Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16332 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by buffox: 2:38am On Apr 17, 2010
Here is a brilliant analysis of the article by a brilliant young lady. I could not agree agree anymore.

[size=13pt]Manifestation of Unity in Nigeria[/size]
Thursday, 15 April 2010 22:41

By Munira Adama

Eric Obuh: He’s not a politician, an engineer, a doctor, nothing of such import.
He is a Nigerian. A scavenger. Olasosun dump site. Welcome to Lagos.
I just finished watching the BBC2 production titled ‘Welcome to Lagos’ which I will say was a rude shock, putting it mildly.
I never knew we had places like that, the extent of my knowledge on poverty in Lagos was Ajegunle, Isale Eko, Makoko. Olasosun?? Never heard of it, well until now. There are a lot of lessons to be taken away from this 1 hr reality jolt.
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice their level of spoken English? Wow! Needless to say, we aren’t doing badly as a nation.

These are people many of us like to look upon as miscreants, the dregs of the society, the ne’er do wells etc. But, with this portrayal of them, they have single handedly put paid to such notions.

Their organisation is another thing that had me. They had a well organised system of governance where the chairman was someone everyone could relate to, he wasn’t a dictator, nor was he any form of ‘omnipotent’. Maybe our leaders can come to Olasosun for a crash course in governance.

Joseph, another patron of Olasosun, is introduced. He is a married man, with a family to cater for, and his love for his wife and children shines through his every word, his actions.

What drives him? His love for his family. It makes him go out there and strive to earn a living so he can provide for them. He seemingly is content with his lot in life. Can he serve as role model for some of the men of our class? What drives them? The lust to have more money. The greed to be the richest man they know. The love for all things luxurious. It might provide for their family at the end of the day, but it doesn’t come attached with love and feeling. Yet again, the people of Olasosun triumph.

The cow market.

Interactions between people from all over Nigeria, I had to stop watching for a minute, and clarify that this was actually Nigeria. Is this the same Nigeria where Fulani and Birom can’t live in Jos together? Same Nigeria where people agitate for a division every day? How come this Fulani man is arm in arm with this Yoruba man? How come there is so much unity in this market? Or are these people mutants of the true Nigerian man? Or maybe these are the real Nigerians while those who do the agitation have lost touch with reality.

This is our reality; this is what the situation truly is. As much as it pains me to say, many of us, in fact all those who are going to read this note, share my same myopic view of our nation. We are filled with the politics we fail to see the human angle.

These are the masses. I dare to say that the people featured in this programme are even better informed than I am. Yes. They are on the street, they know what they want, what is lacking, while I sit in the luxury of my generator powered home, behind the screen of my Toshiba laptop and spew words about injustices and corruption. Maybe if I took a day out of my life and lived the life of a scavenger, I would sing a different tune.
‘This is where you see the unity of Nigeria in manifestation’ says Eric Obuh. No truer words have ever been spoken.

I see a number of my country men have taken to bashing BBC for showing us what is in our backyard. I would rather thank BBC for opening my eyes up to seeing the truth about my country. That we have ghettos doesn’t take away from our dignity, instead, we should look to see what can be salvaged from these ghettos. This is a sore we have to clean up not cover it up with bandage and let it fester.

This documentary shows beyond the pictures. Beyond the spoken. It shows us the future of our country, not the poverty but the unity, the organisation, the camaraderie, the resourcefulness, the optimism, the vigour for life, the justice that can prevail, the honesty, the good People, the great Nation.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Chib4u: 6:44am On Apr 17, 2010
You can listen to vocal slender on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHHUxYOjjw
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by crown22: 7:09am On Apr 17, 2010
NO MATTER ALL THE EFFORTS OF BBC AND CNN TO POTRAY US TO THEIR VIEWERS IN A NEGATIVE WAY
NIGERIA IS A GREAT COUNTRY
AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN A GREAT COUNTRY
NO AMOUNT OF BAD PUBLICITY CAN BRING US DOWN AGAIN
WE ARE DETERMINED TO MOVE FORWARD
BBC IF YOU HAVE NO GREAT NEWS TO COVER JUST AIR FELA VIDEOS
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 8:16am On Apr 17, 2010
yu guys didnt watch the show tehy are not trying to portray anything
they are showing how these people are soo poor and still love and trust each other!!
i think the show is absolutely brilliant!!
its opened my eys to soo much reality

afetr watching that i realised theres a whole new world in the slums

one that even those of us that are priveledged dont have
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by BBCLagos: 12:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
There are slums everywhere in the world particularly in the third world and Nigeria is no exception. This programme has shown that Nigerians are indeed happy people in doing whatever they elect to do,enterprising, God fearing, lawful,strive to achieve whatever they set out to do,have family values, great recyclers and so many other positives.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by monkeyleg: 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
a refreshing take. Please read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/apr/16/welcome-to-lagos-sam-wollaston

I love this part

"I'm heading out there now, because I've seen a gap in the market, the cattle market at Oluwainshola, that is. They say that, what with Gabriel doing his thing with the blood, nothing is wasted, every part of the animal is used – apart from the hair, that is, which is thrown away. I'm thinking there's got to be something you can do with a cow's hair isn't there? Hair extensions? Wigs? For wags?
"
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 1:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^ that was plenty funny! lol
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by citizenY(m): 1:18pm On Apr 17, 2010
oRDINARY FOLK ARE GETTING ON WITH THEIR LIVES. THE ELITE IS BUSY DIVIDING,DISENFRANCHISING THEM
STEALING AND WASTING WHAT REMAINS OF THE COMMON WEALTH. THERE IS A LESSON IN THIS POSTcry
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 2:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
I watched it on BBC Iplayer, i was in tears, I
It was moving to see Joseph working over time to pay for his daughter's birthday party.

I hope Eric the wannabe singer makes it, he looked really nice in his publicity pictures for his CD single,

I hope he does not get involved with any more fights, I hope he's learnt his lesson.

I was impressed with Gabriel the guy that studied Agricultural Science @ college, I hope he goes places.

Erica the Chairman is my favourite, I love the way he dealt with the Eric and teh gut he grassed.

WOW, the documentary was an eye opener for me, shame on all those corrupt politicians.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
OMG, his song is on you tube,
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2010
I think the fight was just a mishap, he must have been drunk.
Because he was really remorseful.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Ilelobola: 2:25pm On Apr 17, 2010
crown22:

NO MATTER ALL THE EFFORTS OF BBC AND CNN TO POTRAY US TO THEIR VIEWERS IN A NEGATIVE WAY
NIGERIA IS A GREAT COUNTRY
AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN A GREAT COUNTRY
NO AMOUNT OF BAD PUBLICITY CAN BRING US DOWN AGAIN
WE ARE DETERMINED TO MOVE FORWARD
BBC IF YOU HAVE NO GREAT NEWS TO COVER JUST AIR FELA VIDEOS

Perhaps the BBC programme just wanted to show how people survive in the midst of so much poverty? Why don't we question why these people seem to have been forgotten in Gov BRF's modernisation of Lagos or other adminstrations before him? Surely the megacity can't be just for the middle class and the top echelons of society.

"NIGERIA IS A GREAT COUNTRY" will not happen just because we say it is and we all know it isn't. Perhaps if the media showed us what's wrong with our society, maybe it might actually prick the conscience of our elected officials and really spur them to do what's right. And maybe it can be a GREAT country in time for my children's generation and beyond.

Y can't we make things work in Nigeria? Kilode? Because some people believe the common wealth is their family wealth? However much they embezzle one thing is sure for everyone; death, and when it happens I'm sure they won't be taking their $s, £s, €s, and Ns with them.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by monkeyleg: 3:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
This was an excellent programme and should be seen in that light. Funny enuff, this might have a positive effect on Nigeria's image in general. "Good people Great Nation" comes to mind. People hustling in the face of great adversity, showing what can be done from nothing. Puts a real human feel to the whole experience. Soemthing the west can learn from us.

Do you know what happens, when you do have a job in the west? the government takes care of you, you are on welfare and they take care of your needs, but not so for us. We struggle, fight, prepared to dig up trash and sell, determined to make a living from nothing. I am of the opinion that this scene is being played out in most cities of Nigeria, that is why we do so well when we leave our shores.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2010
Gamine:

i think the guy tried to embarass him in front of his friends
what lead to the fighting
thats how they behave in lagos
throw bottle first talk later
its just a shame kazim was permanantly wounded
soo was slender- they really need to do something to control gang fightin in lagos
its overly out of hand
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tegasgirl(f): 4:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
I think what the BBC was trying to do was put across is that people in Nigeria just get on with life. There are people who have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and they get on with it. They do what they have to do to survive. Look at the guy who's daughter turned one (his name escapes me right now), he worked extra hard, didn't moan once so that he could put one bottle of Pepsi and one bottle of Miranda on a small table ( it just me or did that cake look hella yummy?) and he was content.

Also look at the guy who decided to start selling the cow's blood. He did something innovative.

I loves me some Slender!!!!! He busted me out when he was posing in his photoshoot for his album sleeve!!!!

Thank God the BBC was there when they caught that thief, they would have killed homeboy!

I for one am proud of Nigeria and they way the program came across

Cant wait for next week, I remember going to Makoko with my parents to buy fish when I was younger!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2010
tegasgirl:

I think what the BBC was trying to do was put across is that people in Nigeria just get on with life. There are people who have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and they get on with it. They do what they have to do to survive. Look at the guy who's daughter turned one (his name escapes me right now), he worked extra hard, didn't moan once so that he could put one bottle of Pepsi and one bottle of Miranda on a small table ( it just me or did that cake look hella yummy?) and he was content.

Also look at the guy who decided to start selling the cow's blood. He did something innovative.

I loves me some Slender!!!!! He busted me out when he was posing in his photoshoot for his album sleeve!!!!

Thank God the BBC was there when they caught that thief, they would have killed homeboy!

I for one am proud of Nigeria and they way the program came across

Cant wait for next week, I remember going to Makoko with my parents to buy fish when I was younger!

i was actually scared for the boy as well, i thot theyd kill him, that wouldnt have even been funny|!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 17, 2010
ayettymama:

i think the guy tried to embarass him in front of his friends
what lead to the fighting
thats how they behave in lagos
throw bottle first talk later
its just a shame kazim was permanantly wounded
soo was slender- they really need to do something to control gang fightin in lagos
its overly out of hand
Actions have consequences. The idea of using knives or broken bottles to resolve conflicts is the issue here. It all boils down to anger management
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Ilelobola: 4:44pm On Apr 17, 2010
Gamine:

Being drunk is no excuse. If you can't handle the drink- don't touch it.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 4:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
tensor777:

Actions have consequences. The idea of using knives or broken bottles to resolve conflicts is the issue here. It all boils down to anger management

inno wat ur saying, buit seriously its not anger management
for some reason lagosians are just stupid
when they do these things they dont mean to kill or seriously injure
they just mean to do little damage
its what they do and people die from it
but its still common, i think there should be better policing in parties and heavier sentences
lagosians (well the hardcore ones) are waaay too aggressive and they take that ill behavoir everywhere they go

its pathetic
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
Vocal Slender's music is now on Itunes. I love that song 'Owo yappa' and I have gotten my copy for just 79p. grin

Nigerians please go over to Itunes and support our Bro, Slender. Lets see if we can get him into the top 10. It would be really funny if Vocal Slender knocked Usher of of the no.1 spot, lol cool

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/vocal-slender/id362320852
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tegasgirl(f): 5:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
EloSela:

Vocal Slender's music is now on Itunes. I love that song 'Owo yappa' and I have gotten my copy for just 79p. grin

Nigerians please go over to Itunes and support our Bro, Slender. Lets see if we can get him into the top 10. It would be really funny if Vocal Slender knocked Usher of of the no.1 spot, lol cool

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/vocal-slender/id362320852

Wow!!! Nigerians, please let's support him!!!!!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 6:12pm On Apr 17, 2010
has anyone noticed this show can take a bad turn??

what if the gov.t all of a sudden gets embarrased by the program and decides to chase all the scavengers from the dumpsters??

we all know they are very capable of doing it?? and its obvious the documentary is widely misinterpreted!

just a thot. . . . . . . . . . .

[size=4pt]neways fashola is a good man thats prob not a worry[/size]
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tegasgirl(f): 6:16pm On Apr 17, 2010
ayettymama:

what if the gov.t all of a sudden gets embarrased by the program and decides to chase all the scavengers from the dumpsters??

we all know they are very capable of doing it?? and its obvious the documentary is widely misinterpreted!

the thing is that it is Nigerians misinterpreting the documentary. It is a really inspiring program
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 6:18pm On Apr 17, 2010
ayettymama:

just a thot. . . . . . . .  . . .

If the Nigerian government did that then they would be further exposed to the world with pressure groups like Amnesty International and possibly the UN getting involved.

There is a link here for non UK residents to watch part 1.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/49745-bbc-2-thursday-9pm-15th-april-2010-watch-welcome-lagos.html#post445090
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 6:18pm On Apr 17, 2010
ayettymama:

It is possible, even likely the government will do that, I mean this is the same government that clear places like Oshodi, Yaba/Tejuosho, Mile 12, Idumota to name a few. However, this problem is not unique to Lagos state, If it is this way in Lagos, imaginen what scavengers in other states have to live with?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by nguage(m): 6:43pm On Apr 17, 2010
More than anything, I'm happy the young musician now has a shot at living a better life and moving away from the slums. Lovely.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by nguage(m): 6:54pm On Apr 17, 2010
I love the opening by Vocal Slender

"Well, my name is Eric . . . Obuh - AKA "Vocal Slender" from Lagos, Nigeria. We are in the dumpsite. You can see, now, the people, the scavengers are following the bus to select some scrap from the refuse. . . and very soon I'm joining them."

Such charisma and charm he has, even while "selecting."
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
ayettymama:

You in fact should expect the LASG to close down the site as  soon as possible.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
n-guage:

I love the opening by Vocal Slender

"Well, my name is Eric . . . Obuh - AKA "Vocal Slender" from Lagos, Nigeria. We are in the dumpsite. You can see, now, the people, the scavengers are following the bus to select some scrap from the refuse. . . and very soon I'm joining them."

Such charisma and charm he has, even while "selecting."

your very right- even thier spoken english is absolutely amazing
its suprising most of these people are very learned
and intelligent people, its just the circumstance
i hope a dvd comes out- ill be the first to cop it!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ceecee(m): 7:16pm On Apr 17, 2010
PLS If you are on facebook you can join in supporting this guy-vocal slender.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113914018637142&ref=ts&v=info#!/group.php?gid=113914018637142
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by nguage(m): 7:37pm On Apr 17, 2010
monkeyleg:

a refreshing take. Please read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/apr/16/welcome-to-lagos-sam-wollaston

I love this part

"I'm heading out there now, because I've seen a gap in the market, the cattle market at Oluwainshola, that is. They say that, what with Gabriel doing his thing with the blood, nothing is wasted, every part of the animal is used – apart from the hair, that is, which is thrown away. I'm thinking there's got to be something you can do with a cow's hair isn't there? Hair extensions? Wigs? For wags?
"

Reminds me of this part from Upton Sinclair's The Jungle
""They don't waste anything here," said the guide, and then he laughed and added a witticism, which he was pleased that his unsophisticated friends should take to be his own: "They use everything about the hog except the squeal." In front of Brown's General Office building there grows a tiny plot of grass, and this, you may learn, is the only bit of green thing in Packingtown; likewise this jest about the hog and his squeal, the stock in trade of all the guides, is the one gleam of humor that you will find there."
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 7:52pm On Apr 17, 2010

The show won't start that because we were made to understand that they do get chased way from the dump
the fires were usually started to chase them away.

There will always be dumps but until the government provides alternatives for these people,
they know dump scavenging is here to stay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Dokpesi Arrives PDP Secretariat In Benue State (photos) / I Support The Struggle For The Independence Of Palestine – Senator Sani Shehu / President Mohammed Buhari Congratulates APC And Adegboyega Isiaka Oyetola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.