Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? (16681 Views)

I'm Not Marrying Her: How DO I End This Relationship, All My Trap Has Faild Me / Her In-Law Advises Me Against Marrying Her / Lady Gives Her Boyfriend Ultimatum To Propose Or She Walks Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by passyhansome(m): 10:07pm On Jan 26, 2018
hhu
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by guru90: 10:12pm On Jan 26, 2018
yes, it is compulsory oooooh
First Ring (Engagement ring)
second ring ( Wedding Ring)

Misson Completed!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by dynamic006(m): 10:13pm On Jan 26, 2018
Eddodoh:

Guy, u need 2 propose. Follow procedures.

Look here: u toast b4 dating, u date 4 a certain time, 'u propose marriage'.

Cos it's one thing to date & it's another to marry. More so, some people are good at dating but not good or prepare for marriage.

This same drama happens when u think u are already dating a lady because u toasted her, she hasn't give u a positive response. Then, she visit & u want to get down with her. She would tell u that she hasn't agree to date u, not to talk of getting down.

Marriage is a project. A project is any activity or something that has a beginning & an end. It involved interrelated activities & inputs to bring out d desired result.

So, do the needful!

P.S: On another different issue. I have being trying to reach u so as to have a chat with u but u ain't on Whatsapp nor respond to my pm.

Here is my digit: zero-7-zero-3-seven-8-seven-9-three-9-six

It's important!
The purpose of dating Is to know each mother more before marriage.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by chineduemmao: 10:18pm On Jan 26, 2018
No just give her belle and all ur problems are over u no go even need pay bride price... Mpama!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Jaymaxxy(m): 10:19pm On Jan 26, 2018
Naija girls sef
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Noblefreeman(m): 10:20pm On Jan 26, 2018
ask buhari
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by londoner: 10:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
afolayangs:
oga. we are in global age where we copy what's happening outside our culture..... . ladies like to keep memories alive so kindly do the needful. it will only cost you 2 things. May be 20k and humility.

In 'our' culture there is formal courting and asking parents for their daughters hand.

In 'our' culture you would go to the woman's compound with your elders/representatives with the fact you are interested in marriage and she would publicly say yes or no.

What happens inside our culture is much more public and formal...and expensive.

If you don't formally ask, she has not formally accepted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by nextstep(m): 10:22pm On Jan 26, 2018
So... how do you tell a lady you want to marry her?

The alternative is you just setup the wedding, tell your people, tell her people to keep it secret, and drag her to it unwittingly? I don't get...
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by chigoizie7(m): 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2018
Hmmmm, if na because of proposals go make una no marry, bros free her.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Deo1986(m): 10:27pm On Jan 26, 2018
MiaB:
Prior to the 20th century, engagement didn’t exist
except for the very richest people, which
means that the vast majority of brides up
until 1948 didn’t feel they were necessary.
DeBeers popularized the concept of the
diamond engagement ring with the “A
Diamond Is Forever"
but since marriage has existed for millennia,
70 years doesn’t cut it for me to consider it a
long-standing cultural phenomenon that
you could really call a “tradition.”
Therefore it's not Compulsory
Depends on how you define engagement.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by linearity: 10:28pm On Jan 26, 2018
nextstep:
So... how do you tell a lady you want to marry her?

The alternative is you just setup the wedding, tell your people, tell her people to keep it secret, and drag her to it unwittingly? I don't get...

I don’t thing that is the case here.

From the writup, the lady is aware of the up coming wedding and they both are preparing towards it.

He must have pop the question about wanting to marry her informly and casually and the lady must have agreed, given the fact that she is preparing for the marriage.

Her beef seem to be that, there was no formal marriage and most likely, no ring.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by louken(m): 10:28pm On Jan 26, 2018
I did not propose to my wife before marrying her and we are very much enjoying our marriage now. We were dating and things were moving fine and I was becoming convinced that she is the woman for me; I casually told her that I would like to marry her. She probably didn't think I was serious. I bought some drinks and went straight to their house and declared my intention. Na there we fixed date o and preparations started. No time for proposal or engagement ring

6 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Deo1986(m): 10:30pm On Jan 26, 2018
What if she propose?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by nextstep(m): 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2018
FromZeroToHero:
I recently had a little quarrel with my fiancee and she said I'm making her to have double mind over our forthcoming wedding. She even said that she can remember that I never asked her to marry me which means I did not propose her which is true. Is it mandatory that a guy must propose to a woman before marriage?

Nothing is mandatory oh... but there are expectations from her and her peers... it's up to you to choose which battles you want to fight, and which ones you want to lose so you'll have peace. This one is a very easy one: propose, get on one knee, give ring, etc so she can shame her enemies grin
It's not too late and you can still make it romantic, so she'll have something to boast to her friends and tell her kids.

At least you won't have spent time arguing about it or reading our responses on Nairaland. wink
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by nextstep(m): 10:41pm On Jan 26, 2018
linearity:

I don’t thing that is the case here.

From the writup, the lady is aware of the up coming wedding and they both are preparing towards it.

He must have pop the question about wanting to marry her informly and casually and the lady must have agreed, given the fact that she is preparing for the marriage.

Her beef seem to be that, there was no formal marriage and most likely, no ring.

Oh ok... heh, he made his bed already and must now lie in it.

This what I say to guys all the time... if you don't want this to be a point of argument everytime you do something unrelated (like leave your socks outside to dry, or add extra salt to your soup) just fulfill her expectations. Basically, if you try to shortcut the proposal/marriage/knee thing... it will come back to disturb you in very unexpected ways. This is a case of dot your I and cross your T.

Even if your wife/fiancee is OK with it... by the time she hears her peers gushing how Tony got on bended knee for Tope, or she reads in several magazines, or on Nairaland... something will start worrying her. Forget that other guys say they didn't do a formal proposal. Do your own, and at least, you can remove that as a source of quarrel for the rest of your life.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Lorechino(m): 10:46pm On Jan 26, 2018
WHAT I LUV MOST IS YOUR ENGLISH grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by kulrunsman79(m): 11:03pm On Jan 26, 2018
Propose for her on the day of the wedding before the priest and the entire congregation.....
Nothing could be more romantic
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 26, 2018
What do expect when many ladies are desperate

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Rigel95(m): 11:11pm On Jan 26, 2018
shey you want to hear the truth?

That you proposed does not mean she couldn't back out at any time she pleases-and vice-versa. Come to think of it, Why did she go ahead with the marriage plans with you in the first place, if a formal proposal was highest on her priority list?

I think she senses you are a weak man that can be threatened or blackmailed into fulfilling all of her whims and caprices. This is the kind of woman that can threaten to abort your child after a little quarrel just because you didn't ask if she wanted children. She is an outrightly manipulative person, who I am afraid would hold you by jugulars until you do her bidding if you eventually get married.

And it might just be she's getting seemingly better offers somewhere else (you never can tell with these women)

Put your feet down and take charge like the man you are meant to be!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by NoBetterNigeria: 11:27pm On Jan 26, 2018
Same with me... i didn't propose oo

bid4rich:
Sorry, its not. I didn't propose to mine before we got married. She reminded me just like yours but my response is "will the propose make a home"? Emphatic NO! You may say I'm not romantic, that's your business. Ask her!

Till tomorrow, no propose but we are doing very great.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 26, 2018
Are you kidding me! Did you guys just woke up one morning and fixed a date for your wedding.. Hahahahaha, guy oya go and propose oo

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by mauricejude(m): 11:51pm On Jan 26, 2018
I must tell you, it not compulsory
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by wilyfalcone(m): 1:06am On Jan 27, 2018
JULIE1925:
grin

There's nothing wrong to propose.. Juz make sure the ring u will give is PAWNABLE grin
...i don laff tire,hmnnn nice one olx tins
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by id4sho(m): 2:59am On Jan 27, 2018
louken:
I did not propose to my wife before marrying her and we are very much enjoying our marriage now. We were dating and things were moving fine and I was becoming convinced that she is the woman for me; I casually told her that I would like to marry her. She probably didn't think I was serious. I bought some drinks and went straight to their house and declared my intention. Na there we fixed date o and preparations started. No time for proposal or engagement ring
3 gbosa for you. simple, straight forward and whole heartedly

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by YOMISKY1: 3:29am On Jan 27, 2018
[quote author=FromZeroToHero post=64474343]I recently had a little quarrel with my fiancee and she said I'm making her to have double mind over our forthcoming wedding. She even said that she can remember that I never asked her to marry me which means I did not propose her which is true. Is it mandatory that a guy must propose to a woman before marriage?

Asking her to marry you is just an assurance that you truly want her to marry you

Besides if you a truly the man, what's stopping you from proposing?

I beg, o ya do the needful

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by ImaIma1(f): 3:33am On Jan 27, 2018
Please do it. It is obviously important to her.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by darlenese(f): 3:57am On Jan 27, 2018
I've been married for 8years now,but my hubby hasn't proposed !
I'm still waiting for his proposal though .
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by kizyalex10(m): 4:49am On Jan 27, 2018
Its a pity that ladies re nw more concerend abt hw glamourous nd attractive their wedding nd d procedure will look like rather than hw successful their after married life will be.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 27, 2018
ME?.... propose?..... that was then, this is now!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by AvailableCofOLa(m): 6:59am On Jan 27, 2018
It all depends...
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by winfy11(m): 8:20am On Jan 27, 2018
Absolutely no buh she want you to be romantic, you can follow the trend if you wish buh not necessary
Re: Is It Compulsory To Propose Or Engage A Lady Before Marrying Her? by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:32am On Jan 27, 2018
Proposal injects an element of seriousness and purposiveness into the relationship.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladies, How Often Do You Desire Sex. As Much As Guys? / She Dumped Him Because He Wouldn't Give Her Head / So Far I Have Slept With 18 Married Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.