and the new nature within him that has been brought to pass
by the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit.

Now, life becomes complicated once we are renewed by the Holy Spirit (when we become a Christian); now we have two
principles at war within ourselves: the old inclinations and the new inclinations. The old inclination is against God, and the
new inclination is to obey God and to do that which is pleasing to him. In this Galatians passage, Paul discussed the
ongoing battle that all Christians experience. He admonishes us at one point and says, 'Follow the new principle, follow
the new spirit, not the old pattern that was characteristic of your original state of fallenness.' He's not saying that your
physical body is at war with your soul, but that your natural inclinations are at war with the transformation toward which
the Holy Spirit is constantly moving you as a child of God. And that does involve a decision and an act of the will.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by aletheia(m): 3:10pm On Apr 22, 2010

The role of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament was not principally different from the role of the Holy Spirit in the New
Testament. While there are some differences, there's an essential unity between the two Testaments.

I am not sure the other side will agree with you (Joagbaje seems to have gone silent).
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 3:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
Yep, I noticed that too! smiley

Come back Joagbaje, we love you really!!! grin
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 10:43pm On Apr 22, 2010
@InesQor

InesQor:

@Joagbaje & nuella2:
Let me try to shed some more light on the Essence of the person of Christ as I have come to understand it.

From the very beginning to the end, Christ the Son of God, in whom dwells the fullness of the Godhead, has been, is, and will be present and remains the ONLY way to the Father. But even in the physical, Christ has always been there, and in many more revelations than as a man. He was the lamb slain from before the world's foundations.

In the OT, Christ was typified from the instance of the initial covering of the unclothedness of Adam and Eve, to Abel's pure sacrifice, to the ark of Noah's baptism, to the promise that Abraham received, etc etc into aspects of the law like the passover and atonement, the Rock of water, the Manna of heaven, the Serpent that was hung for healing, etc etc.

According to God's promise to avenge Eve (since satan got man down, a man had to conquer him in return), the last typification of Christ on earth was as a man, the man Jesus Christ. This man-clothed God referred to himself using these various typifications that earlier represented him in the Old Testament. But for that they sought to kill him. They never sought to abolish the passover for instance, or discredit Noah's ark, or say the manna was just a myth! This is the stubbornness of human hearts, because they saw him like them in the flesh. They never once realized Christ had always been there. Abraham rejoiced to see his day, before Abraham was, Christ is.

The very same faith with which Noah built an ark is the same faith with which one confesses Jesus Christ as Lord. Their reward of being "Born Again" is equal. Their salvation is equal. None is superior to the other.

For the same reason, I believe there may be people today who never heard of the man Jesus but are "Born again", i.e. Born from Above because God communicated Christ to them the same way he communicated Christ to Noah, Enoch, Abraham, David and other OT saints.

I believe it is wrong to claim a monopoly on the Christ for us just because we know him in the flesh. There arelthose who knew him in essence before His revelation in the flesh, and their faith was imputed unto them as righteousness. Just like yours was imputed too, when you got born again by faith in Christ become flesh.
Faith in Christ is what makes one born again.

I quire agree with most of powerful expositions you rendered.  But i have disagreement with the statements below.

For the same reason
, I believe there may be people today who never heard of the man Jesus but are "Born again", i.e. Born from Above because God communicated Christ to them the same way he communicated Christ to Noah, Enoch, Abraham, David and other OT saints
There are those who knew him in essence before His revelation in the flesh, and their faith was imputed unto them as righteousness. Just like yours was imputed too, when you got born again by faith in Christ become flesh.
Faith in Christ is what makes one born again,

Righteousness under the law is quite different from righteousness in Christ. A man could be called righteous unter the OT because of some righteous act. They became riighteous. but In Christ , a Christ ian is not just a righteous man, he has become the essence of ritghreousness itself. Under OT righteousness, was measurable , e.g "Mr A " is more righteous than "B" but No one is as righteous as God. But in Christ we have thesame righteoisness as God! . We have his nature, his life.

2 Cor. 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

What they had under OT was righteous ness by acts, Righteousness of  man or of the Law, not the righteousness of God!

Romans 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Philip. 3:9
   And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

It is important in the above staement  to know , that Paul already had the righteousness of the Law (saved and born again by your definition.) . So going by your definition, he didnt  need a saviour again. He was already "perfect by the law standard. But he counted it as dung.

All that aside. The major bone of contention is the use of the word "Born again", for the OT folks. IT is  not true,
Man is  aspirit, He died spiritualy, All that came through Adam were spiritually dead as well. Even though they were  worshipppers of God , they were still dead spiritually.

Romans 5:14
   Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Romans 5:12
   Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

It will be worhty to note that this death is not making reference to physical death. We were all born spiritually dead. Remember the  words of Jesus.

Luke 9:60
   Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

Can a dead  man rise up to bury another? certainly not. He was referering to spiritual death. because everyone going for the burial were spiritually dead  even though they were seed of Abraham. This is the reason for receiving life inChrist.

Have you observed that nobody in the OT was filled with the holyghost. ?. You can only recieve the holyghost when you get born again. . When a man recieve Jesus Christ, He is born a new. He is recreated in his spirit. A brand new spirit.

Ezekiel 11:19
   And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Ezekiel 36:26

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

This new spirit ,is the new creation. Nobody had this experience  in OT. We are the first to be born after God with thesame life.
This is a mystery that all the prophets of old never knew.

Ephes. 3:3-21

[3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, [4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) [5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; [6] That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: [7] Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power. [8] Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; [9] And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: [10] To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, [11] According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 10:53pm On Apr 22, 2010
aletheia:

I am not sure the other side will agree with you (Joagbaje seems to have gone silent).

Because of the nature of sin in man's spirit, They could not contain the holyghost is their dead spirit. The holyghost could only come on them, but not dwelling in their spirits like ours.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 7:39

(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 11:06pm On Apr 22, 2010
Pastor Joagbaje, nice to see you back!

First of all you have an unfulfilled promise as below:
Enigma:

Until you deal with Jesus' words about a person has to be born again to be in God's kingdom and that people will sit with Abraham in God's kingdom, nothing you have to say is worth thinking about.

Joagbaje:

Enigma,

I didnt get to see the post earlier. Abraham and the father's of faith are in the kingdom . I will respond in a moment

Sooooo, we are waiting eagerly!

Secondly, regarding this your statement:

Joagbaje:

Because of the nature of sin in man's spirit, They could not contain the holyghost is their dead spirit. The holyghost could only come on them, but not dwelling in their spirits like ours.

If you rethink and refine it a little bit then you will hit the truth. Compare the statement below to your own for example:

From: http://www.gotquestions.org/Spirit-Old-Testament.html

The second aspect of the Spirit’s work in the Old Testament is indwelling, or filling. Here is where the major difference between the Spirit’s roles in the Old and New Testaments is apparent. The New Testament teaches the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit in believers (1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19-20). When we place our faith in Christ for salvation, the Holy Spirit comes to live within us. The Apostle Paul calls this permanent indwelling the “guarantee of our inheritance” (Ephesians 1:13-14). In contrast to this work in the New Testament, the indwelling in the Old Testament was selective and temporary. The Spirit “came upon” such Old Testament people as Joshua (Numbers 27:18), David (1 Samuel 16:12-13) and even Saul (1 Samuel 10:10). In the book of Judges, we see the Spirit “coming upon” the various Judges whom God raised up to deliver Israel from their oppressors. What we can discern from this is that the Holy Spirit came upon these individuals for specific tasks. We also see that the indwelling was a sign of God’s favor upon that individual (in the case of David) and that if God’s favor left an individual, the Spirit would depart (e.g., Saul in 1 Samuel 16:14). Finally, the Spirit “coming upon” an individual doesn’t always indicate that person’s spiritual condition (e.g., Saul, Samson, and many of the Judges). So while in the New Testament the Spirit only indwells believers and that indwelling is permanent, the Spirit indwelled certain Old Testament individuals for a specific task, irrespective of their spiritual condition. Once the task was completed, the Spirit presumably departed from that person.

We may not necessarily agree with everything in the quote but overall I believe that it is more accurate than your statement.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by nuclearboy(m): 6:31am On Apr 23, 2010
^^^

The quote above -

Finally, the Spirit “coming upon” an individual doesn’t always indicate that person’s spiritual condition (e.g., Saul, Samson, and many of the Judges). So while in the New Testament the Spirit only indwells believers and that indwelling is permanent, the Spirit indwelled certain Old Testament individuals for a specific task, irrespective of their spiritual condition.
UNQUOTE

Regarding the bolded part - does indwelling today INDICATE a person's spiritual condition unlike in the OT? Or like in the OT, can a "Saul" remain with the Spirit because God's gifts are wothout repentance?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 7:54am On Apr 23, 2010
First of all we should distinguish between two works of the Spirit. The first is regeneration -- which everyone needs to be "born again".  The second is indwelling of the Spirit ---- which is empowerment to live a spiritual life and for the work to which the Church as a whole is called. {There are obviously other works of the Holy Spirit}

So our focus is on indwelling: my understanding is that because of Pentecost, which had been previously promised in Joel and elsewhere in the Old Testament, the indwelling of the Spirit in the Christian is permanent. The Spirit is always in you. However, that the Spirit is in one does not mean that person cannot choose to ignore Him; that the Spirit is in one does not mean that person cannot choose to be carnal! An example of this is found in Paul's scolding in 1 Corinthians 3: Read him in verses 3 & 4
For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I [am] of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
, then compare him in verse 16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

So what we have is a (constant) war of two natures, the old sin nature (the flesh) and the new spiritual man. See Galatians 5

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Additionally, the war between the two natures is why the epistles repeatedly enjoins "be ye filled with the Spirit"; many experts interprete this something like "keep being filled with the Spirit" or "be continually filled with the Spirit" because of the verb form used in the original language/manuscripts.

Caution: what I have expressed is my own understanding and I will not be totally dogmatic on it. However, there are far more learned people who take a similar stance such as R C Sproul in the piece I quoted in post 238 above.

ETA this link for records' sake: http://bible.org/seriespage/putting-pentecost-perspective-part-1-holy-spirit-old-testament-acts-21-13
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by mabell: 9:12am On Apr 23, 2010
First of all we should distinguish between two works of the Spirit. The first is regeneration -- which everyone needs to be "born again". The second is indwelling of the Spirit ---- which is empowerment to live a spiritual life and for the work to which the Church as a whole is called. {There are obviously other works of the Holy Spirit}

So our focus is on indwelling: my understanding is that because of Pentecost, which had been previously promised in Joel and elsewhere in the Old Testament, the indwelling of the Spirit in the Christian is permanent. The Spirit is always in you. However, that the Spirit is in one does not mean that person cannot choose to ignore Him; that the Spirit is in one does not mean that person cannot choose to be carnal! An example of this is found in Paul's scolding in 1 Corinthians 3: Read him in verses 3 & 4
For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I [am] of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
, then compare him in verse 16
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

So what we have is a (constant) war of two natures, the old sin nature (the flesh) and the new spiritual man. See Galatians 5

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Additionally, the war between the two natures is why the epistles repeatedly enjoins "be ye filled with the Spirit"; many experts interprete this something like "keep being filled with the Spirit" or "be continually filled with the Spirit" because of the verb form used in the original language/manuscripts.

Caution: what I have expressed is my own understanding and I will not be totally dogmatic on it. However, there are far more learned people who take a similar stance such as R C Sproul in the piece I quoted in post 238 above.

@Enigma

the above only supports what joagbaje said.
the people under the old testament could not have the indwelling of the spirit because their spirits were dead since they were not born again
being born again is the regeneration of the holy ghost in the inner man that is the spirit man
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 9:31am On Apr 23, 2010
mabell:

@Enigma
the people under the old testament could not have the indwelling of the spirit because their spirits were dead since they were not born again
being born again is the regeneration of the holy ghost in the inner man that is the spirit man

Seconded, The truth is coming out gradually. InesQo should see the link for a start
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 9:32am On Apr 23, 2010
mabell:

. . .
@Enigma

@mabell

If you notice, my tone to Joagbaje on this point was soft and gentle. Nevertheless, I made it clear that I believe that Joagbaje was not wholly accurate. Consider the following:

Gen 41:38
And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?

Exodus 31

1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:

3And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Deuteronomy 34
And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Numbers 27:18
And the LORD said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him

Isaiah 63 (speaking of Moses)

11Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?

12That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?

13That led them through the deep, as an horse in the wilderness, that they should not stumble?

14As a beast goeth down into the valley, the Spirit of the LORD caused him to rest: so didst thou lead thy people, to make thyself a glorious name.

I hope you can see the difference now? These are men that Jooagbaje says were "dead" and could not have the filling or indwelling of the Spirit; the Bible clearly contradicts Joagbaje on the point.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 9:41am On Apr 23, 2010
mabell:

. . .
@Enigma

In addition to my first reply above: we have made clear that Old Testament saints were born again.

In fact the challenge still remains for Joagbaje (and you or any of his supporters):

How can Abraham be in or enter the kingdom of God, if he was not born again, when Jesus said except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God?
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2010
Enigma.
Concerning your question, I have pondered to know the best approach to it to avoid escalating controversy,  I had said earlier that the the Kindom has 2 parts , The now, and  the world to come.

There is a difference between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of Heaven.

John 3:3
   Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

[color=#990000]Matthew 8:11
And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
[/color]
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 11:39am On Apr 23, 2010
Enigma

Enigma:

In addition to my first reply above: we have made clear that Old Testament saints were born again.

In fact the challenge still remains for Joagbaje (and you or any of his supporters):

How can Abraham be in or enter the kingdom of God, if he was not born again, when Jesus said except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God?

You didnt make anything clear but rather confirmed the fact that the OT folk Could not have the indwelling spirit , and the answer is simple, "They were not born again" Even though they were saved according to the standard of OT salvation.
The LIfe We have in Christ idifferentiate2s us from them. IT is a mystery. The fact that they prophesied about these things does not not mean they partook. A man has to be regenerated in the inner man , to recieve the holyghos . The early apostles belived in Christ but could not recieve the holyghost until the got born again. .Right now They only watch us now from the grandstand They are actualy learning from us, "how can God's life be in a man?"

1 John 5:11-13
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. [12] He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. [13] These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. [/color]
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 12:50pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Joagbaje:
I beg to disagree, sir.

Being born of the Spirit means being Spirit-controlled even in the face of "normal human behaviour". See john 3:7-8 where Jesus compares it to the blowing wind. It is a walk of faith and reliance on God.

The only person in the Bible besides Jesus who spoke of being born again, is Peter in 1 Peter 1:23, and he clearly says that its the incorruptible word of God that makes one born again. Noah received this word of God by faith and it transformed his experience, as much as Saul of Tarsus did. Thus both are as born again as each other.

The only difference in aspect is that the Spirit filled OT saints selectively, while for NT saints there is no partial selectivity across persons, times and purposes. They still have one thing in common though, the Spirit will not move against your faith in God and reliance on His Word.

As usual, I now present an analogy just because I like using them to explain my points. cheesy

A wealthy king travelled but before he did, he called his subjects and issued them IOU papers (I owe you) in the name of the King so that when he returns he can pay back on the IOUs. If he had been around, his seal would be necessary to get money from the treasury. So in his absence, the subjects continued their business ON THE FAITH that He would be true to His word and pay back all the IOUs when he gets back. They used his seal to get business done, even though they were looking FORWARD to the actual availability of the seal.

There was one limitation though, and that was the fact that according to your ability and your role in the King's court, your IOU was for a particular aspect of commerce and it was written in YOUR name. You could not be a kitchen worker and use the IOU to get shoes for your new wife. If the loving king was around, you could approach him and ask him for that even though you are a kitchen worker, and you will get it. In essence, the fullness of value was promisory in nature and there was no liberty of purpose. But then the King returned and he brought his Seal with him. Nobody had to use IOUs again, but now value was received by looking BACK at the arrival of the seal, the same way his subjects that used IOUs looked forward to the arrival. None are better than the other, although the former ones worked with much less to obtain the very much same life.

The Seal is the Holy Spirit, the seal was available by proxy to the OT saints via IOUs issued while waiting for the King, Christ, to be born on earth. They looked forward as we look backwards but as Peter said, its the very same word of God that makes us Born Again.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Joagbaje(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2010
@ InesQor

InesQor:

@Joagbaje:
I beg to disagree, sir.

Being born of the Spirit means being Spirit-controlled even in the face of "normal human behaviour". See john 3:7-8 where Jesus compares it to the blowing wind. It is a walk of faith and reliance on God.

The only person in the Bible besides Jesus who spoke of being born again, is Peter in 1 Peter 1:23, and he clearly says that its the incorruptible word of God that makes one born again. Noah received this word of God by faith and it transformed his experience, as much as Saul of Tarsus did. Thus both are as born again as each other.

On the contrary being born again is in several scriptures both old and new testament, It means to be recreated , regenerated, born of God, Eternal life.etc.
To mention few scriptures,

Psalm 102:16-18
When the Lord shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory. [17] He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. [18] This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord.

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Galatians 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

To be born again is actually a rebirth of the new man. When a man receives eternal life. He is a completely new person.

The only difference in aspect is that the Spirit filled OT saints selectively, while for NT saints there is no partial selectivity across persons, times and purposes. They still have one thing in common though, the Spirit will not move against your faith in God and reliance on His Word.

. None are better than the other, although the former ones worked with much less to obtain the very much same life.

The Seal is the Holy Spirit, the seal was available by proxy to the OT saints via IOUs issued while waiting for the King, Christ, to be born on earth. They looked forward as we look backwards but as Peter said, its the very same word of God that makes us Born Again.

InesQor,
Men were saved by works in the Old Testament, and not by faith in Christ. They were judged according to the law. . Every Jew knew that messiah was coming, According to your illustration, every jew should be saved, because from childhood ,they were taught about the messiah. But salvation was not based on this, Thier salvation was based on their obedience to jewish law. .especially keeping away from other gods. and other jewish laws. It has no connection with faith in Christ. Their salvation was not by faith but of works. How much laws you obey, "I better pass my neighbour". The law kept isreal until faith came. faith only came after Jesus died.

Galatians 3:21-25
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. [22] But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
[23] But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by InesQor(m): 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Joagbaje: Bros you did not read my submission properly, or else maybe I didn't express myself clearly!!!! 

I said the term "Born Again" was only used TWICE by Christ and once by Peter. Nowhere else. Those other verses infer a new birth, but don't mention "Born Again". Since you say that salvation is not the same as being Born Again, I had to discuss using the exact verses that mentioned BORN AGAIN, and show that it was a matter of reliance on God and Beliving on His Word by Faith that sets one apart as being born again. Thus, Noah who received and applied God's Word is as much Born again as King David and the apostle Peter

Agreed, the Law was the rule in the OT but there were people who lived by Faith all the same. Hebrews 11 lists them.

I don't think you understood my post above, and I do not wish to argue with you.

Stay blessed.
Re: What It Means To Be "born Again"! by Enigma(m): 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
Joagbaje:

Enigma.
Concerning your question, I have pondered to know the best approach to it to avoid escalating controversy,  I had said earlier that the the Kindom has 2 parts , The now, and  the world to come.

There is a difference between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of Heaven.

John 3:3
   Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

[color=#990000]Matthew 8:11
    And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
[/color]

Joagbaje

Thanks for the effort, I honestly appreciate it. Back to the issue at hand, you felt into a trap that I thought you had spotted. Here, let's try again:

Jesus' words in John 3:3

Jesus' words in Luke 13:28

. . .  when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God . . .

Do you want to try again?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Obrigado Song (lyrics) By Solly Mahlangu (with English Translation) / Is It A Sin To Begin January 1 Drinking In A Bar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.