Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16329 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 8:09pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^ gamine i doubt that- they explained on the show

the fires are started by pockets of gas that develops

that makes plenty of sense

they wont set fire to the place and send fire men to take it out minutes later

(which im still wonderin why there firemen anyways!!)
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
Gamine:

The show won't start that because we were made to understand that they do get chased way from the dump
the fires were usually started to chase them away.

There will always be dumps but until the government provides alternatives for these people,
they know dump scavenging is here to stay.

What alternatives should the LASG provide? Besides the dumpsite in question has already been closed down so this program is out of date.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 8:14pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^ really??
why??
are they building something there or was it because of the scavengers
if they closed it down thats just terrible
its highly dissapointing where will they all go??

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 8:16pm On Apr 17, 2010
they wont set fire to the place and send fire men to take it out minutes later

(which im still wonderin why there firemen anyways!!)

Oh then i probably misunderstood and wondered about that.lol
The firemen sef, i could only laugh.

What  alternatives should the LASG provide? Besides the dumpsite in question has already been closed down so this program is out of date.

A better life for people, like jobs, e.tc i dont know anyone who would wake up one day
and decide that he would like to be a scavenger.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by uzooma4837: 8:18pm On Apr 17, 2010
watch the video by this link   http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4478117/welcome_to_lagos/

and that shows the area we should work on: fight against corruption by stopping any corrupt regime from going further along the line.
monkeys work baboos eat.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by uzooma4837: 8:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
i would also think that the fire could also be started by hot ash or coke or coal or wood that was in domestic or industrial bins and unknowingly dumped on the site. slowly gradually these hot spots could get hotter and fire would then spread by the help of naturally occurring highly inflammable gases.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Ilelobola: 9:39pm On Apr 17, 2010
For those saying the dump site has been closed, the closing credits of the programme give the year as MMX (2010). I'm not a media production expert but does that not mean the programme was made this year? And when I went to Lagos in December 09 the dump site was there.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by na2day2(m): 10:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
Gamine:

Oh then i probably misunderstood and wondered about that.lol
The firemen sef, i could only laugh.

A better life for people, like jobs, e.tc i dont know anyone who would wake up one day
and decide that he would like to be a scavenger.

oh baby, u r back! glad 2 c ya! miss u much kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by SixoNine: 8:23am On Apr 18, 2010
I'm always fascinated by the arrogance and ignorance of the average Nigerian. Upset because the documentary is focused around the slums of Lagos and not Ikoyi, Lekki or Victoria Island. Ikoyi, Lekki and Victoria Island represent less than 1% of Nigerians. You have a pool of around 10,000 wealthy Nigerians compared to the 140million and counting people who live on average $1 per day. You probably have a work force of around 2million who earn between N100,000 and N2million per annum. Around 100,000 people will earn between N3million and N30million per annum. Lagos is not a wealthy place. The majority are STRUGGLING to survive, there is extreme poverty, strife, hunger and homelessness. Trying to discredit the BBC for spending close to 2years putting together this interesting, positive and informative documentary because it challenges your ego and pride does not detract from the truth. If you are so irritated by the portrayal of Nigeria in the media, go back to your country and build it yourself instead of clamoring at embassies for US and British visas and passports. Nigerians that live abroad have lost touch with the reality in Lagos. 99.9% of the rich people that live on the Island have stolen their wealth from Nigeria, there is nothing commendable to film amongst a bunch of thieves. This documentary shows the true spirit of the people that make up the country, not the thieves that continue to plunder, destroy and rob that nation blind. If you can't handle it, take a camera and go and film your own documentary about the lives of the elite. This is a real documentary, with real people in a real place that exists till today. Support your country by moving back!!!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tegasgirl(f): 8:31am On Apr 18, 2010
Sixonine, that is probably the smartest post I've ever seen on Nairaland, well said!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 10:29am On Apr 18, 2010
Insert Quote
I'm always fascinated by the arrogance and ignorance of the average Nigerian. Upset because the documentary is focused around the slums of Lagos and not Ikoyi, Lekki or Victoria Island. Ikoyi, Lekki and Victoria Island represent less than 1% of Nigerians. You have a pool of around 10,000 wealthy Nigerians compared to the 140million and counting people who live on average $1 per day. You probably have a work force of around 2million who earn between N100,000 and N2million per annum. Around 100,000 people will earn between N3million and N30million per annum. Lagos is not a wealthy place. The majority are STRUGGLING to survive, there is extreme poverty, strife, hunger and homelessness. Trying to discredit the BBC for spending close to 2years putting together this interesting, positive and informative documentary because it challenges your ego and pride does not detract from the truth. If you are so irritated by the portrayal of Nigeria in the media, go back to your country and build it yourself instead of clamoring at embassies for US and British visas and passports. Nigerians that live abroad have lost touch with the reality in Lagos. 99.9% of the rich people that live on the Island have stolen their wealth from Nigeria, there is nothing commendable to film amongst a bunch of thieves. This documentary shows the true spirit of the people that make up the country, not the thieves that continue to plunder, destroy and rob that nation blind. If you can't handle it, take a camera and go and film your own documentary about the lives of the elite. This is a real documentary, with real people in a real place that exists till today. Support your country by moving back!!!!

Smart post until,
How does moving back, support the country?? undecided
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 18, 2010
D ansa 2 posters question is dat news is no news til its bad.but funy enof am sure d british govt/citizens or security wil neva alow a nigerian video d bad side of britain n put it on nta or ait.dia moto is 'wot is gud 4 d goose myt not be gud 4 d gander'
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2010
SixoNine:

***standing ovation*** ***standing ovation**** brilliant post you are absolutely and totally correct, this post is 100% tru! i totally agree with you

God bless you for this

@gamine everyones presence and initiative will contribute economically to nigeria
when people run away fron the country it doesnt help at all
there are many nigerian business owners bank managers phd researchers and economic advisors in london

dont you think we need more of these people developing home??
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 1:34pm On Apr 18, 2010
ayettymama:

@gamine everyones presence and initiative will contribute economically to nigeria
when people run away fron the country it doesnt help at all
there are many nigerian business owners bank managers phd researchers and economic advisors in london
dont you think we need more of these people developing home??

You forget that those who were out were once in and that did not change things. I am with Gamine, moving back will not change things. I would rather people ONLY move back if THEY REALLY BELIEVE they have an idea to change Nigeria for good from the inside. The last thing we need is another wave of diasporans come back in the name of "change" only to come get their share of the national cake. I cannot tell you how many such I have seen. Most every interview with diaporans usually ends with them having more money, higher post, houses than they could have if they had stayed back abroad. I am not sure that is the definition of CHANGE for Nigeria.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 2:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You forget that those who were out were once in and that did not change things. I am with Gamine, moving back will not change things. I would rather people ONLY move back if THEY REALLY BELIEVE they have an idea to change Nigeria for good from the inside. The last thing we need is another wave of diasporans come back in the name of "change" only to come get their share of the national cake. I cannot tell you how many such I have seen. Most every interview with diaporans usually ends with them having more money, higher post, houses than they could have if they had stayed back abroad. I am not sure that is the definition of CHANGE for Nigeria.

it's pretty basic dear its not difficult to understand at all

its not to do with belief or sentiments, its to do with skilled proffesionals
if ur making a contribution where u are (most people dont)- then u can make the same contribution back home

there are nigerian politians down here doin very well in thier constituencies

do u think they cant do well at home??

why do u think the gov.t are constantly calling for people to come home??
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2010
ayettymama:

it's pretty basic dear its not difficult to understand at all. its not to do with belief or sentiments, its to do with skilled proffesionals

Skilled in what? Anything different from what the most recent wave of diasporans who moved back to Nigeria in the last 10 years brought with them?

ayettymama:

if your making a contribution where u are (most people dont)- then u can make the same contribution back home
But, how do you apply the above to the many diasporans, currently in Nigeria, who see Nigeria as a place to make lots of money and nothing else?

ayettymama:

there are nigerian politians down here doin very well in thier constituencies
How many of them are diasporans? I am sure you are not speaking of the Tinubus’, the Bankole, or our many other come back home diaporans who have made millions ignoring change according to the way you preach it etc

ayettymama:

do u think they cant do well at home??
I believe they can only do well at home if they have a real passion to change things at home. As we should have learnt by now, after 10 years of bringing them in, it is not necessarily the case that all persons can change Nigeria from within. Some are better outside to continue sending money back home for those who really care to change things to continue working.

ayettymama:

why do u think the gov.t are constantly calling for people to come home??
I do not know exactly why governments are constantly calling for people to come home. I do know people down there with enough skills to cause change but are ignored so some person from abroad can come in to steal opportunities that ought to go to locals. At the end of the day, you still have the unemployed, and next to no positive change (except some superficial), but diasporas with fatter wallets and an ego to boot.

I am in no way saying all Diasporas are the same, but it is hard to miss the fact that it has been 10 years and instead of recording tremendous progress, even with all the PROFESSIONAL skills injection, the locals are still lacking in so many areas. We have fancy new structures in most places but unemployment, poverty rate continue to shoot high, and it does not seem to be going away anytime soon, if we continue to believe our saviors are those abroad.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 5:38pm On Apr 18, 2010
Waxxy:

i loved it so much, everyone at work that saw it had nothing but sincere praise for the resilient and hardworking Lagosians.  I can't wait for the Makoko episode. Makoko is a riverine ghetto i am priviledged to know its nooks and crannies very well because a few under priviledged classmates of mine from secondary school lived there. Most of these guys outperformed me despite my seemingly superior primary education and incessant private after-school tuition. most of them are now graduates working in major companies in Lagos.

Makoko will not be very different from the dumpsite scenario from  what i know and from the little snippet ive seen. people wanting to see lekki and VGC should keep thier fingers crossed, maybe next year, lol

They live in Makoko and finished university?

Hmm, I throway salute dem way. I have nothing but respect for them.

And some half wit slowpoke from a rich home would now go to a redbrick uni and now think he is superior? undecided
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2010
SixoNine:

Don't mind the[b] Ovation [/b]magazine patronisers.

Dem wan see thief and celebrate his "achievements". undecided
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tdmoggy: 11:23pm On Apr 18, 2010
I always used to get very angry at seing negative images and potrayal of nigeria in the western media.

But after watching this episode on bbc iplayer, i really thought it through and realised that we are indeed a nation that does not care for our own (as if i did not know before!). If these dumps did not exist, there will be nothing this degrading to show about Nigeria. I really wish these epiodes will be aired in Lagos state assembly, and in the federal cabinet, and in all city halls in nigeria.

Isn't it sad that this is the same oil rich Nigeria where some people become extremely wealthy, and send their kids to school in nthe west. I could not stop crying after a while, as i realised how fortunate my life has been in comparison. When i think of how my own kids are growing up, and see the squalor and poverty displayed in this episode, i really really dont blame the western media.

This is like looking in the mirror, and seing something you know exists but would rather not be seen by outsiders. Sadly enough, episode 2  promises to be worse, as the focus is on the water logged ghetto squats in lagos. Our leaders should really all be ashamed,  If you are a Nigerian and have not seen this, i really encourage you to watch it online. (link below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3bmx/Welcome_to_Lagos_Episode_1/
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ekoree: 2:45am On Apr 19, 2010
The time has come for us to start presenting a different picture of us from the one being presented by the bbcs of the west. One line after the other, a frame after another, we need to re-write our own story. Someday, the balance will tilt in our favour. No one is going to do it for us. We might not have a large enough platform to project, but we can start with we have. Write our own stories. Document through photography. Shoot our own documentaries. We have already started, in our own little way. Join us.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2010
Sagamite:

Don't mind the[b] Ovation [/b]magazine patronisers.

Dem wan see thief and celebrate his "achievements". undecided

well said.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2010
I want to help Gabriel, Joseph, his wifey and his two daughters financially so if anyone knows how I can get in contact with them, pls mail me or if anyone1 has their contact number.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 2:28pm On Apr 19, 2010
SixoNine:

GBAM!!!!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 3:23pm On Apr 19, 2010
thameamead:

I want to help Gabriel, Joseph, his wifey and his two daughters financially so if anyone knows how I can get in contact with them, pls mail me or if anyone1 has their contact number.

Have you tried contacting the BBC?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 3:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
Eric aka Vocal Slender now has his own wiki page. grin At this rate this guy is going to be bigger than Tuface, lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Obuh
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by eros(m): 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
Welcome to LAS GIDI reloaded. cool cool wink wink
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 19, 2010
Next episode of welcome to Lagos is this Thursday 22nd same time at 21.00pm on BBC2.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 6:08pm On Apr 20, 2010
Someone just told me that this documentary was filmed in 2005,
i wonder how true that is,
but the issues are obviously still relevant, today.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by na2day2(m): 7:17pm On Apr 20, 2010
Gamine:

Someone just told me that this documentary was filmed in 2005,
i wonder how true that is,
but the issues are obviously still relevant, today.

baby, i greet u for thread u bone me! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by HellaBella(f): 10:04pm On Apr 20, 2010
Just watched it. Had to struggle to find a link that's viewable outside of the UK but I finally found one.

Anyways, I quite liked it. I thought it was insightful in numerous ways. Yes, it shows one slum in Lagos, however what they showed is what the people in that area experience. I guess we should wait to see the entire series and then really weigh in.

Oh and I respect Joseph Orji. Even after his hard life he still manages to smile. oooo and his kids are so cute!!!! grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
post the link please. . . I have seen about 30 minutes of it from some online linkes but would like to see the rest

I respect that man too ooo! I really do.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 12:39am On Apr 21, 2010
so you havent watched it, here is a link

http://www./dapxin

He has the video in four parts

baby, i greet u for thread u bone me!

Sorry, but you know, undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

PHCN No Service No Pay Poster / TraderMoni: Why We Are Giving N10,000 Collateral Free Loans – Presidency / FG Approves $2.3b For Coastal Rail Line Development.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.